E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 4.58 average.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #1041
UdubBadger

My Ride: 04 IR/IR 6MT M3
awesome gonna probably try this... or just add a navi

3 pedals
UdubBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #1042
sadcaper

My Ride: 2001 M5 S3
I am in the process of doing this upgrade but cannot for the life of unplug my radio!!! I have the antennas unplugged but the big connector won't come out and I'm hesitant to pull really hard for fear of breaking. I raised the black plastic piece seemingly as far as it will go, but it won't budge off the back. Do I just pull it off once the plastic is raised a bit? Some other weird Jedi trick? I've tried prying it off and it's not moving. Any help or ideas???
2001 M5 S3 #5
1999 323i
sadcaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #1043
e46frvr

My Ride: 02 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadcaper View Post
I am in the process of doing this upgrade but cannot for the life of unplug my radio!!! I have the antennas unplugged but the big connector won't come out and I'm hesitant to pull really hard for fear of breaking. I raised the black plastic piece seemingly as far as it will go, but it won't budge off the back. Do I just pull it off once the plastic is raised a bit? Some other weird Jedi trick? I've tried prying it off and it's not moving. Any help or ideas???
The plastic needs to be raised almost as high as the connector itself. Meaning the clip that holds it down is the same height as the connector itself.

I hope I remember correctly here. Good luck!
WTB: Short shifter kit --Clear/smoked corners -- Clear/smoked side markers -- LED tails -- Angel eyes
e46frvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #1044
e46frvr

The mic in the original location is causing lots of engine/road noise disturbance on the phone. So I am leaving the mic hanging off for now (a little). It looks bad but works great.
Any other ideas on what I can try?
WTB: Short shifter kit --Clear/smoked corners -- Clear/smoked side markers -- LED tails -- Angel eyes
Old 01-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #1045
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Yes, as e46frfr said, pry the retaining plastic higher & the connector should come free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46frvr View Post
The mic in the original location is causing lots of engine/road noise disturbance on the phone. So I am leaving the mic hanging off for now (a little). It looks bad but works great.
Any other ideas on what I can try?
I ended up moving my mic to the upper edge of the rearview mirror.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #1046
e46frvr

Quote:
The plastic needs to be raised almost as high as the connector itself. Meaning the clip that holds it down is the same height as the connector itself.

I hope I remember correctly here. Good luck!
Also, play with the connector that you got with the connects2 adapter. You'll see that once the clip is moved up all the way, it actually forces the connector to disconnect. Really good design
Old 01-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #1047
sadcaper

Ahhh got it! Thanks! Worked like a charm. Got everything in and all connected now and the only issue I'm having is the phone isn't auto-pairing. If I go into my iPhone and actually select the Parrot device, it will connect. However, it won't auto pair. I thought it would auto pair when the car started. I can hear the Parrot click on and the radio pauses for a second, but the phone doesn't connect unless I manually do it. Any thoughts?
2001 M5 S3 #5
1999 323i
Old 01-21-2012, 01:37 PM   #1048
e46frvr

Quote:
Ahhh got it! Thanks! Worked like a charm. Got everything in and all connected now and the only issue I'm having is the phone isn't auto-pairing. If I go into my iPhone and actually select the Parrot device, it will connect. However, it won't auto pair. I thought it would auto pair when the car started. I can hear the Parrot click on and the radio pauses for a second, but the phone doesn't connect unless I manually do it. Any thoughts?
My blackberry bold 2 pairs about 3-5 mins into my drive (I forget until then that I've got Bluetooth now lol.

My cheapo AT&T F160(?) connects instantly.

Hopefully someone can chime in on how to resolve this
Old 01-21-2012, 09:30 PM   #1049
steve.325i

Quote:
I can hear the Parrot click on and the radio pauses for a second, but the phone doesn't connect unless I manually do it. Any thoughts?
When you say you hear it 'click on', it also does a single tone ping, correct? The parrot only makes that sound when it has sucessfully paired. If you then turn off your phone (with the car still running) and hear a two-tone ping (and it gets repeated one time again) then that is the parrot loosing the BT pairing.

Quote:
My blackberry bold 2 pairs about 3-5 mins into my drive (I forget until then that I've got Bluetooth now lol.
If your bb is taking that long to pair, then it is not the primary BT device in the parrots memory.

Clear the parrots memory and repair using you bb first.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:28 AM   #1050
sadcaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.325i View Post
When you say you hear it 'click on', it also does a single tone ping, correct? The parrot only makes that sound when it has sucessfully paired. If you then turn off your phone (with the car still running) and hear a two-tone ping (and it gets repeated one time again) then that is the parrot loosing the BT pairing.
I think so, however it definitely does not pair because you can see on the phone when it's paired. I haven't given it 5 minutes yet to see if it will eventually pair, so maybe I'll do that. My M5 pairs immediately.

Quote:
If your bb is taking that long to pair, then it is not the primary BT device in the parrots memory.

Clear the parrots memory and repair using you bb first.
How do you clear the parrots memory? Mine was brand new so not sure how it wouldn't be the first in its memory, but might be worth a reset. Thanks!
2001 M5 S3 #5
1999 323i
Old 01-22-2012, 08:42 PM   #1051
steve.325i

Quote:
How do you clear the parrots memory? Mine was brand new so not sure how it wouldn't be the first in its memory, but might be worth a reset. Thanks!
I am not using the connect2 cable - I have the audicom SW101C steering wheel i/f so resetting it is a little different.

I believe when you are using the connect2 interface, you still have the original parrot UI connected, correct? If so, push and hold both the red & green buttons at the same time until you hear “Memory erasing in progress. Please Wait”. Then about 2 seconds later you will hear “Memory Erased. Please pair Device”.

Yes, it is recommended to reset a device even when it is being installed for the first time. This doesn’t seem to be in the manual. I think I read it in the FAQ or support on the parrot website. Pairing data from the functional testing during manufacturing is not guaranteed to be erased.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #1052
sadcaper

Quote:
I believe when you are using the connect2 interface, you still have the original parrot UI connected, correct? If so, push and hold both the red & green buttons at the same time until you hear “Memory erasing in progress. Please Wait”. Then about 2 seconds later you will hear “Memory Erased. Please pair Device”.[/SIZE][/FONT]
Thanks! I'll give it a shot.
2001 M5 S3 #5
1999 323i
Old 01-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #1053
sadcaper

Quote:
Thanks! I'll give it a shot.
Well I did, and unfortunately it made no difference. It erased memory and I had to repair an put in code (1234) and then it connected. So I turned off car, then back into 3rd position so all electronics are on to see if it would connect again.

Unfortunately it didn't. It would beep and click on, but the phone never actually connects. When I go into settings on my phone it's there, but says Not Connected. I click on it and then it connects.

Are there any settings within the Parrot that would make it auto connect or not? Any other tricks???
2001 M5 S3 #5
1999 323i
Old 01-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #1054
steve.325i

Quote:
Well I did, and unfortunately it made no difference. It erased memory and I had to repair an put in code (1234) and then it connected. So I turned off car, then back into 3rd position so all electronics are on to see if it would connect again.

Unfortunately it didn't. It would beep and click on, but the phone never actually connects. When I go into settings on my phone it's there, but says Not Connected. I click on it and then it connects.

Are there any settings within the Parrot that would make it auto connect or not? Any other tricks???
Ah, on my bb i had to set the BT connection to TRUSTED for it to autoconnect. Options were Promt/Yes/No/Silent. Do you have the same option on your phone?

btw - sorry about wasting your time with the parrot reset.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:37 PM   #1055
sadcaper

Quote:
Ah, on my bb i had to set the BT connection to TRUSTED for it to autoconnect. Options were Promt/Yes/No/Silent. Do you have the same option on your phone?

btw - sorry about wasting your time with the parrot reset.
Hey no worries. Glad you're trying to help!

No I don't have those options. All I have is "Forget this Device" which I did when I reset it. It's an iPhone.

Hmmm maybe I'll contact Parrot?
2001 M5 S3 #5
1999 323i
Old 01-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #1056
sadcaper

Dang another issue. So when plugging in the connector from the Connects package to the radio, are you supposed to plug back in the CD changer wire as well?

The reason I ask is I also have the Dice Duo iPod hookup and since this install I'm not getting any sound from my iPhone. I'm guessing it's because I didn't plug in the cd changer wire again.

If so, that means I gotta take it all apart and try to get those dang vents out again...UGH!
2001 M5 S3 #5
1999 323i
Old 01-24-2012, 08:05 PM   #1057
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: a franken-e46 325i
prices have gone up since this DIY was first posted
so how much does this mod cost these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #1058
e46frvr

Quote:
Dang another issue. So when plugging in the connector from the Connects package to the radio, are you supposed to plug back in the CD changer wire as well?

The reason I ask is I also have the Dice Duo iPod hookup and since this install I'm not getting any sound from my iPhone. I'm guessing it's because I didn't plug in the cd changer wire again.

If so, that means I gotta take it all apart and try to get those dang vents out again...UGH!
Dice plugs into the cd changer port in the trunk right? If yes, I'm afraid you need to go back in there. The small blue cd changer plug in the original connector needs to be put into the new connector that goes into the head unit.

PS: for anyone else reading this, its probably a good idea to drive without vents for a few days
Old 01-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #1059
sadcaper

Quote:
Dice plugs into the cd changer port in the trunk right? If yes, I'm afraid you need to go back in there. The small blue cd changer plug in the original connector needs to be put into the new connector that goes into the head unit.

PS: for anyone else reading this, its probably a good idea to drive without vents for a few days
Yep it does. That's what I thought. DANG IT!!
2001 M5 S3 #5
1999 323i
Old 01-24-2012, 10:04 PM   #1060
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
prices have gone up since this DIY was first posted so how much does this mod cost these days?
If you get the Eclipse BT-E600 instead of the Parrot CK3000, you should save some money. Same Parrot box but with wiring specific for to plug directly into an Eclipse system. The wiring is not used/needed when you do a Connect2 install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
Ah, man that sucks !!!