E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 09:29 AM   #261
jonwrong

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntrhodes81 View Post
Thanks, You can have a monitor not ready but still have no code set.

John
You lost me, but the goal of this mod for me was to delete the check engine light issue so when the light is on, I know there might actually be something wrong.
jonwrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #262
johntrhodes81

My Ride: 2004 325i Wagon
What I was trying to say was if you have an OBD2 reader hooked up it can show certain monitors as Not Ready, but no codes and CEL could be showing.
The BimmerBrakes 02 Sim will prevent a code/CEL from showing (it rotates between 3 voltages), but not all monitors will have a status of ready.
John

DIY BMW Performance Style Extra Air Intake
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...6523&highlight
johntrhodes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #263
jonwrong

Quote:
What I was trying to say was if you have an OBD2 reader hooked up it can show certain monitors as Not Ready, but no codes and CEL could be showing.
The BimmerBrakes 02 Sim will prevent a code/CEL from showing (it rotates between 3 voltages), but not all monitors will have a status of ready.
John
Ahh, 10-4. I had a local BMW only shop read all the monitors when I was getting a traction control, brake, abs light a week or two ago. It turned out to be the steering angle sensor. At that time, there were no emissions related issues, even with that ridiculous professional code reader.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #264
johntrhodes81

Cool. Good to know. John

Old 06-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #265
mattfarrington

My Ride: 04 325xi
I'll have to get this done soon, as I plan on removing my Cats.

I'd get the O2 sim, but in NH all monitors need to read ready. And all tests need to "pass" (no CEL)
mattfarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #266
redlin'r

My Ride: (E46) 330Ci
I've been through all the pages on the thread and am wondering if anyone has put together exactly what you need. From what I read I just need the LC-1 with wide-band (gauge optional for read out) and two resistors, correct?

Can I just remove one post O2 sensor (replace with bosch sensor) and leave the other stock o2 sensor in?

I already have a o2 simulator wired in but still get P0420 and P0430 codes, do I even need a resistor wired since I have the sim?
redlin'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:17 AM   #267
johntrhodes81

Yes you can take out one o2. You don't need the sim. O2 work better than resistors.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #268
jonwrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlin'r View Post
I've been through all the pages on the thread and am wondering if anyone has put together exactly what you need. From what I read I just need the LC-1 with wide-band (gauge optional for read out) and two resistors, correct?

Can I just remove one post O2 sensor (replace with bosch sensor) and leave the other stock o2 sensor in?

I already have a o2 simulator wired in but still get P0420 and P0430 codes, do I even need a resistor wired since I have the sim?
All the info you need to do this mod, both with and without resistors, is in this thread. I hate to see this thread continually cluttered by the same questions, it makes it harder and harder to find the actual meat of the topic. Please read through, and all of your questions will be answered.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:09 AM   #269
redlin'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwrong View Post
All the info you need to do this mod, both with and without resistors, is in this thread. I hate to see this thread continually cluttered by the same questions, it makes it harder and harder to find the actual meat of the topic. Please read through, and all of your questions will be answered.
I didn't see a post about no resistors? I think a DIY with schematic and detailed instructions will help remove the clutter and constant questions

Anyone willing to do this for us?
Old 06-20-2012, 10:32 AM   #270
redlin'r

Here is the steps I have

1.) Install pre-cat o2's
2.) Install LC-1 wideband sensor into post cat (does it matter if its 3rd or 4th bung?)
3.) Plug other sensor bung not used.
4.) Connect first post cat heater cables together by using resistor. (can this be done on engine harness or do you hack the existing o2 connector cable?)
5.) Connect second post cat heater cables together using resistor. (can this be done on engine harness or do you hack the existing o2 connector cable?)
6.) Connect both first and second o2 black cables.
7.) Connect both first and second o2 grey cables.

8.) From there you wire the black and grey to the LC-1 as signal and ground (not sure which one is which yet).

9.) They you wire the LC-1 to the DME via ground and 12V power source.

So the heaters for the o2 are being simulated by the resistors, the 2 o2 ground and signal are combined and wired to the LC-1 which will mimic both and finally all is connected to the DME.

This seems pretty straight forward now that I have gone through the thread 3 times Am I correct?

Reposted Schematic:

Last edited by redlin'r; 06-20-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #271
phamine

My Ride: 01 Orient Blue 330i
Send a message via AIM to phamine Send a message via Yahoo to phamine
Just got it done yesterday. Works like a charm so far after ~100 miles.

Hack it after the engine harness cable. O2 sensor connectors are plenty used. Engine harness end, not so much.

I think the thread became confusing as there are a few ways to simulate the heaters, either by using the stock O2 sensors or installing resistors.

No one mentioned added a fusing the 12v line from the LC-1 with a 5a fuse. I did, just in case.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:34 AM   #272
F1004fun

My Ride: '02 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlin'r View Post
This seems pretty straight forward now that I have gone through the thread 3 times Am I correct?
Your post was perfect!
For those of you that want to tie both of the post-cat O2 signals together on Analog1 and use Analog2 as an output to a AFR gauge, yes this works MOST of the time. If you run into problems though us the above method.
On the AFR gauge note: Since most of us have iPhones you might want to look into the Innovate OT-2.
http://www.ot-2.com/
It has a really good data logging feature that I use to check AFR's on WOT runs, you can data log intake air temps if you want to play around with intakes.
F1004fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #273
phamine

My Ride: 01 Orient Blue 330i
Send a message via AIM to phamine Send a message via Yahoo to phamine
The LC-1 eliminated the catalytic efficiency codes. But I can't get rid of these codes.

I ran DIS and the codes are below. I don't understand the codes as it states both before and after the catalytic converter within the same code.

I ran the test plan in DIS for the 02 sensor and noticed and found that:
=> When throttle is applied ; voltage does not increase. DIS expects it to increase with throttle application
=> 0.6V is steady as throttle is applied
=> Voltage drops to 0 when the throttle is released.

So what can be the issue? DIS is telling me to replace both of my precat and postcat o2 sensors.

DME - (226) E2 Trimming. oxygen sensor behind catalytic converter, bank 2 - too great in rich range (P1193)
=> Oxygen sensor, Bank 2 before cat converter B1214_MS43LV2

DME - (225) E2 Trimming. oxygen sensor behind catalytic converter, bank 1 - too great in rich range (P1192)
=> Oxygen sensor, Bank 2 before cat converter B1214_MS43LV1
Old 06-26-2012, 11:26 PM   #274
F1004fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamine View Post
The LC-1 eliminated the catalytic efficiency codes. But I can't get rid of these codes.

I ran DIS and the codes are below. I don't understand the codes as it states both before and after the catalytic converter within the same code.

I ran the test plan in DIS for the 02 sensor and noticed and found that:
=> When throttle is applied ; voltage does not increase. DIS expects it to increase with throttle application
=> 0.6V is steady as throttle is applied
=> Voltage drops to 0 when the throttle is released.

So what can be the issue? DIS is telling me to replace both of my precat and postcat o2 sensors.

DME - (226) E2 Trimming. oxygen sensor behind catalytic converter, bank 2 - too great in rich range (P1193)
=> Oxygen sensor, Bank 2 before cat converter B1214_MS43LV2

DME - (225) E2 Trimming. oxygen sensor behind catalytic converter, bank 1 - too great in rich range (P1192)
=> Oxygen sensor, Bank 2 before cat converter B1214_MS43LV1
Let's try setting the voltage curve to .750V up to 20:1 AFR and then back to .050V at 21:1. What are your current fuel adaptations before adjusting the curve, long-term and short-term.

After running this setup for a while on a couple of cars I have noticed that at .650V the DME pulled a bit of fuel out of the long term fuel curves. I have been currently testing with the .750V setup and noticed a change of 1%-3% in the long term fuel curve. So basically if you were sitting at -5% running the LC-1 at the .650V setup could push you past the -8% limit and set off a rich running fault.

I'm not really sure why the DME does this. I have looked at other cars and it seems that the post-cat voltage range WITH cats has been between .650V and .750V.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #275
deadwood83

My Ride: has an iron lung
Send a message via MSN to deadwood83
What does the LC-1 output when the wideband isnt connected to the brain? I wired mine in yesterday but due to the awd nature of my car could not physically access the o2 sensors. I just reflashed back to a US mapping for my supercharger install and INPA says the rear 02 sensors are reporting a voltage (.44 at idle), but the signal wires aren't even attached to the sensors any more, they are attached to the LC-1.

But part of me also thinks that might just be the ECU improvising since it threw an INSTANT CEL as soon as I turned the key after flashing it.

ETA: Everything I know about everything is wrong. My ECU is running the latest US spec software. Catalytic converter detection shows ACTIV in INPA. The LC-1 lambda probe is disconnected from the LC-1 controller and I have not programmed the LC-1. The wires on the post-cat O2 sensors have been CUT and the LC-1 soldered-in on the engine-side of the harness. Only the heater wires remain connected to the sensors. The LC-1 calibration wire is curled-up in the ECU's box, connected to nothing.

That insta-SES light? It turned itself off.

Is everything I know about everything, and everything we all thought we knew about everything wrong?

Last edited by deadwood83; 07-12-2012 at 09:53 PM.
deadwood83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:34 AM   #276
johntrhodes81

On the LC-1 programming. Should the high impedance box be checked? It is by default.

Thanks,

Old 09-15-2012, 12:07 AM   #277
F1004fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwood83 View Post
What does the LC-1 output when the wideband isnt connected to the brain? I wired mine in yesterday but due to the awd nature of my car could not physically access the o2 sensors. I just reflashed back to a US mapping for my supercharger install and INPA says the rear 02 sensors are reporting a voltage (.44 at idle), but the signal wires aren't even attached to the sensors any more, they are attached to the LC-1.
You are seeing the base voltage from the DME, the O2 sensor "pulls" this voltage up or down depending on mixture. There is a longer answer that an electrical engineer could better provide, but that;s the short one.

Quote:
On the LC-1 programming. Should the high impedance box be checked? It is by default.

Thanks,
Yes, this makes the signal go "high impedance on sensor warmup, and this is what the factory O2 sensors do.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:12 AM   #278
johntrhodes81

thanks,

Old 09-16-2012, 10:58 PM   #279
johntrhodes81

Has anyone, especially those driving both sensors from one analog output gotten a Comprehensive Component Emissions Monitor not ready?

Thanks,

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App

Old 09-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #280
dpgrand

My Ride: 2005 330xi
All my monitors are "Ready" and I have passed emissions in RI.