E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2009, 05:32 AM   #1
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
F10 m5

I hear boost

Quote:
Thanks to our "send a tip" function a WCF user has sent us this awesome video of the next-generation BMW M5 in camouflage. Internally codenamed the F10, this car will mark a seismic shift in philosophy for the Bavarian marque as it employs turbo technology in an M sedan.

Partly shot at the Nurburgring the clip takes us through just under four minutes of footage. At 00:59 you'll seen a Nissan GT-R seemingly chasing the M5. What a future battle that will be for motoring media. At several points in the video, particularly at 3:17, the turbos can be heard spooling up and pitching quite high.

BMW begins selling the new 5 Series globally in 2010 and the M5 should follow around a year later. It is thought that BMW's 4.4-litre twin turbo machine will also do duty for the bahnstomer but instead of 300kW (408hp) or 408kW (555hp) it will produce something close to 430kW (585hp).

Speculation is that an 8-speed sequential transmission will send all power to the rear wheels with the assistance of an electronic differential. To improve driving dynamics and fuel efficiency, weight will be kept as low as possible using sophisticated light body construction materials.

Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:04 AM   #2
ferrarix99

My Ride: 87 325e - 05 M3 Vert
nice vid
Bimmerworld Epic Tune | OEM Euro Headers | CSL Brakes | B&B TriFlo | aFe SuperStock | PSS10 | Varrstoen TE37 | V1 | ZKW Lens Swap | Orion Golds
Want your car coded? PM me.
ferrarix99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #3
VillanovaGrad

My Ride: M3 M5 X3
back in 03 the m5 had 400bhp, 7 years later, its got almost 50% more power... jesus christ
Old 10-10-2009, 12:09 PM   #4
albertbmw

My Ride: 328ci
Can't wait
albertbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:42 PM   #5
wiedrick2005

My Ride: POS
Those people have the best job.
wiedrick2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:30 PM   #6
czechchamp

My Ride: IS 250
hwy monster

2001 330i Sport | Manual | ASA | DICE | H&R | StopTech | ZHP rack | SOLD
czechchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:53 PM   #7
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
best/worst job depending on how you view it. that said i'd love to have that job
Old 10-11-2009, 05:55 AM   #8
-Jay-

My Ride: 06 X3 3.0i
Send a message via AIM to -Jay-
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiedrick2005 View Post
Those people have the best job.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:33 PM   #9
TheCarLessDriven

My Ride: 330
Damn, Turbod M5. Insanity.

"SGC > than your general chat"
TheCarLessDriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:39 PM   #10
firefirefire90
Banned

My Ride: suce ma bite
Send a message via AIM to firefirefire90
sexy, but whoever designed the new grills on the upcoming Bimmers need to die
firefirefire90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:20 PM   #11
Raine

My Ride: e39
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefirefire90 View Post
sexy, but whoever designed the new grills on the upcoming Bimmers need to die
Im sure itll look better in person. The current 5 series looks in pictures and always better in person.
Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:21 PM   #12
Snik
OEM ///Member

i said i hated the front of the F01 7s, and when i saw it in person, tho a bit big, it doesnt look over done like it does in the pictures. It actualy fits very well, tho very bold.
I have no doubt the M5 will look good when they get done with it,
Old 11-04-2009, 01:03 AM   #13
Snik
OEM ///Member

Ever since the news broke that the next generation BMW M5 will be powered for the first time by a turbocharged engine, many BMW fans, and not only, have posed THE question: why a turbo engine and not the almighty NA powerplant that made us all happy?

After a discussion with Albert Biermann, head of development at M Division, Autocar UK reports that the decision was influenced by BMW's aggressive plans to cut fuel consumption as part of the EfficientDynamics programme.

"We've been forced to switch to an engine offering greater low-end torque than the naturally aspirated engine to ensure it can cope with the longer axle ratio," Biermann said. "It's the only real way we can balance achieving the environmental improvements we want while retaining similar levels of performance to today's car."

Could this be a concern? Sure, but if all the past rumors come true, BMW's use of new technology and even a KERS system will put the new M5 ahead of the current model, both in performance and fuel efficiency. Biermann estimates a 20% cut in CO2 emissions.

Since not all the details can be revealed way ahead of its launch time, the mystery around the engine used remains large. Based on our sources' reports and what other magazines reported, a V8 twin-turbo engine is the powerplant of choice in the new F10 M5. Output? Unknown, but we expect higher than the 555 ponies outputted by the X5 M and X6 M.

Biermann gets into more details regarding the turbocharged vs. naturally aspirated powerplant. While the 500 horsepower from the current V10 comes at 7,750 rpm, the V8's highest output should come before 6,000 rpm. But then we have the impressive torque coming from a turbocharged engine. Biermann indicates a 30% increase in torque, so that gives the new M5 around 500 lb-ft of torque at very low rpm.

The added power and V8 turbocharged engine requires additional cooling capacity and current test mules, seen in previous spy photos, are focusing on cooling solutions. The process is still at an early stage.

In the past, we reported that two gearboxes were being considered, an updated 8-speed dual-clutch gearbox (DCT) or a more advanced 8-speed SMG. Although we cannot confirm this at the moment, Autocar reports that the M5 will also get a new gearbox, a beefed-up version of the current M3's 7-speed DCT. The gearbox was featured last week on the M5 "CSL" at the 25th anniversary event at Nurburgring.

Even though a hybrid model is being considered in the 5 Series line-up, the M5 will not be featuring any sort of hybrid system due to the extra weight would add to the car. Another significant change in the next M5, is the control-arm front suspensions that will replace the MacPherson Struts and at the rear. This will be a multi-link layout.

With a car growing in size, a new large engine, M5's weight concerns are being addressed by using plenty of carbon fiber design elements. The newly unveiled wind tunnel in Munich will play an important role in the aerodynamics of the new M5. Autocar states that the car will get Active Aerodynamics, which blanks off parts of the grille and cooling intakes during warm-up and under light throttle load.

The F10 M5 will continue to feature different levels of ride comfort, leaving the choice to the driver.

Once again confirming some our previous reports on the new technology available in the next BMW M5, Biermann mentions a new, fully electric power steering that offers similar levels of response and feedback to today's hydraulic set-up.

The F10 BMW M5 will launch a year after the regular 5 Series models and the 2011 Frankfurt Motor Show would be the perfect venue.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:09 AM   #14
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
so theyre switching to F generations now? interesting
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:23 PM   #15
Snik
OEM ///Member

They've already switched. The new current 7 series is F01/2
Old 11-10-2009, 03:13 PM   #16
kpd1999

My Ride: Begins with an ///M
I wonder if the HPFP issue will plague this one as well.............???
Old 11-11-2009, 04:33 PM   #17
E25ci

My Ride: E46 325ci
I would still have to pick a evo over the m5 for personal use, but if I were a business man I would buy that thing in a heart beat.
That turbo sounds amazing though.