E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2014, 04:11 PM   #1
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
Grand Canyon Trip ** Pics Added **

I'm headed out there. Weekend in Vegas and then plan to circumnavigate the GC in a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

We plan on hitting Bryce Canyon for some hiking. Stopping in at Antelope Slot Canyon as well as Horseshoe Bend. Then to the South Rim. (N. Rim is closed)

We wanted to hit the wave but only just found out that you need to apply for a visitation permit 4 months in advance as they only give out 20 permits a day.

Anyone with experience have any recommendations?

I'm an amateur photog and will be willing to go somewhat out of my way to have nice light to capture some nice images.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat

Last edited by MP0WER; 11-20-2014 at 12:02 AM.
MP0WER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:41 PM   #2
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
I'm jealous... I'd love to make a trip like that soon. Where are you getting a JGC from? Rental?

I'm not that familiar with that area but what you wrote is basically what I'd do.

If you have time, try out zion national park too.

Oh and if you show up at grand canyon national park at 3am, you can get in for free...don't ask how I know.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 11-10-2014 at 04:42 PM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:56 PM   #3
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw
ride the donkey to the base of canyon and camp over night or a helicopter tour.

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:03 PM   #4
Brucifer325

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFFIN View Post
Donkey shows in the Grand Canyon?

Nuthing down there but lost Brady kids.....

"Love Us with Money, or We'll Hate you with Hammers!" - Milk & Cheese

BMWCCA# 147961
Brucifer325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:03 PM   #5
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
I'm headed out there. Weekend in Vegas and then plan to circumnavigate the GC in a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

We plan on hitting Bryce Canyon for some hiking. Stopping in at Antelope Slot Canyon as well as Horseshoe Bend. Then to the South Rim. (N. Rim is closed)

We wanted to hit the wave but only just found out that you need to apply for a visitation permit 4 months in advance as they only give out 20 permits a day.

Anyone with experience have any recommendations?

I'm an amateur photog and will be willing to go somewhat out of my way to have nice light to capture some nice images.
Here are some tips.....

1) Antelope....first of all, don't bother with the upper. Only go for the lower. All the shots you see of antelope are taken from the lower. It is on an indian reservation, and they are super sloppy with the tours. Make sure you get there 20-30 minutes BEFORE they open and the first tour goes. If you go later, the lines are crazy long, the light sucks, and they rush the tours through. Ask for a photographer pass...they give you a little neck thingie that tells the guide to leave you the f*** alone and let you wander off a bit by yourself, otherwise, they will hustle you along.

Lower antelope when I was there....

2) Horseshoe bend....amazing place. Best time is sunrise or sunset, for obvious reasons. However, if going at sunset, remember, it gets dark FAST and it is an ankle snapping walk in pitch black darkness, so bring some sort of hiking light with you to make sure you can safely find your way back. Also, the best place to take the shot is at the edge of a cliff, a serious cliff. If you go with pets or kids, be EXTREMELY careful. One wrong step and it's game over.

Horseshoe bend from the same trip

Another hidden gem

https://www.bar10.com/

This is an offroad route to see the GC like you have never seen before. The road required to get here is 100% offroad. If you go all the way to the end, you end up at a rare part of the GC, one of the few places that you can see straight from top to the bottom. The road is called the honeymoon trail It's an ancient wagon road with some amazing sights and views.

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/st__g...oon_trail.html

Now....the trail is approximately 100 miles, yes, you read that right, 100, from the start to the cliff of the north rim. You will need to make sure you have supplies (gas, water, food, etc) in case of emergency, a spare, tire plug kit, a jack, etc. Spare gas would be nice but probably not necessary, especially if you fill up before you head out onto the trail. This 100 miles will probably take you 4-6 hours to complete, but the view at the end is pretty damn spectacular.

The overlook is called "toroweep" or tuweep. Camping IS allowed, but by permit only. One of the cool things about this spot (besides the crazy view) is that it is one of the narrowest section of the GC, and as I stated earlier, one of the few places that you can look from the cliff 3000ft STRAIGHT down.

http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/tuweep.htm

Check weather reports for that entire week. If there was heavy rain, it can get REAL muddy, and I wouldn't want to go alone (1 vehicle) in a stock GC.

This is MUCH MUCH more interesting than just circumnavigating the GC.

Any questions, just holler!
Old 11-10-2014, 11:11 PM   #6
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Have fun

Wife and I had a blast!

Vegas/Grand Canyon trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:16 PM   #7
NFRs2000nyc

http://www.hitthetrail.com/toroweap-tuweep/

Toroweep IS the north rim, and is open year round, but certain routes may not be easy to navigate due to snow, but they are the most scenic, so again, weather reports are a must.

I'll be heading on a jeep adventure later in december, working my way from NJ all the way to death valley, and will probably be in the same area you are going.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 11-10-2014 at 11:16 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:28 PM   #8
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

In hindsight.... This was a REALLY stupid thing to do... and no... I was not standing on anything... literally hanging off the edge

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GC.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	580498  

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 11-10-2014 at 11:30 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:29 PM   #9
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
In hindsight.... This was a REALLY stupid thing to do... and no... I was not standing on anything... literally handing off the edge

Not gonna lie bro, that's one of those Darwin photos. Glad you made it home.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:31 PM   #10
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Not gonna lie bro, that's one of those Darwin photos. Glad you made it home.
Ever think... Hey, this would be a good idea!
Then realize halfway through it was a bad idea. Felt like throwing up

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:32 PM   #11
NFRs2000nyc

Did that photo start with "hold my beer and watch this!" Lol
Old 11-10-2014, 11:37 PM   #12
budman
-not a mod-

My Ride: is your mom
Send a message via AIM to budman Send a message via Yahoo to budman
Love that area of the US. Everyone should visit at least once in their lifetime.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:38 PM   #13
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
Love that area of the US. Everyone should visit at least once in their lifetime.

Absolutely, and it's 5.8 times better in an off-road vehicle. So much beauty and history it boggles the mind.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:39 PM   #14
MorganFreeman

My Ride: bacon
Don't jump. It's a long way down..
MorganFreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:45 PM   #15
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
It presents a feeling of calm like nothing else can.

You want to feel in touch with the earth and universe... It's a good start

Standing there made me realize how unimportant things like work, TV, etc are.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd then Monday came.. lol

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 11-10-2014 at 11:46 PM.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:09 AM   #16
MP0WER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
I'm jealous... I'd love to make a trip like that soon. Where are you getting a JGC from? Rental?

I'm not that familiar with that area but what you wrote is basically what I'd do.

If you have time, try out zion national park too.

Oh and if you show up at grand canyon national park at 3am, you can get in for free...don't ask how I know.
Rental. I can't find the email, but i swear my wife said she reserved a Summit JGC. I didn't think they would rent the top line model. I would assume it would be a Laredo.

Plan on driving through Zion on the way to Bryce Canyon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFFIN View Post
It'll be pretty chilly when we're there. High in low 50s and low in the low 20s. With sunset at 4:30 that makes it pretty chilly most of the day and all of the night. Camping for this trip will in hotel rooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Here are some tips.....

1) Antelope....first of all, don't bother with the upper. Only go for the lower. All the shots you see of antelope are taken from the lower. It is on an indian reservation, and they are super sloppy with the tours. Make sure you get there 20-30 minutes BEFORE they open and the first tour goes. If you go later, the lines are crazy long, the light sucks, and they rush the tours through. Ask for a photographer pass...they give you a little neck thingie that tells the guide to leave you the f*** alone and let you wander off a bit by yourself, otherwise, they will hustle you along.

Lower antelope when I was there....

2) Horseshoe bend....amazing place. Best time is sunrise or sunset, for obvious reasons. However, if going at sunset, remember, it gets dark FAST and it is an ankle snapping walk in pitch black darkness, so bring some sort of hiking light with you to make sure you can safely find your way back. Also, the best place to take the shot is at the edge of a cliff, a serious cliff. If you go with pets or kids, be EXTREMELY careful. One wrong step and it's game over.

Horseshoe bend from the same trip

Another hidden gem

https://www.bar10.com/

This is an offroad route to see the GC like you have never seen before. The road required to get here is 100% offroad. If you go all the way to the end, you end up at a rare part of the GC, one of the few places that you can see straight from top to the bottom. The road is called the honeymoon trail It's an ancient wagon road with some amazing sights and views.

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/st__g...oon_trail.html

Now....the trail is approximately 100 miles, yes, you read that right, 100, from the start to the cliff of the north rim. You will need to make sure you have supplies (gas, water, food, etc) in case of emergency, a spare, tire plug kit, a jack, etc. Spare gas would be nice but probably not necessary, especially if you fill up before you head out onto the trail. This 100 miles will probably take you 4-6 hours to complete, but the view at the end is pretty damn spectacular.

The overlook is called "toroweep" or tuweep. Camping IS allowed, but by permit only. One of the cool things about this spot (besides the crazy view) is that it is one of the narrowest section of the GC, and as I stated earlier, one of the few places that you can look from the cliff 3000ft STRAIGHT down.

http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/tuweep.htm

Check weather reports for that entire week. If there was heavy rain, it can get REAL muddy, and I wouldn't want to go alone (1 vehicle) in a stock GC.

This is MUCH MUCH more interesting than just circumnavigating the GC.

Any questions, just holler!
Good stuff. I think we're going to go on a photography tour in Antelope. They give you 2.5 hours to wander around. They even provide tripods, which is nice not having to travel with one.

We're not going to do any serious wheeling. Maybe some light stuff, but with the weather, limited communications, and limited supplies, we'll unfortunately be sticking relatively close to main roads.

Quote:
Have fun

Wife and I had a blast!

Vegas/Grand Canyon trip
Wife is running the Rock & Roll Marathon in Vegas. Friends of ours are getting married the night before the marathon. Then we head out.

Quote:
It presents a feeling of calm like nothing else can.

You want to feel in touch with the earth and universe... It's a good start

Standing there made me realize how unimportant things like work, TV, etc are.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd then Monday came.. lol
yeah, that's going to suck. Basically unplugging for a week and then coming back to play catch up at work.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Old 11-20-2014, 12:12 AM   #17
MP0WER

Zion - Angel's Landing

Bryce Canyon

Old 11-20-2014, 12:36 AM   #18
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Bryce canyon is so incredible. Excellent pictures.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:40 AM   #19
slo scraper

My Ride: E46, Repsol
Ha that's funny, I just got back from a canyon trip myself, mother was in town, I've lived in AZ for a few years now and figured this would be the best time, def some powerful country out there
Old 11-20-2014, 03:37 AM   #20
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
I'm taking a trip down to Tampa sometime next year with my new HK toy. And I'm going to teach you to shoot it. And in return, you're going to teach me how to take pictures this well. Yours always look amazing. Looks like an unbelievable trip.

JJ, i almost have as stupid a moment as you at the Grand Canyon. Actually, some would call it worse. Went with my college roommate in the middle of July and decided to hike down one of the trails starting at around 11AM. Of course the signs say everywhere to take loads of water and whatever you do, don't go all the way down because people DIE and there isn't any place to stay down there. Aside from the little hotel, which is booked a year in advance.

Anyway, so I have just one big bottle of Dasani, maybe a liter, and my roommate has a camelback. Start hiking down and it's really hot, but we decide that it doesn't look too much farther down to the next ridge. So we keep going. And we're about 2 hours in and we decide "hey, that's the bottom. We can make it there". Only it wasn't. An hour more down and we were at the false bottom of the damn thing. No water fountains, no water to speak of, a few rattle snakes, and no shelter.

We decided at that point that we had no choice but to go all the way down since it was so hot and we were running out of water. Another hour later and we get to the bottom to the little hotel. Fill up our waters, buy another and some snacks and up we go.

7 hours later, we get out of it. The total trip time was over 14 hours...we didn't get back til after 1AM. Out of water, totally exhausted, not a soul in sight. But we made it. We did the absolute dumbest thing that they said we could do and that we would likely die doing, but we made it. And I have a picture somewhere of the two of us standing in front of the sign saying we'll die, that a marathon runner died the month before doing it, etc.

It was probably the most dumb thing I've ever done. All that said, it's probably top 3 of the most incredible experiences of my life. The trip down was beautiful at first, but then agonizing. The trip up was mostly agonizing.

But as we were about 2 hours into our hike back up, the sun was just setting over the canyon and we stopped on a ridge for a bit to sit down and watch. It was and still is the most beautiful sunset I've ever seen. Spectacularly gorgeous.

When it got pitch black, we had one small flashlight we had brought. We couldn't see 15 yards in front of us and we were walking on the trail, which is 5 feet wide with a wall on one side and a cliff on the other. We didn't know what was in the path in front of us, be it a rattle snake (of which we saw many) or a mountain lion (of which we thankfully saw none). But when we turned off the flashlight, it was a moonless night and there was zero light pollution. The stars were unbelievable, impossible to explain how many you could see and how clear it was. It was just perfect.

One last thing that stuck with me was how much heat the canyon itself holds. When we were down in that thing, even after dark, it hovered near 90+. It wasn't until we were about 10 feet below the exit that it started to drop and when we were out, it was in the 50s.

Amazing experience. I'm so glad I was that dumb. Whether that beats hanging off the side of a cliff, I'm not sure. But it's a story I love to tell.

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada

Last edited by david05111; 11-20-2014 at 03:40 AM.
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote