E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-18-2009, 12:09 PM   #1
sbchivers

My Ride: 325i
what is the correct oil to use

I have a 2003 325i and was wondering what weight and type of Castrol engine oil to use when I change it and the filter...and can I get the filter some place beside the the local BMW dealer.
sbchivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:36 PM   #2
RockerGuy

My Ride: Not a BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbchivers View Post
I have a 2003 325i and was wondering what weight and type of Castrol engine oil to use when I change it and the filter...and can I get the filter some place beside the the local BMW dealer.
There are lots of places u can get the oil filter. You can try googling or u can try pelicanparts.com, there might also be a DIY there too. You can find 1 on this forum of course. As for oil, u can use any reputable oil at the 5w-40 grade. If u insist on castrol use a german made 0w-30 or go to your dealership for 5w-30. There are lots of oil thread on this forum, so dont be surprised if no 1 else answer to this thread.

cheers
RockerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:47 PM   #3
Messe46

My Ride: 325xi ZSP - ONRLS
Send a message via AIM to Messe46
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
There are lots of places u can get the oil filter. You can try googling or u can try pelicanparts.com, there might also be a DIY there too. You can find 1 on this forum of course. As for oil, u can use any reputable oil at the 5w-40 grade. If u insist on castrol use a german made 0w-30 or go to your dealership for 5w-30. There are lots of oil thread on this forum, so dont be surprised if no 1 else answer to this thread.

cheers
true, use the search bar first. and then if you can't find something after a 1/2 hr, then post. always state that you searched first, otherwise we'll say "".
on my last oil change i got 10w-60. i know it's high (and expensive), but it can be used even in vt winters. my indy mech had some extra left over from an ///m that was in earlier in the week. it's been running very smooth so far (may take a little longer to warm up though, but smooth).

*consider lubermoly (spelling?) since bmw considers it a little better than oem and i think its a little cheaper, too.

“I’m sorry, but having an Aston Martin DB9 on the drive and not driving it is a bit like having Keira Knightley in your bed and sleeping on the couch. If you’ve got even half a scrotum it’s not going to happen.”
-Jeremy Clarkson
Messe46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:48 PM   #4
Rayce185
Modifiziertes ///Mitglied

Oh god... another oil thread?
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Rayce185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:57 PM   #5
BruceWayne
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 03 LSB ///M3
why are there oil threads? do people not have owner manuals? its written in your owners manual quit being so ****ing lazy, and how dumb are you that you can't figure this out on your own, the filter question is fine though, you can order 10 packs from tischer for $80, thats probably your best bet for oem filters
Old 10-19-2009, 05:51 PM   #6
zk369

My Ride: '00 328ci
Old 10-19-2009, 05:55 PM   #7
Rayce185
Modifiziertes ///Mitglied

Good thing bumping a two day old oil thread
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Rayce185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:54 PM   #8
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbchivers View Post
We have created an Oil Maintenance service kit that takes all of the guess work out for you. This kit includes all the following parts to perform a basic oil change service.
* BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil ( 7 Quarts)
* Oil Filter Kit
* Drain Plug with Crush Washer (Upgradeable to ECS magnetic drain plug)

You can find the kit for your specific application here:
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-325...aign=postreply

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions!

Cheers,
Joe

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:12 PM   #9
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Yay for oil threads.

Although I don't have any sort of analysis, I switched to RP 10W40 this past oil change. My oil consumption hasn't gone down (but I've been driving the car really hard lately). I HAVE noticed the the car runs smoother and is quieter at idle. That's my .02. Coming from running M1 0W40.