E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-19-2009, 01:12 AM   #1
SIM\\\

My Ride: DINAN '03 330xi
suspension upgrade on xi (sways)

Its time to upgrade my suspension. I have the Dinan stage 1 on my xi now and am looking for sways. My question for the xi is whether to go with the racing dynamics front/rear sways or just an H&R rear sway? Thoughts?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:25 AM   #2
dpgrand

My Ride: 2005 330xi
On an XI, you don't need to replace both. By just doing the one you will help cure some understeer
Old 10-19-2009, 10:05 AM   #3
SIM\\\

I know with the H&R its adjustable. Any thoughts on which setting to use? I heard the car can handle worse if the rear sway bar is exceptionally tighter than the front sway bar.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:41 AM   #4
hummer

My Ride: 2001 330CI
On my 330ci with H&R sports and Bilstein sports, I have an H&R 21 mm rear bar and stock front bar. Also used this setup with PSS9 now removed. Works for me = nice and neutral. For instance, I had RDS 27/24 on my car originally with stock sport suspension which was great. When PSS9 went on, these bars were way too sfiff! Not sure what would be best for your xi though. Why not go with the Dinan bars designed for your setup? What are the Dinan bar sizes? The RD sways 27/24? may be too heavy in front with the Dinan springs and shocks? This would be a good question to ask Dinan? You will get a lot of advice here to go with the "Bigger is Better" approach!
Not always the best!
hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:49 AM   #5
Bimmer Dude Xi

My Ride: 03 325XI 07 ZX-6R
Send a message via AIM to Bimmer Dude Xi
here is a thread that based on Xi sways bars http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...t=xi+sway+bars

basically just upgrade the rear

|Dinan High Flow Air Box|Eibach Pro Kit|Koni Sport|UUC Strut Barbarian|UUC TSE3|UUC Underdrive Pulleys|18" VMR V710|

|BMC Race Air Filter|CRG Spectrum Levers| Galfer Steel Braided Brake Lines|Volar Motorsport Spiked Frame & Bar-end Sliders|
Bimmer Dude Xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:55 AM   #6
NiagaraXI

My Ride: E46 325xi
Agreed, front is good to go, rear may help a bit.
NiagaraXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:06 AM   #7
SIM\\\

yeah but what setting would i put that H&R to? Too tight and one of the wheels will come off the ground in a hard turn.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:17 AM   #8
Bimmer Dude Xi

My Ride: 03 325XI 07 ZX-6R
Send a message via AIM to Bimmer Dude Xi
there only two settings, try one if you don't like it then switch to the other.

|Dinan High Flow Air Box|Eibach Pro Kit|Koni Sport|UUC Strut Barbarian|UUC TSE3|UUC Underdrive Pulleys|18" VMR V710|

|BMC Race Air Filter|CRG Spectrum Levers| Galfer Steel Braided Brake Lines|Volar Motorsport Spiked Frame & Bar-end Sliders|
Bimmer Dude Xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:11 PM   #9
SIM\\\

Has anyone had experience with both RDS sways and just a rear sway? I'm thinking that its plausible that with both rear and front sways with the rear set to the tightest setting it will induce more oversteer than the understeer gained from the front bar BUT overall the whole car would be more stable than just a rear sway with a stock front sway. Thats more my issue, sorry if I wasn't clear before.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:17 AM   #10
hummer

My Ride: 2001 330CI
You're not interested in asking Dinan? Nobody here knows more about suspension for these cars!
hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:19 PM   #11
SIM\\\

They charge as much for a rear sway as a whole set (front/rear) from racing dynamics. I could get an H&R rear for half the price of theirs. The only reason I have the Dinan S1 is because the previous owner had it installed by the dealership (one of the reasons I bought this particular e46). Its great but overpriced IMO. I think I'd be paying extra just for the name..
Old 02-06-2010, 08:54 AM   #12
Nachos23

My Ride: 2004 330Xi
Send a message via MSN to Nachos23
that is true, but for the sake of finding out the correct answer to the question of sway bar upgrades. Get the guys @ Dinan to explain the pros/cons of front and rear upgrades and post if you choose. Help us all out....

I just called my buddy whoi owns one of the top aftermaket shops here in Toronto (all factory guysl do Ferrari, BMW, mercedes primarily)..... He just hired a Ferrari factory guy as a mechanic who used to work in Ferrari R&D and was on Schumaker's F1 pit team VERY COOL ....... He strongly suggests keeping the stock sway bars and just upgrading end links and bushings with Polyurethane to reduce play in stock rubber bushings..... Taking the car over now for a test drive and further discussion.... will update.....
Nachos23 is offline   Reply With Quote