E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 61 votes, 4.87 average.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:17 AM   #261
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby1028 View Post
Is anyone putting the Parrot Controller/Keypad in the glove box for easy access?
That is not an option with the audicom SW101C ... it hooks up to the parrot using that 4pin connection, so I can not have both connected.

I can get into the setup menus and reset the parrot using different key sequences of the steering wheel controls.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:43 AM   #262
xi_ter

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Is anyone putting the Parrot Controller/Keypad in the glove box for easy access?
I attached the controller on the passenger side wall just under the glove box. Accessible, but out of sight and not easy to bump. The middle button is a switch and volume control so putting things into the glove box could shut it off.
The PDF version of the CK3000 manual is here: http://www.parrot.com/usa/support/us...k3000evolution Use British flag icon.

Last edited by xi_ter; 03-17-2010 at 11:30 PM. Reason: add link to PDF
xi_ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 01:18 PM   #263
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by xi_ter View Post
I attached the controller on the passenger side wall just under the glove box. Accessible, but out of sight and not easy to bump. The middle button is a switch and volume control so putting things into the glove box could shut it off.
Yeah that middle button also serves as the settings control and set up control for the magic words. The ck3000 turned out to be a very dynamic and simple kit in my time with it.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:29 PM   #264
burnhamd

My Ride: 325i 2002
I've heard some issues with the parrot mic. Any idea whether it would work with the oem mic? How does the quality of the call compare to the oem kit? Here is the part number 84316938762 for the new mic for e46. I do not want the mic sticking out of the roof.
Also is there anyway we can get a group buy for the connect 2 adapter as I see there is a lot of interest in this diy.
burnhamd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:26 AM   #265
Arby1028

My Ride: 2002 330i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLondon View Post
I did...see my post earlier in this thread... http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...&postcount=167
Quote:
Originally Posted by xi_ter View Post
Both good options...I think I'll go with the double sided adhesive in the glove box. Still waiting for my Connect2 to arrive from the UK. Thanks sycE46 for the link to the other DIY on this...I think I will take apart my A Pillar and run the wires in the existing wire harness.

Last edited by Arby1028; 03-14-2010 at 06:28 AM.
Arby1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:23 AM   #266
ZZen330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Quote:
Sorry to threadjack. On the GROM USB adaptor...did you go with the trunk mount?
Yeah I went with the trunk connector. Nice easy install if you want to leave the USB stick in the trunk. You could be done in 15 minutes. I decided to run wiring for USB and AUX to the front though.

Look here for lots of info: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=674283

Back to Parrot - if you saw delmarcos pics you can see that you don't have to take apart the A pillar. You can just tuck them along the edge.

To all - as for mic placement - is it possible to run the mic up to the driver side into the space where the grab handle would go? Pop the little cover off and run the mic behind the headliner into that space, then put a little cloth grill or someting over it? It would be a closer mic position but still be hidden. Just a thought.
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:19 PM   #267
burnhamd

Anyone know if it is possible to wire this thing up to the trunk by splicing the wires and using the prewired bmw bluetooth? It seems that the connector is just a passthrough to the radio and has a few extra pins that are probably replicating those located on oem prewire in the trunk... I have also seen a few other solutions that plug into the trunk so I know its possible. It would be much nicer to just remove the trunk lining and plug this in. I do realize that we would either have to use an oem microphone or make a connector to put the one in the kit in its place. Anyone have wiring diagrams/ pinouts for the connectors??

Last edited by burnhamd; 03-15-2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:46 PM   #268
burnhamd

found pinouts

Code:
Pin 1 RJ45-Pin 2
Pin 2 Not Used
Pin 3 Ground
Pin 4 Unswitched 12V (+)
Pin 5 Ignition 12V (+)
Pin 6 RJ45-Pin 1
Pin 7 Not Used
Pin 8 RJ45-Pin 7
Pin 9 Not Used
Pin 10 Radio Mute (Provide Ground to Mute)
Pin 11 RJ45-Pin 6
Pin 12 RJ45-Pin 5
Pin 13 Not Used
Pin 14 Microphone (+)
Pin 15 Microphone (-)
Pin 16 Ground
Pin 17 Unswitched 12V (+)
Pin 18 RJ45-Pin 4
Pin 19 Speaker (-)
Pin 20 Ground for Microphone
Pin 21 Not Used
Pin 22 Not Used
Pin 23 RJ45 Pin 8
Pin 24 RJ45 Pin 3
Pin 25 Speaker (+)
The pins that would be needed are 19&25 speaker, 20,14,15, microphone, and the RJ45 pins which i believe to be ibus(can someone verify)?

Also it might be possible to use the prewired antenna if the one in the parrot kit does not provide adequate reception from the trunk.

Why do this you ask? I just want it to be more like oem... plus im handy with a soldering iron and don't a want a jungle of cords in my dash.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:11 PM   #269
burnhamd

Ok so I've done more reading and found that It is possible to bypass the parrot volume control and instead of inputing the audio signal into the left and right speakers, as the connects2, connect it in the trunk and allow it to be put into the tel+- speaker inputs (as they were meant for) also the microphone could be replaced with the oem connection in the trunk and allow for no running of cords to the front of the car. I believe that these modifications will make it better integrated.

Basically the connects2 harness needs to be modified to plug into the trunk connector for the phone and then plug and play. Im ordering the connects2 interface today so that I can test this.

Really the only thing the connects 2 harness will do in my setup is provide is send and receive ibus commands.

Can anyone comment on wether turning the volume knob on the radio will adjust the volume of the bluetooth sound with Del Marco's install? This may be critical in getting this to work
Old 03-16-2010, 11:40 PM   #270
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnhamd View Post
Ok so I've done more reading and found that It is possible to bypass the parrot volume control and instead of inputing the audio signal into the left and right speakers, as the connects2, connect it in the trunk and allow it to be put into the tel+- speaker inputs (as they were meant for) also the microphone could be replaced with the oem connection in the trunk and allow for no running of cords to the front of the car. I believe that these modifications will make it better integrated.

Basically the connects2 harness needs to be modified to plug into the trunk connector for the phone and then plug and play. Im ordering the connects2 interface today so that I can test this.

Really the only thing the connects 2 harness will do in my setup is provide is send and receive ibus commands.

Can anyone comment on wether turning the volume knob on the radio will adjust the volume of the bluetooth sound with Del Marco's install? This may be critical in getting this to work
Nope. Volume from the steering wheel + & - are interpreted & passed to the phone to increase its volume.

The parrot volume can also be preset with via the parrot menu and the HU volume does not adjust phone volume.

The way you are suggesting - pumping the phone L & R from the parrot into the phone inputs of the HU sounds very nice. It would remove the external relays on the speaker lines & make volume easier to control.

The parrot does do the softswitch nicely with no popping. I wonder how good the HU does this. I would be willing to rewire what I have if this is the way the OE is set up.

I haven't replied to your posts until now because I couldn't add anything concrete AND I do not have the connect2 - I have the quickconnectproducts with teh audicom SW101-C steeringwheel box.

btw - i am an electronics design engineer. You must have a similiar background.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:00 AM   #271
yehm3

My Ride: 01 LSB M3
I've got an 01 E46 M3 and just ordered the CTPPAR007, Eclipse BT-E600 and a HomeLink. Can't wait to install!
yehm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:47 PM   #272
burnhamd

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.325i View Post
Nope. Volume from the steering wheel + & - are interpreted & passed to the phone to increase its volume.

The parrot volume can also be preset with via the parrot menu and the HU volume does not adjust phone volume.

The way you are suggesting - pumping the phone L & R from the parrot into the phone inputs of the HU sounds very nice. It would remove the external relays on the speaker lines & make volume easier to control.

The parrot does do the softswitch nicely with no popping. I wonder how good the HU does this. I would be willing to rewire what I have if this is the way the OE is set up.

I haven't replied to your posts until now because I couldn't add anything concrete AND I do not have the connect2 - I have the quickconnectproducts with teh audicom SW101-C steeringwheel box.

btw - i am an electronics design engineer. You must have a similiar background.
I am studying electrical engineering at georgia tech.

My parts are on the way and I will have time next week to try to adapt the wiring. My plan is to directly connect some of the parrot cables to the plug in the trunk and bypass all the unnecessary stuff (speakers, mic). One of the connects 2 cables will probably not even be used and only about 4 pins from the other connects2 connector will be needed. IBUS, TEL ON, GROUND, maybe others I haven't completely written a pin conversion yet. I also have pinouts for the 54 trunk connector(i believe this is the ulf connector), the 25 pin trunk connector( apparently used some later models),
and the 17 pin connector for the radio. Now I just need to find the female versions of this plug so that I don't have to splice directly into the oem wiring harness.

Last edited by burnhamd; 03-17-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:14 PM   #273
Cideways

My Ride: 2001 325i
Ordered the Connects2 CTPPAR007 on Feb 22. Received order acknowledgment on March 3. Payment transfer acknowledgment on March 8. Still waiting on delivery. Parrot came in within a couple of days. Looking forward to the install. Be prepared for the wait on the Connects2.

BTW - I have read through this entire thread a couple times. If you are starting here, read OP first. Delmarco nailed it first time. There are other good suggestions throughout.
Cideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:51 PM   #274
Werk_88

My Ride: 2004 325i
I'm waiting on the Connects2 as well. Cideways, you may want to email them to follow-up. I followed up earlier this week and got response today that they are just now shipping out, ordered same day as you.

Went ahead and installed the Parrot mic while waiting. Great DIY and excellent instructions!
Werk_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:28 PM   #275
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by yehm3 View Post
I've got an 01 E46 M3 and just ordered the CTPPAR007, Eclipse BT-E600 and a HomeLink. Can't wait to install!
Dang that is like 2 of my favorite DIYs right thurrr.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:38 PM   #276
JLondon

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
dang that is like 2 of my favorite diys right thurrr.
+1
JLondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:47 AM   #277
delmarco

I moved my oem location for the mic grill closer to the driver side where my head is, and more aft in the cabin where the other passengers are.
I didn't have a problem with the mic before, but I'm told that my voice comes across more clearer and louder now.

I tried switching it over to the sunroof switch hole but I quickly realized that the sunroof switch is bigger and the switch hole is bigger than the mic grill and mic grill hole. So the mic grill was too small for the sunroof switch's hole and the sunroof switch didn't even fit into the mic grill's hole. So I decided to create a new cut out hole for the mic grill that was in a new position. I also added a BMW Bluetooth Assist/SOS switch at the same time, which incidentally our cars are prewired for and just filed down the original mic grill hole so that the sunroof switch could fit in there.

The BMW Bluetooth Assist button can be bought off eBay for about $10 to $25 (DO NOT buy the ones Murad Motors sells as he overprices his switches to $50 and they don't come prewired). Make sure you get the older style switch with the two buttons like in my pictures below. This is the switch our cars are prewired for and you will find the wiring for this switch inside your sunroof switch hatch.

Follow these steps.

Mark out your outline...make it slightly smaller than the actual hole that you will use

Then get a sharp knife and cut away at the plastic until you feel it flex at the cut so it just snaps off.

Your finished hole will be smaller which is good because you DO NOT want it to be too big.
So get your file and file down the edges. The plastic will file away really quickly so go slow.
If you are placing the sunroof switch on the original mic grill spot you will have to file that hole down as well since the mic grill hole is smaller than the sunroof switch

Finished product. Make sure everything is lined up and if you mess up just go down to the dealership and buy another hatch lid cover as they only cost around $17 to $23.
DO NOT buy the junkyard ones off eBay as those junk yard sellers tend to want $40 - $60 for the same part in dirty used condition. I have confirmed that the BMW dealership sells these parts for $17 to $23!

Inside view of the hatch showing the new location of my parrot ck3000 mic. I used a drop of krazy glue to get it to stay in place.

Final view when said and done!

Last edited by delmarco; 03-19-2010 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:05 AM   #278
Cideways

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Dang that is like 2 of my favorite DIYs right thurrr.
I think that these DIY's are so good, it's causing backlogs for the vendors - they can't keep up...
Cideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:44 AM   #279
steve.325i

Mr. Delmarco ... sir ... dude ... 3AM ?!?

I bet your girlfriend was pissed at you this morning

Nice mod. I cant wait to see what you can get the new buttons wired to do.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:27 PM   #280
BakaN20

My Ride: 06 350z 03 325xi
I was having issues with the sound, and I found this online:

http://www.safewireless.com/hands-fr...detofj63n28c05

These are microphone covers, like the ones on big old school microphones. I haven't put them on yet, seems pretty big and beefy, hopefully it helps with the sound. It comes with 2 covers, so I can put it on my other cars parrot mic. You can look on ebay, they sell it there for the same price with no shipping. I'll let you guys know how it works out. Here is a description from there website:

Congratulations! You chose the best hands-free mobile car kit on the road.

But are your listeners getting the best sound quality?

Nothing degrades mobile sound quality more effectively than wind. Safewireless is now offering the perfect solution to wind noise: the (HD) High Definition microphone windscreen cover for your hands-free microphone.

The HD microphone windscreen allows your listeners to hear you clearly under all wind conditions:

1. While driving with windows or sunroof open

2. While driving a convertible with the top down

3. While running the air conditioner or heater

These filters have the perfect fit and high performance for your Parrot car kit. They’re Parrot approved -- and they’re exclusively available from Safewireless. They protect the microphone from dust and moisture and deliver the best hands-free audio quality on the planet.

The HD wind filter is just $9.99 for 2. It’s the perfect low-cost, high-tech solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1182.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	352808   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1183.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	352809  

Home - Fcuk Iraq - Done playing Soldier
06 350z - Nismo Exhaust/Dynotune Nitrous Wet Shot/NANO Kit/Motordyne 5/16th Spaver/mrev2/Other stuff
03 325xi - Monokuro Boo neck rest and seat belt pads, floor mats. ~Stock~
BakaN20 is offline   Reply With Quote