E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Classifieds > For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy > Suspension and Braking

Suspension and Braking
Springs, shocks, struts, coilovers, camber plates, sway bars, strut bars, suspension bushings, control arms, brake pads, big brake kits, etc.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2009, 09:35 PM   #1
Levim9

My Ride: S54 325i
Rear Shock Braces

Anyone interested in a rear shock brace for a sedan?

-my friend has been making shock braces lateley for E30s
-he wants to make them for the E46s
-i just had my car over at his house today and we made a template for the mount points and measured the bar length needed

These are really solid shock braces. As soon as he gets one made up for me I'll try it out, take some pics, and let you guys know what I think of it. He should be making a bunch of these if theres interest. Heres a few pics of the ones he made for the E30s...

Let me know if you guys are interested. Thanks

Slicktop - S54 - 6MT - 3.62 LSD - Active Tuned - JVT Headers - TMS Tracksport Coils - Hotchkis M3 Swaybars
Levim9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
White325is

My Ride: M50 swapped 91 318is
Hey everyone, Im Mike. The guy Levi is talking about. I have been making these for a few weeks now and I recently sold 30 of them alone on some of the E30 forums. www.e30tech.com and www.r3vlimited.com to name a few.
The flanges are are water jet cut at a local machine shop in my town. They are made of 3/16 steel. The pipe I use is also steel, it is 1 inch round and 3/16 thick. Very strong and strudy and it should be able to take any abuse you toss at it.

For the E46 guys I would like to make the flanges wrap all the way around the shock mount for a more sturdy mount since it is a bigger car.
I would still use the same round stock pipe I used for the E30 braces. These bars will come powder coated in black only. This will all depend on how many people that I have interested.

As Levi said I made a template for his car today and I hope to have something made up this week for him to test out before I went any further into making them.
Im just tossing this out there as a feeler right now to see how many people whould actually be interested and what you guys would be looking to spend.
So if you have any questions please ask. I will be more than happy to answer anything that you shoot at me.

Thanks
Mike

Last edited by White325is; 11-25-2009 at 01:54 PM.
White325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:53 PM   #3
vapor325i

My Ride: 2003 325i sedan
how much do you charge for the e46 ones?
Old 11-25-2009, 01:55 PM   #4
White325is

They are going to be around 125 shipped. I just had plates cut so Im going to make one for Levi to try out first so he can report back to everyone with how it works and what not. I plan to have it all done up over the holiday break.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:04 PM   #5
vapor325i

that sounds good u should do 100
Old 11-25-2009, 02:12 PM   #6
White325is

I should but powder coating isnt cheap and it all depends on how many people I can get interested in it. I have to have a min. of 30 end tabs cut at once. That makes 15 bars total. So If I go and have all of this cut and no one buys Im assed out on all the money I spent to put these bars together.
Im trying to offer something here thats cheaper than what big name companys are selling them for. From what Levi said its about 250? But also offer a better quality bar then the ebay special of 50.00
Old 11-25-2009, 02:16 PM   #7
vapor325i

oh what if i dont want the powder coat on the bar, and i see where your coming from but i can probably get some people to buy if it actually works well....
Old 11-25-2009, 02:20 PM   #8
White325is

No powder will be alot cheaper. almost 25-30.00 cheaper per bar. Id like to sell them for 90-100 shipped raw. That would be great for myself and forum members.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:24 PM   #9
vapor325i

i mean if you do 90 ill probably just take it at that point
Old 11-25-2009, 02:28 PM   #10
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
i want a brace, but i have a custom encosure, id need it to snake around the fiberglass and stuff.
what would it take to build something like that. id need ot to go up form the brace and run across the top, just below the parcel shelf, and against the seat back. id have to measure how far up, since my shelf isnt stock either.

ask him if he would be up to something like that for me please.

to give you an idea, here is the trunk, BEFORE the wood frame reinforce FG is in...
http://yfrog.com/41pict0061ja5j

Last edited by Snik; 11-25-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:47 PM   #11
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
for 100 shipped for a raw piece i would def pic one up. thats almost too cheap to pass up.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:25 PM   #12
n2Bimmer

My Ride: Loves Corners
Intresting, Can you take a pic of the plate and bar connection/weld. Close up please.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:58 PM   #13
bullfrogs_M3

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
Does it have to straight across like that? Can you make one that is more of an upside down, kinda flattened "U"? The straight bar just messes up putting stuff in the trunk is all
Old 11-25-2009, 05:54 PM   #14
Levim9

My Ride: S54 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
i want a brace, but i have a custom encosure, id need it to snake around the fiberglass and stuff.
what would it take to build something like that. id need ot to go up form the brace and run across the top, just below the parcel shelf, and against the seat back. id have to measure how far up, since my shelf isnt stock either.

ask him if he would be up to something like that for me please.

to give you an idea, here is the trunk, BEFORE the wood frame reinforce FG is in...
http://yfrog.com/41pict0061ja5j
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfrogs_M3 View Post
Does it have to straight across like that? Can you make one that is more of an upside down, kinda flattened "U"? The straight bar just messes up putting stuff in the trunk is all
When Mike checks back he can answer you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrk10256 View Post
for 100 shipped for a raw piece i would def pic one up. thats almost too cheap to pass up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2Bimmer View Post
Intresting, Can you take a pic of the plate and bar connection/weld. Close up please.
When my bar is made up I'll post pics of the welds if Mike doesnt.

These are being made up from measurments from my car (pre-facelift sedan). Are the measurments the same for facelift sedans? I'm thinking they are the same. It would nice to be able to offer these to all sedan owners. Can anyone confirm this please.

Slicktop - S54 - 6MT - 3.62 LSD - Active Tuned - JVT Headers - TMS Tracksport Coils - Hotchkis M3 Swaybars
Levim9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:14 PM   #15
n2Bimmer

My Ride: Loves Corners
Yes they are all the same, Coupe should be same too, If im not wrong. Have a coupe in the area come out and measure it, Give him something back for his time.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:11 AM   #16
e36-2.0

My Ride: 330xi
can you really feel a difference with this? i noticed a slight difference with the front shock tower brace as soon as i rolled off my driveway. also what if i have GC rsm's?

'02 330xi
Konigsport/Ground Control/DPE/BMW Motorsport/Eurosport/Turner Motorsport/PowerFlex/RacingDynamics/Hotchkis/UUC/Beisan/Bimmerworld/Dinan/Conforti/RPI/GroupN/Technik/Dynavin

Alberta's BMW enthusiast forum.
-Projecttechnik.com
e36-2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:17 AM   #17
Snik
OEM ///Member

I know with all the parcel shelf cut out and replaced in my car I would benefit greatly from this. I can almost feel the back of my car twist going into a driveway with my car I swear.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:49 AM   #18
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Sponsor? This is against Forum Rules...Before selling Make Sure You are Sponsoring the Forum...

-TrippinBimmer
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:17 AM   #19
Snik
OEM ///Member

Why u trippin.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:39 AM   #20
silverfish

My Ride: 2004 325
ill take one raw for 90, 04 325 sedan