E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-19-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
Haberdasher

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Confused about antenna issues with aftermarket HU

I'm getting ready to install an aftermarket headunit and am confused about how to deal with the factory antenna. I know I need an adapter, that much I'm clear on. But from reading several threads on here there seems to be a few different opinions on how to deal with the antenna amp.

As I understand it, there's a remote wire in the wiring harness that goes back to the antenna amp from the stock headunit so that the amp gets turned on when the headunit is on. Is that correct? In order to get the stock antenna to work with my aftermarket headunit I need to attach my new headunit's remote wire to the wiring harness's antenna amp remote wire (in addition to my audio system accessories and amps), correct?

Thanks for helping me get straightened out.

-Dave
Haberdasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:30 PM   #2
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Its easiest to just buy a used antenna amplifier from a 2003+ from a junkyard etc. I bought one for about $100.
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:43 PM   #3
Haberdasher

I didn't follow that. How does getting another antenna amp help me?
Old 11-19-2009, 11:45 PM   #4
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haberdasher View Post
I didn't follow that. How does getting another antenna amp help me?
new antenna amplifier is powered by itself, w/o radio. see:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=396343
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:16 AM   #5
Ashhong

My Ride: 2002 325i
wait...what? i thought all we needed was an adapter to make everything work?
Ashhong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:35 AM   #6
Orion329

My Ride: MKV GTI
i could have sworn i responded to this post a little while ago... wonder where that response went or if it didn't get posted.

anyways, i think your confusing sna77 with your talk about a antenna adapter, what i think you're referring to is that the new head unit you'll be putting in needs to be able to tell the stock amp (since that's what it appears you'll be using) to turn on. that wire is a small white wire leading into the stock amp that is usually just referred to as the remote turn-on wire. it sends out a low current signal to tell the amp to turn on whenever you turn on your radio. you should be able to easily attach the remote turn-on lead from the new head unit to the remote turn-on wire that is in the oem head unit's harness. harness adapters for our cars can be purchased easily on ebay or at EAS to aid with your install.

i'm not sure if you've taken this into considering, but the trick with installing an aftermarket head unit in our cars is that the aftermarket head unit is sending out what is called an 'unbalanced' signal, and the stock amp only accepts 'balanced-differential' signals. you'll either need to have a cool head unit that sends out a balanced signal, install an aftermarket amp, or you'll need to use a line output converter (LOC). if you use a LOC, you'd take better advantage of the balanced signal (which is better at avoiding any noise from entering the lines) if you install the LOC behind the head unit, rather than right before the amp in the trunk.

hope that helps clear things up.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:18 AM   #7
Haberdasher

Are you referring to the audio amp? I'm not referring to the audio amp; I'm not going to be using the stock audio amp.

This thread is about the antenna amp that is installed in the C pillar, component 'N8' in the Bentley wiring diagrams. The diagram does show 2 wires going to the stock headunit but does not indicate what kind of signal/current/voltage is on them and the wire colors are not referenced in the diagrams so I can't tell the apart.

sna77 is not confused, and his suggestion of getting an antenna amp from a 2003+ car is interesting. Though, if one of those 2 wires for the antenna amp is a remote turn-on wire and all I have to do is connect it to my new headunit's remote turn-on lead, then I'd rather save myself the $100 and do that. Anyone know if that's possible/works?
Old 11-20-2009, 12:43 PM   #8
Orion329

My Ride: MKV GTI
sorry i was off on that one, i haven't had to deal with that thus far. good to be notified about that though--i could be in need of that here soon when i install an hd radio tuner for the carputer i'm building.

sounds like sna77's solution would definitely be the way to go, as it would give you possibly better reception too. i suppose if no one knows if your idea of hooking the remote turn-on to the stock antenna amplifier works, you could always try it out and if you fry the antenna amp you won't be out any more money than if you had just dropped the $100 in the first place...
Old 11-21-2009, 08:05 PM   #9
flightz71

My Ride: 2004 330ci coupe
Quote:
I'm getting ready to install an aftermarket headunit and am confused about how to deal with the factory antenna. I know I need an adapter, that much I'm clear on. But from reading several threads on here there seems to be a few different opinions on how to deal with the antenna amp.

As I understand it, there's a remote wire in the wiring harness that goes back to the antenna amp from the stock headunit so that the amp gets turned on when the headunit is on. Is that correct? In order to get the stock antenna to work with my aftermarket headunit I need to attach my new headunit's remote wire to the wiring harness's antenna amp remote wire (in addition to my audio system accessories and amps), correct?

Thanks for helping me get straightened out.

-Dave
Ok don't read anything these guys just posted. (Sorry guys )

Pretty much... you're spot on with what you said. The factory Antenna amp needs 2 things... a power source to power it up as well as a headunit connection.

The headunit connection is made with an antenna adapter as mentioned, the power source you solder the "power antenna" wire from your new headunit to the white antenna wire on the factory BMW harness which will provide power to the antenna amp whenever the radio is switched on.

Hope this helps.

-Calvin

ps: sna77 - the 2003+ antenna amp is not self powered... you still need a +12V source when the radio is on.
flightz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:09 AM   #10
Haberdasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightz71 View Post

ps: sna77 - the 2003+ antenna amp is not self powered... you still need a +12V source when the radio is on.
Sorry to resurrect this, but I got more confused over the weekend. I pulled the stock head unit out over the weekend and noticed that the antenna power lead is actually a small coax-like cable. So splicing it into the new head unit's remote power lead isn't going to work. So I've decided to try the newer model antenna amp route.

I read up here about making the swap: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=396343

But flightz71's last comment got me confused. If the newer antenna amp is self powered, but doesn't have any connection other than antenna input/output, how does it get power? Is there power on the main antenna lead supplied from the head unit? Is power being routed through the antenna aerial?

Thanks,
-Dave
Old 06-07-2010, 06:11 AM   #11
Arty

My Ride: 1999 328i
Quote:
Is there power on the main antenna lead
Bingo]
Quote:
supplied from the head unit?
Nope. Read my post on page 4 of the antenna amp thread for the full details.
Arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:10 PM   #12
meistaiwan

My Ride: 2002 BMW M3 SMG
Thanks Arty, I was confused as well, but I think I understand based on what you have posted. For those of us with 2002+ (newer amp styles), the diversity _function_ is self contained in the antenna amp in the back pillar of the car, as long as _you supply 12V to the antenna amp_ through your 1 antenna cable going to your aftermarket headunit.

Therefore, having a 2002 that I've put my Dynavin aftermarket headunit into, the bad reception I have is likely to be caused by not having the antenna cable amped, so I bought this "scosche vwa4b" adapter and will give it a shot.
meistaiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:52 PM   #13
Haberdasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty View Post
Nope. Read my post on page 4 of the antenna amp thread for the full details.
Awesome, I think I'm getting close to understanding

So what I need for my '01 with aftermarket HU is this guy:

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-European.../dp/B0002BES6Y

Then wire the blue lead on it to the ACC wire from the harness. Then get a 02+ antenna amp that has the matching mhz to my current one.

Is that it?
Old 06-07-2010, 09:18 PM   #14
Zion21

My Ride: M3
Quote:

Then wire the blue lead on it to the ACC wire from the harness. Then get a 02+ antenna amp that has the matching mhz to my current one.

Is that it?
I have that same antenna and never have any problems. Works great
Zion21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:45 AM   #15
Arty

My Ride: 1999 328i
Quote:

Is that it?
Basically yes.

A couple of modifications are, if you have a Blue/white wire coming out of the HU, you can use that, as it is the raise/lower signal for the electric FM antenna. By using that instead of ACC or the blue "AMPON" wire, the FM amp will be turned off when the radio is off, reducing any radio bleed, useful on the Dynavin. It's not essential though.

Consider buying a new FM cable run, and a mini-UHF to FM allowing you to fit the Metra part in the rear of the car, in the C pillar. There is more space there and I think ACC is available on the the wire connector to the amp (check the WDS.) This will aid you when sliding in the radio, as it it really (really) tight in the dash, again not essential.

Yanks are ~315MHz, EU is 433MHz for the alarm. The alarm frequency is on the sticky label so it should be easy to get the right one.
Arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:31 PM   #16
ortam3913

My Ride: audi A4
Hello, I'm about to connect the same antenna blue power wire. Where did you end up connecting it too? ACC? And did you splice into the red wire on the Dynavin harness?

Thanks
ortam3913 is offline   Reply With Quote