E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 66 votes, 4.88 average.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:56 AM   #901
clydesdale

My Ride: e30, 2004 zhp
GOOD NEWS!!!!! My wife's zhp had an annoying hiss when I would talk to her. I moved the mic to an exposed position outside of the overhead panel, but that did not get rid of the hiss. We then, with the help of Steve325i, wired up a "patch cable" or short extension with a 300 ohm resistor. The hiss is now GONE. There is now only a mild difference between her on the cell and her in the car. Where as before, I could tell the second she was on the bluetooth. It is so damn good that we put it back in the overhead panel. She did not take it for a full road test yet, as the roads were wet and salty. But, she drove it around the block a few times and it was excellent. Before, she could be stopped at a red light and it still sounded like crap.
Sooooo, give the resistor mod a shot. It made a HUGE difference for us. I am a picky PITA and strive for perfection and I am satisfied.
Thanks
clydesdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:35 AM   #902
JLondon

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydesdale View Post
GOOD NEWS!!!!!....Sooooo, give the resistor mod a shot. It made a HUGE difference for us...
Thanks
Excellent. The resistor mod does make a HUGE difference indeed. Unfortunately, the OEM location still doesn't fair well...works perfect when exposed and attached to my sunroof switch - haven't had time to swap with the mic cover.
JLondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:45 PM   #903
In.The.Red

My Ride: 325xi RX-7
Just wanted to let you guys know that lowcostcaraudio seems to have got their act together regarding shipping. While I know that it was never much of an issue with Canada, I ordered my connects2 kit on Jan 12th, got an email on the 13th saying it had shipped and it was delivered to my house yesterday (19th). UK to Canada in a week from ordering...... now, if only my Parrot kit from eBay (Texas) was anywhere near as fast!
In.The.Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:57 AM   #904
dsblk93gt

My Ride: '01 325i
Man, I need to do this asap!!!
Old 01-24-2011, 12:19 AM   #905
Chris C

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
This is a great mod. In the DMV (District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia) area we're hands free and my understanding is that they do ticket. I finally got the equipment and performed the install over the weekend. I bought the Parrot CK3000 bluetooth kit on eBay and bought the Connect2 PTCPAR007 from lowcostcaraudio. Ordering by lowcostcaraudio wasn't a problem. It had taken about a week and a half to receive my order. I thought that was a reasonable amount of time to receive a package from Europe.

The install took me quite a bit longer than 1 hour to do (as to my skill level I've done a cooling system overhaul, replaced my vanos seals with the Besian kit, and replaced my brakes.) I was being extra careful but I got hung up in the following areas:

Removing the central vent. That was a pain in the neck and held me up the longest. I was just about to give up when I decided to give it one more tug. For whatever reason it decided to come out. As others have mentioned pull up and out. I was pulling quite hard and it didn't break.

Removing the A connector from the radio. I've replaced a radio before (in a Toyota) but I hadn't seen a connector like the A connector before. It wasn't intuitively obvious to me that you had to keep lifting the plastic part up to separate the connector. I thought you just lifted it a little and then pulled it apart. Oh, well, live and learn...

Removing the data link for the CD changer from the A connector was a problem for me. Again, I hadn't seen a connector like the A connector before and it wasn't readily apparent that I had to remove the blue retaining clip before the data link would come out. Once the blue clip was removed the data link for the CD changer was a piece of cake to remove.

I didn't have felt running all the way up the window area of my car (2001 325ci.) I had to remove the A pillar and tuck the mic wire behind it. I also put the mic wire behind the airbag. Thankfully it wasn't difficult to remove the A pillar.

I was able to get things back together quickly. I put the mic in the OEM location and haven't had any problems with reception. It sounds great. Thanks again for this the great DIY write up!

Last edited by Chris C; 01-25-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Chris C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #906
In.The.Red

My Ride: 325xi RX-7
Well, my parrot (eclipse) unit arrived yesterday, so I decided to tackle the installation today in my '03 325xi. Thanks again to delmarco for posting this up, and for everyone's input!

As everyone has said, getting the vents out are a PITA, but eventually they came out. I also had an issue trying to fit the blue parrot control box in the white plastic frame behind the glove box. The unit stuck out too far and wouldn't allow me to put the glove box back in, so I had to mount the unit to the right of the white frame. Not a big problem to overcome!

Anyway, a quick test of the unit showed that the sound of me talking was muffled and hollow when the mic was in the stock location. I switched the sunroof switch with the mic and that helped, but it wasn't great, so I decided to modify the mic cover:

I removed the black plastic cover, and with a dremel cut out the grille and enlarged the hole.

My plan is to use the acoustic cloth from an old pair of earphones. I cut a disc out of the earphone sock:

I wrapped the cloth over the frame of the mic grille, and installed it back into the trim panel. The extra materiel also helped to hold the grille frame in place, as the hole for the sunroof button is slightly larger than the mic hole:

What you see:

I mounted the mic at the front of the hole pointing backwards. This means that the mic is basically pointing right at me.

All buttoned up!

Overall the muffled sound and the sensation of talking through a tube is much improved! It's still not perfect, but it's way better than it was with the grille over the mic. My next step will be to pack that area behind the mic with some manner of sound insulation. The whole point was to retain the stock stealth look, and I really like how it turned out!
In.The.Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:03 PM   #907
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by In.The.Red View Post
Overall the muffled sound and the sensation of talking through a tube is much improved! It's still not perfect, but it's way better than it was with the grille over the mic. My next step will be to pack that area behind the mic with some manner of sound insulation. The whole point was to retain the stock stealth look, and I really like how it turned out!
Yup, I like the look.
The resitor mod to adjust the mic bias voltage will correct the 'nuffled sound' issue.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:23 PM   #908
garrettmarvel

My Ride: 03 M3 Convertible
Question

can this be done with just the parrot ck3000 system and not the steering wheel harness? i've been looking everywhere for a thread and can't find anything. i don't need steering wheel controls, just not sure if i need a harness outside of what came with the ck3000 kit.

thx.
garrettmarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:52 AM   #909
jgold47

My Ride: 2004 X5 3.0
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...84&fg=30&hl=11

has anyone tried utilizing this?

my about me link
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=791566

jgold47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:02 AM   #910
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettmarvel View Post
can this be done with just the parrot ck3000 system and not the steering wheel harness? i've been looking everywhere for a thread and can't find anything. i don't need steering wheel controls, just not sure if i need a harness outside of what came with the ck3000 kit.

thx.
Yes you can install the ck3000 standalone into any vehicle. It comes with a three button interface.

http://www.parrot.com/catalog/produc...000-evolution/

If you do not want to splice it into your HU harness wire by wire, you can purchase a radio interface adapter but they are kind of pricy. And for the 17pin you actually need the QCBMW-R, not the QCBMW-F like the selector suggests.

http://www.quickconnectproducts.com/

Last edited by steve.325i; 02-01-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:38 AM   #911
garrettmarvel

My Ride: 03 M3 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.325i View Post
Yes you can install the ck3000 standalone into any vehicle. It comes with a three button interface.

http://www.parrot.com/catalog/produc...000-evolution/

If you do not want to splice it into your HU harness wire by wire, you can purchase a radio interface adapter but they are kind of pricy. And for the 17pin you actually need the QCBMW-R, not the QCBMW-F like the selector suggests.

http://www.quickconnectproducts.com/
are there any DIYs out there for the splicing procedure on the E46? That's what I need, as i purchased the ck3000 but cannot find explicit E46 instructions...
garrettmarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #912
steve.325i

The CD53 pinout can be found here:

http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/aud...e46-69050.html

And the Parrot documentaion should identify all of the wires on that end.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #913
steve.325i

Ah, check this out. I can't find a clean link, but if you google AC000001AA it will be the first thing on the list.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source...0EqHfBgD7Z6O9g
Old 03-07-2011, 01:12 AM   #914
rody1285

My Ride: 00' 323i, 05 M3 Vert
Send a message via AIM to rody1285
I have recently taken out my parrot and upgraded to a dynavin unit. I am selling my Connect 2 interface kit to recoup some of the expense. Paid close to $100 off ebay and had to wait about 2 weeks shipping since there were no usa sellers. Selling for $85 Shipped, I will accept paypal. Please PM me if interested. Please see picture below. Works perfect.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Old 03-07-2011, 07:18 AM   #915
JLondon

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
I'm thinking of doing the same thing. What did you do with the CK3000 and mic? Just left it behind the glovebox and in the headliner? The only showstopper for me is the Dynavin doesn't work with the steering wheel controls for voicedialing...unless the newest firmware fixes this. Would love to hear what you think of the Dynavin.
JLondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #916
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgold47 View Post
Yeah. I think you PM'd me about this.

The E46 cars are pre-wired for the OEM mic/Bluetooth/Phone preparation but the OEM microphone is not plug and play with the Parrot ck3000 kit.

The Parrot mic seems to have the general (3.5mm - i think) audio jack input connection to the main ECU so I would assume that any other mic with a similar audio jack input should work.

I know radio shack sells a ton of fancy super power mics. Like this one:

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #917
mpappas

My Ride: 2001 320i
amazing! easier then I expected. I did run into some issues pulling the vents out had to really put some effort into it. Thanks! works perfect!
mpappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:33 PM   #918
steve.325i

Yup, the vents are a pita. Glad to hear the rest of the install went well.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:23 PM   #919
Comanche5

My Ride: BMW 330ci ZHP

Last edited by Comanche5; 03-21-2011 at 05:23 AM.
Comanche5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:12 PM   #920
albertchoi

My Ride: BMW 328ci
pre 2002 without cd changer

Can this be done without the cd changer?
Also my cd player is pre 2002 so I dont wanna order without knowing for sure that it's gona work or not.
albertchoi is offline   Reply With Quote