E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 77 votes, 4.90 average.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:26 PM   #1101
bluefethers

My Ride: bmw,2004 325i
bluefethers

no not yet, i will take out the radio first( after procrastinating for a day or 2)lol.
bluefethers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:10 AM   #1102
Zell

My Ride: Has no throttle
Does this also support Bluetooth Music, or just phone?
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:47 AM   #1103
ZZen330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Does this also support Bluetooth Music, or just phone?
Just phone calls.
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #1104
bluefethers

bluefethers

Haven't bought yet,waiting for my bid to be accepted on ebay for a 3000 and ctpparoo7 together for $120 but removed my radio and confirmed it is a business c53 with 17 pin.I am beginning to realize that most venders are wrong about what will work and what wont work.You guys here know more than the venders
Old 05-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #1105
jayjay_dee

My Ride: '10 X5 35d, '05 ZHP
bluefethers, i sent you a pm...

for everybody else, i have this installed on my 2005 330i last winter, my weekend car... im replacing it with Enco B146 (navigation), if interested, PM me...
jayjay_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #1106
bluefethers

I just pulled off the overhead mic grill and there is a built in mic with the grill,so how could I use the parrot mic?
Old 05-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #1107
Ballistic325

My Ride: slow and steady
Just remove the mic and replace it with what comes with the Parrot kit. There is a DIY floating around which hooks up the factory mic, but it is up to you whether you want to go down that path.

CK3000 or Evo, it does not matter. Essentially they are the same device, just like a pre-face or facelift E46

I can help with
* Reading Codes / Coding your car
* R&R FCAs, Tie Rods, Sway links....
* RTABs

Need an RTAB tool? Or clutch fan and water pump tools? PM me.
Ballistic325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #1108
bluefethers

bluefethers

since the bmw mic and the grill is one peice i cannot install the parrot mike there,unless bmw has the grill without attached mike(is that possible?) do you think attaching the mic, via sticky footprint,to the bottom of the rear view mirror(its a flat surface) might work ok?
Old 05-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #1109
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Hi, I had my mic mounted below the oem mic location originally. I liked it but I found that I was knocking it off too much - especially when dropping my son off at school - his back pack seemed to hit it all the time. PLease don't ask me how. I can't figure it out ...

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/album.p...pictureid=8762

I ended up moving it to the top side of the rearview mirror.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:23 PM   #1110
bluefethers

bluefethers

thanks steve,did that work out good for you?
Old 05-09-2012, 02:49 AM   #1111
Ballistic325

^ to answer your question, yes it is possible to get a 'blank' to replace the OE mic with. It should be cheap from a wrecker or even dealer / online parts.

As for location, I am stll experimenting but the collective wisdom suggests that the OE location is best, plus it means for a totally hidden install!

I can help with
* RTABs

Old 05-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #1112
BM-MAN

My Ride: Hot 3 coupe
Send a message via MSN to BM-MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZen330 View Post
Just phone calls.
Is there a setup that would support a2dp bluetooth audio?
BM-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #1113
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefethers View Post
thanks steve,did that work out good for you?
Yes, I like having it on top of the mirror. I think I have had it there for 6-8 months. I would have to scan through old posts to make sure.
I tried the full stealth method first by putting the mic up behind the oem grill. The mic sensitivity was terrible.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #1114
Ballistic325

BM-MAN

yes, you can integrate other bluetooth solutions...
- Parrot MKi9xxx series
- Blackberry bluetooth music adapter (will require your HU to have AUX in)
- DICE / GROM / USA SPEC and similar manufacturers have A2DP streaming
- I am sure there are other solutions as well.... might take some hunting around on the web

I can help with
* RTABs

Old 05-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #1115
gnome

My Ride: 2003 325iT
Quick Question: I am installing a Parrot 3200 LS Color in my E46, but I am using the quickconnect connector as recommended by Parrot (model QCBMW-R, my Alpine head unit has round pins).

Loose connected everything, works well, but the head unit wont fit back in. Too many large connectors - I managed to place the blue Parrot module to the driver's side beside the vent but the cables are a no-go. The vent is removed like in the diagram but I can't get the "A" large connector to move up top near the vent, the plastic housing/shroud is preventing that. Any ideas without cutting the plastic? - just need to move the plastic shroud/frame around the radio and lower vent controls out a bit to get the cable routing done.

Any pics or suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 05-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #1116
steve.325i

you are probably done by now, but there is not enough room to push everything to the drivers side imo. I remember trying it & gave up.
I put the blue box behind the glovebox & ended up removing the iso connectors and making direct connects to get everything to fix.
Not the answer you are looking for.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4930_small.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	451318

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4931_small.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	451319
Old 05-13-2012, 08:22 AM   #1117
gnome

My Ride: 2003 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnome View Post
Quick Question: I am installing a Parrot 3200 LS Color in my E46, but I am using the quickconnect connector as recommended by Parrot (model QCBMW-R, my Alpine head unit has round pins).

Loose connected everything, works well, but the head unit wont fit back in. Too many large connectors - I managed to place the blue Parrot module to the driver's side beside the vent but the cables are a no-go. The vent is removed like in the diagram but I can't get the "A" large connector to move up top near the vent, the plastic housing/shroud is preventing that. Any ideas without cutting the plastic? - just need to move the plastic shroud/frame around the radio and lower vent controls out a bit to get the cable routing done.

Any pics or suggestions?

Thanks!
What a PIA! I went savage and removed the climate controls, and plastic bracket that supports everything in that area, then re-routed every up just under the 2 vents, and put everything back in - fits. The blue box is just flat under one vent on the passenger side. Mic is routed to its oem place in the sunroof control area - works like a charm.

Now that I have my brushed aliminum trim off, I am thinking I want black cube trim - anyone have black cube trim for touring/sedan for sale?
Old 05-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #1118
Reefin Dude

My Ride: a blue one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanRed View Post
This diy made me look at my mess of wires and scratch my head since it was so nice and easy and no splicing or cutting up wires. I used the exisiting wiring harness for the parrot and the qcbmw-r and made it work with no big issues. I took some pics for any body who has to run this setup of the wire schematics.

To answer Zzen's questions yes I was too much in a rush to wait unfortunately and to me right now the steering wheel contorls i can do with out.

Thanks Steve325i for your want to help. I took pics to send to you but was able to figure it out with some trial and error.

Having fun taking the middle exhaust vent out and fitting the mic in the headliner. freaking tight. goign to put it all in tonight. now that the harness is done
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnhamd View Post
I am studying electrical engineering at georgia tech.

My parts are on the way and I will have time next week to try to adapt the wiring. My plan is to directly connect some of the parrot cables to the plug in the trunk and bypass all the unnecessary stuff (speakers, mic). One of the connects 2 cables will probably not even be used and only about 4 pins from the other connects2 connector will be needed. IBUS, TEL ON, GROUND, maybe others I haven't completely written a pin conversion yet. I also have pinouts for the 54 trunk connector(i believe this is the ulf connector), the 25 pin trunk connector( apparently used some later models),
and the 17 pin connector for the radio. Now I just need to find the female versions of this plug so that I don't have to splice directly into the oem wiring harness.
does anybody have the pin outs for going the 54pin ULF connector instead of using the Connects2 adaptor discussed above? i do not want steering wheel controls for my phone. i have them mapped to another device and am hoping that just tapping into the harness without the Connects2 will keep my steering wheel buttons mapped the way they are. if it matters i have the Eclipse BT-E600.

Thanks,

G~
Reefin Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #1119
Reefin Dude

My Ride: a blue one.
for anybody interested, here is a list of the color codes for the parrot products and a fair amount of wiring diagrams for most car manufacturers.

i am still having a hard time finding the pin outs for the 54pin ULF connector, anybody?

thanks,

G~
Reefin Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #1120
InterlagosBlau

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
I have an eBay auction up for the CTPPAR007 parrot adapter if anyone is interested, its a little cheaper than you can find it online and its still in the box.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221049546966...#ht_500wt_1202