E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2009, 10:04 AM   #21
Whammy

My Ride: ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABMW13 View Post
jack on the rubber and mount the stands on the frame rails, this may help:
(a pic i just took)
http://www.bavauto.com/newsletter/20...ter.pdf#page=4
Interesting you use the jack stands on these points. I've accidently bent one of the rails with my floor jack when forgetting to use a piece of wood between the jack and the rail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOF View Post
I took it as only dont use the rear OEM jack points. I don't know what the difference between red and green would be as long as it doesnt have an X through it.
I've used the rear side mounts without issue.

Does anyone else have ideas between the red and green points on the picture above?

Quote:
Originally Posted by havnfun328 View Post
Be sure to jake the rear from the subframe, not the differential.
Agreed. Do not touch the differential itself. I though have used the differential carrier to raise the car and have not had a problem. Jack stands were placed underneath the rear side jack mounts.
Whammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #22
Dave1027

My Ride: '06 IR 330ci zhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOF View Post
Here you go
Why does the diagram say not to use the rear jack points because they will bend?

Last edited by Dave1027; 04-28-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Dave1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #23
halo0

My Ride: '02 330i 5mt
I assume that is the underside of an M3? My car looks nothing like that.

^Click, stop by and say hi.^ ------ 5% off Redline leather
halo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:28 PM   #24
BelindaP

My Ride: BMW
Good forum

I found this forum very useful and have bookmarked it for future reference.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:41 PM   #25
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by halo0 View Post
I assume that is the underside of an M3? My car looks nothing like that.
You are exactly correct. M3 has a very convenient center jack point on the front that we non-M's would love to have. We do not have a center jack point on the front of our cars.

EDIT: Correction. M3 and Xi e46's have center jacking point on the front. Others lack this.

Last edited by Stinger9; 09-09-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Stinger9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #26
Hogan773

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
You are exactly correct. M3 has a very convenient center jack point on the front that we non-M's would love to have. We do not have a center jack point on the front of our cars.
I do actually....(XI)......
Hogan773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #27
ddaniel1
CWO4 (Ret)

My Ride: 00 328i, 01 M3 LSB
Our 2000 328i has one also, on the tubular reinforcement.
ddaniel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:59 PM   #28
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaniel1 View Post
Our 2000 328i has one also, on the tubular reinforcement.
Yes, I know the early e46's have a tubular reinforcement. Is it really rock solid enough to take the weight of the car without deforming?
Old 09-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #29
ddaniel1
CWO4 (Ret)

Quote:
Yes, I know the early e46's have a tubular reinforcement. Is it really rock solid enough to take the weight of the car without deforming?
Yes, it is quite strong, I have been lifting the whole front end with it for several years, no sign of collapse whatsoever. In the center of it is one of the bolts that go into the subframe.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:15 PM   #30
Stinger9

Quote:
Yes, it is quite strong, I have been lifting the whole front end with it for several years, no sign of collapse whatsoever. In the center of it is one of the bolts that go into the subframe.
Wish I had that. Why couldn't BMW put something like that into the later model reinforcement plate!
Old 09-09-2013, 11:38 PM   #31
ddaniel1
CWO4 (Ret)

Quote:
Wish I had that. Why couldn't BMW put something like that into the later model reinforcement plate!
A pretty bogus omission on their part. It was probably quite an argument around the design table, the DIY supporting engineers probably got out voted.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #32
frongm

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Put your jack on one of the rear jack pads and crank her up. this will lift the whole side of the car, front as well.. Jack it high enough to put a stand under the front pad. lower.. go to the other side rear and jack her up again. this will raise the opposite side of the car and allow you to put a stand on the front rubber jack point... lower. the front of the car is now on stands on the rubber jack points.. now jack the rear of the car from the center cross member near the diff.. place stands on both rear rubber pads.. done.. i have done this way too many times
frongm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #33
PapiOcho

My Ride: CRV
Re: How best to get E46 onto jack stands?

Quote:
LOL because BMW intended for us to bring the car to the dealer for EVERYTHING. Sneaky sneaky using a lift!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
PapiOcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #34
Dev
PSHOPWERKS

My Ride: Yellow Porsche GT2
Quote:
Is this the spot (red square) you're referring to? This is the front underside of a 323i.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	323i_underside.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	526038  

Current Hate Level: 10 | Previous Hate Level: 9
The hatin' level on the E46Fanatics.com board.

Last edited by Dev; 09-11-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:51 PM   #35
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dev View Post
Is this the spot (red square) you're referring to? This is the front underside of a 323i.
Sure looks like it would take the stress right to the subframe, which would do the job.
Bad part of a common e46 is the Al reinforcement plate has to crush before it comes into contact with the subframe. I have crushed mine and use it to lift. It does work, but pains me everytime I use it to think that the car has a huge blemish because of design stupidity.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:37 PM   #36
ddaniel1
CWO4 (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dev View Post
Yes, that is what I am referring to.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #37
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Bumping this thread.
How the hell do you get the rear of the car on the jack stands without using U bracket on the differential?
For the fronts, I drive on the ramps and lift the car from the rear jacking points and put the stands on the front points. Can I drive the rear wheels on the ramps and lift the car high enough from the front jacking points, to put the rears on the stands?
I always rented the lift, to do anything on the rear suspension. But I want to do the rear ball joints ASAP without renting a lift.
I dont have a long handle jack, hence I am not very comfortable going under the car and jacking up from the rear U bracket. May be I will just buy a pipe and add(weld) it to the short pipe on the jack.

Issue is: I live in an apartment and I dont have space to store full size jacks and tools. Hence I opted for a smaller one.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:53 PM   #38
Stinger9

Not the solution to your query apparently, but I have no problem reaching the rear U bracket with a cheap $29 jack that I bought. Maybe have to drive the car up on 2X8's to start with.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:22 PM   #39
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
How best to get E46 onto jack stands?

Quote:
Not the solution to your query apparently, but I have no problem reaching the rear U bracket with a cheap $29 jack that I bought. Maybe have to drive the car up on 2X8's to start with.
I think I will try your suggestion. Drive rear wheels on the 3 2x8s stacked as ramp(that's what I use for the front) and jack up at the u joint.
Last time I tried to raise the Car on the u joint, my hand was under the bumper(short handle on the jack), so I don't feel comfortable. May be driving the rear wheels on the home made ramps would give me more room to maneuver the jack.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #40
Stinger9

Yes, my car also goes up the ramps fine with the rears. I have a set of the rubber ramps.