E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2009, 08:16 AM   #1
sooper

My Ride: '99 323i
Help: How do i do a smoke test for air leak?

I installed an AA SC and my car has been going on limp mode. I then discovered that the vacuum hoses were not placed right and air was leaking out. Last weekend i re worked the vacuum hoses. The car still goes on limp mode once in a while, particularly when i turn on the engine. I do a few on and off starting of the engine and then it goes back to normal. Im suspecting that i still have a leak somewhere and plan to do a smoke test next weekend, also change the idle control valve.

I got hand of a smoke machine which i borrowed. It is usually used before for discos to produce artificial fog. I plan to pump the smoke over the engine bay and look for leaks. Is this the right way of doing this test?

Another question, do i still have to check for codes and delete them? I plan to do so after the smoke test and ICV install. Thanks, help is most welcome.
sooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
jhsoccerodp

My Ride: 2001 330ci SC & 99M3
does it actually produce pressure from the machine? if so you have to make sure the smoke is safe for the engine. If so you can go in through the oil dipstick or through the supercharger outlet to intercooler or intake manifold if you dont have a IC
Old 11-04-2009, 08:28 AM   #3
sooper

yup the machine produces some pressure. The smoke is vapor from a liquid used for the machine. It is safe for human inhalation though and leaves no residue.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
sooper

Im not sure though if it is safe for the engine. Would i detect leaks if i smoke the vac lines from the outside?
Old 11-04-2009, 09:23 AM   #5
Rob1796

My Ride: 2006 350Z
I'd think you'd be better off doing the soapy water test. Hasn't failed me yet, and you don't need to worry about pumping anything into the engine bay.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:39 AM   #6
sooper

Quote:
I'd think you'd be better off doing the soapy water test. Hasn't failed me yet, and you don't need to worry about pumping anything into the engine bay
Good idea..
Old 11-04-2009, 10:06 AM   #7
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooper View Post
Would i detect leaks if i smoke the vac lines from the outside?
Not likely. If you have smoke blowing all around in the engine bay, what would you see to indicate a leak?

Typically the smoke is injected inside the engine under light pressure (ideally around the peak boost pressure your motor sees) and then you look to see where it escapes. You would also need to block off the intake at the MAF, etc to be able to pressurize the intake.

For soapy water, you still need to pressurize the intake but instead of putting smoke in the engine you spray soapy water on the outside of the various connections and hoses where leaks might occur and look for bubbles.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:40 PM   #8
Activ3

My Ride: gets DRIVEN.
Send a message via AIM to Activ3
You need to make a plug that will fit in to and seal your intake pipe. Then bore a hole in the plug and inject the smoke from there, it should travel through the blower and all charge piping right up to your TB. If there are any leaks, you'll see smoke start to appear from where the leak is. If the system is sealed, you should see no smoke at all.

Activ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:37 PM   #9
sooper

Quote:
Not likely. If you have smoke blowing all around in the engine bay, what would you see to indicate a leak?

Typically the smoke is injected inside the engine under light pressure (ideally around the peak boost pressure your motor sees) and then you look to see where it escapes. You would also need to block off the intake at the MAF, etc to be able to pressurize the intake.

For soapy water, you still need to pressurize the intake but instead of putting smoke in the engine you spray soapy water on the outside of the various connections and hoses where leaks might occur and look for bubbles
Quote:
You need to make a plug that will fit in to and seal your intake pipe. Then bore a hole in the plug and inject the smoke from there, it should travel through the blower and all charge piping right up to your TB. If there are any leaks, you'll see smoke start to appear from where the leak is. If the system is sealed, you should see no smoke at all.
Oh, so the smoke is from the inside of the system. Thanks for the replies!
Old 11-05-2009, 05:58 AM   #10
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
http://www.ehow.com/how_4969007_check-vacuum-leaks.html

Is this a good DIY?
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:44 AM   #11
sooper

great site