E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #441
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: Euro
Send a message via AIM to Don Nguyen
***Note - This is a darker shade that is a completely different and a lot darker shade than all of my other tinted tail light pictures, this is not the standard shade I use***

The owner of this black Maserati brought me his car to tint/smoke the headlights and tail lights of his car with a very dark vinyl film. He was basically going for the blacked out look. This is not a typical shade/darkness that I use, which is always a very light shade. The owner of this car was also in Orange County and drove out to me in Anaheim Hills to get the work done. Light out put is going to be definitely affected by going this dark, but if you're trying to achieve a completely blacked out or murdered out type of look, then this would be it.

Before:

During:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Don Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:00 PM   #442
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

The owner of this car previously had me black out the chrome around his window trim and rear trunk bar as well as lightly tint the tai lights. However he decided to come back to also have me wrap the rear trunk spoiler of his car in the 3M 1080 gloss carbon fiber vinyl material as well, to match the real carbon fiber diffuser he just had put on. Hopefully this will give you guys somewhat of an idea of how the gloss carbon fiber vinyl compares to real carbon fiber parts. The owner of this car drove out to my shop in Anaheim Hills/Orange County to have the work done. Note, not all spoilers are possible or practical to wrap due to its shapes/curves, but this one happen to be an exception.

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com

Last edited by Don Nguyen; 01-07-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:40 PM   #443
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Not many people know that I use/have other colors of head/tail light film in addition to the normal tint/smoke films that most people typically have me use on their cars. The owner of this Mini Cooper brought his car by to have me tint his head lights yellow and his tail lights with red. I know the yellow headlights isn't for everybody, but the owner of this Mini wanted to do something different, and it's always possible to go back to stock/reversible with vinyl. The owner of this car drove out from Inland Empire to me in Anaheim hills/Orange county to have the work done.

Before:

After (note the headlights are on in these pictures):

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 01-23-2014, 12:40 PM   #444
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Not many people know that I use/have other colors of head/tail light film in addition to the normal tint/smoke films that most people typically have me use on their cars. The owner of this Mini Cooper brought his car by to have me tint his head lights yellow and his tail lights with red. I know the yellow headlights isnít for everybody, but the owner of this Mini wanted to do something different, and itís always possible to go back to stock/reversible with vinyl. The owner of this car drove out from Inland Empire to me in Anaheim hills/Orange county to have the work done.

Before:

After (note the headlights are on in these pictures):

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 01-27-2014, 06:02 PM   #445
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

The owner of this car drove from Los Angeles to me in Orange County/Anaheim Hills to have me do some vinyl work on his brand new white Mercedes Benz CLS 550. We went with gloss black for his roof, side roof rails, and center portion of the lower bumper. Then for the chrome side window trim, we went with matte black for those. Finally, for the tail lights, I used my transparent red vinyl to red out the clear/white portion of his tail lights to give it a single complete red appearance/color.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 01-29-2014, 09:54 PM   #446
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

This specific car is not the typical case of a car coming in with chrome/brushed aluminum trim and wanting me to black out their trim with my vinyl materials. The owner of this BMW E30 M3 brought his car in to have me vinyl wrap the previously painted gloss black trim with my matte black vinyl. I know it may be a bit hard to tell, but if you look at the pictures side by side or back to back it may be easier to notice the differences between how matte black trim vs gloss black trim looks like on a car.

This is also good for those who have asked me in the past how well vinyl will cover up bumps/dents/etc. As you may see in some of the pictures, whoever did the paint job on the trim did not do that good of a job, which left the trim a bit lumpy/uneven. If you can't see or make it out in the pictures, any imperfections that are underneath the vinyl will show through, as the material is fairly thin and basically takes on the shape of the surface/pieces that they are being applied on over.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 02-08-2014, 12:19 PM   #447
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

I feel like sometime the only cars I do are BMWs, then I go on a stretch not doing any BMWs for a while. Either way, the owner of this silver E46 BMW M3 brought his car in to have me vinyl wrap the roof of his car in my gloss black vinyl material. It was also a nice change of pace to have a non-white colored car come in for some vinyl work done. The owner of this car drove his car to my shop in Anaheim Hills/Orange County to have the work done. I think the gloss black roof on the silver really contrasts and compliments it fairly well.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 02-12-2014, 08:39 PM   #448
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

I always do enjoy having modified cars come by to have work done on their cars. The owner of this carbon black BMW E39 M5 came by to have me apply my light tint material to his whole tail light. This is the same material/shade that you see me using in all of my previous pictures of tinted tail lights. It may appear slightly lighter on this specific car, but that's because on darker colored cars (IE black, dark grey, etc) the contrast between the tint shade and the car is not as big, so it'll appear lighter than it does on lighter colored cars (IE white, silver, etc). He drove out to me in Anaheim Hills/Orange County to have the vinyl work done.

Before:

Left/driver side tinted - Right/passenger side stock:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 02-18-2014, 12:56 PM   #449
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

I always take requests, if anyone is trying to look for a specific example of my vinyl work on a certain type of color or car. In this case, I had someone ask me if I could post pictures of blacked out window trim on a red colored car. The owner of this red Audi S5 had me black out his chrome/brushed aluminum window trim with my matte black vinyl material. I believe the owner of this car was from Los Angeles and drove out to me in Anaheim Hills/Orange County to have the work done. I think the matte black provides a nice contrast with the bright color of the car, but I think gloss black would have looked just equally as good in this case.

Before:

After:

Note: The bump that can be seen on the top rear quarter window trim piece is a factory bump/seam and not due to any installation reasons/issues.

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 02-21-2014, 02:08 PM   #450
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

This picture set is a lot shorter than what I normally post, but I get a lot of requests for pictures of carbon fiber wrapped front lips. The owner of this white Mercedes CLA sedan came by to have me wrap the back 1/3rd of his roof in gloss black, to complete the panoramic look of his car. In addition to the roof, he also had me wrap the front lip of his car int he 3M 1080 gloss carbon fiber vinyl material. Due to the size of his front lip, I had to do it in three different pieces/sections. I decided to make two seam lines that lined up/matched two edges of the bumper's lower grill. Unfortunately, due to how late it was when the owner of this car came, it became dark very quick and it was hard to photograph pictures of the car once it was done with the lighting that was available inside. The owner of this car drove to me in Orange county/Anaheim Hills from Los Angeles to have the work done.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 02-23-2014, 08:46 PM   #451
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

For this white Audi A6 sedan, I vinyl wrapped the roof in my gloss black vinyl material and also lightly smoked/tinted the tail lights of his car. I liked the way this turned out, because the changes with the gloss black roof and lightly tinted tails really gave the car a different look without making it look too modified. If you didn't know or didn't look very closely, most would probably have thought it came from the factory like this. The owner of this car brought his car out to me in Anaheim hills/Orange county to have the vinyl work done.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 02-27-2014, 01:24 PM   #452
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

I know the before/after differences may not show up well in the pictures, but for those who own these cars and are familiar with it, I am sure you can see/notice the differences. The owner of this white Lexus IS250 brought in his car to have me apply a clear red transparent film over the orange amber portion of his tail lights. This gives the tail lights a nice consistent red tone/finish to the entire tail light, without having the random orange amber break up the tail light's lines. In addition to the tails, I also applied a clear transparent yellow film to his head lights. I typically use the yellow for fog lights, but I have had quite a few requests for the yellow to be applied on head lights in the past and lately.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 03-10-2014, 11:01 PM   #453
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

The owner of this new jet black Lexus IS250 sedan had me vinyl wrap the chrome/brushed aluminum window trim. The blacked out trim makes a huge difference on dark colored cars, as you can see in the pictures below. For this car, we went with the gloss black vinyl finish for the material, to have the window trim of the car blend in with the black paint on the car. The owner of this car drove out to me in Anaheim Hills/Orange County to have the work done.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 03-10-2014, 11:01 PM   #454
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

The owner of this new jet black Lexus IS250 sedan had me vinyl wrap the chrome/brushed aluminum window trim. The blacked out trim makes a huge difference on dark colored cars, as you can see in the pictures below. For this car, we went with the gloss black vinyl finish for the material, to have the window trim of the car blend in with the black paint on the car. The owner of this car drove out to me in Anaheim Hills/Orange County to have the work done.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 04-24-2014, 11:51 AM   #455
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

I blacked out the chrome/brushed aluminum window trim on this black Lexus IS sedan. This car had window visors installed on the windows, but I was able to work around them without any issues. The owner of this car had me go with gloss black for the chrome window trim, so that it'd blend in with the car more. They drove out to me in Anaheim Hills/Orange County to have the work done. There wasn't much chrome on the car to begin with, so blacking out the chrome window trim changed the look of the car quite a bit.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 07-07-2014, 11:10 AM   #456
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Typically people have their roofs wrapped, but the owner of this white Honda CRZ had me vinyl wrap the hood of her car, using the 3M dinoc matte carbon fiber material. Due to the design of the material, and even carbon fiber weave in general, the material looks different from different angles as you walk around the car.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 07-09-2014, 11:27 AM   #457
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

The owner of this white Audi Q5 brought me her car to have me lightly smoke/tint her tail lights with my film. I've had a lot of people ask me recently if I have any other shades, but this is actually the only shade I have used and posted pictures of for the past couple of years now. In addition to her tails, I also did the lower bumper reflectors to match the tail lights, but left the upper third brake light alone. She brought her car to me in Anaheim Hills/Orange County to have the tinting work done.

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 07-11-2014, 02:07 PM   #458
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

For this black Lexus GS350 sedan, I vinyl wrapped the chrome/brushed aluminum trim around his windows, rear chrome trunk bar and front chrome grill surround in my gloss black vinyl material. We went with gloss black over matte black to have the trim pieces blend in with the rest of the black paint better. The owner of this car was from Orange County as well and drove out to me in Anaheim Hills to get the work. Getting rid of all of the chrome really cleans up the lines of the car quite a bit.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 07-14-2014, 09:31 PM   #459
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

On this white Mercedes Benz E350 sedan, I vinyl wrapped the roof of the car with my gloss black vinyl and also blacked out the chrome/brushed aluminum window trim with the same gloss black finish. I had some requests to post pictures of cars with roof spoilers that were left white, so here's an example of a car that had the roof vinyl wrapped gloss black but left the roof spoiler body colored. In addition the the chrome around the window trim, I also blacked out the rear trunk chrome bar. The owner of this car drove out to me in Anaheim Hills/Orange County to have the work done.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com
Old 07-19-2014, 11:12 AM   #460
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

The owner of this blue E92 M3 has had me do several of his cars in the past before as well. This time he brought me his car to have me lightly smoke/tint the tail lights on his car. Sorry for the before/during pictures, the lighting wasnít as good, but hopefully you can see how the tail lights look like in the after pictures. The owner of this car was around Newport Beach are and came out to me in Anaheim Hills/Orange county to have the tint work done. Itís a fairly light shade, which gives it a very factory look.

Before:

Driver/left side stock - passenger/right side tinted:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com