E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-23-2009, 06:14 PM   #1
E46 Coupe

My Ride: Rules1 & 2: S T F U!
Arrow *** 10 Tips to organising a E46F Cruise ***

My top 10 tips on cruise organising:

1.If you start something, stick to it.
The biggest thing to keep in mind when organising a cruise is that once you've announced it, you should be committed to seeing it through! Nobody will show up for a "maybe" event, where things change right up until the night before. They want confirmed details and no nasty surprises, so it isn't a waste of their time and money to show up. Confirm the date, start time and location, route and destination well in advance.
Ask for help if you need it too, nobody expects you to organise the whole thing on your own.

2.Its all about the people.
E46F events are about the community, not the cars. Of course E46's are our common interest, but the cars can't interact with each other, the owners do! If you just want to organise a cruise so you can show off to the world how "fully sik" your car is, then take a spin to your local hot-spot on a Friday night. The reason I say that is because any time ego's have been put on display at E46F cruises it has ended badly. Cruises that encourage people to talk to each other always seem to work out well.

3.Think about numbers.
This is a no-brainer. If you're expecting a big group of cars to show up to a cruise, make sure that the meeting spots and cruise routes are obvious and have enough room for everyone. Don't organise to meet in a tiny carpark hidden out the back of the local shops and then take a drive that goes through 93 sets of traffic lights.
Also make sure that you have an appropriate amount of breaks scheduled along the way for people to catch up. Some of these break points should at least have toilets.
If you can, have the original meeting point somewhere close to a servo - you can be sure that someone will forget to fill up before they arrive.

4.Cruise route and timing.
Possibly the most complaints given about a cruise relate to distance and route of the drive. Make it too short and people wonder why they showed up, make it too long and they get agro about driving "forever". As a rule of thumb, about 1-2 hours for the actual cruise route is PLENTY unless the cruise route is particularly fun. Try to avoid bumpy or potholed roads, and roads under repair as well. Some people have spent a lot of money on their E46s and would prefer to keep them damage-free.

5.Talk the talk.
Organisers need to be vocal. Don't sit in the background and hope everyone will work out what the hell is going on! Stand up and make things very clear so nobody is left in the dark - dimsim whispers don't work, and result in people being left behind or getting lost. If you're shy or embarrassed about talking to everyone then find someone else to give a shout-out.
Also remember that handheld UHF radios are pretty common now, so pick a common channel (that ISN'T an emergency one!) and use it.
Better yet, if you can arrange copies of the cruise route or location of stops and the destination then thats great.

6.Final destination.
Where will the cruise end up? Make sure that there is something worthwhile at the end of the drive. Whether that is a tourist attraction, a beautiful location, a great view, or somewhere that people can rest and grab some food/drink and maybe a chat about cars. Don't expect people to be happy about driving for a couple of hours to end up nowhere, then have to turn around and drive back!

7.Fun and games.
Sometimes it is worthwhile to try and come up with something for people to do along the cruise route, if the drive itself isn't particularly exciting. I'll leave the ideas on that one up to you.

8.Keep it in the family.
This point will be argued by some, but I believe in keeping E46F events for E46 owners and enthusiasts. Why? Because as I mentioned earlier, E46s are our common interest. When everyone's mate's brother's cousin shows up with their hero car and attitude it ends up in a big hassle almost every time - mostly because of those heroes who just have to prove their car is better than a E46, or visa-versa.
Of course some E46 owners may not have their car on the road but still want to attend, then thats always great no matter what car they show up in. It means they are REALLY interested in coming along, even without their E46.

9.Stress less.
Probably the biggest tip I can give anyone trying to organise a cruise is to keep everything fairly relaxed and hassle free. I know I have said that you need to be organised, but with that organisation you need to have some flexibility. Don't have everything so tightly wound up that if something goes wrong the whole event is turned on its head. Have a couple of ideas on the shelf in case it all goes pear-shaped.

10.You can't please everyone.
It is just a fact of organising a cruise that you can NEVER please everyone, so don't try! The trick is to listen to the majority of people who are interested in attending and work out what suits them. So what if a few people b!7ch and moan? They'll either get over it, or not show up next time.

So there you have it, my top 10 tips on organising a cruise. I'm not saying these ideas are the best way to run a cruise, but hopefully they fill in a few gaps or help you get an event idea out of your head and onto the E46F forum.
GL!

-Eric

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:47 PM   #2
CortinaD

My Ride: lots
4.5 When leaving the meet point ensure you haven't left Taylor behind.
CortinaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:00 PM   #3
dweebz

My Ride: BMW 320Ci
+1
dweebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:19 PM   #4
Born_2_Plz

My Ride: 1999 bmw 318i e46
Hey guys...if you guys are genuinely intrested i would be more than happy to do whatever it takes...to help wid anything....i really want to get to know every one and have a bit of fun...uni ends in 2 weeks and i got 4 months off...sooo...watever u guys need im in for it...i cant make big descisions coz id rather every1 decide things such as meeting place or where u guys want to drive too..i dont think one person should speak for all. But when a common place has been decided id be more than glad to help with any thing u guys need ...
Born_2_Plz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:21 PM   #5
t.wak

My Ride: 95 525TDS, 94 525iT
Rage eric, RAAAAGE
Old 10-23-2009, 07:40 PM   #6
YGOAMG

My Ride: 325Ci ClubSport
Send a message via MSN to YGOAMG
Great write up Eric
some great points, from a cruise veteran I'm sure
I think it all comes down to practice make perfect, the mire cruises that are organized the better they will be,
I'm really bad at organising events but love attending lol
I think now that summer is approaching, we should have some more regular events, maybe even a fortnightly meet, similar to what Taylor organized a last week!!
That GOR cruise that Sam held was really good also, I can't wait for the next one of those !!

-Peter

ps. Sticky this thread for sure!!!

pps. 11. Illegal behaviour will not be tollerated??

Find me on Instagram
@PeterMarquez346

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4show View Post
who da F done that?
prestige warehouse or who?

Last edited by YGOAMG; 10-23-2009 at 07:46 PM.
YGOAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:43 PM   #7
Sam_Micropak_AU
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: E46 M3 Convert
the GOR cruise wasn't mine dude, that was the sneezinc guys and chewy iirc

Last edited by Sam_Micropak_AU; 10-23-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Sam_Micropak_AU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:04 PM   #8
YGOAMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Micropak_AU View Post
ye i know.. u wernt even there lol
there is more than 1 Sam on here!!!

Find me on Instagram
@PeterMarquez346

Quote:
who da F done that?

Last edited by YGOAMG; 10-23-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:11 PM   #9
DIMSIM

My Ride: BLVD 3i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Micropak_AU View Post
WOW get off ure high horse there Sam! YGOAMG meant Sam as in Sephanite

btw Eric BRAVO, but instead of 'dimsim whispers' can you edit it to 'Chinese whispers'? I dont want anyone to have any sort of false implications on me especailly when Im trying to put together an event in summer!
DIMSIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:23 PM   #10
YGOAMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIMSIM View Post
? I dont want anyone to have any sort of false implications on me especailly when Im trying to put together an event in summer!

i laughed a bit at that!!!

but im not sure implications id the right word though!! hmm

Find me on Instagram
@PeterMarquez346

Quote:
who da F done that?
Old 10-23-2009, 09:02 PM   #11
kai-

My Ride: three two slow
what happened on the GOR cruise?

p.s eric doesnt know what he's talking about, he just makes it up
kai- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:00 PM   #12
Miss325

My Ride: 05 325CiC Individual
Good write up, I think people forget alot of these things when organising a cruise/meet. As for the fun/games bit, I have always thought some kind of scavenger hunt thing would be fun, where people have to collect certian things or do something along the way. BBQs this coming summer would be good too.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:09 PM   #13
YGOAMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss325 View Post
Good write up, I think people forget alot of these things when organising a cruise/meet. As for the fun/games bit, I have always thought some kind of scavenger hunt thing would be fun, where people have to collect certian things or do something along the way. BBQs this coming summer would be good too.
ye i went to one of those on a NissanSilvia.com event aaagggeeess ago!!

it was stuff like, take a photo of something, buy this, find that

Find me on Instagram
@PeterMarquez346

Quote:
who da F done that?
Old 10-23-2009, 10:13 PM   #14
Miss325

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGOAMG View Post
ye i went to one of those on a NissanSilvia.com event aaagggeeess ago!!

it was stuff like, take a photo of something, buy this, find that
Yeh if they are organised well and have a dicent list of stuff to do and find they can be alot of fun
Old 10-23-2009, 10:19 PM   #15
YGOAMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss325 View Post
Yeh if they are organised well and have a dicent list of stuff to do and find they can be alot of fun
ye it was alright, but personally i preffer more of a group social event, rather than everyone doing their own thing

Find me on Instagram
@PeterMarquez346

Quote:
who da F done that?
Old 10-23-2009, 10:30 PM   #16
Miss325

Haha the one I went to was social but not car related, we all cheated which made it all the more fun and ended up having a BBQ at the end
Old 10-24-2009, 04:06 AM   #17
BMW //MPOWER

My Ride: Not much...
You forgot to say don't drive near DIMSIM!!!

BMW 325Ci MY2004 Individual //M Clubsport Edition, //M Clubsport package, //M Sport 18"s, Manual //M Short Shift, Carbon Black, Black Aluminium Cube Interior.
BMW //MPOWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 04:11 AM   #18
BMW //MPOWER

My Ride: Not much...
As for scav hunts, i'm a fan, but they need to be done well & carefully.
All of the proper full-on one's i've been involved with have been awesome fun & we generally ended up getting some pics on the news or on TV, but unfortunately there is always a select few who mess up, don't follow the rules and end up needing to get bailed out of jail... not something i want to have to deal with on an E46F cruise.

BMW 325Ci MY2004 Individual //M Clubsport Edition, //M Clubsport package, //M Sport 18"s, Manual //M Short Shift, Carbon Black, Black Aluminium Cube Interior.
BMW //MPOWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:07 PM   #19
E46 Coupe

My Ride: Rules1 & 2: S T F U!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIMSIM View Post
but instead of 'dimsim whispers' can you edit it to 'Chinese whispers'? I dont want anyone to have any sort of false implications on me especailly when Im trying to put together an event in summer!
I could.. but that would be racist
No offence to the Dimmy! Your cruises have been awesome to say the least

PS .. Kai next cruise I'm going to fart on you
Old 10-25-2009, 05:30 PM   #20
///Pulo

My Ride: 330CI///M individual
Send a message via Skype™ to ///Pulo
good write up!!
sticky!!!!!

us melbournians need to organise heaps of e46 meets and cruises this summer

Tags
cruise