E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2009, 01:42 PM   #1
akb4

My Ride: is gone :(
Convertible= NO NO or YES YES??

Background:
So for the longest time I have never liked convertibles. I always thought they were chicks cars, and if a guy drove one, I would immediately say to myself "why didnt he get a coupe?" or "he should throw a hard top on that".

Yesterday:
I was blocked in by my roommate, and I had to go do some errands. I went next door to see if I could borrow one of their cars. Turns out the car that I borrowed was an '07 Audi A4 convertible. It was a really nice day out and the top was already down. While driving, I told myself, "damn, I dont think I would mind driving a drop top. there're not so bad from this point of view"

Discussion:
What is your take on convertibles?
What would you rather have? Covert or Coupe?
If you have a convertible.. why did you choose it?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
alwaysbored786

My Ride: Noble|M3|XJ
I would prefer a coupe mainly because I think it looks better, and most of the time its cold outside (winter, fall, etc.). However, in the summer, I would not mind it, i've ridden in one and it wasnt to bad when the weather was nice. But one thing that annoys me is when people put the top down when its like 50 degrees or lower outside! I personally think thats fairly chilly...

*NO F-BOMBS IN SIGS*
How to refinish rims
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldintake View Post
I am proposing opening up a Paypal fund for OP. The funds will directly be used in purchasing a farm so that OP can grow some balls.
alwaysbored786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:59 PM   #3
vPanya

My Ride: 01 325CI
dont be insecure about ur sexuality...lol... dude get a drop top as a second car ie if u got another car to drive.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:02 PM   #4
jcns

My Ride: California
driven convertibles and love them; however, I would own one as 2nd or 3rd car.
I need a trunk that can hold my toys, luggage, tools, etc. Most convertibles have very small trunks and you can't fit too much.
I also need a bike rack
Meanwhile, my motorcycle will have to do for open air fun.
jcns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:08 PM   #5
SIM\\\

My Ride: DINAN '03 330xi
Get a coupe/sedan bimmer and jeep wrangler as your "convertible"... IMO.

Although those new e92 hardtops are sexy... especially the M3..
Old 11-05-2009, 02:22 PM   #6
1LILDVL

My Ride: 2005 330 CI Vert
I had a 2004 325 or 328 coup, cant remember which, and it was great. The dealer at the time only had a 2005 M3 convertible, black on black. Not my color preference for about 45K. So I bought the coup for 18k at the time, I didnt keep it too long since after I paid it off I traded it in for my current 2005 330CIC. My kids are only 16 and 10, so the limited room in the back seat is OK for my 10 year old son. Its funny when I get 2 adults in the back very very cramp. But again this car is for me and my kids. Trunk space does suck, but I still fit allot and the convertible has a latch you can move up inside the trunk when the top is up. his gives you a little more space. Im in So Cal, so the weather is always great for the most part. I drive top down I would say like 75% of the time.

I had a 06 Landcruiser, that was the one I would use my bike rack on. I sold it earlier this year, so I have a bike rack for sale if anyones interested, haha. It holds 4 bikes. I am looking to get the bike rack that attaches to the trunk area instead. The convertible is great and like previously said you can always buy a hardtop and have the best of both worlds.

I might pick up a 4 door jeep soon, just to take on long trips where more room is needed, it would be driven with the top off too of course ;o). Dang I also have a 64 1/2 mustang that needs a tranny and engine its a hardtop by the way. Trying to get it going for my daughter to drive as a frist car.
1LILDVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:25 PM   #7
///M3Turk

My Ride: M6 ,X5, R6, M5, M3
Send a message via AIM to ///M3Turk Send a message via MSN to ///M3Turk
Covertible m3= rare,***** magnet, power, look, fun etc.
take one for a ride youll understand what im talking about when people look at you like youre driving a ferrari

Firat
///M3Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:28 PM   #8
Philbert

My Ride: 02M3|80 280ZX|87Yota
I got mine because it's fast and fun and in CA, I have plenty of opportunities to put the top down.

Downside: It's heavier, and not as stiff, and the top may some day stop working.

I don't regret it.

Dinan S. | Clears | DiCE | OEM Alarm Retrofit | ACS Rep. Peds | DDEs

My Valentine 1 Hardwire | Remote Display Gauge Cluster Mod

Considering selling 2002 M3 Convertible (~38,000 miles) this year (don't drive it enough...). If seriously interested, PM me. SF Bay area.
Philbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:30 PM   #9
tilolite

My Ride: 01 M3 Convertible
With convertibles, you get two cars for the price of one. Yes they weigh more than coupes and are less rigid, but those are moot points unless you use your car for SERIOUS track racing REGULARLY. You are way more likely to drop the top than to race. And sometimes you do both at once.

Verts are not chick-cars, more like chick magnets. Drop the top on a sunny day and everyone wants to ride to wherever.
tilolite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:39 PM   #10
burntass

My Ride: ///m3 vert, 05 MCS
verts are awesome. was looking for a coupe, ended up with a vert. there's nothing better than riding with the top down very happy with the choice.

2005 ///m3 cb/cinnamon vert: weekends
2005 Mini Cooper S/jet black hardtop: daily
1988 e30 325ix/gray hardtop: gone
2002 e46 tiag 325ci vert: gone
burntass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:44 PM   #11
j0nblayz

My Ride: 2003 M3 Cabrio
yup vert all the way. When i was shopping for an m3, i decided to get a e46 m3 cab, and just last week i decided to pick up a hardtop. Best of both worlds now!!
Old 11-05-2009, 02:45 PM   #12
Besfort

My Ride: 325
I love my vert not so much in the Chicago weather around dec-feb though .
Besfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:55 PM   #13
kwlaznkid

My Ride: 335i/M3/CLK500
Send a message via AIM to kwlaznkid Send a message via Yahoo to kwlaznkid
get what you want, when i was searching for my m3 the market was FLOODED with verts with prices that were almost 4-5K less than their coupe counterparts.. i was VERY VERY tempted to give in and get one and i personally sort of like verts (espcailly with the top down) but not a huge fan with the top up.. i decided to wait it out and get a coupe.. it's really what you want, it's your car so make sure you get what YOU want

Need angel eyes or any lighting stuff installed in OC? PM me, cheapest around, I promise
BMW E92 328I BMW E46 M3 Mercedes Benz CLK500
BMW E92 335I (SOLD)
Porsche 996 911 C2 (SOLD)
BMW E46 325Ci (TOTALED)
kwlaznkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:04 PM   #14
rabbitw00t

My Ride: 99 328i
i'd wait til 2010 convertible that has a hardtop. best of both worlds, coupe and convertible. soft top = barf
Old 11-05-2009, 03:04 PM   #15
iansanderson

My Ride: 2001 330CiC
Definitely a convertible. My car handles great and everybody wants to ride in it. I put the top down all the time. there's nothing quite like it. and there is nothing "chick" about a BMW convertible.. okay maybe the non-m Z3.. but that's it.

Cheat Sheet:

GT1/ISIS/MoDiC = Factory authorized diagnostic system used by BMW dealerships across the world.

NCS Expert = BMW Factory R&D programming tool available on the internet (not intended for the public and not available to the dealership network)

OEM = Genuine BMW part only available from a franchised BMW dealership.

DME = Engine Management Computer
iansanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:53 PM   #16
sprintman

My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
Hopefully about to move to a 330 CiC 6-speed from a 325 CI 5-speed, can't wait.
sprintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:00 PM   #17
mtnbound
Town Clown

My Ride: 330Ci Vert, 325iT
What is your take on convertibles? - Um...guess. I've had mine for several years and love it. Living in CA, I can drive with the top down for a huge part of the year, and enjoy rolling topless.
What would you rather have? Covert or Coupe? - Vert. See reasons below.
If you have a convertible.. why did you choose it? I don't track, I don't street race or try and get all faux-macho and launch at a red light. I've got a BMW that handles like a champ, despite the extra chassis weight. As mentioned before, cruising around with the top down is plain fun (just like you mentioned in the initial post).
mtnbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:01 PM   #18
i_ween

My Ride: '02 330Ci Vert
vert all the way. I love my car. First car I've ever loved. I live in waaay upstate NY and use it for a daily driver. Nay-sayers will be nay-sayers. Mostly, they are homophobic with latent homosexual urges.

check out my astrophotography:
www.gil-galad.com
i_ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:07 PM   #19
BreakfastBurrito

My Ride: stock
a proper sports car has a top, verts are for show more than go
BreakfastBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:18 PM   #20
VonGeiss

My Ride: 2002 m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3Turk View Post
Covertible m3= rare,***** magnet, power, look, fun etc.
take one for a ride youll understand what im talking about when people look at you like youre driving a ferrari
Word. I never liked convertibles and thought they we're kind of girly until my buddy got an M3 vert and let me tell you, I completely changed my mind, and want a drop top now, but I would have to get a M3, or at least a ZHP so it looks more aggressive.

2002 Carbon Black ///M3 - current
2002 Stahlgrau ///M3 - RIP
2001 325i - sold

Instagram: @VONGEISS
VonGeiss is offline   Reply With Quote