E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 04:20 PM   #321
FutureFast

My Ride: 2005 330 Ci
Using INPA I was able to increase the heating of the pre Cats sensors 90% ... however the returned voltage didn't change.

I looked at the analog values screen and I wanted to see what 452 kPa reading means for gas pressure entry (I hope they mean fuel pressure ): 452kPa is approx 65.5 psi.
According to this article http://www.autohausaz.com/bmw-auto-p...el-pumps.html:
For example, certain BMW models with Bosch Motronic require 55 to 61 psi (3.8 to 4.2 BAR) of static pressure measured with the engine off. By comparison, a BMW may require 43 psi (3.0 BAR) on some models or 48 psi (3.3 BAR) on others. The differences may not seem like much, but a few pounds of fuel pressure can have a significant impact on engine performance and emissions.

GO figure ... and I changed fuel pump and fuel filter/pressure regulator.
I will get a gauge/tester to read the fuel pressure at the end of the fuel rail.

This would be my last post as my problem becomes more of a troubleshooting issue relative to air/fuel mixture and pre-cat numbers (I don't want to deviate from the purpose of this thread).

And I can say that the LC-1 solution addressed in this thread works (see post-cat voltages reported in INPA screens above - yes, when I press the pedal the post-cat voltage changes for both banks).

Thx again for a very helpfull thread.
FutureFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #322
Jersey Swags

My Ride: 330i
"o2 simulators work for city driving only and will not work on the highway." I was told this from the seller/sponsor that I bought an o2 sim from on this forum. This has everything to do with STFT and LTFT.
Jersey Swags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #323
dpgrand

My Ride: 2005 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureFast View Post
Using INPA I was able to increase the heating of the pre Cats sensors 90% ... however the returned voltage didn't change.

I looked at the analog values screen and I wanted to see what 452 kPa reading means for gas pressure entry (I hope they mean fuel pressure ): 452kPa is approx 65.5 psi.
According to this article http://www.autohausaz.com/bmw-auto-p...el-pumps.html:
For example, certain BMW models with Bosch Motronic require 55 to 61 psi (3.8 to 4.2 BAR) of static pressure measured with the engine off. By comparison, a BMW may require 43 psi (3.0 BAR) on some models or 48 psi (3.3 BAR) on others. The differences may not seem like much, but a few pounds of fuel pressure can have a significant impact on engine performance and emissions.

GO figure ... and I changed fuel pump and fuel filter/pressure regulator.
I will get a gauge/tester to read the fuel pressure at the end of the fuel rail.

This would be my last post as my problem becomes more of a troubleshooting issue relative to air/fuel mixture and pre-cat numbers (I don't want to deviate from the purpose of this thread).

And I can say that the LC-1 solution addressed in this thread works (see post-cat voltages reported in INPA screens above - yes, when I press the pedal the post-cat voltage changes for both banks).

Thx again for a very helpfull thread.
I hope you get it working; however, I think you may be the first MS45 to try this. The rest of us are running MS43. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this one.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #324
FutureFast

My Ride: 2005 330 Ci
You are confusing me ... . It is working, the post cat voltages are using the LC-1 setup and are the ones that the DME needs to see. My issues come from either pre-cat O2 sensors or fuel pressure.

I see you have a 2005 car, which means you have a MS45, no ? Also, I saw other guys who posted here with MS45 and it worked for them as well.

Thx for the input.
FutureFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #325
dpgrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureFast View Post
You are confusing me ... . It is working, the post cat voltages are using the LC-1 setup and are the ones that the DME needs to see. My issues come from either pre-cat O2 sensors or fuel pressure.

I see you have a 2005 car, which means you have a MS45, no ? Also, I saw other guys who posted here with MS45 and it worked for them as well.

Thx for the input.
Oh... being you were posting questions I assumed something wasn't working - congrats then.

I do have an '05, however I have MS43, possibly due to the fact that I have an xi?
Old 04-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #326
lamsv

My Ride: 2001 325iT
^ Yes. Xi's all had MS43 from what I can recollect.

lamsv:2001 325iT
lamsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #327
E46Enthusiast20
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 2008 135i M-Sport
After over a year using my LC1 with no CEL and passing inspection last year I suddenly got a CEL a week ago. Pulled PA Soft and I have the 2 catalytic converter errors... Would I need to just recalibrate it? The live data shows that all the o2's are heated so I don't think the LC-1 is dead. Just in time for inspection at the end of the month...

My hellrot sedan thread.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...382&highlight=
E46Enthusiast20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #328
dpgrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Enthusiast20 View Post
After over a year using my LC1 with no CEL and passing inspection last year I suddenly got a CEL a week ago. Pulled PA Soft and I have the 2 catalytic converter errors... Would I need to just recalibrate it? The live data shows that all the o2's are heated so I don't think the LC-1 is dead. Just in time for inspection at the end of the month...
I'll ask the obvious question - are the cat codes pre or post cat?
Old 05-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #329
E46Enthusiast20
Modded ///Member

Re: No "check engine light" with headers!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgrand View Post
I'll ask the obvious question - are the cat codes pre or post cat?
Post cat. I just recalibrated the LC-1 and entered the appropriate values. I also cleared my codes and reset adaptations using PA soft. Let's see what happens.

My hellrot sedan thread.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #330
dpgrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Enthusiast20 View Post
Post cat. I just recalibrated the LC-1 and entered the appropriate values. I also cleared my codes and reset adaptations using PA soft. Let's see what happens.
Resetting your adaptations was going to be my next recommendation. Keep us posted
Old 05-19-2013, 08:04 AM   #331
E46Enthusiast20
Modded ///Member

About 200 miles after the clear and it looks like everything's ok...

My hellrot sedan thread.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #332
E46Enthusiast20
Modded ///Member

Re: No "check engine light" with headers!!!

350 miles and nothing... Must have just needed a recalibration.

My hellrot sedan thread.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #333
jamex

My Ride: 2005 325Ci
I'm very interested in this solution and have read through this entire thread as it developed over the years and recently read through it again start to finish in one sitting. I understand all the connections and the options for keeping the O2s in place as the heaters or replacing them with resistors.

What I'd really find useful is some pictures showing where the splices have been performed and the cable routing. I confess, I've never had to remove the engine cover or touch any wiring near the ECU, so its new territory for me. If I keep the LC-1 under the ngine cover like I've seen, where do you route the cable for the LC-1's O2 sensor? Just drop it down and wrap it along anything you can find? Follow the existing O2 sensor cables? I need to do some homework and figure out where those existing O2 cables are going. If I decide to use resistors, I can just pull the old sensors out I assume?

I have a feeling there's going to be an influx of forum members looking to perform this install now that the Bimmerbrakes GEN3 headers group buy has taken place.

Any additional insight appreciated.

Last edited by jamex; 05-27-2013 at 10:57 AM.
jamex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #334
Dino1394

My Ride: 04 330xi
Installed the LC-1 and my car passed MA inspection today

The install was easy, if anything finding a computer with a serial port or even buying the converter is the hard part
Old 07-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #335
daewon774

My Ride: 2002 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino1394 View Post

The install was easy, if anything finding a computer with a serial port or even buying the converter is the hard part
Great news. I'm in Mass as well. Inspections in this state are a pain in the ass. I have my lc-1 and headers in a box in the basement. Gotta find some time to install this!
Bilstein shocks/struts + H&R springs
Style 71s
Soon to be installed Bimmerbrakes headers + LC1...

Last edited by daewon774; 07-08-2013 at 07:54 PM.
daewon774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #336
jamex

My Ride: 2005 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino1394 View Post

Awesome. Were you driving with CEL lit prior to the LC-1 install? Did it clear on its own with just regular driving or did you intentionally perform a full "drive cycle" of various speeds and durations?
jamex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #337
ATLZHP6M

My Ride: TS2+ ZHP, ESS E39 M5
I completed my install yesterday and the LC-1 works like a charm.
I was wondering if someone could confirm how does one go about entering a range of AFR values in the AFR field?

ie: To enter these values: .650v from 8:1 up to 20:1 AFR
.025v at 22:1 AFR

I did this:

.650v on the Voltage Field and 8.1:20.1 on the AFR field and it looked like it accepted the range but when I look at it again, it only shows 8.1
On the second line I'm just doing 0.25v and 22.1 AF

Thinking about it now, I don't think the app allows to specify a range within a range so nevermind... I'll stick with the original values.

ESS TS2+ Street/Track Toy

Last edited by ATLZHP6M; 08-14-2013 at 03:15 PM.
ATLZHP6M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #338
phamine

My Ride: 01 Orient Blue 330i
Send a message via AIM to phamine Send a message via Yahoo to phamine
Inspection time

I don't have an CEL nor engine codes.

The issue I'm having is that the 2 catalytic readinesses are incomplete and not getting ready.
Ideas?
Old 10-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #339
DarkJoker

My Ride: 01 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamex View Post
I'm very interested in this solution and have read through this entire thread as it developed over the years and recently read through it again start to finish in one sitting. I understand all the connections and the options for keeping the O2s in place as the heaters or replacing them with resistors.

What I'd really find useful is some pictures showing where the splices have been performed and the cable routing. I confess, I've never had to remove the engine cover or touch any wiring near the ECU, so its new territory for me. If I keep the LC-1 under the ngine cover like I've seen, where do you route the cable for the LC-1's O2 sensor? Just drop it down and wrap it along anything you can find? Follow the existing O2 sensor cables? I need to do some homework and figure out where those existing O2 cables are going. If I decide to use resistors, I can just pull the old sensors out I assume?

I have a feeling there's going to be an influx of forum members looking to perform this install now that the Bimmerbrakes GEN3 headers group buy has taken place.

Any additional insight appreciated.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...8&postcount=67

follow that and the recommended post after that
and run your wires accordingly. whether that they be hidden or out in the open
I had my lc-1 unit where the wideband plugs in in the trans tunnel that used to hold a connector for something and ziptied it to that
Old 10-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #340
ATLZHP6M

My Ride: TS2+ ZHP, ESS E39 M5
Updated Voltage Curve for MS45 cars

After running with the voltage curves suggested on the first page of this thread and subsequent posts by F1004fun, I ran into a running rich situation. The problem in my car seems to be more on the pre-cat sensor side but in troubleshooting this problem I think I came up with a more optimal voltage curve for the post cat sensors.

These are the different voltage settings I tried on the LC-1:

1- By far, the most stable settings, specially on MS43
.650v @18:1 AFR
.100v @22:1 AFR

2- F1004fun stated he had been running these numbers:
.650v @20:1 AFR
.025v @22:1 AFR

3- Last but no least, these were offered as an alternative to the problem I'm having with running rich but it didn't solve the problem for me:
.750v @20:1 AFR
.050v @21:1 AFR

In my research, I read a BMW white paper on fuel adaptations and fuel mixture principals, mostly formulas used, etc... From reading that paper and reading the FAQ on the innovate website I realized the above voltage curves were a bit off from the optimal figures mentioned on these two resources.

ie:
Q: What is the target lambda reading for my vehicle's engine?

A: In general, however, optimum horsepower is achieved between 0.85 and 0.90 lambda (12.45 AFR to 13.2 AFR using regular gasoline).

Based on those numbers and the INPA screenshots from my M5, I realized my voltage curve needed to change. Look at the voltages for both pre-cat and post-cat (or lambda and monitor probes). They are just about right according to Innovate.

This is a screenshot of Innovate's factory default settings, which are supposed to mimic a perfectly working O2 sensor (not necessarily optimal for BMW):

With all of the above said, these are my new values.
I just reset my adaptations using INPA so I'm still testing.
I don't recommend using these settings just yet but so far I've seen positive results.

Voltage Curve based on Lambda output.

Voltage Curve based on AFR

INPA Screenshots, before and after.

Fuel Adaptations using voltage curve:
.650v @20:1 AFR
.025v @22:1 AFR

Fuel Adaptations screenshot after my change (partial results, need to drive more to get full adaptations calculated)
Fuel Curve:
.889v @14.08 AFR
.103v @15.01 AFR

A couple of things to note on the above screenshot:
The voltages for my pre-cat sensors are still higher than desired. Target Voltage should be around 0.90v. Therefore, I'm still running rich as depicted on long term fuel adaptations (Additive values). These values should be closer to zero.
The new voltages for the post cat sensor are within the optimal range.
Short term fuel adaptations have not been fully calculated as you can see. I' looking to stay above -8% as seen on the previous screenshot. So far so good.

I'd like to thank F1004fun for his hard work and for offering this solution to running with no cats.

ESS TS2+ Street/Track Toy

Last edited by ATLZHP6M; 10-22-2013 at 05:15 PM. Reason: bad image links
ATLZHP6M is offline   Reply With Quote