E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 48 votes, 4.83 average.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:41 PM   #101
andy_bee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: bc, canada
Posts: 100
My Ride: 01 330i sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelor View Post
I just got mine this morning. Ordered 16 days ago.
a few days extra for me, nearer christmas, but that isnt bad for regular post. Stuff from my folks to BC is at least 10-14 days
__________________
'01 330i ///M-Tech1 Sports Pack
andy_bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:57 PM   #102
andy_bee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: bc, canada
Posts: 100
My Ride: 01 330i sedan
So fitted it today. The instructions were a major help. The vent was tough to remove, so I used the butter knife, covered in masking tape to help it out did the trick.

The only thing I would add to the instructions is to make sure Connector B is routed around the back of the radio cage. I stupidly threaded mine through the big slot on the right and then the radio wouldnt slide all the way in.

I did have some off issues though. I got the unit to pair with the iPhone no problem, but then when I packaged all the cables up below the GM5, it wouldnt work properly. Try and make the call and it would fail and the radio would come back on. Pulled the cables back out, worked, pushed the cables back in, didn't....and repeat 3 times. Then went through each connector and everything is now stable and works.

Then the car wouldnt start, lights dimmed, air con turned it self off,,I assume its a drained battery as the ignition was on a fair bit this afternoon testing and with DRL in Canada, its probably drained it. Now on charage, so hopefully 2010 and the car will start well in tomorrow

Thanks for the guides. Great help
__________________
'01 330i ///M-Tech1 Sports Pack
andy_bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:36 PM   #103
steve.325i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 763
My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_bee View Post
So fitted it today. The instructions were a major help. The vent was tough to remove, so I used the butter knife, covered in masking tape to help it out did the trick.

The only thing I would add to the instructions is to make sure Connector B is routed around the back of the radio cage. I stupidly threaded mine through the big slot on the right and then the radio wouldnt slide all the way in.

I did have some off issues though. I got the unit to pair with the iPhone no problem, but then when I packaged all the cables up below the GM5, it wouldnt work properly. Try and make the call and it would fail and the radio would come back on. Pulled the cables back out, worked, pushed the cables back in, didn't....and repeat 3 times. Then went through each connector and everything is now stable and works.

Then the car wouldnt start, lights dimmed, air con turned it self off,,I assume its a drained battery as the ignition was on a fair bit this afternoon testing and with DRL in Canada, its probably drained it. Now on charage, so hopefully 2010 and the car will start well in tomorrow

Thanks for the guides. Great help
Yup, killed my battery during the install as well but I also installed new door speakers @ the same time. Just like you I was a bit concerned but charging it overnight brought it back. That was two months (or so) ago.

Damn DRL's ... lol.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:42 AM   #104
conciseusa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 7
My Ride: 2002 325i
Installed this yesterday, thanks for the killer how-to

Installed this bluetooth mod in my 2002 325i yesterday along with a new radio so now I have bluetooth and AUX input.

I had a bit of a struggle getting the center vent out. Found an easy way that may help someone. Take a hanger and cut it to get a straight wire, use pliers to put a 45 degree small hook at the end and use it to go into the center area of the vent, hook up to the gap where the vent connects to the air tube and use it to give a firm constant pull. Then when I worked the clips of the four corners of the vent in to unhook them, the vent popped right out.

Thanks again. Looking forward to your other DIYs.
conciseusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:58 AM   #105
e46bonestock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 188
My Ride: 325
I've installed the same pkg as delmarco, but I can't seem to tuck the wire into the top of the windscreen. It won't go in. I feel as if the adhesive to the windshield is there, and am afraid of prying into it. Can anyone help with this?

btw, I found it much easier by pushing out the climate control box and unscrewing the bracket holding it. what I've done is put the A-C connection to the left side of the centre vent. Then putting everything back in place. I couldn't tuck it behind the right side of where the spike that holds the Alpine radio unit. Before you put everything back or the glove box back, make sure the volume of the parrot is loud enough. I had to take it off to increase the volume on the parrot in the frigid cold.

Thanks delmarco for the DIY.

Last edited by e46bonestock; 01-03-2010 at 09:18 AM.
e46bonestock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:47 PM   #106
bimmerme74
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: mt. kisco
Posts: 16
My Ride: 2004 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
PART FOUR: Setting up your MIC























And that is it you are done!



I been getting a few PMs from folks with GPS Factory Navigation units looking for the 17 pin A Connector in their cars or wondering if they have the same connections.

From what I can tell you do have the same A Connector but it is location in the trunk with the GPS Computer ECU/DVD module.

and it will look like this






So you will need to hook up the parrot ck3000 and ctppar007 all in this trunk space and run the mic thru to the cabin dash area. The ck3000 mic wire is long enough to pass thru the firewall into the cabin along the driver's side and you can place it on the dash or A p!llar column. If it is short you can get a mic cable extender at Radio Shack or any electronics store.

Hi,

if i need to listen to my song from my BB(playlist), does it work with this connection?

thanks
bimmerme74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:05 PM   #107
farmdog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Omaha Nebraska
Posts: 693
My Ride: Acura TL
How many phones can you pair with the unit?
__________________
farmdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:16 PM   #108
AMCINK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Northern Cali
Posts: 571
My Ride: 2000 323CI
Is this only to pair phones via bluetooth and use it handsfree - or would it also work for the iphone and play music in your stereo from the iphone???
AMCINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:46 PM   #109
Mike00135
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cyprus
Posts: 23
My Ride: BMW
4 phones!
Mike00135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:55 PM   #110
Mike00135
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cyprus
Posts: 23
My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmdog View Post
How many phones can you pair with the unit?
4 phones!!
Mike00135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:26 PM   #111
farmdog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Omaha Nebraska
Posts: 693
My Ride: Acura TL
My car is telling me the memory is full...
What do I do?
__________________
farmdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:11 PM   #112
steve.325i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 763
My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmdog View Post
My car is telling me the memory is full...
What do I do?
You have to reset the Parrot.

I don't know the procedure with the connect2. You may have to hook up the parrot controller to do it.

With the quickconnect I ca reset it like this:

Resetting the car kit:
Press
VOLUME & then VOLUME + 5 times

btw - I believe the number of phones that you can pair with is THREE, not FOUR.

steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:15 PM   #113
farmdog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Omaha Nebraska
Posts: 693
My Ride: Acura TL
do i need the ignition on?
__________________
farmdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:28 PM   #114
steve.325i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 763
My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmdog View Post
do i need the ignition on?
Yes, because the Parrot system has to be live.

But I don't know the reset procedure for the connect2.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:30 PM   #115
steve.325i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 763
My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMCINK View Post
Is this only to pair phones via bluetooth and use it handsfree - or would it also work for the iphone and play music in your stereo from the iphone???
Only handsfree wit the ck3000.

Other models from Parrot support what they call 'streaming'.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:15 AM   #116
farmdog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Omaha Nebraska
Posts: 693
My Ride: Acura TL
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.325i View Post
You have to reset the Parrot.

I don't know the procedure with the connect2. You may have to hook up the parrot controller to do it.

With the quickconnect I ca reset it like this:

Resetting the car kit:
Press
VOLUME & then VOLUME + 5 times

btw - I believe the number of phones that you can pair with is THREE, not FOUR.



To reset the kit I had to take the glove box out and reset the controller by pressing the red and green button at the same time. It worked.

You can only pair 3 phones with this.

Thanks guys....great mod..easy DIY...and pretty cheap.

You cant go wrong with this one
__________________
farmdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:28 AM   #117
steve.325i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 763
My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmdog View Post
To reset the kit I had to take the glove box out and reset the controller by pressing the red and green button at the same time. It worked.

You can only pair 3 phones with this.

Thanks guys....great mod..easy DIY...and pretty cheap.

You cant go wrong with this one
Glad you are up & running.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:06 AM   #118
mjmiske
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 4
My Ride: 2003 325i
Huge props to delmarco for the detailed posting. I just got the wiring harness in the mail yesterday, so this will be a Saturday morning project. Got both parts from ebay, the Parrot for $61 (free shipping) and the harness for $95. Still a great deal at just over $150.
mjmiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:52 PM   #119
Mike00135
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cyprus
Posts: 23
My Ride: BMW
Stalk controls

hi there again. does anyone knows what does "STALK CONTROLS" do an a bmw? i have found this in the internet. it says that it also works with the steering wheel buttons.. any idea?
Mike00135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:40 PM   #120
delmarco
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 6,287
My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike00135 View Post
hi there again. does anyone knows what does "STALK CONTROLS" do an a bmw? i have found this in the internet. it says that it also works with the steering wheel buttons.. any idea?
The stalk controls the OBC function display (clock, fuel, temp, mileage) not the Bluetooth.

On earlier BMW models like the E36 there was a third stalk for the cruise control function which became steering wheel buttons on our E46.

I think BMW bought back the cruise control stalk in the later model BMWs like the E90s.

Either way none of this has anything to do with this DIY.
There is no stalk for bluetooth or telephony on the E46
__________________




VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use