E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2009, 01:20 PM   #1
lilcartman

My Ride: bmw 325i sport
Angry Handbrake seized!!!

I have a 2001 325i sport which has been on the drive for about 7-8 month. Now i need it back on the road, i find the nearside hand brake wont relese.
I have put it in forward and reverse and tried to move it but it wont. I put it up on axle stands (offside is free btw) striped calipers down just to make sure that was'nt the cause, I can't see anything through the holes (to secure the wheel) that would relese it any help appreciated

Last edited by lilcartman; 11-08-2009 at 01:23 PM.
lilcartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
Mizar

My Ride: 325it ESS TX-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilcartman View Post
I have a 2001 325i sport which has been on the drive for about 7-8 month. Now i need it back on the road, i find the nearside hand brake wont relese.
I have put it in forward and reverse and tried to move it but it wont. I put it up on axle stands (offside is free btw) striped calipers down just to make sure that was'nt the cause, I can't see anything through the holes (to secure the wheel) that would relese it any help appreciated
I had the same issue. In my case the hand brake shoes were rusted to the inside of the drum/disc. Interestingly, and this confused the hell out of me initially, the wheel would rotate freely just a few degrees back and forth. So I could not believe the shoes had fused to the disc/drum. But it can happen. the shoes are mounted loosely and allow some play, even when solidly rusted to the disc. Once you get everything apart, you will understand.

I took the other side's disc off to see how things look. I was able to pull the disc away from the hub by a few mm, but felt some springy action against my pull. That was from the springs in the mounting screws of the shoes. I put a screwdriver through one of the holes in the brake disc so it sat against the shoe (compare with other side of car) and started hammering, while trying to pull the disc away from the car. A helper will make this a lot easier. I did it alone, though. Better yet, try to fix the screwdriver (put a heavy object behind it) and hammer on the disc from the inside. There won't be much room, but with patience, I was able to break the seize. Uhh, it looked ugly in there. Rust, rust, rust. Had the car sit for months after driving on heavily salted winter roads... I've got tons of pics, PM me if you like some.