E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 68 votes, 4.88 average.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:11 PM   #421
handson

My Ride: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfhdez View Post
At least you can still do it the other way...

on a different subject... WHY IS THE SHIPPING TAKING SO LONG???!!! I got an e-mail saying the Connect2 was shipped out 3/22/10... it's now april (2 weeks).... How long did it take you guys to receive yours??

Bought mine on March 26th and received it yesterday, April 3rd from Liquid Ice on Ebay.

Took one hour to install.
handson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:30 PM   #422
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by handson View Post
Bought mine on March 26th and received it yesterday, April 3rd from Liquid Ice on Ebay.

Took one hour to install.
That is exactly who and where I bought my kit from: Liquid Ice

so I have no idea where everyone seems to be getting their kits from that takes weeks to deliver. Liquid Ice shipped in about 10 days.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 04-04-2010 at 02:33 PM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:48 PM   #423
lfhdez

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325i
Send a message via AIM to lfhdez Send a message via Yahoo to lfhdez
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
so I have no idea where everyone seems to be getting their kits from that takes weeks to deliver. Liquid Ice shipped in about 10 days.
Update: They apparently tried to deliver it on Friday. So if it was ordered on the 22nd and attempted to deliver on the 2nd That was 11 days... I guess I'm just impatient when it comes to delivering stuff. I've already taken the vents out because of a previous DIY so I know the pain of taking out those vents. But yea.. it doesn't look like a hard DIY at all.

I just wish there was a way to only swap out the sunroof and mic switches on top (without having to make a 3rd hole).

Might order the Homelink unit too just to get that whole section over with.

Transmitido en espaņol por SAP
lfhdez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 04:51 PM   #424
handson

My Ride: 330
I have a factory E46 microphone on order and will be comparing it to the Parrot Mic in regards to noise reduction, clarity and compatibility ....I will update with results later this week.
handson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:06 PM   #425
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwill View Post
JLondan:
Do you hapeen to have a DIY with pic on how to wire the 10K Ohm resistor and where to get the parts?
Please see my album pics to see how I put the resistor in.

btw - I placed with different values & settled on 300ohms. IMO even a 1k0 reduced the mic sensitivity severely.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/album.php?albumid=1695
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:12 PM   #426
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Damit!!! I have to learn to talk with you before I go off & do something. As I posted previously, I bought a second kit (for the Sportage) & I ended up paying $65 from
www.SonicElectronix.com

It's too late for me, but can you supply a link to the "Car Stereo Dude" on ebay? I am not able to find him.

Quote:
Everyone, yes this is a great cheap way to go hands-free; but you should know that the mic quality for this system sucks badly. It's ok while driving maybe around town, but on the highway it's too damn noisey.
Absolutely disagree. With the series resistor mod, the system is good for highway as well.

Last edited by steve.325i; 04-04-2010 at 07:15 PM.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:43 PM   #427
JLondon

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Quote:
JLondan:
Do you hapeen to have a DIY with pic on how to wire the 10K Ohm resistor and where to get the parts?
I just followed Steve's pictures... http://forum.e46fanatics.com/album.p...pictureid=8714

Used the 10K Ohm from this Radio Shack assortment... http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...or+assortments

My soldering skills aren't the best so I didn't attempt any other resistors except the 10K from the package.
JLondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:07 PM   #428
officer140

My Ride: 01 330xi, 99 TLR
Quote:
I just wish there was a way to only swap out the sunroof and mic switches on top (without having to make a 3rd hole).
3rd hole? I swapped mine with no probs. A pair of dykes (aka wire cutters) and I snipped a little off the top and a little off the bottom, nice snug fit! The mic is not snug at all - in fact it's rather loose but stays in place - even after I forget that I swapped them and inadvertantly reach up without looking to either open or close the sunroof and bang up against the mic
officer140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:15 PM   #429
officer140

My Ride: 01 330xi, 99 TLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZen330 View Post
Great , please let us know the results. You're right the Alpine units can trun on with car off. Also, with Alpine units you can use the Parrot with the HU turned off (but car on). Next time you're there in a quiet area, turn the car engine on, keep the headunit off and listen very closely to the front speaker down by your feet. Please let us know what you hear.

Thanks.
Beautiful weather for the past few days I got down and put my ear right to the speaker and heard nothing - no hiss or anything. Maybe it's something you did? It happens. Any aftermarket things installed in your car? Sometimes that'll come into play.
officer140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:42 AM   #430
lfhdez

Quote:
Originally Posted by officer140 View Post
3rd hole? I swapped mine with no probs. A pair of dykes (aka wire cutters) and I snipped a little off the top and a little off the bottom, nice snug fit! The mic is not snug at all - in fact it's rather loose but stays in place - even after I forget that I swapped them and inadvertantly reach up without looking to either open or close the sunroof and bang up against the mic
I meant the third hole as in, referring to the mod for the third switch delmacro made. But yeah, I tried just switching them and quickly found out about the microphone one being loose. The reason why I didn't want to do that is because i'm afraid the fact that it's loose might cause it to vibrate too much. How's your sound quality?

Old 04-05-2010, 03:15 PM   #431
Arby1028

My Ride: 2002 330i Sedan
Quote:
At least you can still do it the other way...

on a different subject... WHY IS THE SHIPPING TAKING SO LONG???!!! I got an e-mail saying the Connect2 was shipped out 3/22/10... it's now april (2 weeks).... How long did it take you guys to receive yours??
I ordered mine on 3/8/10 and STILL haven't received it. Those jack-asses at the Connects2 Company are unresponsive to e-mail, etc.

Anyone got a suggestion? I'm getting ready to have the charge reversed on my credit card.
Arby1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:29 PM   #432
involution

My Ride: 92 Alltrac
I just did the Connects2/Eclipse (Parrot) DIY Mod (thanks delmarco!)

2000/323i with a tape deck/6cd changer - Here's what I found:

Installation:
Pretty simple, my biggest challenge was fitting the A/C connector above the radio module. Had I been following instructions properly, I would have moved the CD changer connector to the Connects2 the first time - luckily I now have plenty of practice disconnecting and putting things back in place

Initial issues:
1) I had a very loud 'pop' whenever it switched to phone mode
2) I had a high pitched hum whenever it was in phone mode
Resolution (partial):
Before tucking everything away and buttoning it all up - set the Eclipse (Parrot) to it's lowest volume setting (Press the round knob once, scroll right until the english chick says 'Volume' and press the round knob down again - it will start beeping... Spin the knob counter-clockwise for a while until the beeps stop getting quieter and press down on the knob again)
this quietened down the pops dramatically, they are bearable and sound like more of a 'click' now. It also removed the humming completely

Note: The microphone seems to have changed in the Eclipse package - it now comes with a wind guard and a different holder - delmarco's one fit nicely in his roof compartment - this new one doesn't... I basically pointed the mic downwards (with the wind guard attached - and without the Eclipse holder) against the OEM mic cover and taped that ***** down with electrical tape so it faces downwards pointing towards the gear shifter

Audio:
Seems good - luckily on the blackberries when you're connected with bluetooth you can use your voice recorder to record from the Eclipse mic and play it back on your handset. While driving with the windows down and sunroof open it still manages to recognize my vocal numeric dialing perfectly

Worth it?
Absolutely

For the guy who was asking about a buzzing/humming without being in phone mode: I checked pretty carefully - somehow managed to contort myself (with my doors closed) so that my head was up against the front door speaker... I heard no noise at all

Only gripe I have is that it doesn't stream audio from the phone.. looking back I would probably have gone with a higher Eclipse model that supports audio streaming and hacked it in - but for now and until I save up enough for a full carpc this is exactly what I needed
Old 04-05-2010, 06:39 PM   #433
involution

My Ride: 92 Alltrac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby1028 View Post
I ordered mine on 3/8/10 and STILL haven't received it. Those jack-asses at the Connects2 Company are unresponsive to e-mail, etc.

Anyone got a suggestion? I'm getting ready to have the charge reversed on my credit card.
I got mine from dynamicsounds00 on Ebay - shipped from the UK and got it somehow in just a few business days (to Canada)

I've always had good experiences with Royal Mail -> Canada Post... Maybe it's because we share the same Queen
Old 04-06-2010, 01:53 AM   #434
ZZen330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Hey involution - thanks for the review

Regarding setting the volume from the Parrot control dial, what I found is that I would set it lower but after a car power off power on cycle it would reset itself louder again. I don't really have much 'pop; when the Parrot kicks in, just a 'click' as you mentioned. Thee first use of the Parrot after ach car power on, it is a bit loud, then I use the steering wheel control to lower it a bit and it will remember than for subsequent uses during that trip, but will reset to loud on next start up.

My Eclipse unit has the same mic as Delmarco, but I also didn't use the included mounts and also electrical taped it on an angle behind the OEM grill.

As for the the hiss/ground loop humming. After more studying I've found it is more noticeable from the door tweeter/mid-range speaker and also from the mid-range speaker in the back seat area (above the arm rest on the side panel). So the ground loop hum is not just through the front speakers like I initially thought, but through all of them.

If I could figure out which section of the power carrying wire I should splice in a power line noise filter I might give that a try. Burnhamd might be the only guy to figure that detail out though.

Also, since you have a 2000 model, your Parrot won't work with the headunit off, so you probably won't hear any hiss/hum with the headunit off, unlike 2002+ models.

As an aside, I have been contacted by others who haven't posted in this thread that have the same issue as I do, so I'm not alone in this.
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:59 AM   #435
ZZen330

Oh I also found info that I could actually retrofit the phone prewire option 640 (61 12 0 143 309 retrofit wiring harness, 61 12 0 029 454 antenna line) into my car, then add the OEM Bluetooth ULF, but the 640 prewire retrofit would be a hell of a job (including taking the whole driver side of the interior apart basically) that I could do, but just really don't want to do. Also, cost a lot of $ for the parts.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:20 AM   #436
Arby1028

My Ride: 2002 330i Sedan
OK...I finally spoke with Roger Chant about my order this morning. He isn't sure what happened and is sending out another in the next couple days. He confirmed this with an e-mail as well.

Last edited by Arby1028; 04-06-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Arby1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:15 AM   #437
burnhamd

My Ride: 325i 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZen330 View Post
Oh I also found info that I could actually retrofit the phone prewire option 640 (61 12 0 143 309 retrofit wiring harness, 61 12 0 029 454 antenna line) into my car, then add the OEM Bluetooth ULF, but the 640 prewire retrofit would be a hell of a job (including taking the whole driver side of the interior apart basically) that I could do, but just really don't want to do. Also, cost a lot of $ for the parts.
Yea. Another option is to wire it like my car. Just straight into the headunit. This would mean bypass connects2 relays and create a tel on signal. This would allow your headunit to switch the input. This would not require too much wiring either.
burnhamd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:26 AM   #438
Billy_McSkintos

www.lowcostaudio.co.uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANe46 View Post
Anyone else order their Connects2 CTPPAR007 from www.lowcostcaraudio.co.uk... taking forever for them to ship it... ordered this two weeks ago still hasn't arrived?? anyone...
My experience with www.lowcostaudio.co.uk has been incredibly poor. I highly recommend you look on E-bay for cheaper alternatives that will provide better service and manners. After 3 weeks of waiting I contacted them only to for them to send me a tracking number - they hadn't even shipped it. No apology. Nothing. AVOID THEM!
Billy_McSkintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:41 AM   #439
lfhdez

Diy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnhamd View Post
Yea. Another option is to wire it like my car. Just straight into the headunit. This would mean bypass connects2 relays and create a tel on signal. This would allow your headunit to switch the input. This would not require too much wiring either.
Some people might be interested in that, DIY?

Old 04-06-2010, 11:55 AM   #440
ZZen330

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnhamd View Post
If I knew how to do that i'd probably try it. I dontthink that would retain any steering wheel controls though.