E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Love Line

Love Line

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2009, 08:09 PM   #61
Schrock

My Ride: Floaties
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcarle21 View Post
Interesting. That does make sense. I have seen some fam docs around the rural areas in Alabama making as low as 80k. Double whammy-crap area and low pay.
Think about what 80k can buy in Alabama vs. Cali though. Food for thought...
Old 11-13-2009, 08:17 PM   #62
mattcarle21

My Ride: is Breakin My Wallet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrock View Post
Think about what 80k can buy in Alabama vs. Cali though. Food for thought...
If LA or Socal yea but northern cal not as much. The only major thing different is housing though. Think of this... would you want the same lifestyle i.e. house size, car etc. in rural Alabama or California? Pretty easy decision.

Autozone is for wannabee's, carefull cuz most of them want to be BMW owners - but can't.- Freeflow
mattcarle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:23 PM   #63
SHK&BAK3

My Ride: rustles jimmies
Quote:
ER docs are never on call and they usually get 3 day 12 hour shifts like nurses with 4 days off. They make hourly wages between 110-180ish an hour (200-300k). That's actually what I want to go into.
ER doctors are always on call. Thats why they are called emergency doctors.

LOL
Old 11-13-2009, 10:25 PM   #64
mattcarle21

My Ride: is Breakin My Wallet
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRANKDAT325ci View Post
ER doctors are always on call. Thats why they are called emergency doctors.

LOL
No they aren't genius. Look it up. They work shift work with the rest of the week off. Jeez people who think they know sh!t but have no clue

Autozone is for wannabee's, carefull cuz most of them want to be BMW owners - but can't.- Freeflow
mattcarle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:46 PM   #65
cjrivera

My Ride: 2008 e93 M3 Cab
If anyone is really interested in what goes on in the life of a medical interns/residents, I'd suggest reading "House of God" by Samuel Sherm. Very similar to what goes on in residency...
Old 11-14-2009, 12:09 AM   #66
Ynot

My Ride: 997
Quote:
No they aren't genius. Look it up. They work shift work with the rest of the week off. Jeez people who think they know sh!t but have no clue
Maybe that's how they roll in Alabama, but ER doctors are on call, unless that changed last year which was the last time I'd talked to him.
Ynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 12:24 AM   #67
wontonjon

My Ride: grocerymobile
as someone who has been through medical school, residency, and now doing military medicine - the glory days of going into medicine and becoming filthy rich are not as common as it was in the 80s and 90s....you go into medicine b/c you want to practice medicine for a living...not b/c you want to make tons of money.
-
that being said, i'd say that most physicians out there aren't going to starve - i'd say most (unless you end up doing solely community care work/primary care) will still make a salary in the 90+ percentile...there will always be the plastic surgeon, OB/GYN, neurosurgeons, radiologists that make 500k+ per year, but one has to realize that residency spots for those positions are few/far between - you end up competing for very few spots across the nation for residency slots...
-
and like some of the other posters have mentioned, you end up with a sizeable loan to pay off (remember what we all learned in college economics -about saving early...compounding interest and all that) - a doc that goes straight through school (college at 18, med school at 22, residency starting at age of 26) will graduate residency in their late 20's to early 30's - assuming they don't go into fellowship (subspecialty training). i know many of you guys in here are in your 20s and are already stashing away savings -whether it be through IRAs, stock market, 401k plans, etc... an average doc starts off at age 30 or so with 160-250k in debt on average (you account for college deferred loans and medical school loans as well as cost of living through all those years)....

so take all of that and plot out a savings graph comparing a 22 y/o college grad or even a 25 y/o with a master's degree who's been saving all along and compare that person to a doc with aforementioned loans - to make a long story short, it takes a pretty long time for the doc to "catch up" - i think my health economics professor in college plotted out the earning/saving potential of a school teacher compared to an avg. doctor - both had the same amount saved by the time they both turned 50...

okay, so i rambled on and on - hope that made some sense...for those interested in medicine - ya gotta go into it for the right reason (if your reason is money, that is a really bad idea - i bet all the medical students and residents who have posted in this thread can attest to that...long hours, crappy pay, TOTAL delayed gratification, seeing all your college buddies enjoying their new lives in the workfield while you continue to slave away..., etc)
wontonjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 12:41 AM   #68
Owtlaw333

My Ride: 2009 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
there is no way anyone could make that in california - i thought there were too many doctors here
If anything, nurses and doctors are still overpaid. Otherwise no one is hurting. (Well, those with work. It used to be there was a massive shortage with demand, but now there's a massive shortage with no funding )
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski3d View Post
It's probably better that way. If they saw each other all the time they would probably be divorced by now.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder... or so they say.
I can dig it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
I wont want to marry a Filipina woman.
I'll stick with the real Asians (sorry my Filipino friends )

productionof1.com
|||_Buy my photos?_|||
Owtlaw333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:10 PM   #69
Riverbmr3

My Ride: slow 3
my neighbor married a filipina nurse who makes $100+/yr , he didnt have to work, just drive son to school everyday and go shopping, is he lucky?
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:57 AM   #70
stapler12345

My Ride: Sakhir Orange M6
wow. how can i get ahold of a filipina nurse that makes that much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
I've never heard of a woman wanting more than she actually deserved. Never.
stapler12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:15 AM   #71
mindofarock

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoybmr3 View Post
my neighbor married a filipina nurse who makes $100+/yr , he didnt have to work, just drive son to school everyday and go shopping, is he lucky?
Do Want.