E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 66 votes, 4.88 average.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:40 PM   #181
GT172I

My Ride: 2004 330Ci, 335is
I ordered from lowcostaudio as well 10 days ago and it shipped 5 days ago, but USPS tracking still says they're waiting on Royal Mail to give it to them. Got my CK3000 yesterday and am going to put some of it in the car since I'm bored and will hopefully make the full install that much easier
Old 02-07-2010, 12:47 AM   #182
ZZen330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Delmarco -

1.)

what do you make of this quote form another forum regartding the Parrot/Connects2 not working with iPod adapors/DICE units:

"First, the combination with an iPod integration is not possible (especially if you have a DICE). As long as the DICE was plugged in the Parrot/Connects2 would not come up. As soon as the DICE was unplugged the others started working"

I know you're now using it with a USA Spec iPod adaptor and it didn't affect the bluetooth right?

Anyone using it with DICE?

I have a GROM USB/Aux adaptor so I hope that doesn't muss things up.

2.)
what about this? do you experience this cutting out of the radio or music? (maybe due to some bluetooth communication issues):

"noticed that the radio cuts out for 1/2 to 1 second sporadically, sounds like they are censoring the radio"
"I get the exact same little blips of silence from the radio. Guessing it's something to do with the Parrot kit. Let me know if you fix it! "

3.)
Lastly, this one about setting volume on the Parrot. Do you have this issue?:

"i get the one where you have to turn the volume up on it everytime i start the car
i also tried to set it on the parrot unit but it still turns down once i turn the car on and off "

Thanks!

Also, I know it doesn't work optimally with iPhone or iPhone 3G because they don't support voice dialing, but I plan on upgrading my 3G to either the 3GS or whatever comes next anyways.

Last edited by ZZen330; 02-07-2010 at 12:56 AM.
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:30 AM   #183
BakaN20

My Ride: 06 350z 03 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZen330 View Post
Delmarco -

1.)

what do you make of this quote form another forum regartding the Parrot/Connects2 not working with iPod adapors/DICE units:

"First, the combination with an iPod integration is not possible (especially if you have a DICE). As long as the DICE was plugged in the Parrot/Connects2 would not come up. As soon as the DICE was unplugged the others started working"

I know you're now using it with a USA Spec iPod adaptor and it didn't affect the bluetooth right?

Anyone using it with DICE?

I have a GROM USB/Aux adaptor so I hope that doesn't muss things up.
I want to know the exact same thing! I hope I just didn't waste $150

Home - Fcuk Iraq - Done playing Soldier
06 350z - Nismo Exhaust/Dynotune Nitrous Wet Shot/NANO Kit/Motordyne 5/16th Spaver/mrev2/Other stuff
03 325xi - Monokuro Boo neck rest and seat belt pads, floor mats. ~Stock~
BakaN20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:24 AM   #184
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaN20 View Post
I want to know the exact same thing! I hope I just didn't waste $150
From the point of view of the BMW Business CD53 Radio the CD Changer, the DICE, the USA-SPEC and to some extent the SIRIUS Receiver are all pretty much the same thing. This is because they all input data from outside the Radio in thru the Data Port #1.

The Bluetooth's ONLY relationship with the radio (and it is ONLY with the Radio and nothing else you have connected to the radio) is limited to turning OFF the radio and turning ON Phone MODE when your cellphone is ringing/or making a call/or activating voice command.

Phone MODE is a fancy way of saying your radio is temporarily kidnapped by the Bluetooth Bandit and the Bluetooth Bandit have put duct tape around your radio's mouth so your radio shuts up while the Bluetooth bandit tells it what to do.

When the Bluetooth Bandit is done, he releases your Radio and dissappears. Then your radio, which has a really short memory, has forgotten all about the Bandit and carries on as before.

That is pretty much it.

The Bluetooth is not IN the Radio per se, but rather it is OUTSIDE the Radio and only goes in when it needs to. And when it is in there everything (iPod, SIRIUS, CD, Am-FM) shuts up, steps aside and let the Bluetooth do it's thing.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 02-09-2010 at 01:01 PM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:21 AM   #185
ZZen330

Yeah I figured that re: dice, cdchanger, etc. It should work just fine wit those, NOt sure the issue that guy had.

Have you experienced the other 2 issues I mentioned? Particularly the music cutting out for a second sporadically? That would be VERY annoying.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:25 AM   #186
ZZen330

Oh a tip for those looking for the Parrot CK3000 EVO....look for the Eclipse BT-E500 or Eclipse BT-E600. They are the same thing re-branded and often can be found much cheaper (though I get raped on shipping charges to the Great White North!)

I've ordered my Parrot (bt-e600) and Connects2 CTPPR007. This will be interesting!
Old 02-07-2010, 03:33 PM   #187
dudelove

My Ride: Hybrid E46
I have a loud Pop & Click sound from the speakers whenever the Parrot & Connects2 come on/off for anything as described by jvr826 in sycE46's thread. Funny thing is, he has a newer Nav system... but no H/K like me. Anyone else without H/K seen this?

For reference, I am using:
-CK3000 Evo w/ Connects2
-Stock sound. Non H/K. Blaupunkt HU
-USA-Spec (works fine)
-Mic in OEM position

Issues I have:
-Pop & Click sound when CK3000 & Connects2 activate for anything.
-The speakers will not be driven if the HU is OFF. The HU must be ON for sound (Ring, Call, Pairing beep, etc). However, the Mic still works. It's either the Blaupunkt HU or stock Amp issue.
-The road noise is horrible for the other party. I will be trying the resistor fix. But recommendations range from 10-10,000 Ohms! Any suggestions?

Tip: With the CK3000, Connects2, and USA-Spec behind the glove box... it gets pretty tight back there. The longer Blue Parrot box especially might get in the way of reinstalling the glove box. Do not push the glove box in if doesn't pop in relatively easy!. Forcing it will put pressure on the fragile connectors and will damage them.
dudelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:57 PM   #188
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudelove View Post
I have the exact same Pop & Click sound from the speakers whenever the Parrot comes on/off for anything. It's pretty annoying because it's loud. jvr826, are you any closer to a solution?

For reference, I am using:
-CK3000 Evo w/ Connects2
-Stock sound. Non H/K. Blaupunkt HU
-USA-Spec (works fine)
-Mic in OEM position

Issues I have:
-Pop & Click sound when CK3000 & Connects2 activate for anything.
-The speakers will not be driven if the HU is OFF. The HU must be ON for sound (Ring, Call, Pairing beep, etc). However, the Mic still works (It's either the Blaupunkt HU or stock Amp issue).
-The road noise is horrible for the other party. I will be trying the resistor fix.

Tip: With the CK3000, Connects2, and USA-Spec behind the glove box... it gets pretty tight back there. The longer Blue Parrot box especially might get in the way of reinstalling the glove box. Do not push the glove box in if doesn't pop in relatively easy!. Forcing it will put pressure on the fragile connectors and will damage them.
I know for a fact that the Blaupunk CD53 HU will NOT operate the speakers in the car when off (I first installed the kit on my car when it had the Blaupunk radio in it). After I installed my 02/2006 build date Alpine CD53 HU I realized that the BT kit will work regardless of the radio being on/off.

So this, and I'm sure I stated already somewhere in one of these threads, is not a flaw in the ck3000 kit but the way the BMW Cd53 Radios have evolved over the years as production went from Blaupunkt to Alpine.

The volume on the ck3000 is PRIMARILY adjusted on the ck3000 controller. I previously made the mistake of writting the controller off as being irrelavant after the installation but to the contary it is VERY VERY VERY relevant to the performace of the kit in your car.

My revalation came to me when I returned to take the glove box down as I was installing my iPod Data cables last weekend and I noticed that behind the glovebox the little controller was blinking and flashing and all lit up with the bluetooth being on. Even the buttons were all still active and sensitive to the touch.
That said I returned to look at the ck3000 booklet to see what the buttons originally did beside Answer/Hang Up and Volume/Power dial.

To my surprise the buttons also works to adjust the settings of the Bluetooth (such as language, etc...)

As a result of this I must advise that anyone having issues or wierdness with the kit please remove your glovebox and check that the controller is not getting squashed and/or buttons being pushed. Also make sure the PRIMARY volume is set at a moderate level and not to HIGH or LOW.

This may also answer why your speakers pop periodically. If the volume is set super high or the controller and set low in the car then you get all sorts of feedback and pops.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:16 PM   #189
dudelove

My Ride: Hybrid E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
I know for a fact that the Blaupunk CD53 HU will NOT operate the speakers in the car when off (I first installed the kit on my car when it had the Blaupunk radio in it). After I installed my 02/2006 build date Alpine CD53 HU I realized that the BT kit will work regardless of the radio being on/off.
Yeah, I figured it was an older Blaupunkt HU limitation having no sound when OFF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco
The volume on the ck3000 is PRIMARILY adjusted on the ck3000 controller. I previously made the mistake of writting the controller off as being irrelavant after the installation but to the contary it is VERY VERY VERY relevant to the performace of the kit in your car.
As a result of this I must advise that anyone having issues or wierdness with the kit please remove your glovebox and check that the controller is not getting squashed and/or buttons being pushed. Also make sure the PRIMARY volume is set at a moderate level and not to HIGH or LOW.
The glovebox is still open. I want easy access to the controller, so I'll eventually have the controller in my glovebox contained in a small clear hard case (to prevent the buttons from accidentally pressing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco
This may also answer why your speakers pop periodically. If the volume is set super high or the controller and set low in the car then you get all sorts of feedback and pops.
The "pop" is there regardless of setting the volume on the controller or radio. I've seen your videos, and you have no hint of this problem. jvr826 also has the same problem but has a newer Nav unit (but a non-HK system?). He suspects it has to do with the amp and line volume levels...
dudelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:30 PM   #190
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Phone MODE is a fancy way of saying your radio is temporarily kidnapped by the Bluetooth Bandit and the Bluetooth Bandit have put duct tape around your radio's mouth so your radio shuts up while the Bluetooth bandit tells it what to do.

When the Bluetooth Bandit is done, he releases your Radio and dissappears. Then your radio, which has a really short memory, has forgotten all about the Bandit and carries on as before.
WOW ... you should be a writter for "??? for dummies". You broke that down perfectly !!!

I also have not had poping issue or had any issues of the music briefly cutting out.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:53 PM   #191
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.325i View Post
WOW ... you should be a writter for "??? for dummies". You broke that down perfectly !!!

I also have not had poping issue or had any issues of the music briefly cutting out.
lol. thanks.
My undergrad degree was a B.A in Creative Writing. A degree that I wished I was more successful with using, but it still comes in handy in everyday situations more so that all the Quantitative Hydrogeology courses I took in grad school.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:09 PM   #192
immigrant

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330CI
Send a message via MSN to immigrant
Hey my friend, how about a pairing button like the oem one? can you replace the parrot pairing button with the oem one and place it where the rest of the buttons are?
immigrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:09 PM   #193
herbie

My Ride: is bone stock
Quick question, what is the voice of the parrot when it talks back to you to confirm a call? Is it a female voice?
herbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:04 PM   #194
ZZen330

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbie View Post
Quick question, what is the voice of the parrot when it talks back to you to confirm a call? Is it a female voice?
I think it uses the voice directly from your mobile phone. So whatever voice your phones' voice control uses is what you'll hear over the car speakers.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:09 PM   #195
ZZen330

Bump for delmarco on this question. from earlier...do have you experienced any brief random cutouts (0.5-1.0 seconds) or hiccups while listening to any music source after adding the parrot system (paired/unpaired)?

A couple people have this issue though most seem to not.

Thanks.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:59 PM   #196
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by immigrant View Post
Hey my friend, how about a pairing button like the oem one? can you replace the parrot pairing button with the oem one and place it where the rest of the buttons are?
don't understand. There is no "pairing button" on the kit. Your phone has the "pairing button". Once bluetooth is on in the car it is ALWAYS in pair mode (when not in use and idle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbie View Post
both. The ck3000 has it's own voice as well. "Redial" is one of the commands of the ck3000 and actually it has an entire vocabulary as well that is readily available once you program it. I actually started reading the manual last weekend and only now do I realize that the ck3000 is a complex and well equipped kit. The ck3000 also has it's own "magic words" that you can program for those folks whose phones do not have voice command.

Quote:
I think it uses the voice directly from your mobile phone. So whatever voice your phones' voice control uses is what you'll hear over the car speakers.
The ck3000 also has a vocabulary as well as ring tones. when you hear "redial" in my video that is the ck3000. It also has "magic words" which you can program and use. I just realized this because I only just read the ck3000 manual last weekend.

Quote:
Bump for delmarco on this question. from earlier...do have you experienced any brief random cutouts (0.5-1.0 seconds) or hiccups while listening to any music source after adding the parrot system (paired/unpaired)?

A couple people have this issue though most seem to not.

Thanks.
I have not had any problems but I did hear a few folks with the older gen 1 cassette Nav units having slight issues.

Like I said to them: check to see that the ck3000 controller's buttons are NOT getting squished and pushed in by wiring and stuff behind the glove box or where ever you are storing it. Those buttons are all still active even though you are using the steering wheel buttons.

Next unplug your car's battery and unplug and recheck all your connections.

Last edited by delmarco; 02-10-2010 at 12:09 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:14 AM   #197
ZZen330

Thanks for the replies delmarco.

Are you planning on exploring all the ck3000's 'magic words' functionality? Perhaps another update vid in the works?? ;-) Oh I hear you on just getting around to reading the user manual..I mean who needs those anyways right :-D haha
Old 02-10-2010, 07:06 AM   #198
JLondon

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Quote:
Thanks for the replies delmarco.

Are you planning on exploring all the ck3000's 'magic words' functionality? Perhaps another update vid in the works?? ;-) Oh I hear you on just getting around to reading the user manual..I mean who needs those anyways right :-D haha
I was playing with the CK3000 the other day and it appears that the "Magic Words" only works if your phone's "voice command" is turned off. My phone is a Sprint Touch Pro (Windows Mobile 6.1) with Voice Command.
JLondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:02 AM   #199
chris1098

My Ride: 2003 318ci
Wow!! This looks easy to fit, no doubt I will be eating my own words when I will encounter some sort of error when fitting it..!!

Anyway!!

Just got both the CK3000 and the CTPPAR007, somebody who posted earlier was right though!! Since this DIY was posted boyyyy have the prices kicked it a nickel!! It cost me like 125.00 ($160.00ish....) for both items!!

I will report any issues with the Euro spec, I cant see any issues though..

One quick question before I start, If I dont disconnect the battery will any error codes come up on the OBC when the radio is out?

Where does the unit get its power from? As all the wires are connected in to the blue box, on the blue plug there is a 2x2 black square plug about an inch down the wire, does this connect in to anything?

Chris
chris1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:24 PM   #200
sycE46

My Ride: 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1098 View Post
Wow!! This looks easy to fit, no doubt I will be eating my own words when I will encounter some sort of error when fitting it..!!

Anyway!!

Just got both the CK3000 and the CTPPAR007, somebody who posted earlier was right though!! Since this DIY was posted boyyyy have the prices kicked it a nickel!! It cost me like 125.00 ($160.00ish....) for both items!!

I will report any issues with the Euro spec, I cant see any issues though..

One quick question before I start, If I dont disconnect the battery will any error codes come up on the OBC when the radio is out?

Where does the unit get its power from? As all the wires are connected in to the blue box, on the blue plug there is a 2x2 black square plug about an inch down the wire, does this connect in to anything?

Chris
Power is tapped from the wires that go to the BMW radio. The Connects2 wiring harness takes care of all of that.

The 2x2 black plug is for the Parrot control Keypad. it must be plugged in at all times... even though you'll never need to touch it.

sycE46 is offline   Reply With Quote