E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #241
lkstaack

My Ride: 04 330iZHP, 05 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Enthusiast20 View Post
Do I need to clear my codes so they go away for good? I have inspection next week.
Some, perhaps all, fault codes are stored even after the fault is no longer present. You won't be failed based on a stored fault code. Being the paranoid person that I am though, I would clear stored codes indicating a problem with my cats prior to a smog test.

However, you probably know that you will fail a smog check if you clear fault codes prior to a test. An entire emissions cycle must be completed prior to the test after clearing OBD codes. This cycle typically takes 50+ miles of city and highway driving, plus cold starts over a period of days. I recall reading on the internets what exactly must be completed for a complete cycle; search if you care. Its pretty involved, but is usually achieved over 3-5 days of regular driving.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #242
F1004fun

My Ride: '02 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamine View Post
For everyone who removed their stock post O2 sensors, why are you wiring up 2 resistors? Can't you just run both of the post o2 heater wires to the same resistor?
The DME will set a fault as it monitors the heater circuits independently and will notice if it's wires are crossed. I did that back in the beginning when I was figuring this out, and I think it was like a "short to ground" kind of fault.

Quote:
Guys no CEL but those two codes are still showing up in my pocket scanner..... I've driven more than 50 miles with it off already.
With OBDII you won't actually see the check engine light untill you get two complete drive cycles with failures back to back. But it is a fault because you are seeing it with your scanner.
Have you replaced your pre-cat O2 sensors yet?
Did you FREE-AIR calibrate the LC-1?
If you have an volt meter you can even check the output of the LC-1 to make sure you are getting about .650V at idle. If all this has been checked and you have set the voltage values and the 1/3 second delay, I don't see how it sets a fault. Has all of the above been checked?
F1004fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:18 PM   #243
E46Enthusiast20
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 2008 135i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1004fun View Post
The DME will set a fault as it monitors the heater circuits independently and will notice if it's wires are crossed. I did that back in the beginning when I was figuring this out, and I think it was like a "short to ground" kind of fault.

With OBDII you won't actually see the check engine light untill you get two complete drive cycles with failures back to back. But it is a fault because you are seeing it with your scanner.
Have you replaced your pre-cat O2 sensors yet?
Did you FREE-AIR calibrate the LC-1?
If you have an volt meter you can even check the output of the LC-1 to make sure you are getting about .650V at idle. If all this has been checked and you have set the voltage values and the 1/3 second delay, I don't see how it sets a fault. Has all of the above been checked?
Everything been replaced. It's been now 400+ miles and no CEL on the dash. I'm due on my inspection now. The scanner still shows the two faults. I'm thinking those faults could be freeze frame codes.

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App

My hellrot sedan thread.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...382&highlight=

Last edited by E46Enthusiast20; 04-30-2012 at 11:22 PM.
E46Enthusiast20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:22 PM   #244
E46Enthusiast20
Modded ///Member

I don't get it. If there is a fault the light should come on. I've done all these miles and its still off but the codes are there? My car I feel is playing games with me. I want to go to the inspection station knowing its ready. I don't want to pay $30 again and again.....

My hellrot sedan thread.

Last edited by E46Enthusiast20; 04-30-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:10 AM   #245
dpgrand

My Ride: 2005 330xi
Quote:
I don't get it. If there is a fault the light should come on. I've done all these miles and its still off but the codes are there? My car I feel is playing games with me. I want to go to the inspection station knowing its ready. I don't want to pay $30 again and again.....
"With OBDII you won't actually see the check engine light untill you get two complete drive cycles with failures back to back."

This is absolutely correct. However, codes don't clear themselves
Old 05-01-2012, 07:30 AM   #246
E46Enthusiast20
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgrand View Post
"With OBDII you won't actually see the check engine light untill you get two complete drive cycles with failures back to back."

This is absolutely correct. However, codes don't clear themselves
So my car should pass the obd inspection then.

My hellrot sedan thread.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:40 AM   #247
dpgrand

Quote:
So my car should pass the obd inspection then.

CEL lights and codes can really only indirrectly effect an emissions test. The real deciding factors are OBDII readiness monitors. In RI, I need 5 of 6 to be set to "Ready" in order to pass. Granted, if you have a CEL, you're not going to have 5 readiness monitors in the "ready" state.

A simple device like this can read readiness monitors: OBDII Scanner
Old 05-01-2012, 07:53 AM   #248
E46Enthusiast20
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgrand View Post
CEL lights and codes can really only indirrectly effect an emissions test. The real deciding factors are OBDII readiness monitors. In RI, I need 5 of 6 to be set to "Ready" in order to pass. Granted, if you have a CEL, you're not going to have 5 readiness monitors in the "ready" state.

A simple device like this can read readiness monitors: OBDII Scanner
In mass its 8 monitors.

It's been well over 400 miles since this light went out on its own so The monitors should be ready...

My hellrot sedan thread.

Last edited by E46Enthusiast20; 05-01-2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #249
DarkJoker

My Ride: 01 330ci
^you also wont be paying over and over again
you pay once if you fail you get a reject sticker and X amount of days to fix it
and when you "fix it" you go back to the SAME STATION its no charge

< used to be a state inspector
Old 05-06-2012, 01:10 AM   #250
E46Enthusiast20
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkJoker View Post
^you also wont be paying over and over again
you pay once if you fail you get a reject sticker and X amount of days to fix it
and when you "fix it" you go back to the SAME STATION its no charge

< used to be a state inspector
I know I know. I'm on in expired sticker right now..... Going monday morning.

My hellrot sedan thread.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:48 AM   #251
jonwrong

My Ride: 2002 325i
God bless Florida and their lack of emissions testing... i.e. none.
jonwrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #252
E46Enthusiast20
Modded ///Member

Guys she passed! Thank you all for helping me out through my ordeal.

Looks like the adaptations needed to be balanced out.

My hellrot sedan thread.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #253
dpgrand

Quote:
Guys she passed! Thank you all for helping me out through my ordeal.

Looks like the adaptations needed to be balanced out.
Good news!
Old 06-16-2012, 01:48 AM   #254
phamine

My Ride: 01 Orient Blue 330i
Send a message via AIM to phamine Send a message via Yahoo to phamine
Before I begin this, can anyone confirm the following?
I know there were a few diagrams, but I wanted to make sense of it.

I opted to use resistors since I wanted to rule out possibly bad O2s ( I have post cat heater codes)

1. Diagram - Is this okay?

2. For the ground, the best ground is a common ground. So basically I'm going to tie up grays from the 02 sensors with the white and blue wire from the LC-1 to a ring connector and connect it to the factory grounding point by the ECU?

3. I know opt stated that the resistor don't get much hotter than 150f. Anyone see the same? I'd like to put it under the engine cover just as the opt did.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:27 PM   #255
F1004fun

My Ride: '02 330Ci
Your diagram is correct. The only thing I could add is that I don't like to tie the two O2 sensor signal wires together. I run Bank1 sensor to Analog! and Bank2 to Analog2.
I use the 50ohm 10watt resistors in my setup and they don't get any hotter then the fuel rail gets in stop and go traffic.
F1004fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:26 AM   #256
johntrhodes81

My Ride: 2004 325i Wagon
Will it not work to run both Banks off of Analog1 so Analog2 can drive an AFR meter?

Thanks,

DIY BMW Performance Style Extra Air Intake
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...6523&highlight
johntrhodes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:59 AM   #257
jonwrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntrhodes81 View Post
Will it not work to run both Banks off of Analog1 so Analog2 can drive an AFR meter?

Thanks,
Yes. I have have had my setup running like that without issue since March. See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwrong View Post
I got my LC-1 all installed and wired on Sunday. The wideband readings look good. I installed it in probably the simplest method: I took off the engine cover and located the two rear O2 sensor connectors right next to the fuel rail. I cut wires on the sensor side of the harness for the O2 voltage signal only (i.e. the wires corresponding to the yellow wire for each engine side harness for the rear O2). This prevented any cutting on any stock wiring. Also, I did not have to find a way to mimic the heater circuit because it remains in place.

I had another bung welded in for the wideband. I grounded the LC-1 to the ground strap located above the ECU under the hood. I got power from the red/white and yellow spot 12v switched power in the ECU compartment. Just cut some sheathing and soldered on a wire. The LC-1 brain is tire wrapped to the transmission cross member under the car and is safe from debris or hitting anything. The wiring end of the LC-1 was run on the driver's side of the motor (less heat sources to burn the wiring on that side) and the excess is looped and tie wrapped next to the brake master right below the rain tray for the cabin air filter housing. I put the LED and push button calibrator there too for easy access. It was a pretty painless install.

I left the check engine light codes tripped and on. EA and E9 I believe are the rear O2 cat codes I was always throwing. On other cars I have owned, most of the time, if the ECU sees a correction, the light will go off. I was thinking that the ultimate test of this system would be to see if the ECU turns the light off itself. Though, it might be incapable on this car/setup. If the light doesn't go off by the end of Friday, I will reset and see if it comes on in the future.

Comments welcome! Thanks to the originator of this idea; I hope it solves everything for me.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:14 AM   #258
johntrhodes81

Even if the CEL is off, are all your monitors passing?

John R.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:17 AM   #259
jonwrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntrhodes81 View Post
Even if the CEL is off, are all your monitors passing?

John R.
I assume this is an emissions testing question. There is no emissions testing in Florida, thank God! None of my cars have cats. To try to answer your questions, I can tell you when I scan for codes, there are zero thrown and no pending. If you keep the stock O2s in place, I think you have the best setup b/c you are not relying on a resistor, and it will pass visual inspection. Also, with the way mine is setup, there is no appearance of wire tampering to the stock O2s. the only thing anyone can see is the additional wideband sensor.

Hope this helps!
Old 06-19-2012, 08:26 AM   #260
johntrhodes81

Thanks, You can have a monitor not ready but still have no code set.

John