E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 48 votes, 4.83 average.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:41 AM   #61
rellik

My Ride: is too slow...
DUDE. Sweet work Delmarco. Three Cheers!
Sport, Cold Weather and Premium Packages * Dinan TCAI * Dinan Stage II engine software * Dinan performance tranny software * UUC TSE3 * ///M3 Steering wheel * ///M3 lip spoiler * UUC Slotted Front Rotors * Powerflex FCAB's * KONI FSD's * UUC StrutBarbarian * 35% tint * OEM (ULO) clears * 5000k bulbs * NGK Iridiums * Stewart WP * Delmarco's Bluetooth retrofit * LED Angel Eyes * 3K HID Fogs * USA Spec
rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:35 PM   #62
DADON4SHO

My Ride: SLOW E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
As an avid IBM Lenovo T60 user I suck at creating videos and my pictures and video clips are done on a 2004 5 megapix Nikon Coolpix 5200 camera that literally looks like it been thru war. I can't imagine shooting a 10-20 minute video on that thing.

The Bluetooth DIY took about 30 to 40 minutes with the bulk of that time spent trying to remove the upper centre vent and get the C/A connection thru to the upper vent area (its a tight space to work with if you have big manly hands-having someone with tiny hands to help will shave off about 10-15 minutes). The rest of the DIY is as easy as connecting Lego blocks.

For the value, performance and ease of this DIY I don't think there is a better thing you can do for yourself and your car right now.
thanks a lot man.
i really wanna do this. but it seems(and trust me i looked and looked) complicated for me... maybe just have ur gf hold the camera as you do the diy.
i would really appreciate it.

ps:how do you have your ipod set up?
are you using the dice kit? or some other super kool thing like this lol

Last edited by DADON4SHO; 12-10-2009 at 12:53 PM.
DADON4SHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:55 PM   #63
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DADON4SHO View Post
thanks a lot man.
i really wanna do this. but it seems(and trust me i looked and looked) complicated for me... maybe just have ur gf hold the camera as you do the diy.
i would really appreciate it.
Wait, you want him to unhook everything and re-do it, but this time making a video? Ha... No offense, but if you can't follow these instructions, which are incredibly detailed, you shouldn't be doing this yourself--pay a professional to do it for you.
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:59 PM   #64
BruceJ

My Ride: 2007 Z4Si 2003 330i
Cool Secret of the Center Vent - It's got retaining clips !!

Pulled harder, got the vent out, thought I was gonna break it and thats when it came out. Did the rest in 15 Minutes. Thanks Delmarco - One of the most straight forward DIY's Ive ever done. The center vent, FYI for anybody else yet to do this: there are two upper and two lower stepped clips on the vent located on the top and bottom about one half inch in from the sides. Thats what is keeping the center vent in. They are designed that as you push the vent in the clips grab on a higher step and lock it tighter. Unfortunately you cant see them until you get the vent out. Maybe you can push down on the the whole vent assembley and then push out from the inside for the top clips and vice versa for the bottom. It's a SOB to get out by pulling and wiggling up and down. After looking at the clips you'll see why. I ended up with the same problem as Steve.325i on the mic. I really want the stealth look as well. I've got a MOTO™ W755 for a phone. I'm going to try cupping some sound insulation around the mic, leaving the mic vent as hopefully the only/major source of sound, soon as I figure out what to use. I may also try to remount and reposition the mic so that it is angled straight down. We'll see. Great MOD. Great DIY. Best bang for the buck on a Bimmer I've seen yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E46 center vent.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	341343  

Last edited by BruceJ; 12-13-2009 at 06:55 PM.
BruceJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:18 PM   #65
rares

My Ride: 02 S54
Send a message via AIM to rares Send a message via Yahoo to rares Send a message via Skype™ to rares
Dude, this is absolutely fantastic, thanks so much for your time invested... This is why BMW rocks.. because of people like u.
rares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:09 PM   #66
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DADON4SHO View Post
maybe just have ur gf hold the camera as you do the diy. i would really appreciate it.
... I'm still giggling ... I don't know what else to say ...
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:16 PM   #67
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceJ View Post
I'm going to try cupping some sound insulation around the mic, leaving the mic vent as hopefully the only/major source of sound, soon as I figure out what to use. I may also try to remount and reposition the mic so that it is angled straight down.
I forgot to mention that. I also tried mounting the mic straight up behind the OEM mic vent making an upside down 'T'. To my surprise it was no improvement.

I also used some light weight packaging foam to surround the mic.

Unfortunately placing the mic below the headliner was the only way I could get it to sound clean.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:14 AM   #68
snowcatxx87

My Ride: 04 330CI
Is this removing AUX in / CD changer capabilities?
snowcatxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:47 PM   #69
sycE46

My Ride: 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcatxx87 View Post
Is this removing AUX in / CD changer capabilities?
No it doesn't remove AUX in / CD changer. All your accessories should still work.
sycE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:07 AM   #70
ZZen330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Hmm, I want to do this mod but two guys now have said the mic doesn't work well in the OEM hidden position. I want it stealth and not hanging below the console.
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:48 AM   #71
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZen330 View Post
Hmm, I want to do this mod but two guys now have said the mic doesn't work well in the OEM hidden position. I want it stealth and not hanging below the console.
then buy the OEM kit...
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:31 PM   #72
Keno

My Ride: smelly & leaky 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Keno
Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
Wait, you want him to unhook everything and re-do it, but this time making a video? Ha... No offense, but if you can't follow these instructions, which are incredibly detailed, you shouldn't be doing this yourself--pay a professional to do it for you.
LOL. people these days...
Old 12-13-2009, 04:03 AM   #73
DANe46

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325i E46
Anyone else order their Connects2 CTPPAR007 from www.lowcostcaraudio.co.uk... taking forever for them to ship it... ordered this two weeks ago still hasn't arrived?? anyone...
Old 12-13-2009, 09:10 AM   #74
BruceJ

My Ride: 2007 Z4Si 2003 330i
Connect2 source

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANe46 View Post
Anyone else order their Connects2 CTPPAR007 from www.lowcostcaraudio.co.uk... taking forever for them to ship it... ordered this two weeks ago still hasn't arrived?? anyone...
Got mine from Liquid ICE on ebay - took about a week and a half, it is coming from the UK after all.
BruceJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:55 PM   #75
daytonaviolet

My Ride: 2004 M3
Send a message via AIM to daytonaviolet Send a message via MSN to daytonaviolet Send a message via Yahoo to daytonaviolet
big props for you for sharing this info and setting up the DIY
Old 12-14-2009, 03:52 AM   #76
ZZen330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Quote:
then buy the OEM kit...
Nah, not going to spend that much $$$ on this. I'll wait to see if others are having the same issue as some seem to be doing ok with it.

To the guys who have ordered the kits, please update when you get them installed. Thanks.
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:06 AM   #77
mc5

My Ride: m3 vert 04
Will this work with the nav unit? The radio is in the trunk. thanks
Old 12-14-2009, 02:41 PM   #78
delmarco

My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
lol. Thanks buddy. Sounds like someone needs to fix the resolution on their computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZen330 View Post
They are many many many other places you can place the mic that best suit your needs. OEM works and has been working for me perfectly.
That said, my gfriend C Class comes with the Bluetooth mic mounted under the ignition key insert next to the steering wheel column so that is one place you may thing to mount the mic. The mic wiring and parrot kit is very long and allows you to place the mic anywhere in your cabin. Use your imagination.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 12-14-2009 at 02:54 PM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:24 PM   #79
sycE46

My Ride: 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANe46 View Post
I ordered mine from there. it took about a week and half. Their customer service kinda sucks. It takes them forever to respond to emails.
sycE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:28 PM   #80
farmdog

My Ride: Acura TL
Is there a difference between the ck3000 and the ck3000 "black" edition?