E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 42 votes, 4.81 average.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:39 PM   #141
andy_bee

My Ride: 01 330i sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZen330 View Post
If your phone allows voice dialing, then using this you can say "Call MOM" and it will dial as long as you already set this command up in your phone. I like the Knight Rider stuff better though!
The magic word, 'IF' - IPhone 3GS has voice dailing, 3G doesnt.

I'll have to check my plug as I was also having trouble with the volume control option...but as I have to remove my Gen 5 soon, I'll do that then
Old 01-21-2010, 10:45 PM   #142
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
What ebayer are you canadian guys getting the ck3000 from? It seem prices have really jumped on this thing? With the shipping cares to Canada I might as well get it from crutchfield.ca for 149 all in. Hurts knowing some of you got it for between 30-60 bucks!
I bought mine from www.acsdistributors.com/ with the quickconnectcable, not the connect2, so I don't know what they charge for the ck3000 by itself.

They are in Calgary & the sent it to me can post for $10.

futureshop.ca no longer has this the ck3000 on their website, but you can still find them in the stores for $149.00
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:46 PM   #143
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by themendios View Post
This is probably a retarded question - but what can this do exactly? Use the car stereo / mic for the phone?

I see voice command and start thinking Knight Ryder.
Quote:
LOL...wicked. "KITT engage Super pursuit mode!"

Seriously though, it's a bluetooth handsfree phone control system. If your phone allows voice dialing, then using this you can say "Call MOM" and it will dial as long as you already set this command up in your phone. I like the Knight Rider stuff better though!
Only if your name is "Michael"
Old 01-21-2010, 11:24 PM   #144
delmarco

My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by themendios View Post
This is probably a retarded question - but what can this do exactly? Use the car stereo / mic for the phone?

I see voice command and start thinking Knight Ryder.
1. Enter BMW e46 vehicle with phone (you don't even have to take the phone out your pocket).

2. Start car and drive away.

3. Phone rings and you press button on steering wheel to answer phone

4. Want to call Mom or Dad or Work-press button on steering wheel and say "Call Mom" or "Call Dad" or "Call Work" or whoever you want to call that is stored in your phone

5. Want to check your phone's battery life and signal-press button on steering wheel and say "Check Status" (can only confirms this works with blackberries)

6. You talk into the space in your car (ie. the hidden Parrot's ck3000 Mic) and what the person on the other end of the phone is saying comes out the car's speakers (ie. via the Radio).

That is what this is.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:28 PM   #145
dudelove

My Ride: Hybrid E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.325i View Post
I bought mine from www.acsdistributors.com/ with the quickconnectcable, not the connect2, so I don't know what they charge for the ck3000 by itself.

They are in Calgary & the sent it to me can post for $10.

futureshop.ca no longer has this the ck3000 on their website, but you can still find them in the stores for $149.00
Is there any difference getting the Connects2 or QuickConnect wiring harness? They both will work with the steering wheel controls? The QuickConnect cable is less pricey shipped here.
dudelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:46 AM   #146
Suprafan99

My Ride: '03 325xi
Thanks so much for this, I was able to do this in about an hour last night. Without the DIY, I probably wouldn't have given it a shot myself.

I didn't have enough slack to route the connectors to the vent area, so I ended up pulling the AC control unit out (which just needed a bit of a push) and then I was able to wrap the cables and everything.

Thanks again!

Jonathan.
Suprafan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:24 PM   #147
Clod

My Ride: 330Ci
Has anybody attempted this in a car that is pre-wired for bluetooth? It would be great to use the pre-wired harnesses if possible.
Clod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:28 PM   #148
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clod View Post
Has anybody attempted this in a car that is pre-wired for bluetooth? It would be great to use the pre-wired harnesses if possible.
Yeah I think 90% of folks did this DIY to prewired cars.

The Phone prewiring is so irrelevant in 2010 it's not even funny that BMW and some slick eBayers still want you to pay over $1,000 for various outdated and complicated bits and parts that add up to what should actually costs far less today since the technology is NO LONGER NEW.

Plus the DIY for the OEM Bluetooth is almost as tedious as the Nav Retrofit. And if your car is a pre facelift car you have to remove the roof and headliner?!

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ight=bluetooth

That said, I only recommend going OEM here if you got money and time to burn AND you are installing a NAV unit at the same time.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:33 PM   #149
green1

My Ride: ox grn 02 325i
static

So far this has been the most enjoyable mod in my car and this was an awesome diy but is anyone experiencing static??? I finally got around to putting my glove box back on today because it wasn't raining and right after that I got a few complaints from people saying they couldn't hear me. I am going to check the mic cable again and make sure its plugged in all the way but any thoughts???
green1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:22 PM   #150
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudelove View Post
Is there any difference getting the Connects2 or QuickConnect wiring harness? They both will work with the steering wheel controls? The QuickConnect cable is less pricey shipped here.
I think the Connect2 is a better solution for the following reasons.

1. The Quickconnect is not a complete on its own. It also requires a www.audicom.it SW101 to interpret the steeringwheel buttons.

2. The SW101 only used the Phone button, not the Phone & R/T button. This means to terminate a call you have to press & hold the Phone button for two seconds.

3. You can not have the parrot controller & the SW101 attached at the same time.

4. All of the origianl Parrot wires / relays are used & plus more connectors / adapters making it a very large solution.

Pictures show the complete system as it was shipped & then the trimmed down version after removing the bulky ISO connectors & MUCH soldering.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4930_small.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	346045   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4931_small.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	346046  
Old 01-25-2010, 07:23 PM   #151
km4n

My Ride: 2002 325i
Del, this is simply awesome! once again kudos for such an awesome write-up... i know people have claimed that dice is working with this retrofit, but has this worked with the radio harness not trunk..

also, do u guys think parrot will bring out the caller id feature in the near future.. i don't see why they didn't already put it in this module..
km4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:33 AM   #152
GT172I

My Ride: 2003 & 2004 330Ci
I just ordered my Connect2 harness from lowcostcaraudio too b/c of this great DIY writeup. Thanks delmarco and Sync. Now I just need to track down a CK3000 on the cheap sometime in the next 2 weeks. Anybody found a cheap source?
Old 01-27-2010, 11:42 AM   #153
ilbmwista

My Ride: 320 ci
Hello, thanks very much for your tutorial delmarco!

This is my installation of ck3100 parrot :

In this moment the lcd display is positioned there, but in next time i think to move here...what do you think about ?

but this is mk model in E90 and i don't know if my ck3100 fit in my E46 smoke!

I will wait your reply about!
Greeting from Italy
Old 01-27-2010, 01:34 PM   #154
amancuso

My Ride: 128i, 330i, Z3 2.3
Bravo! Does the R/T button do anything? Can you scroll through a phone book? I have the iPhone 3G (the one without voice control.)
Old 01-27-2010, 01:39 PM   #155
ilbmwista

Quote:
Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
Bravo! Does the R/T button do anything? Can you scroll through a phone book? I have the iPhone 3G (the one without voice control.)
Hi!thanks for the "bravo"

Yes i can also scroll the phone book!
Old 01-28-2010, 09:13 AM   #156
km4n

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by km4n View Post
Del, this is simply awesome! once again kudos for such an awesome write-up... i know people have claimed that dice is working with this retrofit, but has this worked with the radio harness not trunk..

also, do u guys think parrot will bring out the caller id feature in the near future.. i don't see why they didn't already put it in this module..
A shout out to Dice Silverline users (Radio harness)... does this work with the radio harness?
km4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:40 PM   #157
dudelove

Q. To Pair an additional phone after install. Would I need to access that blue control unit behind the glove box?

ilbmwista: Those pics are HUGE!

Last edited by dudelove; 01-28-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:59 PM   #158
delmarco

Quote:
Q. To Pair an additional phone after install. Would I need to access that blue control unit behind the glove box?

No. Just remember to un-pair the first phone before pairing the second phone.

The module will pair in the order of 1st phone , then 2nd phone, then 3rd phone, etc...

So if you are driving both your girlfriend and your best friend to McDonalds and all three of your phones are set to pair with the car (you being the primary pairing, your girl friend the secondary, and your best friend the tertiary) the car will pair to your phone ONLY as the three of you get in the car.
Now say at McDonalds you get out the car with your phone and run to the bathroom and the car loses your phone as you go out of range it will then pair to the secondary or your girl friends phone next. If your girl friend then decides to follow you into the McDonalds leaving your Best friend by himself in the car then it will find his phone and pair to his phone last.

When everyone is back in the car and your best friend, who was last paired to the car, is currently not using the bluetooth system, then the car will un pair with his phone and re-pair with the primary phone which is your phone.

Last edited by delmarco; 01-28-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:51 PM   #159
dudelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
No. Just remember to un-pair the first phone before pairing the second phone.

The module will pair in the order of 1st phone , then 2nd phone, then 3rd phone, etc...

So if you are driving both your girlfriend and your best friend to McDonalds and all three of your phones are set to pair with the car (you being the primary pairing, your girl friend the secondary, and your best friend the tertiary) the car will pair to your phone ONLY as the three of you get in the car.
Now say at McDonalds you get out the car with your phone and run to the bathroom and the car loses your phone as you go out of range it will then pair to the secondary or your girl friends phone next. If your girl friend then decides to follow you into the McDonalds leaving your Best friend by himself in the car then it will find his phone and pair to his phone last.

When everyone is back in the car and your best friend, who was last paired to the car, is currently not using the bluetooth system, then the car will un pair with his phone and re-pair with the primary phone which is your phone.
Very good info. But does this assume you have done an initial phones 1-4 pairings ahead of time during the install (guessing the blue control box has a discovery mode)? Basically, what I'm saying is that I will not have phones 2,3,4 at the time of installation. Suppose I want to add/delete phones 2-4 later in a case where... I dunno... say I change girlfriend(s).

Do I tell her to step out of the car for a minute so I can remove the glove box, access the control unit, then pair this new gf?

Last edited by dudelove; 01-29-2010 at 12:02 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:23 AM   #160
ilbmwista

Quote:

i'm sorry!