E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2016, 05:30 PM   #1
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Anyone ever tuned a vehicle with a data logger?

So I have been toying with the idea of tuning my motorcycle for ridability/smoothness and maybe a little power. It's a 2-cylinder fuel injected bike and I have a piggyback fuel module on it so I can tweak the air/fuel ratio

A dyno tune for all conditions (part throttle, WFO, etc) can cost $200-300. Then, if you change anything like a new pipe or airbox you have to go do it again. So I've been thinking of installing a wideband O2 sensor and data logger to track TPS and RPM, then sort through the data afterward in Excel to figure out how the numbers look.

Does anyone here have experience with this? I have a number of questions about it.... as far as O2 placement, good brands/software to go with, what to expect from it, and whether TPS or MAP is a better method of engine load.

Thoughts?

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:00 PM   #2
BKMrSteel

My Ride: 99 328i
Map is easier to tune in my opinion, unless you have ITB or very little manifold vacuum from a small plenum. You can get really close with data logging tuning, just be aware of lean throttle tip in and rich lift conditions, don't overcompensate. Fuel is rather easy and a good opportunity to start learning, also makes no difference in power so long as you don't run leaner then stoichiometric. Mostly safety, durability, and reliability mindsets.
BKMrSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:40 PM   #3
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMrSteel View Post
Map is easier to tune in my opinion, unless you have ITB or very little manifold vacuum from a small plenum. You can get really close with data logging tuning, just be aware of lean throttle tip in and rich lift conditions, don't overcompensate. Fuel is rather easy and a good opportunity to start learning, also makes no difference in power so long as you don't run leaner then stoichiometric. Mostly safety, durability, and reliability mindsets.
Well it's a V-twin motorcycle with a pretty wide open intake and ITB's. I was thinking TPS because it has ride by wire, and it easily translates to the TPS vs RPM fuel map piggyback I have. How do you translate from MAP/load to TPS%?

I've read in a lot of places that 13.0-13.5 AFR is best for smoothness and power. Anything higher up to 14.7 and you're going to be more efficient, and anything lower and you're just bogging on too much gas, making less power and fouling plugs.

My main goal with the project is smoothness at cruise and small throttle openings, like modulating power in a turn. WFO is actually perfect in stock form, no reason to really mess with that. I'm just afraid I will weld an O2 port in, get it all wired up, and the AFR flies all over the place too much to get any real data, or someone tells me I put the O2 in the wrong spot. Haha

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote