E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-20-2016, 02:02 PM   #1
Jonathan @ BimmerWorld
Sponsor

My Ride: M3/LMR-3
Is a strut brace worth it?

It's an age-old question, and one that's been the topic of many a great e-battle on forums over the years: Is a strut brace worth it?

As much as we all love to see a great internet fight, we prefer to have actual data to make an informed decision or recommendation, so we turned off the proverbial butt dyno and decided to measure the actual amount of strut tower deflection on a BMW.

Read about our results here: Is a Strut Brace Worth It?

Now you can have some data as backup for your next e-fight. ;-)

Jonathan
BimmerWorld
Race Proven Performance
www.bimmerworld.com
www.bimmerworldracing.com
Jonathan @ BimmerWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:50 PM   #2
BMW WHP

My Ride: 01 330Ci w/ stick
Cool, so the strut towers move about a whole 0.25mm's on average based on that graph.
BMW WHP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:19 PM   #3
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3, 01 325iT
Cool stuff.

Before the question can be answered properly though, do you have before AND after data?

I may have missed it. I just quickly glanced through because I have to go out for the evening, but I love data. But not having both is just trivia.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:50 AM   #4
Jonathan @ BimmerWorld
Sponsor

My Ride: M3/LMR-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo31 View Post
Cool stuff.

Before the question can be answered properly though, do you have before AND after data?

I may have missed it. I just quickly glanced through because I have to go out for the evening, but I love data. But not having both is just trivia.
No "after" data, as the original goal here was to diagnose an issue on a customer's Spec E46. Our answer at that time was basically, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." If we'd seen a higher amount of deflection on our car, we would've fitted a bar to retest. The results were interesting enough that we wanted to share them.

Jonathan
BimmerWorld
Race Proven Performance
www.bimmerworld.com
www.bimmerworldracing.com
Jonathan @ BimmerWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:57 AM   #5
Geo31
Ironman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan @ BimmerWorld View Post
No "after" data, as the original goal here was to diagnose an issue on a customer's Spec E46. Our answer at that time was basically, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." If we'd seen a higher amount of deflection on our car, we would've fitted a bar to retest. The results were interesting enough that we wanted to share them.
Ah! Cool. I didn't realize the nature of the testing.

It could prove quite interesting if y'all did before and after testing. That data could be very interesting.

BTW, I was not trying to diss your test or posting the results. That, in and of itself it pretty interesting.

I'm assuming Spec E46 does not allow tying the cage to the strut towers?

Old 07-22-2016, 12:05 PM   #6
Geo31
Ironman

It's interesting that the curbing produced a negative deflection. Makes you go "Hmmmm......"

It would be interesting to have plots of both X and Y axis deflection. I originally saw the curb notation and assumed it was a positive deflection, but looking at the plot it's clear it's negative. That is particularly interesting because one could expect some Y axis deflection from the frame rail, which would tend (I think) to cause a positive X axis deflection. If there is Y axis deflection, that means it's likely the real X axis deflection is greater than the plot would indicate (going up in Y deflection would increase the distance between the towers, leading to a positive X deflection).