E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-24-2010, 11:05 AM   #41
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoEurotica View Post
i havent been able to pass inspection since Nov. 2009 (thats teh date it was due). It is now july 4th and i still have yet to pass. i HAD the ebay headers, took it to private inspection...FAIL (obviously, but at the time i didnt know my facelift would be such a bitch to pass cuz of the ECU being ridiculously sensitive). then i got the AA ECU reflash and all they did was turn off the o2 sensors, and the codes i was throwing went away...thought i would pass, went to inspection and got a big fat FAIL. THEN, i took the ebay headers out, put the stock ones back in, reflashed it AGAIN so that AA could turn the o2 sensors back on, thought i was in the clear and took it to inspection and, FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL!!!! why do facelift ECUs have to the such little b!chez!!!! and because of this...i ended up spending INSANE amounts of money to get the headers installed, then gettin AA software for fix the problem, and because that didnt fix the problem, i had to pay to but my stock manifold back in, then pay to get it reflashed to turn the O2 sensors back on, and that didnt work so i had to go to BMW to pay to get it reflashed back to stock....AANNNDDDD I STIL HAD TO PAY TO GET MY THERMOSTAT REPLACED CUZ APPARENTLY THAT WAS SCREWED UP TOO!!!!! ughhhh.....FML!!! SERIOUSLY! i spent so much money on making my car slower! why me?!?!

/rant
Bad thermostat will make you run pig rich. Just saying.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:53 PM   #42
tdonovan07

My Ride: 2002 Turbo 3-Series
I am running into a similar issue also ---> http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...e=7&highlight=
tdonovan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:05 PM   #43
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Installing tomorrow. Hope she works!
Old 01-19-2011, 10:06 PM   #44
dpgrand

My Ride: 2005 330xi
Update on my situation - I finally got around to replacing the precat o2 sensor, and I have now driven close to 1500 miles with no CEL. The LC-1 works
Old 01-31-2011, 07:18 AM   #45
johntrhodes81

My Ride: 2004 325i Wagon
refined voltage curve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgrand View Post

F1004fun also has a more refined voltage curve, so I've been told.
Is this true? Are you willing to share? I am about to try the LC-1 on a 2004 MS45 car.

Thanks,
johntrhodes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:39 PM   #46
dpgrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntrhodes81 View Post
Is this true? Are you willing to share? I am about to try the LC-1 on a 2004 MS45 car.

Thanks,
My car is MS43 - I am not aware of anyone using an LC-1 for this purpose on an MS45. I do not have the updated voltage curves, although I am currently using the ones in this thread, and have successfully rid my dash of a SES.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #47
lkstaack

My Ride: 04 330iZHP, 05 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1004fun View Post
I used my old connectors from the old post-cat O2 sensors, installed a 50ohm 10watt resistor in each of two sets of white wires, these are the O2 heater ciruit wires.

Bring the two wires together that connect to the yellow wire, and wire in about 3' of small yellow wire this is the Analog1 output from the controller. Next bring together the two wires that connect to the black wire, again 3' of small black wire, this is the signal ground.
I know this is old, but it is still relevent. I'm not following all these instructions.

-Old connector harness ground wire to ECU ground: Got It
-Old connector harness signal wire to LC-1 Anolog wire: Got It
-LC-1 heater and system grounds to ECU ground: Got It
-LC-1 12v to ECU R/W/Y wire: Got It

What about the Old Connector harness heater wires? O.K., install the resisters: Got It. Now, where do the heater wires go? To the LC-1 O2 sensor? Do they go anywhere?
Old 02-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #48
dpgrand

The other end of the heater wires remain unchanged.

Basically cut off your existing o2 probes and put a resister across the heater wires in each of them.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:43 PM   #49
lkstaack

Quote:
The other end of the heater wires remain unchanged.

Basically cut off your existing o2 probes and put a resister across the heater wires in each of them.
So, you are saying that the two wires in each harness connect togeather with the resister between them?
Old 02-09-2011, 02:47 PM   #50
dpgrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstaack View Post
So, you are saying that the two wires in each harness connect togeather with the resister between them?
Yes.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:54 PM   #51
lkstaack

Quote:
Yes.
Thanks a lot.

Anyone try this with the MS45 ECU? Any reason it shouldn't work?
Old 02-09-2011, 02:58 PM   #52
dpgrand

The MS45 uses different o2 sensors that may have different voltage curves.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:07 PM   #53
lkstaack

Quote:
The MS45 uses different o2 sensors that may have different voltage curves.
But I can try different voltages with LC-1 software until I find the right curve?
Old 02-09-2011, 03:09 PM   #54
dpgrand

Your guess is as good as mine. If you're lucky it'll work with the curves given above. One thing to think about is I believe the MS45 uses a 6 wire o2 sensor, but I am unsure what the additional 2 wires do....
Old 02-17-2011, 10:57 AM   #55
johntrhodes81

The post cat 02's are still 4 wire. Just worked on mine.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:43 AM   #56
dpgrand

Quote:
The post cat 02's are still 4 wire. Just worked on mine.
Awesome! So it's just the pre-cat o2's that are 5 wire?
Old 02-19-2011, 12:18 AM   #57
F1004fun

My Ride: '02 330Ci
Quote:
Awesome! So it's just the pre-cat o2's that are 5 wire?
Wow, I gotta say you guys are awesome. I haven't had time in a while to get on the forum. dpgrand it sounds like you got this thing pretty well figured out.

Lately I have switched over to just running two separate LC-1's with one being bank1 and the other Bank2, and there respective output channels being pre-cat O2 and post-cat O2. What this has allowed me to do is set the post-cat voltages as we have established and.. you ready?

We can write to voltage curves for the pre-cat O2 sensor to be off just a touch to the rich side. Now I'm not talking absurdly rich but the DME thinks is is maintaining it's 14.7:1 AFR and in reality it is about 14:1 even. It definitely makes the car more responsive. I don't get a chance to take pictures when I find time to work on my car but I will try and get pics and maybe a wiring schematic.
F1004fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:35 PM   #58
johntrhodes81

Quote:
Wow, I gotta say you guys are awesome. I haven't had time in a while to get on the forum. dpgrand it sounds like you got this thing pretty well figured out.

Lately I have switched over to just running two separate LC-1's with one being bank1 and the other Bank2, and there respective output channels being pre-cat O2 and post-cat O2. What this has allowed me to do is set the post-cat voltages as we have established and.. you ready?

We can write to voltage curves for the pre-cat O2 sensor to be off just a touch to the rich side. Now I'm not talking absurdly rich but the DME thinks is is maintaining it's 14.7:1 AFR and in reality it is about 14:1 even. It definitely makes the car more responsive. I don't get a chance to take pictures when I find time to work on my car but I will try and get pics and maybe a wiring schematic.

Did you find running both post cat 02's from 1 LC-1 wasn't working?
Does adjusting the afr do anything other than make it more responsive?
Did you come up with any new voltage recommendations for post cat 02 emulation?

Thanks, John
Old 02-19-2011, 01:12 PM   #59
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Does adjusting the afr do anything other than make it more responsive?
Leaning it out might tweak a few more hp but if you over do it you can easily start to cause some very serious engine damage. I think one of the biggest drawbacks to spoofing the DME this way is that it probably leans things out across the board without the benefit of the intelligence of the DME. This isn't something I would recommend the average DIY'er attempt. F100 seems fairly knowledgeable so I'm sure he's aware of the risks involved and is monitoring his "experiment" closely to ensure no damage is done.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:30 PM   #60
lkstaack

Quote:
We can write to voltage curves for the pre-cat O2 sensor to be off just a touch to the rich side. Now I'm not talking absurdly rich but the DME thinks is is maintaining it's 14.7:1 AFR and in reality it is about 14:1 even. It definitely makes the car more responsive.
I want to ensure I understand this.....you are programming in a different voltage from the pre-cat sensor to the DME in order to change AFRs across its operating range? The DME will continue to adjust what it adjusts, thinking that AFRs are higher or lower (depending on how you adjust it)?

Now, what is the advantage of this? I would imagine that BMW would set AFRs to the optimum value at any particular condition to achieve the greatest HP/TQ/emissions efficiency. Perhaps BMW sacrifices HP or TQ in order to achieve greater emissions efficiency?