E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2009, 04:14 PM   #1
TheRusski

My Ride: gone...
ALL coilover kits say " Not for street use "

SO whats next for Raceland haters? they dont like the colors?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:15 PM   #2
00bmw323

My Ride: 00 323/91 integra RS
man this raceland thing is getting way too much hate..lol..oh well im happy with mine

-Jorge
All low no go
00bmw323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:18 PM   #3
TheRusski

Who cares man, the only reason i got a set is to have my car lowered a bit more + replacing blowing shocks....if it does the job...hey why not
Old 11-13-2009, 04:22 PM   #4
Devious1
Invalid User

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Devious1
some people have been running this raceland setup for months now without any problem.... months. why the hate threads now? you're a few months a little too late.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:27 PM   #5
TheRusski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious1 View Post
some people have been running this raceland setup for months now without any problem.... months. why the hate threads now? you're a few months a little too late.
DDM didnt even get soo much hate...even tho ppl started to have early problems...I think the price thats whats getting to thm
Old 11-13-2009, 04:29 PM   #6
DADON4SHO

My Ride: SLOW E46
Bro no hate at all.
I just don't want fanatics getting hurt that is all.
I would love to pick up a set but it's more of a piece of mind for me
Old 11-13-2009, 06:26 PM   #7
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
I personally wouldn't put a $250 suspension on a car that I drive. You get what you pay for. As I've said in another thread, I really don't care what your decision is, just make sure I'm not next to you if your suspension fails and you go off the road. This kit makes perfect sense if your car is a show queen and I think that most of us agree that is the crowd that Raceland is built for. There are some BMW "purists" here that are all about the "go" and don't care about the "show". Some just care about the "show".

My concern is that someone is going show up to the track with these coilovers thinking that BMWs are pretty much track ready out of the box (they are using OEM parts) so its good to go. Then their suspension fails at 100+ MPH, goes off track and destroys their car. Worse yet, take out other cars and hurt someone else.

Who said ALL coilovers are not for street use? I don't remember seeing that on my Bilstein package?
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:01 PM   #8
///Orient3

My Ride: can't be defined
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I personally wouldn't put a $250 suspension on a car that I drive. You get what you pay for. As I've said in another thread, I really don't care what your decision is, just make sure I'm not next to you if your suspension fails and you go off the road. This kit makes perfect sense if your car is a show queen and I think that most of us agree that is the crowd that Raceland is built for. There are some BMW "purists" here that are all about the "go" and don't care about the "show". Some just care about the "show".

My concern is that someone is going show up to the track with these coilovers thinking that BMWs are pretty much track ready out of the box (they are using OEM parts) so its good to go. Then their suspension fails at 100+ MPH, goes off track and destroys their car. Worse yet, take out other cars and hurt someone else.

Who said ALL coilovers are not for street use? I don't remember seeing that on my Bilstein package?
Strictly speaking on the not for street use claim...I definitely didn't find that anywhere in the literature or box of my F2s.

Guys, this is ridiculous that this specific coilover is dominating the top half of this forum. You have obviously had success with them, and you should be very happy about that. You can't really ask for more from a product. Everybody else...just because you don't want it doesn't mean others don't. It is also safe to say that even if you are well intentioned, people don't like negative talk about a product they have invested in and had success with.

By the way, I spent significantly more on my coils than you guys did on the racelands...and I would do it again in a heartbeat. But, if your objectives are different, I am glad you found a product that satisfied them. Have fun with your coils.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:06 PM   #9
bigjae1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Orient3 View Post
Guys, this is ridiculous that this specific coilover is dominating the top half of this forum.
This happens every so often with replica parts. I remember when Euro Spec first came out with a $350 M3 bumper and then the eBay headers. I think this is the next big thing among the deal seekers.

I think the difference with this is that there are some safety concerns. If your M3 bumper falls of, oh well. If your headers leak, oh well. If your suspension fails, that could be serious.

Whether these concerns are vaild or not, we will only find out from the time and experience from those brave enough to take the plunge.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:21 AM   #10
Sean S

My Ride: 2001 325i
If you don't like them, don't spread hate and avoid them.

If you like them, use em and keep your opinion close to you.

For all we know, these Raceland coilovers could become the next eBay headers.

Time will tell if these stand up to abuse.
Sean S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:02 PM   #11
poynter

My Ride: Jetta
Many people on this forum have had OEM springs break and shocks and struts blow out and leak and none of them have lead to wrecking the car.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:02 PM   #12
shady3one3
Banned

My Ride: gets replaced soon.
Send a message via AIM to shady3one3
Nobody thinks a blown or poorly valved shock is going to cause a suspension failure. Manufacturing defects do. Stuff like this...

Its pretty simple. The safety of a shock depends on the quality of the materials and method used to build it. So you have to ask yourself, can a company really make four shocks and springs with high quality materials and build methods, advertise it, handle the back end parts of a business (processing), and still turn a profit when selling them for such a low price? And of course to answer that question you need some knowledge of how a shock works, what goes inside of it, and what factors depend on the materials with which it was made. How many of you know that stuff and even have the ability to answer the safety question? Probably not too many.
shady3one3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:32 PM   #13
mrx733

My Ride: E46, W201
Send a message via AIM to mrx733
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post

^i agree

hater chiming in for the 100th time, who ever has them good for you your sh!ts slammed. other setups go just as low. i dont get how you could use Chinese parts with no r&d on your over engineered german car. you take integrity of the car and throw it out the window with this garbage. and the little kid building your coils for a dollar a day probably hates his life. the reason people buy bmws is for the sporty drive they come with from factory weather your on bs non sport suspension or on a sport suspension.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:35 PM   #14
615bimmerboy

My Ride: 02 325i
im hopefully getting some for christmas
I will not show you photos of my nuts.
615bimmerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 03:28 PM   #15
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
My KW don't say that... Also, Please put a Big Sticker on ur Back Window "RaceLand Coilovers" So I can stay far away or pass u ASAP!

-TrippinBimmer
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:16 PM   #16
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Sigh.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:06 AM   #17
bigjae1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean S View Post
There have even been issues with the ebay headers i.e. bad welds.

I seriously considered the ebay headers but then I thought about either the hassle of either paying a shop to remove, weld, and reinstall or the aggravation of doing all of that yourself.

Luckily while internally debating this, I got a set of used Technik headers.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:09 AM   #18
bigjae1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean S View Post
If you don't like them, don't spread hate and avoid them.

If you like them, use em and keep your opinion close to you.

Time will tell if these stand up to abuse.
I kind of agree until you see all of the threads how this product did this, I'm suing them, blah, blah, blah.

These opinions and arguments are what make the forum useful. People can read posts from both sides of the fence and form their own opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poynter View Post
Many people on this forum have had OEM springs break and shocks and struts blow out and leak and none of them have lead to wrecking the car.
I haven't heard of anyone blowing out their shocks with a totally OEM suspension. I know about the broken coil spring issue and it doesn't cause any sudden and significant event.

That's what scares me.

Last edited by bigjae1976; 11-18-2009 at 02:12 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:17 AM   #19
poynter

My Ride: Jetta
Theres no mounts on these coils that even look like that. If you read the thread that pic was from they say that they hit a curb sideways doing 15+. The silver M3 that flipped was doing 70+ and driving crazy. I'd say he was probably trying to cover his ass so he blamed on the newly installed coils.

How about this KW coilover:

Granted, I would not put these on a daily driver but I don't see them being any different than any other <$1000 coilover kit. Probably some wholesale strut/shock with some threads and perches added.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:42 AM   #20
djnekkon

My Ride: MB3ci Regensburg Bav
No hating on the raceland, but my PSS9 says "Race inspired" Adjustable from confort to competition. I got this set up because of the dampering. The only coils that says not for street is "Race Land". I don't think that bashing on others brand/systems is a great idea. I hope raceland work.

This is assuming on what they say right? I always put every component to the test and don't put too much attention on what they claim (any brand)

Last edited by djnekkon; 11-18-2009 at 07:55 AM.
djnekkon is offline   Reply With Quote