E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2014, 06:55 PM   #1
Nt_loader
ASA NO MO

My Ride: 2006 GTI
New Phone Suggestions

Switched to an iPhone about 2 years ago, I currently have a 4s. I want to replace my phone with something else, im looking at the iPhone 6 or Android.

iPhone 6 is out of stock everywhere, I could either wait until 11/14 for shipment or purchase an Android. I'm an ex Android user and went to Apple to see what hype was all about.

Any suggestions on which phone to consider besides the iPhone 6? I looked at the HTC8 Windows phone today and I didnt like it.

Thanks
Nt_loader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:10 PM   #2
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
iPhone 6 should be in stock at local Apple stores, probably not at carriers though.

Otherwise, Moto X would be the number one choice for a typical Android phone by far. They are awesome.

Second would be the Sony Xperia Z3, really good camera.

Third would be the OnePlus One if you like to constantly fiddle with Android shiit and geek out.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:25 PM   #3
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande D View Post
iPhone 6 should be in stock at local Apple stores, probably not at carriers though.

Otherwise, Moto X would be the number one choice for a typical Android phone by far. They are awesome.

Third would be the OnePlus One if you like to constantly fiddle with Android shiit and geek out.
I've heard that the Z3 Compact is pretty good too, maybe better than the Z3. I think the battery life was on the order of 3 days or something crazy with the smaller 4.6" screen. Same camera too.
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:31 PM   #4
farmdog

My Ride: Acura TL
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-Xperia-...item25971b5ddb
Old 10-15-2014, 07:33 PM   #5
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
Quote:

IPhone 6 is sold out at every apple store in Atlanta, a buddy of mine was searching for one a few days ago, he had to order it online

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Fergo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:56 PM   #6
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
If you have a Mac, the iPhone 6 will get more features when the release of Yosemite. I'm using the 5s and what I'm liking about the 6 is that Apple Pay and Apple reverting back to giving us more connection with our Phone and Computer. For ex. I get a call on my iPhone which I left downstairs. My Mac and my iPad will ring and tell me whose calling. This feature was on Macs back in 2004 and now its back. Apple Pay you can use with any Merchants that uses NFC From what I've read, you will be able to pay through the merchants app. You don't have to just use ApplePay.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/15/...g-info-oct-20/
http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/10/...out-apple-pay/

2. Go with Samsung S4 or HTC.

Waiting 30 days is not a long time.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:16 PM   #7
Top_Bunk

My Ride: Ram-Air Nylon
Note 4 is out in a week, note edge to follow shortly. Both phablets like the iPhone 6 plus.
Top_Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:21 PM   #8
Grande D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Bunk View Post
Note 4 is out in a week, note edge to follow shortly. Both phablets like the iPhone 6 plus.
There are better options.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:31 PM   #9
Top_Bunk

Quote:
There are better options.
What makes the Moto X a better option to you? The screen size, or are there other factors? Just curious, as the Note 4 destroys the Moto X in every spec.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:43 PM   #10
Cowspoo

My Ride: 328Ci
Will you be using an 'upgrade' to receive a discount through your carrier?
Old 10-15-2014, 09:50 PM   #11
Grande D

Quote:
What makes the Moto X a better option to you? The screen size, or are there other factors? Just curious, as the Note 4 destroys the Moto X in every spec.
Samsung tricks people into buying phone spec for spec. You don't buy a car for it's power to weight ratio over all else, or we'd all drive Ariels. You don't buy it for it's features/$ over all else, or we'd all drive Kias.

Moto X:

- Beautiful Design
- Well Constructed (best build quality in the industry right now)
- Nearly stock, latest Android OS with some of the fastest updating in the industry (30 days). Moto apps are helpful, always on Google Now is awesome. Moto Android phones are a joy to use with zero tweaking
- Reasons not to buy compared to iPhone 6- worse camera, not as easy to pick up OS, no iMessage, much lower outdoor screen viability (~350 nits versus 600 on the iPhone- happens with AMOLED screens- applies to Samsung in general also)

Note 4:
- Faster
- TouchWiz (crap)
- Note 4 is a big phone, good deal bigger than the Moto X, which is already pushing it
- Smaller Note Edge- cool idea, potentially a gimmicky burnout feature
- Smaller Galaxy Alpha- meh screen compared to Moto X
- Build quality will not be as high as the Moto X in either case.
- Bloatware
- Generally Samsung throwing crap at the wall until it sticks. No finesse in their philosophy or designs, and it shows in comparing Samsung products to those from Motorola or Apple.

For me, TouchWiz versus Motorola's version of Android is enough of a reason to toss out the Note 4. I despise TouchWiz and I don't want to load any ROMs on my phone, just like I don't want to overclock my computer to get it to run programs the way I want it to.

Last edited by Grande D; 10-15-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:04 PM   #12
Top_Bunk

Meh, most of the negatives you describe will be gone as soon as I flash it, which I do with all phones regardless. Understandable if you do not. Build quality is reportedly quite good on the Note 4, being all Aluminum.

I looked at the Moto X as well, but would rather go with something more future-proof.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:05 PM   #13
jeffro3000

The state of Android updates: Who’s fast, who’s slow, and why

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/...-slow-and-why/

Old 10-15-2014, 10:06 PM   #14
jeffro3000

Quote:
Meh, most of the negatives you describe will be gone as soon as I flash it, which I do with all phones regardless. Understandable if you do not. Build quality is reportedly quite good on the Note 4, being all Aluminum.

I looked at the Moto X as well, but would rather go with something more future-proof.
If you want a phablet, Nexus 6 > Note 4
Old 10-15-2014, 10:22 PM   #15
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi
Phones are getting too big. The size of the 2012 Moto X and it's 4.7" screen size was perfect. 5.5 & 6" is just way too big to be practical. I still think the iPhone 5/5S's 4" was perfect. I can throw my 5S into my pocket and forget about it. When I had a Note 2, it was just too big for comfort.

Big screens are what tablets are for.

Last edited by Dreamliner330; 10-15-2014 at 10:33 PM.
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:18 AM   #16
jeffro3000

CNET did a camera comparison between the Note 4, G3, and 6 Plus. Pretty even results.

Quote:

Results

On the whole, the Note 4's camera performed admirably. While it does have some minor issues with white balance (especially under incandescent lighting) and smudging at the far right of the image, the Note 4 holds up well against the competition. Both the iPhone 6 Plus and the G3 have fantastic cameras as well, but Samsung's Note 4 is no slouch, either.

While the larger 16-megapixel sensor does give its pictures a lot more detail, something that the 6 Plus lacks (depending on your shot), the bigger image does suffer from smudged details. There's no clear winner here; all three phone cameras have their strengths and weaknesses. I preferred the Note 4's warmer tones for flash, while the iPhone 6 Plus is a lot more accurate. The LG G3 is a very consistent performer, matching the iPhone 6 Plus shot after shot, while also giving more detail with its 10-megapixel pictures (the 13-megapixel option gives a cropped 4:3 picture).
http://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-gal...-6-plus-lg-g3/

Last edited by jeffro3000; 10-16-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:25 AM   #17
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
For me, TouchWiz versus Motorola's version of Android is enough of a reason to toss out the Note 4. I despise TouchWiz and I don't want to load any ROMs on my phone, just like I don't want to overclock my computer to get it to run programs the way I want it to.
Huge +1 to this.

I don't ever want to use another touchjizz phone again. Samsung phones are fantastic if you buy the GPE version though...just sayin'.

Quote:

Why wouldn't you want one that just works out of the box though? Same end result whether you flash or not.

Also why is Moto X not future proof? I'm still using my galaxy s4 and it works every bit as well as the newer touchjizz samsungs simply because it runs bare android.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
The state of Android updates: Who’s fast, who’s slow, and why

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/...-slow-and-why/

Not true if you buy the GPE versions but overall a good representation.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:39 AM   #18
Grande D

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Huge +1 to this.

I don't ever want to use another touchjizz phone again. Samsung phones are fantastic if you buy the GPE version though...just sayin'.
My first Android phone was an S4. It was enough for me to dismiss Android on the whole for almost a year, until I got to try a Moto X (first gen) out for a month. Great phone. If it weren't for iMessage, I probably would have switched. That may not seem like a big deal, but it does show how close I feel the Moto X and iPhone are. I absolutely love the Google Now functionality on the Moto X too.

The new Moto X is plenty fast enough for several years, especially now that Google is focussing on being lean and not bloating their software.

If you buy a GPE Samsung it is expensive, and just makes the case for the Moto X that much stronger imo.

Last edited by Grande D; 10-16-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:48 AM   #19
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
My first Android phone was an S4. It was enough for me to dismiss Android on the whole for almost a year, until I got to try a Moto X (first gen) out for a month. Great phone. If it weren't for iMessage, I probably would have switched. That may not seem like a big deal, but it does show how close I feel the Moto X and iPhone are. I absolutely love the Google Now functionality on the Moto X too.

The new Moto X is plenty fast enough for several years, especially now that Google is focussing on being lean and not bloating their software.

If you buy a GPE Samsung it is expensive, and just makes the case for the Moto X that much stronger imo.
Google Hangouts is their version of iMessage so that's not a good reason to keep Apple anymore either.

Also, yeah the GPE phones are expensive but so is the new Nexus. Moto X is a steal but you do sacrifice some of the higher end hardware features to get it. GPE phones are high end hardware with the right software but you gotta pay to play.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:48 AM   #20
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
Imessage was a deciding factor for you?

2 easy 2 make hp turbos

Last edited by Fergo; 10-16-2014 at 11:49 AM.
Fergo is online now   Reply With Quote