E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 11:12 AM   #281
eclipsor

My Ride: stahlblau
Send a message via AIM to eclipsor
price to wrap (if possible) facelifted sedan kidney grills in CF?

Jet Black 1994 325is -> Steelblue 2003 325i
eclipsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #282
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: Euro
Send a message via AIM to Don Nguyen
PM sent.

Here is a black Mercedes W204 C300 or C350, I don't remember, since it was debaged. I vinyl wrapped the chrome or brushed aluminum window trims with my gloss black vinyl material to give it that shadowline blacked out look. For this car, we went with the gloss black material over the matte black material. We did this so that the window trim would blend in with the car more, since his tail lights were tinted fairly dark (making then look like gloss black) and his wheels had some gloss black accents on it as well. I also blacked out the chrome trunk handle in the rear to complete the entire chrome blacking our look/process.

In addition to the window trim, I also did the top half portion of the side mirror blinkers in gloss black. I basically covered the reflector portion and left the actual indicator portion visible/clear.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Don Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #283
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

I've had a few people ask me what a gloss black vinyl wrapped roof would look like on a more stock/factory looking car. I vinyl wrapped the roof of this white BMW E46 325i sedan in my gloss black vinyl material. For this particular car, if the owner of this car was to have keep this car as is, without doing too many other mods, gloss black would definitely be the correct choice over matte black or carbon fiber, etc. Those finishes would be too aggressive for the car. Don't mind the pink emblems. This car was owned by a girl. The owner of this car drove out to me from Irvine/Orange County.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 04-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #284
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

I've had a few people ask me what a gloss black vinyl wrapped roof would look like on a more stock/factory looking car. I vinyl wrapped the roof of this white BMW E46 325i sedan in my gloss black vinyl material. For this particular car, if the owner of this car was to have keep this car as is, without doing too many other mods, gloss black would definitely be the correct choice over matte black or carbon fiber, etc. Those finishes would be too aggressive for the car. Don't mind the pink emblems. This car was owned by a girl. The owner of this car drove out to me from Irvine/Orange County.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 04-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #285
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Here is an imola red BMW E46 M3 that had me vinyl wrap his roof with the 3M 1080 gloss carbon fiber material. I tried to take more pictures to try and help show the differences between carbon fiber weaves in the 3M 1080 vs the 3M di-noc material. I believe the owner of this car was from San Diego and came up to me in Orange County to have the vinyl work done. The weave in the 1080 material is a lot smaller/finer, and due to the nature of the material, it comes out wavier than the dinoc material.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 04-30-2012, 11:43 AM   #286
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Tinted / smoked the headlights on this new white C250 Mercedes sedan with the new lighter shade of tint that I have been using. The darkness of this tint is about half of other tint shade that I used to use. This shade of tint is light enough to still allow a good amount of light through it, so that not too much light output is reduced, but it is still dark enough that it still tones down the head lights / tail lights that it is being applied to. The owner of this car came out to me from around Corona to Orange County / Anaheim Hills to get the vinyl work done. I also blacked out the chrome and the roof on this same car.

Before - Untinted/unsmoked on passenger side, tinted/smoked on driver side:

Untinted/unsmoked:

Tinted/smoked:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 04-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #287
fire730

My Ride: 01 325iT - 04 Burb
I'm glad you are located on the West Coast. So I can't spend too much money at your shop. Lol

Since I'm all the way in Louisiana do you think that any competent window tinter could get close to doing as good of a job as I've seen in your pics. I'd be looking to get my Tahoe headlights lightly tinted like you did on the white Mercedes and maybe a gloss black roof/rear wing on my E46 Touring and get my window trim blacked out.
fire730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #288
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Honestly, I won't be able to judge or tell you that. You'll have to ask the detailer to show some of their past work, etc, for you to figure out if they can do it or not. I do not do window tinting, but vinyl and window tinting is only so similar between the two. I wouldn't be able to tint windows right off the bat, and I figure a window tinter wouldn't be able to do vinyl wrapping right off the bat as well.

-Don
Old 04-30-2012, 10:04 PM   #289
fire730

My Ride: 01 325iT - 04 Burb
You need to do like the Chevrolet tuner guy does and set up meets around the country and do a bunch of cars at one time.

But it seems like you are busy enough with customers in Cali.

So the tint you put on the headlights is actually 3m vinyl?
fire730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #290
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

I use a specific film for the headlights, depending on what is being done (IE Protection, tinting, etc).

Who said you couldn't modify wagons? Here is a brand new white Mercedes E63 AMG wagon that I vinyl wrapped the factory chrome or brushed aluminum window trim with my matte black vinyl material. In addition to the chrome window trim, I also blacked out the rear chrome trunk handle piece to complete the look. The owner of this car was local to me in Orange County. It made a big difference as you can see from the before/after pictures. Getting rid of the chrome made the car look a lot more solid and really pulled the car together. Completely changed the look/stance of the car in my opinion.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 05-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #291
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Brand new alpine white BMW 550i F10 sedan, less than a week old. The owner of this car had me vinyl wrap the roof of his F10 in gloss black including the side roof rails on his car. The antenna was painted gloss jet black to match the roof. This car came out to me to from Buena Park area to Anaheim Hills/Orange County to get the work done. I think the gloss black roof really suited this bigger body car very well, especially with the black trunk spoiler and darker gunmetal wheels. The car came with the sport package factory shadowline trim from the factory already, so that match fairly well with the roof as well.

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 05-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #292
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Somewhat more recently, I had this titanium silver BMW E46 330i ZHP sedan come by to have me vinyl wrap the roof of his car with the 3M di-noc matte carbon fiber vinyl material for him. I think this is the first E46 or even BMW in general that I have worked on that did not have a sunroof, which was pretty cool. As you can see in the pictures, both the side roof rails were wrapped along with the roof for this car. The owner of this car was from around the Los Angeles county and came out to me in Orange County / Anaheim Hills to get it done.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 05-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #293
Yayo330

My Ride: AW330ci
Could you pm me pricing/time required for roof and window trim wrap in gloss black and matte black? Thanks in advance
Old 05-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #294
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

PM sent.

-Don
Old 05-09-2012, 12:12 PM   #295
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Again, this is the new lighter shade of tint/smoke film that I am using. This is not regular normal window tint. This material is designed to be used on the exteriors of cars. I tinted / smoked the tail lights on this darker gray gunmetal colored new E350 sedan. We decided to go with covering the entire tail light to give it a consistent finish over the whole tail light versus just tinting the clear or red section on this car. The owner of this car was from around Newport Beach area and came out to me in Anaheim Hills to get the work done. It's not often that I get non white cars, so this will help out those who have similar colored cars and were thinking about getting their tails smoked or tinted and how it'd look. I also took some pictures inside and outside, to show the differences of how the shade looks in different lighting conditions.

Before:

Driver side tinted/smoked - Passenger side untinted/unsmoked.

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 05-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #296
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

The owner of this silver F10 528i sedan drove down from norcal / San Francisco to me in Orange County to have his window trim vinyl wrapped with my gloss black vinyl. Similar to what the shadowline trim would have looked like from the BMW factory. I took more close up pictures around the edges, corners, etc this time to show you guys in more detail of how the finished product looks.

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 05-14-2012, 11:52 AM   #297
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Not exactly sure the name of the color of this 370z, but the color looked silver. Either way, I vinyl wrapped the roof of this car in my gloss black material. The owner drove from Los Angeles county to me in Orange County to the roof wrapped. The curves of the roof really help make the gloss black roof pop and stand out a bit more. The owner of this car plastidip his antenna in the matte black finish. So this is good for those who wanted to get gloss black roofs and wanted to plastidip their antennas. I believe plastidip has a gloss black version out now that'd probably work better.

Some of the plastidip peeled off/up a bit when installing the vinyl. Tip of advice, plastidip the antenna after the roof is wrapped, instead of plastidipping i tbeforehand.

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 05-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #298
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

I had a new silver Lexus CT200h come by to have me vinyl wrap his roof with the 3M di-noc matte carbon fiber material. The owner of this car was also from Irvine / Orange County. Took some close up pictures around the antenna area and side rails, just to show you the extent of the vinyl coverage and it looks up close. I think the roof accented the silver color of the car fairly well, especially since this carbon fiber finish has somewhat of a silver/gray tone to it, even though it is the black carbon fiber finish. The owner of this car also wants me to wrap his hood with the 3M dinoc carbon fiber material and tint his tails as well, so once I do those, I'll post some more pictures.

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 05-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #299
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

The owner of this blue VW Mk4 Jetta contacted me regarding the clear coat/paint issues that he has been having on his roof. The original plan was to wrap the trunk, roof, and hood, to cover up and prevent any further oxidizing of the paint. However, I told him to just go with the roof first, to test it out and see how that turns out first before continuing with the rest.

Vinyl is only an alternative to paint, it is not a replacement. However, in this case, it was a cheaper option and better than leaving the roof to oxidize further. The better condition the roof is in, the better the final results of the vinyl wrap will be. The vinyl material is very thin, about the same thickness as the car's paint, so it is by no means a body filler. Luckily for the owner of this car, even though the roof was in pretty bad condition, the vinyl was able to hide/cover up most of the oxidation without showing through the vinyl itself.

We went with the gloss black vinyl finish for the roof to give it a more factory look, versus going with the matte black finish or carbon fiber finishes.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 05-19-2012, 05:38 PM   #300
kar15

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Nguyen View Post
The owner of this blue VW Mk4 Jetta contacted me regarding the clear coat/paint issues that he has been having on his roof. The original plan was to wrap the trunk, roof, and hood, to cover up and prevent any further oxidizing of the paint. However, I told him to just go with the roof first, to test it out and see how that turns out first before continuing with the rest.

Vinyl is only an alternative to paint, it is not a replacement. However, in this case, it was a cheaper option and better than leaving the roof to oxidize further. The better condition the roof is in, the better the final results of the vinyl wrap will be. The vinyl material is very thin, about the same thickness as the car's paint, so it is by no means a body filler. Luckily for the owner of this car, even though the roof was in pretty bad condition, the vinyl was able to hide/cover up most of the oxidation without showing through the vinyl itself.

We went with the gloss black vinyl finish for the roof to give it a more factory look, versus going with the matte black finish or carbon fiber finishes.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com

That's exactly what I want to do to slow down the paint deteriorating. Mines not as bad yet. Email sent.
kar15 is offline   Reply With Quote