E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-15-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
Savatage87

My Ride: 01 325i sport & prem
Question H&R or Hotchkis sways

I am about to do a complete overhaul on my cars suspension. I have already replaced my FCAs and FCABs with meyle. I am about to be installing OEM upper front shock mounts, RE RSMs, OEM M3 RTABs with RE shims, new OEM front swaybar endlinks.

the only parts i have not fully decided on are shocks, springs and swaybars.
I do know i dont want coilovers, I am about 95% sold on getting a set of Koni FSD & Eibach pro kit. Asfar as lowering goes i just want to eliminate the fender gap, i don't want to slam the car.

now to my main question. i am having a hard time deciding between the H&R and Hotchkis swaybars. which would compliment this setup the most?

Also should i replace the rubber spring pads? are they honestly needed?

and just FYI, mostly just spirited driving on back roads. Just want a lower stance, better handling but do not want to cut into comfort toomuch which iv heard the koni FSD and Eibachs do nicely. Sorry for the long post
Savatage87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:18 PM   #2
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
I mean that's kinda like asking BMW vs. Audi in a way. Hotchkis are thicker, however hollow with a honeycomb design.

I'd go with hotchkis, however with my shtty tires it doesn't matter if I went with non-sport OEM one's
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:07 PM   #3
ModBargains.com
Sponsor

My Ride: E46 323ci / E92 335i
The Hotchkis Sport Suspension Sway Bars are an excellent choice and will further improve the cornering of your 3-Series by greatly reducing the amount of body roll.

The Koni FSD + Eibach Pro kit coupled with the Hotchkis Sway bars will be a great combination. The Koni FSD adjusts dampening automatically so there is no need to manually adjust the shock absorber. These shocks replace OEM shocks and actively controls stiffness, and dramatically improves handling.

Please give me a call at 714-582-3330 ext 8006 if you have any questions!
BMW Wheels In Stock | BMW Intake Experts
Hours
: Mon - Fri 8:00am-6:00pm / Sat 8:00am - 5:00pm (PST)
Check out our Blog for updates and discounts!
ModBargains.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:27 PM   #4
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Lol. Do u guys have a letter on your keyboard for each product you have and just press the respective button for the product?
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:29 PM   #5
ThatGuy_JZ

My Ride: '02 Steel Blue 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to ThatGuy_JZ
LOL^^ I have to say Hotchkis, I'm running them and love it. My friend asked me how they compared to stock the other day, and I'll tell you exactly what I told him. It's like going from sleeping with a big girl that has no personality to being with a model that speaks 6 languages. That different lol. Hotchkis also offers adjustable front endlinks that are much thicker then stock and about $96 for the set from Lightning Force Performance.

Rear spring pads are fine, shouldn't need replacing unless they're falling apart.

Since you're doing an overhaul, I recommend getting front strut tower reinforcement plates. They're OEM parts, part of the rough road package. They're also pretty cheap, check Tischer for them. They're basically formed metal plates that go between your front strut and the bottom side of your shock tower to help prevent it from mushrooming if you ever happen to hit something.

ThatGuy_JZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:22 PM   #6
Savatage87

Thanks for the heads up on those reinforcement plates, there cheap too.

what about the front spring pads?

I already have the front endlinks, if i happen to bend them or when they wear out i will probably get the Hotchkis endlinks.

will the Eibach pros give me enough drop to take away the fender gap?
I currently have the sport suspension, i cant imagine what the fender gap would be like on the normal suspension.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:50 PM   #7
ThatGuy_JZ

No prob man. I didn't have front spring pads... at least I don't remember them, I really don't think we have them. I can't comment on the Eibach's, I've never seen anyone running them in person.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:39 AM   #8
Savatage87

what suspension are you running, car in your sig looks almost perfect
Old 11-17-2009, 04:46 PM   #9
mrx733

My Ride: E46, W201
Send a message via AIM to mrx733
ive got h&r sways i like them alot heard good things about hotchkis .... either one should suffice
Old 11-17-2009, 07:08 PM   #10
ThatGuy_JZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savatage87 View Post
what suspension are you running, car in your sig looks almost perfect
Thanks, I'm sitting on Bav Auto springs I picked up used. No complaints. They are a softer spring though from what I've read. They kinda rake the stance too

Old 11-18-2009, 11:24 AM   #11
Ron@modbargains
Sponsor

My Ride: s2k/ae86
Send a message via AIM to Ron@modbargains
Well the Hotchkis came out to the game a lot later. H&R was out there first, its a great product from them and very well proven too. Hotchkis is a bit different cause it uses a hallow tube design versus the solid bar type sway bar.

Whats better? is something that is always up for discussion. They are adjustable which is great. From the feedback and results I've seen and bar thickness, the Hotchkis gets the nod but always debatable.

We Specialize In: BMW Parts | BMW Exhaust | BMW Wheels | BMW Accessories
Ron Hay
| Ron@ModBargains.com | (714) 582-3330
Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00am-6:00pm (PST) Sat 8:00am-5:00PM
Ron@modbargains is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eibach, hotchkis, koni, meyle, sway bars