E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
Joeysauce

My Ride: E46 330ci
whistle noise under hood

I have a weird intermittent noise under my hood going on. The sound is directly related to the throtle, so if I rev to a higher RPM, the noise gets louder. It happens every now and then, and I can't make out the sound. It sounds like alternator radio noise if any of you guys know what that sounds like, but it is not that. I'm thinking some type of vacuum leak but then again why would that noise be intermittent, and it doesnt sound like air. It also sounds like a winning gear or something, but it's not really loud, but loud enough you can hear it outside and inside of the car even when the radio is on. It usually happens after longer drives, never at start up. Any idea guys?

2001 330CI
MODS: H&R sport springs, 19" staggard M6 wheels, halo's, Cosmo CAI, Rouge IKON exhaust, M3 rep front bumper, Hamann side skirts, ACS rear add-on, M3 rear deck spoiler, clear signals, 6000k xenon and matching fogs, Meyle HD FCA/FCB, 20% window tint, LED rear tail lights.

-Un-decided possible Mods-

Matt-black kidney grills.
Joeysauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:44 PM   #2
pf330ci

My Ride: Mini GP, '08 135i
Does it sound similar to a turbo spooling? lol That's the only thing I can think of that sounds similar. Mine does the same thing sometimes if so.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
Riverbmr3

My Ride: slow 3
tensioner?
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:20 PM   #4
k3nmasters

My Ride: Is A Unicorn!
Send a message via AIM to k3nmasters
It's your supercharger!

::05' S54 iR 6MT::

Ichishima-San, "Ferraris and Lamborghinis are like women that are great in bed, but not so great at cleaning the house or cooking."
k3nmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:06 PM   #5
meeceboy78

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
mine does the same thing, (never at cold start) sometime lasting a minute or two, somtimes 10 minutes, regardles how hard or easy i drive it. very inconsistant. but one thing is for sure, it happens EVERY time i hit the drive through at a fast food joint, almost like it knows... so annoying.

2003 330i / UUC springs / 18 " ASA AR1 staggared /ZHP exhaust
meeceboy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:34 PM   #6
Teddy7

My Ride: slides
mine does the same thing, sounds like I'm running a low boost supercharger.....except mine doesn't really go away. No but seriously I think it's just a vaccum leak or something and it doesn't make the car sound bad so I just stopped worrying about it.

edit: Btw my car does the noise your talking about too, that one, idk what it is, my car does it randomly and sparingly. It goes away within a min. after start up.

Last edited by Teddy7; 11-13-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Teddy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:48 PM   #7
Joeysauce

OMG, it does sound like a mini turbo ha. Gezz I wish it was. This is a mystery that I will have to live with since it's just so random. Like you guys said, it doesnt sound super bad, it's just that i know something has broke, or about to break.

2001 330CI
MODS: H&R sport springs, 19" staggard M6 wheels, halo's, Cosmo CAI, Rouge IKON exhaust, M3 rep front bumper, Hamann side skirts, ACS rear add-on, M3 rear deck spoiler, clear signals, 6000k xenon and matching fogs, Meyle HD FCA/FCB, 20% window tint, LED rear tail lights.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:26 PM   #8
Ballinboy1028

My Ride: 325ci
intake elbow mine does the same thing. do some research on here ull find that its the elbow
Ballinboy1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:33 AM   #9
prostaffe46

My Ride: 2000 E46 316i
i had this issue a week ago due to leaking hose (valve cover to crank case vent valve) and a busted crank case vent valve.
prostaffe46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:44 AM   #10
franz

My Ride: 03 330i
likely the intake elbow as esteemed noob Ballinboy points out...it's $16 & 45 minutes
Old 11-19-2009, 07:22 AM   #11
Ballinboy1020

My Ride: 325ci
really franz.... why am i a noob
Ballinboy1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:37 PM   #12
Joeysauce

Ok, now the noise has gotten much worse. It's not an air leak at all. It's starting to sound like an un-lubercated pulley or something. It's really loud at start up when its cold out. Now that its down in the 20's and 30's the noise has gotten much worse. If you've ever heard a train slam on it's brakes that is what it sounds like (less loud of course). It's got a metallic sound for sure now. It's coming from the front of the engine right in the middle. The sound is just as loud from the left as it is the right of center. I'm usually very good and finding out where sounds are coming from but this has got me baffled. It's just loud all over. But, it's still intermittent,it doesnt do it all the time. Usually after I give it a couple good revs I can get it to stop. Anyone have other thoughts?

2001 330CI

Old 12-25-2009, 09:39 PM   #13
budman
-not a mod-

My Ride: is your mom
Send a message via AIM to budman Send a message via Yahoo to budman
disa valve?
Old 12-25-2009, 09:48 PM   #14
ebimmer

My Ride: 2005 E46 4DR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeysauce View Post
I have a weird intermittent noise under my hood going on. The sound is directly related to the throtle, so if I rev to a higher RPM, the noise gets louder. It happens every now and then, and I can't make out the sound. It sounds like alternator radio noise if any of you guys know what that sounds like, but it is not that. I'm thinking some type of vacuum leak but then again why would that noise be intermittent, and it doesnt sound like air. It also sounds like a winning gear or something, but it's not really loud, but loud enough you can hear it outside and inside of the car even when the radio is on. It usually happens after longer drives, never at start up. Any idea guys?
I have an E46 2005 and it happens to my car as well, usually when accelerating between 3-4 gear at about 3000 rpms. I asked my dealerships mechanic about it. I don't quite recall exactly what he said it was, but it was related to the valve covers. He said that they are made out of plastic (rubber) and make noise as the air goes through them. It's nothing bad mechanically, nor will it get better or worse. If it doesn't bother you, don't worry about it. But definitely check with your mechanic.
ebimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 10:06 PM   #15
Hunt323

My Ride: 2000 323i
elbow
Old 12-26-2009, 06:02 AM   #16
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Why not take a hose and stick one end in your ear and the other around engine until you isolate noise.

I've had a couple of different sounds too so have been reading threads about it for a while...and am close to doing something about them...and oil drips/air leaks...

I've heard elbow, vacuum lines, CCV, and also often pulleys. Be careful with hose around pulleys/fan, but you should be able to narrow it down.

Also, depending on what it is, you might consider what I'm planning...taking care of other things in the neighborhood that will go bad eventually...there are many low cost/high labor parts and there's a great efficiency in doing the labor only once...so for me...oil filter housing, sensor o rings, CCV, vacuum lines, elbow, cleaning MAF, icv, throttle body, vanos oil pipe, PS reservoir line clamps, etc.

Good luck! Report back on what you end up doing.

Also, you might search more and you'll finding much whining about whining, hissing, jet engine/turbo sounds, etc.

Doug
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:46 AM   #17
techy330

My Ride: 01' 330ci
check your hoses for a vaccum leak, just like mentioned earlier usually the lower intake elbow by the back.
techy330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:09 AM   #18
Joeysauce

I really don't thinks it's any type of vaccum leak, I thought it was at first becuase the sound was low but now that it has gotten louder I think it's a metallic noise now. Please read my first post and the one I made last night so you can have a better idea what is going on now. Do pulley's go bad? I mean they have bearings so I am sure those can go out but I have never heard of them going bad on this forum. Usually when a bearing goes out it doesent have intermittent noise correct? Unless it hasnt fully failed yet, I don't know. I have a winter suv that I am driving now so it's not at the top of my priority list but I need to get this fixed so she will be ready to go once the weather is nice again. Plus, I don't want this to turn into a possible catastrophic failer. I may break down and take it to my Indy shop.

2001 330CI

Old 12-26-2009, 11:10 AM   #19
Joeysauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
disa valve?
WTF is a Disa Valve? I've never heard of that. You know a ton so I trust your input.

2001 330CI

Old 12-26-2009, 11:27 AM   #20
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
if it squeals at high rpm's its your belts...check them and replace them if needed...or they sell stuff called belt dressing and it makes the sound go away on my car when i use it.

///M
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote