E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2009, 05:11 PM   #1
Fo Show

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Question Kicker Setup Idea: Noob Check

Ok so I am a complete noob when it comes to compatibility on amp, subs, etc.

I have HK without nav. and I wanted to keep the stock HU. I don't want anything too crazy but I want a good "bump in the trunk". I plan on wiring a Kicker 2 channel (link below) tapped before the stock amp. Then, a solo-baric L5 8" (link below) from this amp. Plan on using 4 gauge wire. Also, do I need to add an additional fuse? I haven't decided on the box yet, maybe homemade.

http://www.crutchfield.com/s_20608DX...tml?o=p&tp=115

http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_2...52.html?tp=111

I guess could someone double check my idea and make sure this would work and not destroy anything. I am open for any ideas really, but I'm pretty sold on the solo-baric though.
Fo Show is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:24 PM   #2
Orion329

My Ride: MKV GTI
a lot of people do infinite baffle setups with those solo-baric subs through the ski pass, you might want to look into building a box there or just mounting it to the frame of that opening--search, there are a lot of threads on it. if you just have it in the trunk, you'll almost definitely not have the bump you're looking for, since are cars have really good sound isolation in the cabin.

as far as the amp and sub combo go, i'd probably look into making sure that the amp you buy has the ability to take balanced inputs, i did a quick look at the crutchfield page and didn't see anything about it being able to handle them (this will save you from needing a line output converter). in either case, it's usually good to overpower subs by a bit to ensure that there's no clipping. some people go overboard in this department, but you'd probably be better off getting something in the range of 400 watts rms.

and yes, you will need a fuse running from the battery to the new sub.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:22 PM   #3
Fo Show

Ok, Thanks for your help. I'll look into it.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:02 PM   #4
Cypherz

My Ride: 330CI
cabin is sealed really well id like to tap into this and find out some ideas to open up the trunk if you not doing a ski pass box like now i have a 12 w3 and it bumps pretty good but i know its bumping way harder i just cant get the full effect cause that trunk is sealed!
Cypherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:11 PM   #5
thefrog1394

My Ride: e46- 1999 323i
I know all the new kicker ZX series mono amps accept balanced inputs. You would just need to tap into the pre-amp signals and put some RCA connectors on and plug them into the amp if it is a ZX. You should be getting a monoblock class D amp for a sub anyways.

Photo in Cleveland, Ohio
1999 323i - 210,000 miles and counting.
Rear Wheel Bearing Tool (SitTools B90) Rental, ~$60
thefrog1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:18 AM   #6
MojoJoe

My Ride: leaks fluids
I have the Kicker DX300.2 running a single 12" in bridged mode, and yes it does accept balanced differential signals. I have found that I get the most blanced sound with the gain a touch below 1/2 and the bass two ticks below middle on the HU. For 'bump in the trunk' you will obviously want to nudge this up a bit.
MojoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:23 PM   #7
Orion329

My Ride: MKV GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherz View Post
cabin is sealed really well id like to tap into this and find out some ideas to open up the trunk if you not doing a ski pass box like now i have a 12 w3 and it bumps pretty good but i know its bumping way harder i just cant get the full effect cause that trunk is sealed!
our trunks are freaking air-tight! i've done some reading on opening them up. some people ditch their rear deck speakers (which open up nice holes for bass to pass through), though most people start by popping out their ski-pass sheet metal. this is a pain for anyone who has an actual ski pass door though.

there have been a few members on the forums that take out chunks of the sheet metal in the rear deck as well, though that's a little extreme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrog1394 View Post
I know all the new kicker ZX series mono amps accept balanced inputs. You would just need to tap into the pre-amp signals and put some RCA connectors on and plug them into the amp if it is a ZX. You should be getting a monoblock class D amp for a sub anyways.
+1 on the class D suggestion....

don't skimp on your amps, get the good stuff!
Old 11-16-2009, 05:29 PM   #8
Fo Show

Quote:
Ok, thanks, do you know which wires I would need to tap into? Like which colors?
Old 11-16-2009, 06:00 PM   #9
thefrog1394

Photo in Cleveland, Ohio
Old 11-16-2009, 06:02 PM   #10
thefrog1394

You will want the "head output rear" wires.

EDIT: On second thought you might end up wanting the head output front wires if you tend to have the fader towards the front on the headunit a lot.

Photo in Cleveland, Ohio
Old 11-19-2009, 03:39 PM   #11
MojoJoe

My Ride: leaks fluids
Quote:
You will want the "head output rear" wires.

EDIT: On second thought you might end up wanting the head output front wires if you tend to have the fader towards the front on the headunit a lot.
I chose to go with the rear outputs as it meant I had a degree of control over the sub output using the fader without having a fiddle in the rear (oh my).
MojoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amp, diy, harmon-kardon, subs