Amex Platinum vs Premier Gold - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2017, 11:53 AM   #1
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Amex Platinum vs Premier Gold

Ok I am bored and I keep getting offers to upgrade my gold card to a platinum card, one of the perks is you can add a gold card to the account at no extra cost, I am thinking of doing this as I would like to have the benefits of both cards, anyone have both cards?

Last edited by bgsmith; 07-15-2017 at 11:54 AM.
bgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:15 PM   #2
Brucifer325

My Ride: 2007 Ford Edge
AMEX Platinum is roughly $500 a year and you get a magazine that shows you how real ballerz roll. Some perks if you travel a lot. I couldn't justify it.

"Love Us with Money, or We'll Hate you with Hammers!" - Milk & Cheese
BMWCCA# 147961
Brucifer325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:27 PM   #3
bgsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer325 View Post
AMEX Platinum is roughly $500 a year and you get a magazine that shows you how real ballerz roll. Some perks if you travel a lot. I couldn't justify it.
Yeah after looking into it further its just not worth it for me, even with the promotional offers for points they are offering, I prefer to get 2x points at restaurants, grocery stores, and gas stations with my current card.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:51 PM   #4
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
i got the mercedes benz platinum amex. love the 200 airline credit , used their concierge for tickets once , now they do uber credits which i use when going out drinking , i had some perks in hotels before nothing major , just got my $100 certificate for mercedes accessories actually , did the global entry which they credited , and used the lounge entry a bunch of times. love the new metal card as well. there's planty comparisons between both online tho.

Last edited by mistrzmiasta; 07-15-2017 at 01:00 PM.
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 01:29 PM   #5
Westrace

My Ride: 06 G35, 04 M3 Coupe
At the end of the day, the only thing that counts is your paycheck. Lots of fancy financial slight of hand but it's just there to make you spending more money.
Westrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:05 PM   #6
BIZ323

My Ride: Miyagi
Send a message via AIM to BIZ323
GF and I use both.

The Plat we never use for spending, only use for benefits. Credits for airline/uber, but the best is use the Amex Centurion Lounge. Lounges are all free food and drinks, and we are talking premium level goodness. Philly is next to get a lounge, so will be booking most flights from there.

PRG isn't used for spending either except, currently 3x MR points for Whole Foods during 2017, so we are buying 20K of VGCs per month.
BIZ323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:54 PM   #7
bgsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westrace View Post
At the end of the day, the only thing that counts is your paycheck. Lots of fancy financial slight of hand but it's just there to make you spending more money.
Yeah but I want to get the most return for the money I do spend via points/perks.
Old 07-15-2017, 03:19 PM   #8
Westrace

My Ride: 06 G35, 04 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
Yeah but I want to get the most return for the money I do spend via points/perks.
Maybe in a certain aspects. If you look at it from another perspective, the banks are only interested in their profits. So naturally they invent a lot of different services in order to extract as much money as possible from the consumers. But at the end of the day, these services are meant to get you to spend more. The next logical to ask is whether you are getting a better percentage of saving which to be honest I don't know.
Westrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 03:19 PM   #9
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl of fury
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrzmiasta View Post
i got the mercedes benz platinum amex. love the 200 airline credit , used their concierge for tickets once , now they do uber credits which i use when going out drinking , i had some perks in hotels before nothing major , just got my $100 certificate for mercedes accessories actually , did the global entry which they credited , and used the lounge entry a bunch of times. love the new metal card as well. there's planty comparisons between both online tho.
Sapphire reserve does all of this too and is $50 cheaper with a $300 travel credit... And that's on anything travel from any vendor not just one specified airline.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 03:26 PM   #10
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Sapphire reserve does all of this too and is $50 cheaper with a $300 travel credit... And that's on anything travel from any vendor not just one specified airline.
funny couldn't find anything on chase sapphire and 200 in uber credits. and i still paid 475 not the 550 that it increased to.
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 03:33 PM   #11
bgsmith

Quote:
Maybe in a certain aspects. If you look at it from another perspective, the banks are only interested in their profits. So naturally they invent a lot of different services in order to extract as much money as possible from the consumers. But at the end of the day, these services are meant to get you to spend more. The next logical to ask is whether you are getting a better percentage of saving which to be honest I don't know.
I don't spend any money just to get perks, so the incentives aren't causing me to spend more, and the benefits via points and cash back I have received this year far out weigh the annual fee for the card, so much better than just using cash or a debit card.

And it is a charge card so there are no balances carried or interest charges.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:12 PM   #12
Zell

My Ride: so turbo wow
Amex: for people who still write checks

Sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk
Old 07-15-2017, 10:35 PM   #13
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you

My Ride: E46 Dinan 330ci
I've just stuck with the Gold, I don't use the Amex services like hotel and travel enough as it is to justify the higher yearly fee.

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:01 AM   #14
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrzmiasta View Post
funny couldn't find anything on chase sapphire and 200 in uber credits. and i still paid 475 not the 550 that it increased to.
If one doesn't use Uber that much, those credits aren't really worth it right? Also, the $300 credit you can use anywhere basically lowers the price tag to a $150 annual fee which is perfectly acceptable for what you get out of the program.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:06 PM   #15
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
I get the $500 fee ($625 for me since I have an extra card for my wife) back every year in savings from travel. The $200 airline credit, rental car insurance for $9.99, Free TSA pre check verification, now a $200 uber credit, and a heap of other benefits make the card worthwhile for me, but I don't have both the gold and the platinum, so I can't comment on the combo.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 07-16-2017 at 04:07 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:08 PM   #16
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Absolutely, to get the most benefits you need to spend more money to get them, like staying in higher end hotels, etc.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:42 PM   #17
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
I get the $500 fee ($625 for me since I have an extra card for my wife) back every year in savings from travel. The $200 airline credit, rental car insurance for $9.99, Free TSA pre check verification, now a $200 uber credit, and a heap of other benefits make the card worthwhile for me, but I don't have both the gold and the platinum, so I can't comment on the combo.
Oh absolutely, I just booked a hotel for Vegas that includes literally $200 in free stuff just for booking through Chase. I was just commenting that unless you're tied to the Uber credit, the Sapphire Reserve is really a hard one to beat since you get the same stuff for less money. Amex Platinum really needs to up their game at this point as there are a handful of others that have really stepped into their turf at the high end card game.

FWIW, car rental insurance is free every time with the CSR and the points from purchases are a lot more valuable.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 07-16-2017 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:52 PM   #18
NFRs2000nyc

IT's not the same insurance. The "free" credit card insurance is a MUCH different animal than the one amex platinum charges $9.99 for. The "free" ones (which btw amex offers as well) are often reimbursements, has a TON of exclusions, limits, etc, and are always after the fact, where you must pay the damage/loss and then deal with the credit card company to get your money back. The amex platinum $9.99 version is a REAL insurance policy, just like the one you buy from the rental desk (so you can go all jeremy clarkson on your rental) and not have to worry about a thing, they cover 41 days for that 9.99, which has saved me, in some places, $400 in insurance premiums on one trip. The also offer airline baggage protection (automatically gets charged when you buy an airline ticket for another $9.99 per ticket) which pays you $3000 per bag if a carryon gets lost, and $2000 per bag of checked luggage, plus $500 emergency spending cash. I've used the emergency cash twice already. On our hawaii trip, we stayed at the fairmont orchid for two nights, one of the perks was free breakfast....breakfast at the orchid is $40pp per day...so that's $160 savings right there. They also have a 4pm checkout time from platinum card holders, and if you ask, you get up to 6pm, which means we didn't have to pay for an extra night just to use their facilities all day before our flight, (basically a $700 value).......vegas the card pays for itself in a single visit....my parents just came back from there with my kids, the card saved me $1200 in perks/value, and then they credited me $850 on top of it because the management at first denied them all the perks they were supposed to get AND, they credited me one year of no membership fees ($625) for the hassle and embarrassment. The platinum card isn't for everyone, and again, it's a simple financial decision...if the math works, it works very well. I've had two years where the card didn't really save me money, but it was when my wife was ill and we couldn't travel much. There are lots of cards with lots of perks as well, some that I also use (ie Amazon), but the platinum still has perks other cards simply do not have....when that happens, they will not be able to charge what they charge for their cards.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:16 PM   #19
bgsmith

We usually take one big trip a year, I am sure I could cash in on some pf the travel benefits of the Platinum, but as of now I am sticking with the gold card, would much rather get the 2x points it offers, I easily earn at least 1500 extra points each month just from the grocery store and gas stations, that doesn't include restaurants which can add up fast too.

After looking into it, the added gold card with the platinum card doesn't get all the benefits of the Premier Gold Card so it wasn't worth it for me, even with the big points bonus they were offering for upgrading.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:18 AM   #20
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
IT's not the same insurance. The "free" credit card insurance is a MUCH different animal than the one amex platinum charges $9.99 for. The "free" ones (which btw amex offers as well) are often reimbursements, has a TON of exclusions, limits, etc, and are always after the fact, where you must pay the damage/loss and then deal with the credit card company to get your money back. The amex platinum $9.99 version is a REAL insurance policy, just like the one you buy from the rental desk (so you can go all jeremy clarkson on your rental) and not have to worry about a thing, they cover 41 days for that 9.99, which has saved me, in some places, $400 in insurance premiums on one trip.

CSR is PRIMARY rental car insurance which is exactly what you're talking about and what you get from the rental desk. You don't pay out of pocket for the damages, it's covered through Chase entirely. Chase Preferred and Reserve are among the few cards that provide this benefit for free.

The also offer airline baggage protection (automatically gets charged when you buy an airline ticket for another $9.99 per ticket) which pays you $3000 per bag if a carryon gets lost, and $2000 per bag of checked luggage, plus $500 emergency spending cash. I've used the emergency cash twice already.

CSR reimburses $3k per person per trip for lost luggage. It also gives you $100/day in emergency cash for important stuff and $500 for emergency lodging and food due to trip delay. All this is included, not an additional fee and it's included regardless of where you buy the ticket from.

On our hawaii trip, we stayed at the fairmont orchid for two nights, one of the perks was free breakfast....breakfast at the orchid is $40pp per day...so that's $160 savings right there. They also have a 4pm checkout time from platinum card holders, and if you ask, you get up to 6pm, which means we didn't have to pay for an extra night just to use their facilities all day before our flight, (basically a $700 value).......vegas the card pays for itself in a single visit....my parents just came back from there with my kids, the card saved me $1200 in perks/value, and then they credited me $850 on top of it because the management at first denied them all the perks they were supposed to get AND, they credited me one year of no membership fees ($625) for the hassle and embarrassment.

Same again. Our trip to Vegas in September is through Chase Luxury Hotels and Resorts (Same as Amex Fine Hotels) and comes with free breakfast, free room upgrade, early check in, late check out, and a $100 resort credit. Also got 30% off of my rental through Silvercar so I get to drive an Audi A4 for the 10 days I'm tooling around SW Utah/AZ for the same price as a Ford Fusion.

The platinum card isn't for everyone, and again, it's a simple financial decision...if the math works, it works very well. I've had two years where the card didn't really save me money, but it was when my wife was ill and we couldn't travel much. There are lots of cards with lots of perks as well, some that I also use (ie Amazon), but the platinum still has perks other cards simply do not have....when that happens, they will not be able to charge what they charge for their cards.
Agreed with your last point completely.

See above for other info. Amex Plat used to be the card to have, it's not anymore as there's a TON more competition in the premium card space.