E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-31-2009, 05:51 PM   #1
GoldenTensa

My Ride: 2000 323i
Exclamation Leak through the antenna

I had my car shipped and now it leaks, water drips in the middle of the back, where the backlight on the rear window shield is located. My car was on the top of the double deck transportation truck and they might have gone under a tunnel or maybe a tree branch was hit. It's not that bad, the antenna is still there but i can move it. It rains where I am at right now and its annoying to go into a car where it smells like a middle school gym locker room. I placed a towel to collect the drips every week. How can I seal this leakage? I bought epoxy and silicone glue but I'm not sure if they would work. I dont want to go in to the dealership and pay $$$$$$. Is there a way to fix this problem?

someone please help!
GoldenTensa is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:09 PM   #2
gsletch

My Ride: 2000 328i Sport
I noticed this in my car here recently. The 3rd rear brake light headliner cover is wet and drips wetting the top of the rear seats???? I highly doubt the seal around the rear glass is leaking. From what I have read the "bee stinger" antenna gasket isn't sealing and water is coming in there. I think, but I am not 100% sure, the gasket isn't sold separately, but as a part of the whole "bee stinger" antenna assembly. Anyone know????
gsletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:22 PM   #3
xaviman

My Ride: Supercharged
i had the same problem, seal it with black urethane silycone.

Screen shot 2014-01-25 at 12.36.33 PM by xaviman, on Flickr
Instagram: xaviman
xaviman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:16 PM   #4
GoldenTensa

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaviman View Post
i had the same problem, seal it with black urethane silycone.
you know where i can get some of that?
Old 12-10-2009, 07:03 PM   #5
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Use O ring...did mine, no leak, looks beautiful...I'll search for part number or size...did it a few months ago...

There's a diy with o-ring part somewhere...here's from the original solution I used ...search on this forum for other solutions...but this is the one that worked for me perfectly!

Good luck

I fixed my leak using a rubber O ring. Specifically, Danco #18 O rings are available at Home Depot. They use to sell them individually but they now come in a box of 10 for $2. This ring has an inner diameter of 15/16" and fit the base of the bee sting perfectly. No plumbers putty or messy caulk is needed so the entire job takes about 5 minutes. Also, I want to make sure that everyone understands that there is no need to remove the headliner. You can remove the antenna base to get to the gasket area from above.

Doug in NJ
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:05 PM   #6
justinrn21

My Ride: 00 323ci / 91 318is
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Use O ring...did mine, no leak, looks beautiful...I'll search for part number or size...did it a few months ago...

There's a diy with o-ring part somewhere...here's from the original solution I used ...search on this forum for other solutions...but this is the one that worked for me perfectly!

Good luck

I fixed my leak using a rubber O ring. Specifically, Danco #18 O rings are available at Home Depot. They use to sell them individually but they now come in a box of 10 for $2. This ring has an inner diameter of 15/16" and fit the base of the bee sting perfectly. No plumbers putty or messy caulk is needed so the entire job takes about 5 minutes. Also, I want to make sure that everyone understands that there is no need to remove the headliner. You can remove the antenna base to get to the gasket area from above.

Doug in NJ
This. I did this about a month ago. I still have 9 0-rings left and a leak-free roof. It is a lot better than using any kind of silicone or putty
Old 12-10-2009, 07:18 PM   #7
Eliott's-BMW

My Ride: E46 3-Pedal Mafia
O-ring+ silicon...

"May GOD grant you DOUBLE the amount you wish upon me!"
Eliott's-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:18 PM   #8
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
mine started doing this, when i heard the price i siliconed the b1tch and it hasnt leaked since, no one has noticed it yet either.

the problem is the rubber rings on the base get old and crack and then water leaks in, so silicone it up and you'll be alright.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:04 PM   #9
GoldenTensa

thanks a lot guys, i actually bought the silicone stuff instead and now the leak is gone, it doesn't look that bad..
Old 08-10-2010, 10:06 PM   #10
Snik
OEM ///Member

im about to take my roof liner off and plug it totally... mine is starting to leak again.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:10 AM   #11
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
im about to take my roof liner off and plug it totally... mine is starting to leak again.
Snik,

I have at least 2 years, I think, on my Danco #18 0-ring, and frankly, how you going to plug it up...as in just squirting a ton of caulk beneath the antenna, or remove the antenna completely and bondo and paint?

Anyway, #18. I washed/waxed beneath before I did this (had to!)...and added a small dab of silicone grease to o-ring...again, had to! Too tight, the 0-ring spills out from beestinger and looks bad.

Just saying...it looks great and is more filling!

BTW, just for the record, this is just an o-ring. I know someone else had found that part of the delta faucet repair kit can be disassembled and also fit...but if I recall, you then needed another something to add...

Anyway, clean, elegant, leakproof! #18 ftw!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 08-11-2010, 10:34 AM   #12
Snik
OEM ///Member

i plan on either removing it and using bondo, or cutting the wires inside and completely sealing it with silicone.
i think mine is actually leaking down the core of the lil antenna wire. because the base is completely siliconed, and im still leaking... its frikin pissing me off.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:47 AM   #13
dmax

Quote:
i plan on either removing it and using bondo, or cutting the wires inside and completely sealing it with silicone.
i think mine is actually leaking down the core of the lil antenna wire. because the base is completely siliconed, and im still leaking... its frikin pissing me off.
Ah, there's something in between the two halves, snik, so maybe a dab of black rtv there too.

I'm going to vote against the bondo idea though...seems overkill for this. Also, you positive you might not be leaking from the top rear window? I haven't heard of this, mind you, but just wondering if you checked that seal.

BTW, I won't report you to the authorities if you spend all your time bondo, repainting, etc...though I think a little step more will get you there. Frankly, at that point, for $50, I'd just break down and buy the antenna...time is money, they say!

BTW, I sense some anger against your car...think you need to wash her immediately after this repair!

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 08-11-2010, 11:07 AM   #14
Snik
OEM ///Member

lol, youre funny. i am frustrated, between the damn driver door vapor barrier and that antenna the frikin car leaks, my pos S10 never leaked, wtf BMW?
of all the things i find unacceptable, the leaks and the subframe. but oh well... i really dont want to remove it, and leave a ugly spot on the roof, but i guess i'll man up and tackle it one of these day days.

i deploy next month, and when i get back either at my 6 month mark or 12 months, i want it gone, time to get my dream car, (E46 M3) and be done with the BS wannabe M-ness.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:18 PM   #15
dmax

Quote:
lol, youre funny. i am frustrated, between the damn driver door vapor barrier and that antenna the frikin car leaks, my pos S10 never leaked, wtf BMW?
of all the things i find unacceptable, the leaks and the subframe. but oh well... i really dont want to remove it, and leave a ugly spot on the roof, but i guess i'll man up and tackle it one of these day days.

i deploy next month, and when i get back either at my 6 month mark or 12 months, i want it gone, time to get my dream car, (E46 M3) and be done with the BS wannabe M-ness.
First, good luck wherever...I hope you sand and sun...suspect not much surf!

Second, now you really have to wash her!

News flash: Yesterday, Northern VA, Colonel Snik drove his POS bmw into the potomac. Said he, "this guy on the internet said I should wash her, so I did. It was her time anyway, between the leaking antenna and vapor barrier, she was just too much for me."

Future plans include a trip to Nurburgring to pick up Flat Black M3 and extra window regulators

Definitely wash her...and don't forget to get the top of the rear wheel lip!

A recent set

Old 08-11-2010, 12:49 PM   #16
Snik
OEM ///Member

im not washing her till next week, im lazy, im on go slow this week.