E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 92 votes, 4.91 average.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:45 AM   #761
Pimpwerx

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexramsey View Post
Hey guys! Just got done with the install, everything went smoothly. Two tips for others: 1. If you want the vent to pull out quickly and easily, simply take your palm to the bottom of the vent and push up...then pull out as hard as you can. 2. The C/A connector is the hardest bit because you have to pull the connector up through the left of the headunit cage. I found that if you pull the cable to the connector up first, it frees up space...then flex the headunit cage to the right as much as possible and pull/push the connector up quickly.

I have a problem, however. I have a Motorola Droid X. I have successfully paired the device, but the phone says "Paired - Not Connected". When I make or receive calls, the phone does not use the bluetooth and the button for bluetooth on the call screen is grayed out. Anybody else had similar issues? Anybody know if I did something wrong?

One more question, if you press either of the buttons on the wheel...should anything happen (besides voice activated bluetooth because the Droid X doesn't have that until the Froyo update.)

Thanks. I will continue searching this thread, sorry if this question is a repeat...but I've only read 12 pages in the 35 or so on here...don't have that much time on my hands.
I've had a few Android phones, and none of them do voice command. The Froyo ROMs I've run don't have it either. I think it will be in the next iteration of Android, 2.3 or something. Maybe I'm wrong and the full Froyo release will have it, but I don't think it was in the update Sprint released last week.

However, you can do a voice search using the phone, and it will dial the number then connect to the Parrot. Kinda defeating the purpose, but at least know that Google will be giving us full voice command relatively soon. PEACE.
Pimpwerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:49 AM   #762
Pimpwerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.325i
Hmmm a ground loop isolator is usually targeted at line level audio. It would be a little difficult to insert into the parrot/connect2 system.

A powerline noise filter may be more effective, but the question is where to put it. Both the 12V constant and the 12V ignition lines from the HU to the Connect2 would have to be filtered. Definitely a PIA.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_003S15A...t.html?tp=2653

I would check your connections first to make sure all connectors are completely seated. Disconnect & reconnect everything to make sure any oxidation is scrapped through.
Will check the connections. I guess some of the connections get jostled when putting in the glove compartment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstaack View Post
I have a similar problem under different conditions. I didn't have a whine at first. Then I changed my speakers and increased the volume of the Parrot while I was at it. Since then, I get a loud popping sound when the cell pairs and whining. I suspect I need a ground loop isolator, but don't know where to place it.
Hmmm, I wonder if it's the volume setting. I have the loud pop/chirp when the phone pairs with the Parrot too. And I set the Parrot's volume to full when I installed it. It's easily-accessible in the glovie, so let me see if turning down the volume (on the Parrot) ends up turning down the gain on the system, and thus the whine. PEACE.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:01 PM   #763
alexramsey

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i Silver
Quick update, the bluetooth works in my car...but with a friends phone. We called somebody and they said they could barely hear us though.

Next step is to improve the mic quality. Pimpwerx, I will be waiting for this...I thought Google said that froyo would have bt voice dialing. If not, no biggie. This bluetooth mod isn't really that essential for me right now...I wasn't expecting it to work 100% immediately.
alexramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:13 PM   #764
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
why don't you guys just get Blackberries and save yourself the trouble!
Sounds like ya'll are about to replace or part out the car because the phone don't work...or have voice command/dial
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:15 PM   #765
E36M3FORNOW

My Ride: CLK55 AMG, 02 M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexramsey View Post
Quick update, the bluetooth works in my car...but with a friends phone. We called somebody and they said they could barely hear us though.

Next step is to improve the mic quality. Pimpwerx, I will be waiting for this...I thought Google said that froyo would have bt voice dialing. If not, no biggie. This bluetooth mod isn't really that essential for me right now...I wasn't expecting it to work 100% immediately.
Isolate the Mic to only pic up inside copkit sound...
E36M3FORNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:13 PM   #766
Pimpwerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
why don't you guys just get Blackberries and save yourself the trouble!
Sounds like ya'll are about to replace or part out the car because the phone don't work...or have voice command/dial
RIM needs to step their touchscreen game up.

And actually, I might be wrong about BT. It might just be the ROMs I've used, as they're sometimes hack jobs. Google's dev site still lists it as a feature, so I'm gonna flash my phone again and see if one of the newer ROMs has it activated. It's really just a software thing, because our phones already do voice dial/search and also speech-to-text. PEACE.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:38 AM   #767
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpwerx View Post
yeah you are right about that. it is the only thing i which my BB8900 had.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
Old 08-09-2010, 12:02 PM   #768
325i2002

My Ride: '02 325i
I received everything and installed it over the weekend. I paired it with an iphone 3GS, all connected, but I am getting a lot of static when the engine is at idle. The static goes away when the engine is running at a higher RPM. I will have to look into getting a power line filter. I wonder if the placement of the "magic" boxes and the routing of the wires are picking up power noise from nearby power lines.
325i2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:48 AM   #769
ZHPOWER

My Ride: 2003 ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpwerx View Post
I think they're on it... New BB Torch in 2 days..
ZHPOWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:53 AM   #770
Pimpwerx

I reflashed my phone, and Android 2.2 has voice-command over BT. I wish it would tie into voice search or dictation, but it reads my phone book just fine. Just a heads-up since I had said otherwise. PEACE.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:04 AM   #771
Arby1028

My Ride: 2002 330i Sedan
I'm going to deactivate the "Magic Words" function on the Parrot today...on a business call yesterday it hung-up on me. I think because I said a word similar to "hang up". This is about the 4th or 5th time now this has happened.
Arby1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:14 AM   #772
JLondon

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby1028 View Post
I'm going to deactivate the "Magic Words" function on the Parrot today...on a business call yesterday it hung-up on me. I think because I said a word similar to "hang up". This is about the 4th or 5th time now this has happened.
I also attempted to use "Magic Words" with unacceptable results...too many hangups.
JLondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:41 PM   #773
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLondon View Post
I also attempted to use "Magic Words" with unacceptable results...too many hangups.
Wow, we were talking about this a while ago - around post # 200.

Yes, my life is much better WITHOUT having magic words enabled.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:23 PM   #774
lkstaack

My Ride: 04 330iZHP, 05 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstaack View Post
I have a similar problem under different conditions. I didn't have a whine at first. Then I changed my speakers and increased the volume of the Parrot while I was at it. Since then, I get a loud popping sound when the cell pairs and whining. I suspect I need a ground loop isolator, but don't know where to place it.
I turned the volume down and ran the remote into my fuse box so I can access it again without removing my dash board. Volume reduction significantly reduced the popping sound when the phone pairs, but it only reduced the whining slightly. This whine changes frequency as engine RPMs increase; I guess it is because of a ground problem? How can I eliminate this whine; it will drive me crazy after a while.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:36 PM   #775
ralf

This post is a real money saver and one of the easiest and more useful modifications for bmws!

I just did my installation and it works fine!

I want to extend my biggest gratitude for the maker of this post!
ralf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:00 PM   #776
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf View Post
This post is a real money saver and one of the easiest and more useful modifications for bmws!

I just did my installation and it works fine!

I want to extend my biggest gratitude for the maker of this post!
welcome!

where are you from?
what is torreon? is that Iceland?

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
Old 08-16-2010, 02:10 AM   #777
ralf

Quote:
welcome!

where are you from?
what is torreon? is that Iceland?
Hell... i wish it was... Its on north of Mexico, in the middle of the desert, with hot days approaching 100 F on summer.

Greetings!
ralf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:03 PM   #778
bdecker

My Ride: 04 330xi
Great project- write-up. It took me a little longer than 30 minutes but the car looks as good as it did before I touched it so it's a success!
bdecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:19 PM   #779
JLondon

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdecker View Post
...It took me a little longer than 30 minutes...
Taking my time, it took me about 2 hours...if I'm lucky I can do it in 45 minutes a second time around, but "little longer than 30 minutes" is unbelievable.

...not including the hour it took me to modify the mic by soldering the resistor and testing.
JLondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:23 AM   #780
bdecker

My Ride: 04 330xi
Quote:
Best Advice is to drop your glove box and check the connections then pull out your radio and unplug and plug the connector back onto the radio. Also unplugging your battery may remedy it as well.

On a side note
when I was installing my USA-Spec iPod Data Unit last weekend I had to drop the glove box to store the Spec unit next to the Parrot Blue box and funny enough I noticed my Parrot Controller red/green buttons were active and lit up (as the car and the radio and bluetooth was on with the engine running). Pushing these red/green buttons and dial button activated the call features and setting features of the Bluetooth. I also noticed that it was squished in there between all the wiring and stuff behind the glove box.

The thought that occurred to me is that if your controller buttons are wedged in a getting constantly pressed by nearby objects then it may result in poor sound performance, issues with the steering wheel control buttons and all other types of weirdness.

So be sure to make sure the controller and it's buttons are all clear from contact with wiring and objects.

And yes the buttons on the little bugger are really very very very sensitive . As I was installing my USA-Spec I kept setting off the Bluetooth's voice/language settings everytime I brushed against the thing.

Did this work? I thought mine was working great until I spoke to my wife- who was brutally honest about the sound quality... Any sound tuning tips?
bdecker is offline   Reply With Quote