E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-06-2009, 01:24 AM   #41
VMRWheels
Sponsor

My Ride: 1:25 Scale Enzo
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
charles, the car in the lower pic looks lowered, but do you know if the car in the upper pic has suspension mods?
The red car looks like its lowered slightly. The bottom car is lowered on D2 Racing coilovers.

-Charles@VMRWheels

Facebook! | Flickr! | Blog! | Instagram!
New for 2014: V702 Multispoke | V810 Flow Form
VMRWheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:25 PM   #42
jack s

My Ride: 2005 325i
Maybe this will help the O. P. a little: performance is affected by a lot of things, but generally lighter is better and wider gives more traction. A non-staggered setup will usually handle more neutrally, whereas a staggered setup will induce understeer. A little understeer is not a bad thing for a novice (it makes the car easier to "correct" when you take a corner too fast), but experienced drivers usually prefer a more neutral car for ultimate handling. The tire size (225, 235, 245, etc) refers to the width of the tire at its widest point in millimeters. The wheel rim should be a little narrower than that unless you're looking for a stretched appearance. Try to stay close to 25" in tire diameter.
jack s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:10 PM   #43
roastbeef

My Ride: 325ci
thanks a bunch. does a staggered setup induce understeer because these cars have about 50/50 weight distribution and the rear has more tire contact (traction) with the ground, which makes the front break loose before the rear? or is it the wider rear stance in general?
i guess what i'm asking is, would a car with wheel spacers in the rear behave like a car with a staggered setup with the same spacing?

professional grade '02 nissan frontier rock crawler, and a 325 with a few add-ons.
roastbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:28 PM   #44
m1356guy

My Ride: is worth $5k
think about it, more grip in the back (wider tire) and less grip in the front (skinnier tire) means more understeer because the front doesnt grip as much as the rear..visa versa im assuming means oversteer
Old 11-07-2009, 07:34 PM   #45
Penguin Koolaid
Banned

My Ride: Inline Six
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
thanks a bunch. does a staggered setup induce understeer because these cars have about 50/50 weight distribution and the rear has more tire contact (traction) with the ground, which makes the front break loose before the rear? or is it the wider rear stance in general?
i guess what i'm asking is, would a car with wheel spacers in the rear behave like a car with a staggered setup with the same spacing?
Increasing width decreases turning radius. Simple physics.
Penguin Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:46 PM   #46
roastbeef

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1356guy View Post
think about it, more grip in the back (wider tire) and less grip in the front (skinnier tire) means more understeer because the front doesnt grip as much as the rear..visa versa im assuming means oversteer
this is the logic i was using and it makes sense. Penguin Koolaid brought up another point, and i think they both become a factor.
thanks for the info.

professional grade '02 nissan frontier rock crawler, and a 325 with a few add-ons.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:49 PM   #47
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTKHarris View Post
V710s are not the way to go if you're looking for better handling/performance. Look for some lightweight 18s and some sticky tires.
exactly what I thought when I read the post.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:06 PM   #48
m1356guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
how does this relate to understeer from a staggered setup? with what u just said should create a better handling car with a staggered setup
Old 11-07-2009, 08:31 PM   #49
Penguin Koolaid
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1356guy View Post
how does this relate to understeer from a staggered setup? with what u just said should create a better handling car with a staggered setup
No. The wider tires in the rear provide greater resistance to perform the same turn as the fronts, thus pushing the car forward in hard turns.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:08 PM   #50
jack s

My Ride: 2005 325i
I don't know all the physics involved. But e46's are fairly neutral to begin with, so from a purely handling point of view, it's not necessary to use a staggered setup. Dinan, for example, recommends 245/30R19's on 9" rims all around. Contrast that with the old Porsche 911's and 930's, which were so tail-heavy that they oversteered horribly. Porsche had to start using a staggered setup to compensate. If I were looking strictly for performance, I would probably go with a very lightweight (under 20 lbs) 17 or 18 inch wheel in an 8.5 or 9 inch width and 40 to 45 mm offset, and put 245's all around. In my own case, however, I decided to compromise performance for looks and put on a staggered CSL setup, because I couldn't find any really light wheels that I liked that I could afford.
jack s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:41 PM   #51
Penguin Koolaid
Banned

Quote:
Ugh. I realized that statement was a bit ambiguous. By decrease I meant to worsen, not improve. So "increase" might make more sense in this case. It's like when you tell someone to turn down the air
Old 11-08-2009, 03:06 AM   #52
roastbeef

i understand what you are saying penguin, the tire on the inside of the turn is turning slower then the tire on the outside of the turn. if you think about it, it really seems like the effect of a small stagger with the same width tires as the front would be minimal. i suppose it would be magnified with a staggered setup with wider tires in the rear then in the front. either way, i suppose every little bit helps.
i'm a 325, so its no drag winner, so i got to have my fun in the corners.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:46 AM   #53
roastbeef

found this OEM wheel weight guide though some poking around on this site;
http://felgenkatalog.auto-treff.com/ (my rims are on page 6).
according to that guide, my stock 17's are 23.1 lbs. i don't think going up to 25 lbs is gong to be too terrible, but for the beauty, i think i can stand it.
from even more poking around... i think i'm just reinforcing my want for the looks of 19's.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:06 AM   #54
Riverbmr3

My Ride: slow 3
order V710's staggered 19's and call it a day...
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:22 AM   #55
E46mike-izzle

My Ride: 330ci
^ You won't regret.

E46mike-izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:26 PM   #56
m1356guy

Quote:
Ugh. I realized that statement was a bit ambiguous. By decrease I meant to worsen, not improve. So "increase" might make more sense in this case. It's like when you tell someone to turn down the air
fixed, bingo
Old 02-04-2010, 01:18 AM   #57
roastbeef

i got more questions guys... so i thought i would resurrect this thread.

i need new tires, and i'm not going to be happy until i get some v710's on my car.
looking at 19's trying to figure out if they are going to fit how i want them. i'm planning on front camber plates and 1" lowering springs. i haven't decided on a brand for the springs yet, but from what i have looked at, they all give about a 1" drop, which is what i'm looking for. also, i'm having trouble deciding on 8.5's or 9.5's for width.

so will camber plates + 1" lowering springs + 9.5's = rubbing?

i just don't want my junk to rub, and i want to keep a ride feel similar (or better) to that of the factory, just 1" lower.

i appreciate the help guys, its much different then throwing tires on the truck where anything less than 40" will fit.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:23 AM   #58
w0w

My Ride: 00 323i
with the conservative offsets of the v710s it will depend on what tires u run. on a 9.5 u can run a 245 and u probably wont rub, a 255 MIGHT require a slight roll
Old 02-04-2010, 01:34 AM   #59
roastbeef

sorry this is going to sound retarded, but i can't find anything by using the search about exactly what fender rolling is.
i'm guessing its as simple as removing the insulation inside of the fender for more clearance?

Old 02-04-2010, 07:41 PM   #60
roastbeef

bump for suggestions.