E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 61 votes, 4.87 average.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:53 PM   #121
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Sweet sig delmarco !!!

steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:14 PM   #122
JLondon

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
After Liquidice shipped me the wrong part (CTPPAR008) and not wanting to ship me the correct part (CTPPAR007) until they receive the wrong one back, 6 weeks later I have all the right parts and will probably do the install next weekend...also purchased a BMW Homelink since I'll be pulling the overhead console down anyway.

Great write-up. Hopefully it's as easy as it seems.
JLondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:49 AM   #123
ilbmwista

My Ride: 320 ci
great job!congratulation
Old 01-12-2010, 12:32 PM   #124
Wreckless

My Ride: E60 528xi
NICE!! I'll be doing this and the Homelink install in the near future (when it gets a bit warmer out)
Old 01-13-2010, 05:23 AM   #125
rif325i

My Ride: 2002 325i
This DIY is crazy easy (except for vents!!!). Dont be afraid to put some muscle into it. You may have to change the mic placement a bit. i definitely suggest testing your mic locations while driving.
rif325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:00 PM   #126
starsky

My Ride: 2001 325i
Thinking about doing this to save some dough, since I really want to keep the stock head unit. Does it get here faster getting it from eBay or lowcostcaraudio? Also, I plan on getting the Dice silverline "radio" installation unit (not the trunk installation), does this affect that at all? Thanks for the write up.
starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:27 PM   #127
andy_bee

My Ride: 01 330i sedan
so been using this for a few weeks and great. I ended up with the mic stuck onto the outside of the little vent and I've had no complaints. For some reason my volume buttons dont work with the iphone/parrot/connect2 set up, which seems odd...but I know I can adjust the default volume on the controller...which thankfully I located in the glovebox
Old 01-16-2010, 03:04 PM   #128
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsky View Post
Thinking about doing this to save some dough, since I really want to keep the stock head unit. Does it get here faster getting it from eBay or lowcostcaraudio? Also, I plan on getting the Dice silverline "radio" installation unit (not the trunk installation), does this affect that at all? Thanks for the write up.
Nope. I have Sirius and had a Dice unit hooked up (momentarily) and everything worked fine and in total harmony with the Bluetooth.

Here is video proof:

The only thing is that the post-2002 Alpine BMW Business CD53 Radio with the MODE button operates slightly different that the older Blaupunkt BMW Business CD53 units which I originally had in my car.

Since I upgraded my car to the newer 2006 Alpine CD53 unit (in order to get Sirius/iPod/MP3) I realized:

1. The Bluetooth to Phone Connection is ALWAYS on with the car being on even if the Radio is turned off. On the Blaupunk unit the Bluetooth would disconnect when the Radio was powered off. The older Blaupunkt operates better with the ck3000 in my opinion. Here is why;

With the Alpine CD53 the obvious problem with connecting your phone to a Head Unit when that HEad Unit is powered off is that you loose the ability of the car's speaker AND the full ability of the steering wheel buttons. What it does is allow partial access to the steering wheel buttons when the radio is off. You cannot voice dial or voice command thru the mic. In this state the phone is still connected to the car BUT all voice functions are done thru the handset's mic and speaker.

2. Also on the newer Alpine CD53 head unit turning the radio from on to off and back to on again during bluetooth connection will cause you to loose the voice command function and car speaker UNTIL you turn off the car and turn on the car again. I haven't figured out why this is and I believe I just may have to unplug and reconnect everything again and repair my phone to the new set up in the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsky View Post
Thinking about doing this to save some dough, since I really want to keep the stock head unit. Does it get here faster getting it from eBay or lowcostcaraudio?
eBay was pretty fast for me. 2 weeks or 8-10 business days I think. Best days to buy it is a Friday-Sunday so that way they ship it Monday and that gives you 5 of the 10 business day in one week and this way you get it the following week thurday - sat.

Don't buy it wednesday or it will feel like a long time to ship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_bee View Post
so been using this for a few weeks and great. I ended up with the mic stuck onto the outside of the little vent and I've had no complaints. For some reason my volume buttons dont work with the iphone/parrot/connect2 set up, which seems odd...but I know I can adjust the default volume on the controller...which thankfully I located in the glovebox
Before anything always make sure the controller is conneceted to the blue box firmly. Also the volume seems to be a mystery to me. I'm not sure how or whether the radio knob controls the volume of the handset during a call but the steering wheel buttons seem to do a better job of it.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 01-16-2010 at 03:22 PM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:17 PM   #129
JLondon

Kudos for a great DIY write-up. Just completed my install this afternoon...should've done it years ago!! Definitely NOT a 30-40 minute job the 1st time, maybe next time I can do it in under an hour

Here's a couple of tips/tricks/observations:

1) A little difficult to place connector "A" (original to radio) back towards the left of the vent. Especially after plugging in connector "C" first. Best to tuck it towards the back of the cage to the left and out of the way and then feed connector "B" to the back of the radio. Then plug connectors "A" and "C" together.

2) Just in case I ever need to use the Parrot controller (change language??, clear memory) I fed the controller to the glove box and mounted it with 3M molding tape to the left in the glove box, right near the flashlight/outlet jack.

3) Pulling the vent out takes a little elbow grease. No need for a butter knife or anything else, don't be afraid to yank on it hard and straight!!!...the vent that is

4) Much easier to unscrew the passenger visor holder on the left hand side when attempting to pull the headliner down to feed the microphone through.

Didn't think I might be able to enjoy my "ultimate driving machine" any more than I already do, but now I don't have to fool with a visor mounted handsfree that would work only some of the time. Gotta' go for a ride...and call my wife!!!
Old 01-17-2010, 04:18 PM   #130
borygoya

My Ride: 325i
Just did this DIY today. I have a 2003 325i, Business Class head unit. Great write up and easy to follow. Couple of questions:

1. I can't seem to get the steering wheel buttons to control the Parrot Unit. (Double checked the connections to make sure the Parrot Controller is plugged in). Using an Iphone 3G, which is paired and working fine with the radio. I can answer calls when choose the Parrot from the audio sources within the Iphone. Does the use of the Iphone 3G not allow the use of the steering wheel buttons?

2. The controller for the Parrot has green and red LEDs. Are they suppossed to light up or not? I was thinking that maybe this is the reason why I can't use the steering wheel buttons.

Other than that, everything seems to be working fine.
borygoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:34 AM   #131
e46bonestock

My Ride: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by borygoya View Post
Just did this DIY today. I have a 2003 325i, Business Class head unit. Great write up and easy to follow. Couple of questions:

1. I can't seem to get the steering wheel buttons to control the Parrot Unit. (Double checked the connections to make sure the Parrot Controller is plugged in). Using an Iphone 3G, which is paired and working fine with the radio. I can answer calls when choose the Parrot from the audio sources within the Iphone. Does the use of the Iphone 3G not allow the use of the steering wheel buttons?

2. The controller for the Parrot has green and red LEDs. Are they suppossed to light up or not? I was thinking that maybe this is the reason why I can't use the steering wheel buttons.

Other than that, everything seems to be working fine.
I think you have inverted the plug from the head unit to the blue box. I did that too. Flip it and it will light up.

I'm still having problems tucking in the wires on top of the windshield. It won't hold.
e46bonestock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:38 AM   #132
borygoya

My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46bonestock View Post
I think you have inverted the plug from the head unit to the blue box. I did that too. Flip it and it will light up.

I'm still having problems tucking in the wires on top of the windshield. It won't hold.
I was having the same problem, but here's what I did:

After feeding the mic through the overhead trim, where you mount it with the the sticky foot print, I pulled on the wire to get it to slide under the headliner. This is after I ran the wire on the top section of the A pillar and started to tuck it on the top corner edge of the headliner. Just run it and see if you can get a couple of areas to 'catch.' The headliner will give just enough to acomplish this. Then you pull on the wire from where you fed it through the opening over the rear view mirror and it will slide under the headliner.

I will try to see if I plugged in the controller the wrong way.

Thanks!!
borygoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:25 AM   #133
green1

My Ride: ox grn 02 325i
Talking same problem

first of all great write up delmarco!!! Everything was exactly the way it was written in the DIY. I am however having the same problem with the 'sturrin' wheel controls... i checked my wiring and everything is connected fine... will double check again in the morning (its raining with a chance of tornados in socal )...

any ideas???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Green1.gif
Views:	72
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	345467  

Last edited by green1; 01-20-2010 at 12:36 AM.
green1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:16 AM   #134
ZZen330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
One iphone user mentioned not being able to use the volume controls. Any other iPhone user experiencing this? I'm assuming this is a seperate issue from a couple users that don't seem to have any sterring wheel button control?

I was about to order this stuff, but guess I need to wait on more info (I'll be using an iPhone).
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:27 AM   #135
farmdog

My Ride: Acura TL
Your iphone has to be the 3gs.
The phone has to have voice dialing capabilities.

I have the 3gs and all is good....including the volume controll.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:38 PM   #136
green1

My Ride: ox grn 02 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by green1 View Post
first of all great write up delmarco!!! Everything was exactly the way it was written in the DIY. I am however having the same problem with the 'sturrin' wheel controls... i checked my wiring and everything is connected fine... will double check again in the morning (its raining with a chance of tornados in socal )...

any ideas???
SUCCESS!!!! I figured it out. The cable which i had inverted by accident was the cable connecting the CK3000 to the rest of the wiring harness that goes to the head unit and the blue box. When I looked at the two cables closer (can't remember which one but it is obvious after close inspection) one of the sides has rounded edges for the correct polarity. Once I switched it up, my steering wheel buttons were fully functional. Here is a pic of the connection which i had inverted...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Steering Wheel Adapter.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	345540  
green1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:59 PM   #137
JLondon

Quote:
Originally Posted by green1 View Post
SUCCESS!!!! I figured it out. The cable which i had inverted by accident was the cable connecting the CK3000 to the rest of the wiring harness that goes to the head unit and the blue box. When I looked at the two cables closer (can't remember which one but it is obvious after close inspection) one of the sides has rounded edges for the correct polarity. Once I switched it up, my steering wheel buttons were fully functional. Here is a pic of the connection which i had inverted...
In addition to the "rounded edges", I think the little plastic release matches the catch as well.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:49 AM   #138
ZZen330

What ebayer are you canadian guys getting the ck3000 from? It seem prices have really jumped on this thing? With the shipping cares to Canada I might as well get it from crutchfield.ca for 149 all in. Hurts knowing some of you got it for between 30-60 bucks!
Old 01-21-2010, 12:48 PM   #139
themendios

My Ride: 04 330ci
This is probably a retarded question - but what can this do exactly? Use the car stereo / mic for the phone?

I see voice command and start thinking Knight Ryder.
themendios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:03 PM   #140
ZZen330

Quote:
Originally Posted by themendios View Post
I see voice command and start thinking Knight Ryder.
LOL...wicked. "KITT engage Super pursuit mode!"

Seriously though, it's a bluetooth handsfree phone control system. If your phone allows voice dialing, then using this you can say "Call MOM" and it will dial as long as you already set this command up in your phone. I like the Knight Rider stuff better though!