E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 77 votes, 4.90 average.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:02 AM   #1001
bmwmen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 54
My Ride: E46 323Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcardona111793 View Post
i dont have the sunroof, there is a little grill think on my roof.. i just popped tht off
I don't have a grill in my ceiling. It is just ceiling all the way and at the front there is a light directly fitted. Maybe there is a difference between the europe and US models?
bmwmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:01 PM   #1002
ZZen330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,141
My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Okay someone must have tried Siri from iPhone 4S with this Parrot setup right?!?!

Can you trigger the Siri thing by pressing the steering wheel button similar to this video? (note this is not Siri/iphone4 but previous iphone voice dialing)

Main thing I want to know is if voice dialing works well.

Also, as a bonus I'm wondering if you can use the steering wheel button to trigger Siri and then give a command like "text mom" and then dictate a text...or "read unread text"..all without touching the phone.

Thx!
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:18 PM   #1003
samson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: so cal-murrieta
Posts: 192
My Ride: 05' 330i
Send a message via AIM to samson
Does the OEM bluetooth module found in an 05 have voice command? I'm guessing no?
samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:51 PM   #1004
ZZen330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,141
My Ride: 2002 330Ci
OEM BT can't use the phones voice commands only the OEM built in voice commands from what I can recall.
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:45 PM   #1005
steve.325i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 763
My Ride: 2003 325i
I am no help ... sorry ... That's pretty cool though if you can actually dictate a text message !!
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:00 PM   #1006
delmarco
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 6,303
My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZen330 View Post
OEM BT can't use the phones voice commands only the OEM built in voice commands from what I can recall.
This is true. There is even a voice command sheet, showing what commands does what, that is an addendum to either the bluetooth retrofit kits or the bluetooth/telephony booklet that comes with the car.

There is a PDF file of it floating around the forums and internet.
__________________




VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:10 AM   #1007
fsfikke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 51
My Ride: '03 320Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZen330 View Post
Okay someone must have tried Siri from iPhone 4S with this Parrot setup right?!?!

Can you trigger the Siri thing by pressing the steering wheel button similar to this video? (note this is not Siri/iphone4 but previous iphone voice dialing)

Main thing I want to know is if voice dialing works well.

Also, as a bonus I'm wondering if you can use the steering wheel button to trigger Siri and then give a command like "text mom" and then dictate a text...or "read unread text"..all without touching the phone.

Thx!
If this works I'm gonna buy a Parrot etc. right away!
fsfikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:58 AM   #1008
samson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: so cal-murrieta
Posts: 192
My Ride: 05' 330i
Send a message via AIM to samson
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
This is true. There is even a voice command sheet, showing what commands does what, that is an addendum to either the bluetooth retrofit kits or the bluetooth/telephony booklet that comes with the car.

There is a PDF file of it floating around the forums and internet.
hmmm i've looked over the bluetooth booklet that came with the car and as far as I remember it just goes through the process of pairing etc..

edit: something i didn't think about.. does voice command require navi? I don't have navi

Last edited by samson; 10-17-2011 at 11:02 AM.
samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:10 AM   #1009
Jimi158
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 221
My Ride: '99 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZen330 View Post
Okay someone must have tried Siri from iPhone 4S with this Parrot setup right?!?!
Yep, I can confirm. I just installed the kit and tried with my 4s when I picked it up on Friday.

Siri is activated with a short press of the speech button (just like voice control was activated before). I'll try to post a rundown later after work, but one of the limitations I've noticed is the R/T button doesn't "hang up" on a Siri conversation. I have to manually press the iPhone's home or lock button to turn off the bluetooth phone connection.

~Ross
Jimi158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:23 AM   #1010
ZZen330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,141
My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi158 View Post
Yep, I can confirm. I just installed the kit and tried with my 4s when I picked it up on Friday.

Siri is activated with a short press of the speech button (just like voice control was activated before). I'll try to post a rundown later after work, but one of the limitations I've noticed is the R/T button doesn't "hang up" on a Siri conversation. I have to manually press the iPhone's home or lock button to turn off the bluetooth phone connection.

~Ross
Great looking forward to a rundown of 4s with parrot.

Interesting that the R/T steering wheel button won't end a Siri conversation. Not a big deal as long as during an actual phone call (even if initiated by Siri) the R/T button will end the call and the BT session will close with music resuming.
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:16 PM   #1011
Elsamo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: East Bay Area, CA
Posts: 99
My Ride: 2004 325 Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZen330 View Post
Great looking forward to a rundown of 4s with parrot.

Interesting that the R/T steering wheel button won't end a Siri conversation. Not a big deal as long as during an actual phone call (even if initiated by Siri) the R/T button will end the call and the BT session will close with music resuming.
I got the R/T button to hang up a call after voice dial but you do have to use the home button on the phone to exit out (for example to return to music after a call).

Got her to do do some pretty awesome stuff in addition to the voice dialing - navigate using the google maps app, playing a specific artist/playlist, looking up nearby restaurants, etc.

I was thrilled with both the bluetooth functionality and with the new phone, but the combination of siri and steering controls makes both better!
Elsamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:10 PM   #1012
ZZen330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,141
My Ride: 2002 330Ci
elsamo - thanks for the info as it seems jimi didn't come back...

what about siri reading your texts to you through the car speakers? or dictating a text?

So if I'm listening to say the car radio (not iphone music), then I hit the steering wheel button to activate Siri..I say "call mom" and get into a phone call, then I hit R/T button it will end the call but it won't go back to my radio music without me also having to manually exit the Siri screen directly on the phone? That's a shame.
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:15 PM   #1013
ZZen330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,141
My Ride: 2002 330Ci
According to this video of Siri making a BT call on a Pioneer car stereo, that pressing the 'end call' button can kill the BT link and let the radio resume playing without manually exiting Siri. In the vid he presses the phones "end call" button, but with the Parrot the cars' R/T button is kinda the same thing I think?
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:31 PM   #1014
ZZen330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,141
My Ride: 2002 330Ci
This post of a Parrot ck3000 user doesn't sound promising: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1254956

"Hi

I have a parott cki3000 car kit with v.latest v5 firmware on it which I installed in car just this week.

When I press the voice dial button and say read my text it works 1 in every 10 times. Has anyone else had any issues with car kits and Siri? It's even worse asking it to write a text.

I can't put it down to background noise as its the same when I am pulled up in the car."
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:44 AM   #1015
e46frvr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 245
My Ride: 02 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmen View Post
I just received my CK300 Evolution and CTPPAR008 cable loom. However i was wondering now for a while the following. What if you don't have a sun roof. Where to place the microphone, i do have an idea but was wondering what is a normal spot for this.
I thought all e46's need CTPPAR007 according to the OP.

I have a 2002 330i with the Harmon Kardon Radio.
How can I check what the radio type is? Model number I mean.

Will I need CTPPAR007 or CTPPAR008?

PS: This is well under 100 right now because of the forex rate!
e46frvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:38 PM   #1016
Elsamo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: East Bay Area, CA
Posts: 99
My Ride: 2004 325 Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZen330 View Post
elsamo - thanks for the info as it seems jimi didn't come back...

what about siri reading your texts to you through the car speakers? or dictating a text?

So if I'm listening to say the car radio (not iphone music), then I hit the steering wheel button to activate Siri..I say "call mom" and get into a phone call, then I hit R/T button it will end the call but it won't go back to my radio music without me also having to manually exit the Siri screen directly on the phone? That's a shame.
I just tested it and if you say something like "read me my new text messages" she'll do it. Its pretty slick.

Tried to have her read my new emails read as well, but siri wasn't having that...

You can also dictate texts by either saying something like "text (so&so) (this message)" but the dictation is a bit spotty. Really useful for one word responses, or "on my way" - stuff like that. Once you're read a text you can also tell her to reply to it.

I'll experiment a little more on the "end call" button and see what i come up with.
Elsamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:46 PM   #1017
Elsamo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: East Bay Area, CA
Posts: 99
My Ride: 2004 325 Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZen330 View Post
According to this video of Siri making a BT call on a Pioneer car stereo, that pressing the 'end call' button can kill the BT link and let the radio resume playing without manually exiting Siri. In the vid he presses the phones "end call" button, but with the Parrot the cars' R/T button is kinda the same thing I think?
Could be the firmware, but as far as i can tell my R/T button doesnt do
Elsamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:03 AM   #1018
ZZen330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,141
My Ride: 2002 330Ci
elsamo - thanks for the info, too bad about the R/T button not sending it back to radio music. Maybe it does when you receive a call though...
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:44 AM   #1019
alx.325i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 14
My Ride: 02 325i
I just completed this DIY w/ Parrot CK3000 EVO and Connects2. I got it to say 'Paired Successful' but my phone (DROID X) says 'Paired but not connected' and its not working.

I'm running Parrot w/firmware V5.11C. I'm assuming thats my problem. How do you update firmware on the Parrot? Or might it be a phone setting why its Pairing, but not Connecting?

Last edited by alx.325i; 10-28-2011 at 02:52 AM.
alx.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:50 AM   #1020
bobafuzz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: MN
Posts: 9
My Ride: 330xi
If you're using android you need firmware 5.25 and the programming cable from some uk shop or else the connection is hit or miss, mine wouldn't connect at all, there's a work around in this thread http://forum.parrot.com/usa/viewtopic.php?id=4746, it only worked for me half of the time so i ended up buying the cable, pain in the ass

http://www.parrot.com/documents/en/s...tion_notes.txt

http://www.justcarkits.co.uk/acatalo...ng_cables.html
bobafuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use