E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 105 votes, 4.92 average.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:12 PM   #921
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertchoi View Post
Can this be done without the cd changer?
Also my cd player is pre 2002 so I dont wanna order without knowing for sure that it's gona work or not.
Yes, this is totally seperate from the CD changer.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:41 PM   #922
albertchoi

My Ride: BMW 328ci
Can i install this without installing the mic?
I'm thinking of installing this for my itouch(the new itouch that has bluetooth) and my phone but I would like to just use my own mic from the phone.
albertchoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:49 PM   #923
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertchoi View Post
Can i install this without installing the mic?
I'm thinking of installing this for my itouch(the new itouch that has bluetooth) and my phone but I would like to just use my own mic from the phone.
Not 100% sure, I don't think so.

When you pair a BT Handsfree or BT Headset device, BOTH sound in & sound out get bridged to the BT device. I do not think you can send receive sound to the parrot & still configure the iPhone mic to receive.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:26 PM   #924
CJPatel

My Ride: E92 335, F430 Spider
Can anyone give me a quick tip.

Does the facelift M3 (03.5+) have to be wired in the truck where the bluetooth connections are? Or will there be a similar connection behind the factory business CD? I've wired my DICE kit back there and clearly saw a bluetooth connection wire, but the wire was quite a bit longer then what I have with this kit.

DD -
2011 550i X - MSport
Weekend -
Ferrari F430 Spider - F1

Gone:
2008 Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Stratus White/Bitter Chocolate, coupe w/ Aston Martin Powerpack and Quicksilver exhaust
2003.5 Mystic Blue M3 6spd :(
2009 E92 335i, MSport, 6spd
CJPatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:02 AM   #925
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJPatel View Post
Can anyone give me a quick tip.

Does the facelift M3 (03.5+) have to be wired in the truck where the bluetooth connections are? Or will there be a similar connection behind the factory business CD? I've wired my DICE kit back there and clearly saw a bluetooth connection wire, but the wire was quite a bit longer then what I have with this kit.
The connection you are talking about in the trunk is for the OEM bluetooth only.

The parrot has to be connected @ the back of the HU directly or via a wiring harness like the Connect2 or the QuickConnectProducts interface.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #926
CJPatel

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.325i View Post
The connection you are talking about in the trunk is for the OEM bluetooth only.

The parrot has to be connected @ the back of the HU directly or via a wiring harness like the Connect2 or the QuickConnectProducts interface.
Life saver, thanks so much man. I hate removing the trunk liner, as its really hard to fit back in perfectly!

I will post back to confirm this after my installation is complete on Sunday.

-CJ

DD -
2011 550i X - MSport
Weekend -
Ferrari F430 Spider - F1

Gone:
2008 Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Stratus White/Bitter Chocolate, coupe w/ Aston Martin Powerpack and Quicksilver exhaust
Old 04-07-2011, 01:40 PM   #927
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Turko
Hi mate,

Im literally just about to retrofit nav into my UK e46 (your guides on here and e46zone have been very useful).

At the same time im installing the parrot kit (I know I know, its going to be a busy few days.

But, what I really need to know is the retrofit loom. Does the parrot sound feed into loom pre BM54. Or does it feed into it after the BM54?

Reason I ask is, If I want to tap a 4ch amp into the loom, really I need to know whether to take it from upfront, or simply from the BM54 - as obviously the bluetooth sound needs to go to the speakers.

Thanks,
The CTPPAR007 kit only taps into the preloom because it does NOT have the same flat pin connector as the BM53/BM54 radios. The CTPPAR007 has the round pin connector/adapter so you would connect it at the front into the original BMW radio connectors.
CTPPAR007:

However if you get a CTPPAR008 kit it connects to the flat pin connectors of the BM53/BM54 radios.
And would connect in the trunk.
CTPPAR008:

The difference:

BM53/BM54 radio:

CD53 radio:

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #928
CJPatel

SOOO:

I installed the bluetooth. The hardest part was removing the vents and trying to put the C/A piece up in the vent area. I overcame the vent issue by pulling up then out from the bottom. I overcame moving the C/A peice by pushing it to the more open side and putting it up and through.

The problem I am having now, is that people cannot hear me! I installed the mic into the OEM Mic location, but I'm thinking its going to have to be moved. Has anyone come up with clever ways to come around this, or can people hear you loud and clearly?

When I tested it, I held the mic close to my face and there were 0 problems.

DD -
2011 550i X - MSport
Weekend -
Ferrari F430 Spider - F1

Gone:
Old 04-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #929
JLondon

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
See my post about mic location... http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...&postcount=736
JLondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:54 PM   #930
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLondon View Post
I essentially did the same thing, but I hung min under the oem location.

Since then I have relocated mine to the top side of the rear view mirror.

Believe it or not, but I kept knocking the mic off it's mounting when dropping my son off to schools & putting on his backpack. I have no idea how this can happen, but it was pretty repetitive.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:20 PM   #931
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
looks like the prices for the bluetooth kit went up.
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:12 PM   #932
CJPatel

The prices have seem to gone up, but still worth it. I just ordered a second kit for my dads friend it cost about 170.

I also redid my mic location, first I swaped the sunroof and mic locations and next I didnt use the double sided tape, but instead taped the mic flat against the hole lines against the mic holder, and kind of formed a cacoon around it on the inside. People have a better chance of hearing me this way.

DD -
2011 550i X - MSport
Weekend -
Ferrari F430 Spider - F1

Gone:
Old 05-17-2011, 02:15 PM   #933
hillsider

My Ride: 2000 323i
For sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom3 View Post
looks like the prices for the bluetooth kit went up.
I installed this kit about 6 months ago and it has worked flawlessly, as others have noted, I first tried the OEM mic location, but it sounded a little garbled on the other end of the calls, so I relocated the mic to the rearview mirror.
Last week my factory cd player went nuts! It constantly tries to eject a cd that is non existent! Powering off the radio does not stop it! Shutting off the car does not stop it! It killed my battery while I was on vacation ... so I replaced the head unit with a Pioneer.
The Pioneer has bluetooth built in, so I will be listing my kit on eBay later this week unless someone from the board wants to make an offer first.
2004 MINI Cooper S
2005 MINI Cooper S
2000 Buell Blast

Last edited by hillsider; 05-17-2011 at 02:20 PM.
hillsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:50 PM   #934
naginalf

My Ride: 325XIT
My first question is a repeat of one earlier that didn't get answered; If you are already splicing into the speakers, why not just splice into the stock telephone speaker? Wiring into the stock stereo speakers is not ideal. Is there a convenient wire for this and does anyone know where that is or what color it is in the harness?

My second question I'll preface with the fact that I use my phone for music through the Aux input. I read through the forum for a way to do it through bluetooth, but it looks like the parrot just ties into the speakers on it's own. The phone can connect to multiple bluetooth devices, so has anyone gotten a bluetooth audio source device to connect to the aux input? It can't be all that difficult, could probably just hack up a set of cheap bluetooth stereo headphones (monoprice: $15!), could probably use it to wire the buttons on the headphones to the connect2 system to use the steering wheel instead. I'll look into that. Speaking of which, what exactly is the connect2 system doing, is it just making the steering wheel buttons more accessible/spliced?

Third question, if this setup is simply adding bluetooth connectivity for calls, what advantage does this have over the stock bluetooth setup for the 2001+ models, or is this only an advantage for '98-'01s?
naginalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:41 PM   #935
msa6

My Ride: 330ci
New Bluetooth Install; Help on Resistor Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.325i View Post
Sorry for the confusion. Yes, the resistor mod only needs to be done in one location - not all three.

On new installations I would recommend changing the 1k0 resistor inside the blue parrot box to a 1k33. This is the easiest & cheapest way.

The patch cable was an easy way for me to help another member out who wasn't confident in his solder abilities.

re: mic placement. yes I still have mine mic exposed, hanging from the oem position - not tucked away.

If I had to do it again, I would copy the install in my wife kia & position it on the top/left corner of the rearview mirror. I have almost moved mine to this location but I will have to get a replacement cover for the oem location.
I have the pieces and am going to do the install this weekend. But I gather I should look at doing the resistor mod and, per Steve.325i I should do it on the Blue Parrot box, and not the mic. Sounds good...but can someone give my dumbed down instructions on what I'll want to buy (including where...guessing Radio Shack) and precisely what I'll want to do? Think I have a soldering iron or can borrow one. And I know how to plug it in. But that's about all I know.

Many thanks.
msa6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:30 AM   #936
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa6 View Post
I have the pieces and am going to do the install this weekend. But I gather I should look at doing the resistor mod and, per Steve.325i I should do it on the Blue Parrot box, and not the mic. Sounds good...but can someone give my dumbed down instructions on what I'll want to buy (including where...guessing Radio Shack) and precisely what I'll want to do? Think I have a soldering iron or can borrow one. And I know how to plug it in. But that's about all I know.

Many thanks.
I definitely recommend the mod inside the parrot box over adding a resistor in the mic.

More detail when I am back in town in a couple days.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #937
GMrc51

My Ride: 2001 325 coupe topaz
On the cheap and easy....Jabra Cruiser..less than $75..w fm transmitter....

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
GMrc51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:19 AM   #938
darkmanlfe

My Ride: rocket propelled 323
Send a message via AIM to darkmanlfe
installed today. works great after i repositioned the mic closer.

i did break the vent from pulling too hard. no big deal, it's covered with my motonav.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:46 PM   #939
SaN NizZLe

I have this Bluetooth setup already in my car but am having trouble syncing up my Verizon iPhone to it? Tried multiple times and it just doesn't recognize it even with the latest OS installed....worked fine with my ATT iphone??

Anyone else having this problem?
SaN NizZLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:24 PM   #940
SaN NizZLe

anyone?
SaN NizZLe is offline   Reply With Quote