E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2009, 08:12 AM   #21
Rush4theYehO
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,395
My Ride: XI fts(now)
Concealed means concealed. How many guns are you planning on "illegally" storing anyways?
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:27 AM   #22
budman
-not a mod-
 
budman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: South Flo Rida
Posts: 31,567
My Ride: is your mom
Send a message via AIM to budman Send a message via Yahoo to budman
If your gun was purchased legally, and your following all the rules as "authorized by law" then they have no means to say you can't own a weapon

Unless they meant for this rule to allow only police officers to have guns there.. in that case they need to rewrite their policy.
__________________
-Gunnar
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:00 AM   #23
GlockMan
Registered User
 
GlockMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,968
My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Just ask them or ignore them.

I have never thought twice about having a gun in an apartment, hotel, rental car, etc.

If you can carry, you should be fine.

If you are worried about it, buy a $100 safe and put all gun related stuff in it so the bug guy or maintance guy doesnt see it.
__________________
.
!!! ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!
National Champions: 1925, 1926, 1930, 1934, 1941, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014?



Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:28 AM   #24
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian
 
JonJon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: One of the most evil states ever to exist
Posts: 3,480
My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush4theYehO View Post
Concealed means concealed. How many guns are you planning on "illegally" storing anyways?
If you are implying that once you obtain a CCW, LTCF, etc you HAVE TO conceal, I just want to say that is not true (OC States). It's a big misconception by gun owners and police. Just trying to stop some misinformation.
__________________
Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:23 PM   #25
david05111
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ponte Vedra, FL
Posts: 3,857
My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
JonJon is right here.

The way the policy is worded is just retarded and if a lawyer drew it up for them, they should lose their license. "Unless authorized by law." Guess what? Everyone who is over a certain age and isn't a felon is authorized to have a Firearm by law aka. The Second Amendment.

That means that you can have a freakin' cannon in your apartment if you have the right paperwork. Since you have a CCW and you purchased the guns (handgun, rifle, shotgun, etc.) legally and have proper paperwork, I'd say you're in the clear. I'd also venture to say that they can't evict you for it, as their contract is so terrible. I think they would have to take you to court to try to do it and I bet you would win.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about it but try to keep them low-profile. Its never a good idea anyways for people to know how many firearms you have in your residence; that's how break-ins occur. If you're just going out for the day, make sure your gun is concealed. If you're going to the range, take the guns and smile to them as you walk by knowing that they really can't do much.

Assuming you have a long lease, they can't evict you until it's up in this case (I don't think).

Now the next problem I see is your proximity to campus. I would be very, very careful if I were you about concealing around there. I'd make it my business to know exactly where the campus property lines are and avoid them. Even though you have a CCW, unless the school says you can, its a second degree misdemeanor if you have the permit or a felony if you don't if you're caught with it in the boundaries of campus.

Good luck.

*****I am not a Lawyer, so take my opinion with a grain of salt*****
__________________


"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:32 PM   #26
TheRusski
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SD
Posts: 7,666
My Ride: gone...
Just dont tell them
__________________
TheRusski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:19 PM   #27
JTLaz
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Beaches are a plenty
Posts: 315
My Ride: Can now offroad
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroBmrDude View Post
Just dont tell them
Its not even about telling them. There is one way out of my apartment complex into my parking garage so when I go to the gun range I take my 4 guns from my room to my car. I have to pass by the office when I do this and I always have them say something to me. It has nothing to do with conceal carrying any of my firearms.
JTLaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:39 PM   #28
david05111
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ponte Vedra, FL
Posts: 3,857
My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmoney2k27 View Post
Its not even about telling them. There is one way out of my apartment complex into my parking garage so when I go to the gun range I take my 4 guns from my room to my car. I have to pass by the office when I do this and I always have them say something to me. It has nothing to do with conceal carrying any of my firearms.
Well they haven't evicted you yet...
__________________


"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:11 PM   #29
JTLaz
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Beaches are a plenty
Posts: 315
My Ride: Can now offroad
Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
Well they haven't evicted you yet...
Very true. Its just the principle. Why is it necessary to piss me off by saying something whenever I walk by them? I have since called the university PD and my attorney and both said I am fine as far as they understand from the wording of the lease. They did however both advise to give them a copy of my CWP just to shut them up.
JTLaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:15 PM   #30
davidwarren
Halfway to 2L
 
davidwarren's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: louisville, ky
Posts: 2,505
My Ride: 2010 335i
this thread is full of laughs for me.
__________________

You down with UCC? Ya you know me!
sowing the seeds of jiggery pokery
davidwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:30 PM   #31
JTLaz
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Beaches are a plenty
Posts: 315
My Ride: Can now offroad
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren View Post
this thread is full of laughs for me.
how so?
JTLaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:09 PM   #32
Reedo302
Registered User
 
Reedo302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,803
My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Basically what everybody has said.

Unless the apartment is owned by a government entity and is part of a school campus, no one may dictate gun ownership within your dwelling. As long as you are within state laws for gun ownership, you're fine.
__________________



Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer


Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:25 PM   #33
davidwarren
Halfway to 2L
 
davidwarren's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: louisville, ky
Posts: 2,505
My Ride: 2010 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmoney2k27 View Post
how so?
eh, I'm pretty easily amused.
__________________

You down with UCC? Ya you know me!
sowing the seeds of jiggery pokery
davidwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:45 PM   #34
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian
 
JonJon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: One of the most evil states ever to exist
Posts: 3,480
My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Basically what everybody has said.

Unless the apartment is owned by a government entity and is part of a school campus, no one may dictate gun ownership within your dwelling. As long as you are within state laws for gun ownership, you're fine.
I'll disagree. Since the apartment complex is a private lease, they basically can make up any terms of the lease they want except obviously anything to do with race, religion, etc.
__________________
Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:33 PM   #35
Rush4theYehO
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,395
My Ride: XI fts(now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
If you are implying that once you obtain a CCW, LTCF, etc you HAVE TO conceal, I just want to say that is not true (OC States). It's a big misconception by gun owners and police. Just trying to stop some misinformation.
No no no, not at all. I conceal just to avoid the whole mess of sheeple getting frightened.


On a total side note, if you're ever in ar15.com's General Discussion....there's an Epic thread by a guy named "Edged". He was open carrying in Walmart and got spotted by some people. The thread went on to have thousands of posts and hundreds of thousands of views. "Edged" was my fraternity brother and a very very close friend of mine. Check it out for teh lulz.
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:51 PM   #36
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian
 
JonJon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: One of the most evil states ever to exist
Posts: 3,480
My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush4theYehO View Post
No no no, not at all. I conceal just to avoid the whole mess of sheeple getting frightened.


On a total side note, if you're ever in ar15.com's General Discussion....there's an Epic thread by a guy named "Edged". He was open carrying in Walmart and got spotted by some people. The thread went on to have thousands of posts and hundreds of thousands of views. "Edged" was my fraternity brother and a very very close friend of mine. Check it out for teh lulz.
Yea, I'm a member of a couple opencarry/concealedcarry sites.
A lot of good stories about people getting harassed for doing stuff thats completely legal. Even if youre NOT a gun owner, youll learn a TON of good info on your legal rights and what cops can/cant do to you.

I've had my fair share of encounters and conversations with police. They eventually leave you alone after they realize that you know your rights and not to mention a lot more about the law than then do.
__________________
Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:38 PM   #37
Reedo302
Registered User
 
Reedo302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,803
My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
I'll disagree. Since the apartment complex is a private lease, they basically can make up any terms of the lease they want except obviously anything to do with race, religion, etc.
But they cannot legally dictate that you cannot possess firearms, if you may legally possess them. It's much like they cannot dictate what posters you put up on your walls (using a non-damaging hanging method). While the lease is considered a civil contract, the US Supreme Court has upheld several times the sanctity of a dwelling or residence as having a reasonable expectation of privacy, and within that dwelling, individual freedoms may not be restricted. This is why you cannot be arrested for disorderly conduct/drunk&disorderly/similar offenses if you're inside your own house. The 4th Amendment does not apply to individual or private entities, since it is a protection against illegal search and seizure from a government agent or entity. All other rights are applicable. The only exceptions have been held for school properties, federal/military billeting, and a few other limited exceptions.
Despite the dwelling being an apartment in an apartment building, it is still legally considered a "private residence or dwelling" with the same considerations afforded to any other dwelling, be it a house, trailer or cardboard box (seriously).

The bigger issue is that there are LOTS of landlords, leasing companies, property managers or owners that often times have illegal or meaningless language in their leases and contracts with residents. I just recently read a lease that said that the owner may lock out the lessor immediately upon any nonpayment. When the owner did that, we made him change the locks back, because under State law he must still go through legal eviction processes and give 30 days notice. Managers/owners often try to circumvent the law, and think that since they have a contract, they're covered. In reality, they're not. It's a lot more common than you'd think. Good "ambulance chaser" attorneys could really make a killing off of this if they really wanted to.
__________________



Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer


Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:01 AM   #38
JTLaz
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Beaches are a plenty
Posts: 315
My Ride: Can now offroad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302
The only exceptions have been held for school properties, federal/military billeting, and a few other limited exceptions.
This is the only thing I can think of now looking back on what they meant when they said I couldn't have it. I do live less than 1000 ft. from campus but it is my "dwelling." This is the Florida stature regarding firearms and schools and I'm assuming that the bottom exclusion entails my living situation, right?
Quote:
790.115 Possessing or discharging weapons or firearms at a school-sponsored event or on school property prohibited; penalties; exceptions.--

(1) A person who exhibits any sword, sword cane, firearm, electric weapon or device, destructive device, or other weapon as defined in s. 790.001(13), including a razor blade, box cutter, or common pocketknife, except as authorized in support of school-sanctioned activities, in the presence of one or more persons in a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner and not in lawful self-defense, at a school-sponsored event or on the grounds or facilities of any school, school bus, or school bus stop, or within 1,000 feet of the real property that comprises a public or private elementary school, middle school, or secondary school, during school hours or during the time of a sanctioned school activity, commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. This subsection does not apply to the exhibition of a firearm or weapon on private real property within 1,000 feet of a school by the owner of such property or by a person whose presence on such property has been authorized, licensed, or invited by the owner.
And just for a visual, this is my location to campus...


Quote:
Managers/owners often try to circumvent the law, and think that since they have a contract, they're covered. In reality, they're not. It's a lot more common than you'd think.
That's one of the first things they taught us in our business law class. Those fun little "you cant sue us because you signed this piece of paper" (exculpatory clause) bungee jumping/parachuting places use don't mean squat if anything happens.

Last edited by JTLaz; 11-04-2009 at 06:12 AM.
JTLaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:48 AM   #39
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian
 
JonJon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: One of the most evil states ever to exist
Posts: 3,480
My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
790.115 Possessing or discharging weapons or firearms at a school-sponsored event or on school property prohibited; penalties; exceptions.--

(1) A person who exhibits any sword, sword cane, firearm, electric weapon or device, destructive device, or other weapon as defined in s. 790.001(13), including a razor blade, box cutter, or common pocketknife, except as authorized in support of school-sanctioned activities, in the presence of one or more persons in a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner and not in lawful self-defense, at a school-sponsored event or on the grounds or facilities of any school, school bus, or school bus stop, or within 1,000 feet of the real property that comprises a public or private elementary school, middle school, or secondary school, during school hours or during the time of a sanctioned school activity, commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. This subsection does not apply to the exhibition of a firearm or weapon on private real property within 1,000 feet of a school by the owner of such property or by a person whose presence on such property has been authorized, licensed, or invited by the owner.
Just don't be rude or careless.... that's how I read it
__________________
Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:39 PM   #40
SLVR JDM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Work
Posts: 1,526
My Ride: reclining rear seats
You're fine. No federal or local laws are being broken. At best, you might be breaking the terms of your lease, depending how you read it. Keep it there and carry as you would on any other private property which posts "no firearms permitted" signs.
__________________


** Removed **
SLVR JDM is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is OFF





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use