E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-29-2009, 04:15 PM   #1
LLCoolJeff

My Ride: '99 323i 4d
rattling only with ac on

so i have narrowed down a rattle to only when the ac is on which leads me to believe it is the compressor that is rattling and not the a/c belt system because that is spinning even when the a/c is off. am I correct? or could it still be one of the pulleys in the a/c belt system?

If it is the compressor, is there any way around buying a new compressor? they're ridiculously expensive and ill just live with it if it comes down to that.

I live in arizona so the a/c had been perpetually on since i bought the car. Now that im experimenting what happenns when it off I have noticed that it shifts a lot rougher with the a/c off. Is this normal?
LLCoolJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:52 PM   #2
eweis

My Ride: 1999 328i
I also have this problem on a '99 328i. When I turn the a/c on, it rattles, as you say, or chatters or knocks as I would describe it. First, thing I did was replace the a/c belt tensioner (and the other tensioner and pulley) but that didn't resolve it and the old a/c belt tensioner didn't seem to be worn out.
It makes this sound upon a/c startup and most typically when sitting at idle. Not dedectable while driving.
The a/c works fine and there are no codes being thrown.
Anyone else have this problem or know of a solution or way to investigate further?

Thanks
eweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:02 PM   #3
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
I get quite a bit of noise from it as well.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:52 PM   #4
LLCoolJeff

3 people so far with the same problem, i was thinking of changing my tensioner as well, but if it doesnt fix it then i guess im glad i didnt waste my money on it. Anyone know what is causing this common problem?
Old 09-30-2009, 12:11 AM   #5
DiscoStu
Sienna Red Coupe

My Ride: 2013 VW GLI
I had this same problem, a rattling noise only when the A/C compressor was on. I lived with it for a little bit but it started to trigger my SES light. I eventually ended up replacing it. The noise is being caused by a bad pulley on the A/C compressor. Unfortunately, the only fix is to replace the entire compressor.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:41 AM   #6
LLCoolJeff

im not positive myself but isnt that called the comrpessor clutch? cant that be replaced without replacing the whole compressor unit?
?
Old 09-30-2009, 04:37 PM   #7
DiscoStu
Sienna Red Coupe

My Ride: 2013 VW GLI
The A/C compressor is all or nothing. I suppose you could find a shop to tear it down and rebuild it for you, however. I'd save that headache and just buy a new one.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:43 PM   #8
mick22589

My Ride: 2001 330i, 72 cutty
yeah my compressor clutch went. it would click when i turned on the ac and also when i hit the brakes because it was shifting. just got a new compressor, although a guy did say he couldve just replaced the clutch for me.
mick22589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:02 PM   #9
LLCoolJeff

how much did you pay for the new compressor?
Old 09-30-2009, 05:19 PM   #10
mick22589

got one out of a junkyard...paid 60 bucks for it and 100 for the install.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:14 PM   #11
LLCoolJeff

when you buy that from a junkyard, you are really just gambling that a) it works, and b) it too doesn't rattle when turned on like the current one.

Am i correct? or can you return them if its not performing right?
Old 10-03-2009, 08:30 AM   #12
mick22589

nope no guarantees...but wth it was 60 bucks ya know? no biggie
Old 10-27-2009, 02:20 AM   #13
maxi

My Ride: BMW E46 328I, 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoStu View Post
I had this same problem, a rattling noise only when the A/C compressor was on. I lived with it for a little bit but it started to trigger my SES light. I eventually ended up replacing it. The noise is being caused by a bad pulley on the A/C compressor. Unfortunately, the only fix is to replace the entire compressor.
I have the same prob in 99 328i, it's caused by bad Pulley, you're right. And I agree for not rebuild the comprosser, just buy a new one, sence rebuilding will cost aproxmitly same price of new one, and may wont last long with you like the new.