E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 62 votes, 4.87 average.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:02 AM   #21
nightstalker94

My Ride: 325i sports wagon 02
Dam good DIY. I will be trying this on my sports wagon 325i next month. I appreciate your time and effort. I am looking forward to the IPOD DIY. AGAIN..THANKS ALOT.
nightstalker94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:01 PM   #22
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhs99v View Post
First off - brilliant post! I am definitely going to follow this!

However, I don't have the CD player in the dash, I have the tape deck as there is an autochanger in the boot.

Please tell me that this will work with that as it is too good to be true if it does! I have read some very complicated posts about how you can get the phone controls activated in the steering wheel and all very very expensive!

Thanks again!
Thanks,
Should work with the tape deck. As long as the A connection is 17 pin style, you have steering wheel buttons for Bluetooth and you have a display on your radio.

yeah the OEM Bluetooth upgrade is almost as exhausting and expensive as putting in the OEM nav unit. When a DIY asks of me to remove my seats and carpets, drill antenna holes in my roof and 90% of my dash panel for putting in 10 year old technology that can cost me $2,000+ at the dealership I gotta ask myself is it worth it.

The OEM bluetooth kit has like 5 or more parts that never seem complete and can cost about $1000+ and I think it only works with like 2 or 3 phones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlzRider View Post
I just realized this wont work for iPhone users UNLESS your iPhone is a 3GS. The 3GS is the only iPhone with voice dialing capabilities.
Get a Blackberry. iPhone and Apple should have had simple stuff like voice dial and V.2.0 bluetooth wrapped up since the 1G iPhone. These are not new technologies.

So you mean to tell me there is no App for that!?

lol

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 11-21-2009 at 02:10 PM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:26 PM   #23
redrum0486

My Ride: 2011 328i xDrive
NIce DIY. Two questions:

1. Do you know if this will work on the Professional headunit?

2. Will this work with the iPhone sans voice dialing? I don't really need voice dialing... I'd just like to be able to receive calls and make calls from the steering wheel.

| 2011 328i xDrive | Titanium Silver [B]|
Past: | 2004 330xi | Titanium Silver
redrum0486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:28 PM   #24
redrum0486

My Ride: 2011 328i xDrive
Also, I already have Assist, is there any way to tap into the OEM mic or would I have to mount the aftermarket one elsewhere?

| 2011 328i xDrive | Titanium Silver [B]|
Past: | 2004 330xi | Titanium Silver
redrum0486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:26 PM   #25
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrum0486 View Post
NIce DIY. Two questions:

2. Will this work with the iPhone sans voice dialing? I don't really need voice dialing... I'd just like to be able to receive calls and make calls from the steering wheel.

If that head unit had the 17 pin round connector in th eback then the CTPPAR007 will work. If it has the flat pin style 40 connector then you need the CTPPAR008 connector.

iPhone sucks for ALL voice dailing bluetooth system. Fortunately it will still work for all iPhones BUT it won't be like in my video with my Blackberry 8900.
Your voice command is done thru an App that you have to download or something. I don't know much about it but you can find out from SYCE46-do a search for his threads.

Quote:
Also, I already have Assist, is there any way to tap into the OEM mic or would I have to mount the aftermarket one elsewhere?

You car has that!? I want it as well? How did you get that? Is your car imported or something?
Is the Assist in the mirror or in your headliner?
I've been told that splicing MICs don't usually result in happy endings but no need to splice anything since the Parrot's ck3000 MIC is really good-if not better than anything BMW put in your car 5-6 years ago. You can just install the Parrot's MIC in place of the the OEM MIC (which should just clip off of the MIC grill) before anything to see if you are happy with it before cutting up your car and the parrot's MIC.

Last edited by delmarco; 11-28-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:04 AM   #26
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:
If you have BMW assist and install the Parrot/Connects2 bluetooth kit you will lose the Assist function.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:07 AM   #27
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
fantastic write-up! certainly more cost effective and cheaper than this: http://www.bigpatsfans.com/bt/bluetooth.htm

BTW, how did you attach the mic to the OEM bracket? Some silicone or something?
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:09 PM   #28
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
fantastic write-up! certainly more cost effective and cheaper than this: http://www.bigpatsfans.com/bt/bluetooth.htm

BTW, how did you attach the mic to the OEM bracket? Some silicone or something?
No, no glue or silcone required. The MIC comes with an adhesive sticky footprint.

The entire ck3000 kit is quality. I get a lot more questions about the MIC than the rest of the kit.

The MIC is really the best part. I've no experience with the OEM E46 Assist or Bluetooth MIC but the ck3000 MIC is good enough on it's own that you shouldn't have to splice it or "Frankenstein" it to any other OEM MIC to get a better performance.

Folks who have placed the mic on top the A p!llar column have complained about road noise and echo but follow my DIY and place the mic where the oem E46 sedan/coupe mic grill is and it will work perfectly at any speeds, on any roads even with the sunroof and windows all open.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:41 AM   #29
useless28

My Ride: ...
This is absolutely brilliant!

Quick question though, my steering wheel isn't equipped with any of the buttons. Will I be able to control the functions with the buttons on the navigation unit?
useless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:39 PM   #30
Stan 24v

My Ride: F21 M135i
Dude, I asked on E46zone too, do you know if it'll work with the factory nav unit?
Old 11-30-2009, 05:06 PM   #31
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan 24v View Post
Dude, I asked on E46zone too, do you know if it'll work with the factory nav unit?
If you have OEM nav, its worth putting in BMW's ULF so you can have integrated voice recognition with the Nav system.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:04 PM   #32
sycE46

My Ride: 323ci
Quote:
NIce DIY. Two questions:

On the iPhone 3GS, the phone has voice dialing built in (on the phone, a long press of the home button activates it). On the steering wheel controls, quick press of the "telephone" button activates the voice controls. No programming of parrot unit is necessary since it's using the iPhone 3GS to do voice dialing instead of the Parrot Bluetooth unit.

I'm not sure how this works on the 1st Gen / 3G iPhone since they don't have voice controls.

You can always dial numbers directly from the phone. It'll still go though the bluetooth speakerphone.
sycE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:11 PM   #33
sycE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
You car has that!? I want it as well? How did you get that? Is your car imported or something?
Is the Assist in the mirror or in your headliner?
I've been told that splicing MICs don't usually result in happy endings but no need to splice anything since the Parrot's ck3000 MIC is really good-if not better than anything BMW put in your car 5-6 years ago. You can just install the Parrot's MIC in place of the the OEM MIC (which should just clip off of the MIC grill) before anything to see if you are happy with it before cutting up your car and the parrot's MIC.
I believe BMW assist came in cars from 2004 and up. BMW assist is like OnStar. So... all the late model e46s (in the US at least) have a Microphone already in the stock Mic location instead of a blank panel.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:35 AM   #34
3WheelGTi

My Ride: '02 330i
I have a small concern about your mic wire running up the A-pillar. Your wire is now sitting against the airbag! I removed my pillar cover and ran my wire UNDERNEATH the airbag in order to get around that problem. Removing the cover is not that difficult...but you will need a hex head driver of some sort (cannot remember the size).

Just an FYI.
3WheelGTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:55 AM   #35
sycE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3WheelGTi View Post
I have a small concern about your mic wire running up the A-pillar. Your wire is now sitting against the airbag! I removed my pillar cover and ran my wire UNDERNEATH the airbag in order to get around that problem. Removing the cover is not that difficult...but you will need a hex head driver of some sort (cannot remember the size).

Just an FYI.
it's a t-20 torx bit. But yah, it's really easy to remove the pillar cover and run the mic wire with the other wires running along the pillar. I have a picture of it in my writeup.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:05 PM   #36
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3WheelGTi View Post

Just an FYI.
My mic wire is not inside the A p!llar. It is running on the door-side edge of the p!llar in the felt lining and only crosses at the top edge of the p!llar to the headliner.

It is not laid in front, crossing in front or touching any of the air bag zones in that p!llar.

I made sure of that.

I'm not sure if this is the same for coupes or converts, but the sedan you can tuck the wire in the felt lining on the door-side edge of the p!llar without having the need to remove or go into the p!llar.

Last edited by delmarco; 12-02-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:01 AM   #37
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Hi guys, sorry I've been offline for a while & haven't chimed in lately.

I popped off the A-pillar cover (screws were long) and clipped the mic wire in the four or five clips that run along the airbag like synE46 did.

As I have PM'ed with delmarco, for some reason I was not able to get quality mic responce when I positioned it inside the headliner as he shows in his DIY. A bit of a bummer really because I really wanted it to be a 'stealth' install. It sounded like I was talking with a mouth full of cereal or something. I also found that the mic was clipping at normal voice levels but sounded much better when I wishppered. So like was discussed earlier in this thread I started to play with a series resistor to reduce the sensitivity of the mic. Since the youtube video suggest 10 ohms, I started with 20 ohms, then 75, then 200, & I stopped at a 300ohm.

And as I have already hinted, my final mic position is below the headliner.

Last edited by steve.325i; 12-04-2009 at 10:50 PM. Reason: added pictures
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:23 AM   #38
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Can anyone tell me how people do their posts with thumbnails of the pictures & then when you click on them the go full size? I can't figure it out.

On another note - I have been having experiencing eratic behaviour with the whole system since installing it. It will work fine for a while & then I hit the steering wheel phone button and instead of hearing my blackberry prompt "say a command" over the speakers, the phone seems to be in discrete mode and is not sending the audio to the system.

When I initiate a call with the phone keypad, everything is fine.

I called the place where I bought it & they said that it sounded like a parrot/bluetooth problem - not the quick connect / steering wheel control box so they helped me open a support case with parrot. Of course the first thing parrot wanted me to do was to disconnect the steering wheel control box & use there controller until we got things sorted. The problem still existed. I spent a few days making sure my 8110 BB Pearl had the latest OS then I gave up.

ACS agreed to send me another parrot kit but instead I borrowed one from futureshop and it was still glitch. So now it's actually looking like the phone. My IT department had a go with it (and Rogers) since it' s an Enterprise phone, etc, etc.

I broke down & asked to my wife (nicely) to borrow her 8310 curve & I could not repeat the problem.

Soooo, now I have to wait until January to swap the phone through work.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:04 AM   #39
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.325i View Post
Can anyone tell me how people do their posts with thumbnails of the pictures & then when you click on them the go full size? I can't figure it out.
Manage attachments -> Upload JPG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	picture.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	340240   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	5439
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	340241  
Old 12-03-2009, 05:05 AM   #40
sna77
OEM ///Member

If you then want to integrate the picture to not be a tumbnail, click the attachment to expand it, and copy the properties into the thread with img tags as such: