E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-15-2010, 07:28 PM   #61
325myAZ

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliikata View Post
hi all i'm new here but i read the forum with interest ! now i decided to write about my problem ....

i replaced the FSR , because my fan was working even when i switch off my car . i read about that FSR thing and replaced it with original one. then all was working like it was brand new . here comes the thing ..... yesterday i started my car and switched on my fan , without AC and in didn't work at all . i put it to max fan speed and nothing , swithed on my ac - nothing ....i had to go to the center of the town and as i was driving with the fan speed set ot maximum it suddenly started blowing , everything was working fine again .... this morning i went again to the car and everything was fine , but everytime before i switch off my car i turn off the acc and in few minutes i turn off the fan and then i turn the car off .

any suggestions what might be the problem .... ?

sorry for my english , hope yoy can understand what i have written

wish you health and happiness !
Welcome to the forum! Don't worry about your English... you did a great job.

You might want to check that the FSR is properly connected, and you might want to make sure that you used an original BMW FSR from your dealer. I don't know what sort of suppliers you have in Bulgaria, so I don't know if the aftermarket parts are reliable. If your FSR isn't from BMW, that COULD be the problem. If you can find an FSR made by Behr, then you should be OK, because Behr makes them for BMW.

Last edited by 325myAZ; 07-15-2010 at 07:35 PM.
325myAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:55 PM   #62
nukesnow

My Ride: 2002 330i
Fsr

Car:
  • 2002 BMW 330i
  • 103,000 Miles
Problem
  • Fan/Blower Pulsated, i.e. sounded like fan was dying
  • Fan eventually stopped working
  • After Fan stopped working, electronic controls worked, but did not control A/C
  • Electronic electronic thermostat controls operated just as if the fan was working, even though the fan did not.
Solution

I first called two local dealers for the part, one quoted a price of $140USD and the second a price of $190USD: I bought it for $70 USD from http://www.rmeuropean.com/ for $70USD and paid $25 for overnight. Still cheaper than local dealers as I could not stand the heat w/o A/C.

IT WORKED! It was the Final Stage Unit

A few notes about installing
  • The new part you order and receive will most likely look different than the one you pull out
  • You need to remove the wires to the glovebox for light -- you can't work with this in the way
  • Be careful with all the plastic pieces, I was concerned they were easy to break
  • On a US car, the location of the FSU is: If you are sitting in the passenger seat, it would be 12-15 inches from you left knee along the center console.
  • It is not above the glovebox
  • Use magnetized screwdrivers or a magnetizer
  • Get the log TORX T-20 screwdriver, mine was 6" from Sears
  • MY FSU did not have any screws, only need to press a clip.
  • To access the FSU, I moved the passenger all the way back and reclined the seat. Then I sat on the seat with my feet on the headrest and head on the floor. Just like seating upside down...
  • Good lighting is key. I used my brother.
  • You need to move the plastic piece above the kickboard with the light behind glovebox. Just be careful due to the plastic nature of the item
  • Takes about 1 hours to take off glovebox, read instructions, maneuver body, take out part, see times below.
  • It is quite easy to do and if you know how to use a screwdriver and read instructions, you should have no problem.

Times
  • A. 3 Minutes -- Take off glovebox
  • B. 2 Minutes -- Remove wires for glovebox
  • C. 5 Minutes remove plastic piece behind glovebox
  • D. 18 Minutes figure out the place the FSU lives
  • E. 10 Minutes figure out a position to work upside down
  • F. 5 Minutes take out component in front of FSU
  • G. 2 Minutes take out FSU
  • H. 3 Minutes replace and install new FSU
  • F.1 5 Minutes to put component back in place in front of FSU
  • C.1 3 Minutes to put light/kick board back in place
  • B.1 1 Minutes to reconnect wires for glovebox
  • A.1 3 Minutes to reposition and install glovebox
nukesnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:35 AM   #63
miiikey31

My Ride: 00 BMW 323CI Coupe
finished today
miiikey31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:10 PM   #64
JLondon

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
I have 180k miles on my 328Ci and looks like my FSR is shot...again. I replaced it at about 100k miles. How come they don't last longer and can they be "cleaned" or fixed?
JLondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:40 AM   #65
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLondon View Post
I have 180k miles on my 328Ci and looks like my FSR is shot...again. I replaced it at about 100k miles. How come they don't last longer and can they be "cleaned" or fixed?
Is it possible to open up the FSR?

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:51 PM   #66
itzsalane

My Ride: 2003 325i
on top of only blowing really low or really high, my fan/ac continues to blow even with the car turned off. will replacing the final stage unit fix this problem also?
itzsalane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:17 PM   #67
JLondon

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzsalane View Post
on top of only blowing really low or really high, my fan/ac continues to blow even with the car turned off. will replacing the final stage unit fix this problem also?
We hope so since this is why my battery is dead!!
Old 08-08-2010, 07:41 PM   #68
itzsalane

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLondon View Post
We hope so since this is why my battery is dead!!
my battery JUST died about an hour ago. i'm gonna have my bf replace my FSR asap .
itzsalane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:37 PM   #69
YMMV

My Ride: '01 330 CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by itzsalane View Post
yup, the fan speed was erratic and continue even after engine shutoff. replacing the FSR fixed the problem for me.
YMMV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:44 PM   #70
JLondon

Just replaced. What a pain in the A$$. Took me about 45 minutes, since it looked familiar from the last time I did it several years ago. FYI, solved the problem.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:37 PM   #71
jpawela

My Ride: 2000 323i
My problem was inconsistent fans speeds and sometimes not working at all. Then after a while, the fan just didn't work permanently. It stayed like this for months until I finally got around to buying one. Just replaced it this afternoon and though it was a pain in the rear, it worked and I'm super happy.

2000 323i a/t smokes redouts authentic Berlin plate blk chrome grille debadge style 119s sharpie mod blk chrome exhaust tips lots of plans & love.
jpawela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:14 PM   #72
hockey_fan

My Ride: 2000 323i
I had a few puffs of white smoke come out of the dash vents before the blower motor started working erratically. Did anyone else have this? By reading the posts here....I am pretty sure I have a FSR failure also. Thanks for the DIY...I will attempt this after I get the part.
hockey_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:12 PM   #73
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickna View Post
Is it possible to open up the FSR?
If you're talking about opening up an OLD FSR... it's not possible without destroying it, because it's completely sealed by resin. You're likely crack the PCB while attempting it.

Reference:
New FSR on the left vs an old OE FSR on the right:

Last edited by BimmersGarage; 09-14-2010 at 07:20 PM.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:04 AM   #74
madrv1

My Ride: 323ci 2000
Thanks for the post... I got it done with no issues thanks to this instructions.
UUC Shortshift w/ DSSR, UUC RK6A-L Shift Knob, Staggered 18" Breyton's Inspirations, Smoke Corners, 76" Dual Tip Remus Catback, Conforti CAI and Shark Software, H&R Sport Springs and Sway bars, and Bilstein Sports Shocks, 3.46 diff, UCC Pulleys.
madrv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:11 PM   #75
truajb

My Ride: 2002 325xi
i replaced the FSR today. It didn't take me long to find it and to remove the two torx screws holding the module in front of it. Unfortunately I couldn't remove the FSR from the clip. So I decided just to unplug the connector from the old and plug it in to the new. Left the new sitting in the space there. Is this going to be an issue?
truajb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:21 PM   #76
BimmersGarage

^
YES! That's going to cause your brand new FSR to prematurely FAIL, due to the fact that there won't be adequate air flow over the heatsink/vanes.
The PCB/circuits within the FSR gets extremely warm... and needs to be cool properly. If you don't believe, just grab a hold of it after you have the A/C fan blowing for a few minutes.

Last edited by BimmersGarage; 09-26-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:08 PM   #77
madrv1

My Ride: 323ci 2000
Yeah, I agree... give it another try... you must push towards the front of the car. not much wiggle room in there but it can be done.
UUC Shortshift w/ DSSR, UUC RK6A-L Shift Knob, Staggered 18" Breyton's Inspirations, Smoke Corners, 76" Dual Tip Remus Catback, Conforti CAI and Shark Software, H&R Sport Springs and Sway bars, and Bilstein Sports Shocks, 3.46 diff, UCC Pulleys.
madrv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:03 PM   #78
truajb

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Thanks guys. I was struggling for about 45 min and couldn't get the crap out. I can only put one hand in there and it makes prying the clip and removing the unit impossible. If I push the clip toward the front of the vehicle will the FSR slide out. That thing seems to be really tight. Thanks.
truajb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:05 PM   #79
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmersGarage View Post
If you're talking about opening up an OLD FSR... it's not possible without destroying it, because it's completely sealed by resin. You're likely crack the PCB while attempting it.

Reference:
New FSR on the left vs an old OE FSR on the right:

Roger that. I don't even remember why I asked...LOL

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:30 PM   #80
BimmersGarage

^
Funny.
Well.. just remember to have a cold beer then.

Tags
fan surge, final stage, fsr