E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-28-2009, 11:30 PM   #1
MasterC17

My Ride: hates A/C & Sunroofs
MasterC17 - 2005 330Ci ZHP Project

MasterC17's 2005 330Ci ZHP Project Build

Background:

Basically, I was looking to purchase an 01-03 330Ci. Needed to be a manual, with ~55k miles, good colors, and mostly a good price (max about $12,500). I started my search around two months ago and I looked at a few cars during that time frame but none worked out (one was an automatic, etc. etc.).

And one day I found a salvage, wrecked 2005 330Ci ZHP. It was perfect, colors were great, 6-Speed Manual, Cold Weather, 54k Miles, etc. Now, obviously this was going to be a risk and I didn't want to end up with a bunch of money in the car. In the end I bid what I believed it was worth to me and I got it! Within a week I had sent the money to the dealer and was ready to go pick up the car.

The Pickup:

The car was located near Philidelphia, PA, and I am close to Boston, MA. Yesterday (day after Thanksgiving), my father and I loaded up and set off to get the car. It took us almost exactly five hours to get down there and we arrived at 10 in the morning. We checked the car over quickly, it was just as we expected with no surprises.

Next, we picked up the U-Haul trailer (had to buy a ball and different wiring...) And we headed back to the dealer. Once there we loaded up (that was a hell of a time ). And lastly, I signed the Bill of Sale, got the the Title, etc. and off we went. It took about six hours to get home, and we got back around 5:30. At that point we were both done for the day.

The Project:

Basically, I want to complete my car within two months at a reasonable price. All parts will be Factory, OEM (not from the stealership though ) Most all of the work will be done by myself (except the inner fender work and paint). Overall I want to make the car look just as it did BEFORE the accident while spending a reasonable amount all with factory parts. The work will be high-quality and it should be as if it had never been hit at all.

Phase I: Breakdown:

Today, we went in and unloaded in the morning. Here is how the car was right after we pulled it off the trailer and into one our bay's: (sorry, first set of pics are crappy)

The damage on the car is pictured, and is contained to the front of the car .

Step I: Remove Hood:
Very simple, one hood shock is blown, the other is intact. All wiring, insert, and even the emblem (amazingly) are good. Hood, not so much.

Step II: Remove Headlight & Misc:

Left Xenon is near-perfect, top two clips broken but can be repaired. Removed other little things before the bumper.

Step III: Remove Front Bumper:

The bumper is suprisingly intact, the reinforcement is just barely bent, so really the only bad part is the bumper cover. Grille insert is good as well.

Step IV: Remove Radiator Support:

The radiator support came off pretty easily, but as you can see it is mangled.

And this is how the car stands now:

The really GOOD part is that the frame rail is perfect, no bending or likewise at all!

Here's some close ups of the body damage:

And that is what was accomplished today, I will update as progress is made. Next step is to purchase a Radiator!

Last edited by MasterC17; 11-28-2009 at 11:36 PM.
MasterC17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:37 PM   #2
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
nice, keep up the good work

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:50 PM   #3
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Looks like a cool project. I can't believe that car was considered to be totaled.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:09 AM   #4
BodyMan

My Ride: 2002 325i
You can buy the fender apron from the strut tower forward. And you can buy the fender support(the part the fender bolts to) from the cowl forward. A straight forward repair. Even though the frame rails look good, have a body shop measure it ti be sure. Money spent here is money VERY well spent when you go to put the car back together. I think that this is the ideal builder car, good pick. Even if you send it out to get the inner apron replaced/repaired,measured, and painted, you will come out smelling like a rose. Don't be afraid to get used parts for it. On a newer car like this, there should be plenty of good used parts for it. Just don't get after market sheet metal!! But it sounds like you know that already. Good job!!
BodyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:15 AM   #5
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
Confratulations, nice find. No airbags deployed, I trust.
If this car was mine, I would not have let it go after the accident. Well, probably I wouldn't leave even my 323i if it gets this kind of damage.

Pitty I don't have time at all to go to salvage autions.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:27 AM   #6
yonmoor

My Ride: Handbasket
Itt, I cry.
yonmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:36 AM   #7
Craig330Ci
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2006 330Ci vert
Good luck with the rebuild. Keep us posted on your progress. I can't believe they totaled that car. Did the air bags deploy?
Craig330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:49 AM   #8
altink

My Ride: 99 328i
nice ride, gl
03 Tahoe LT
01 GSXR 1000

Life is promised to no one so live it best you can.
altink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:54 AM   #9
uhhhmeeer

My Ride: E36 M3
Send a message via AIM to uhhhmeeer
the bmw emblem made it hah
cool project
Old 11-29-2009, 09:19 AM   #10
Silver325

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodyMan View Post
You can buy the fender apron from the strut tower forward. And you can buy the fender support(the part the fender bolts to) from the cowl forward. A straight forward repair. Even though the frame rails look good, have a body shop measure it ti be sure. Money spent here is money VERY well spent when you go to put the car back together. I think that this is the ideal builder car, good pick. Even if you send it out to get the inner apron replaced/repaired,measured, and painted, you will come out smelling like a rose. Don't be afraid to get used parts for it. On a newer car like this, there should be plenty of good used parts for it. Just don't get after market sheet metal!! But it sounds like you know that already. Good job!!
This sounds like very good advise. When I looked at the pics, I too was thinking about the frame rail and strut tower being moved a few degrees, where you couldn't see it by eye, but would frak handling. Getting good measurements and adjustments as required now makes a lot of sense.

Looks like a great project, certainly looks all repairable. Good luck!

Meyle control arms, M3 RTAB's, Bridgstone Potenza RE760
Silver325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:19 AM   #11
bryguy11

My Ride: 2004 330i 6 speed
so might I ask what you ended up paying for her...?...looks like a great find...not that much damage really...cannot wait to see it put back together....perfect time for a good looking cabfib hood...keep pics coming !!!
bryguy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:43 AM   #12
TiAgTouring

My Ride: has a D-Pillar
Nice find! Looks like its going to be a good project as well! How much did you pick it up for?

Sold but missed: 323iT 5MT ZSP/ M54B30 Manifold Swap/ F1 Headers + Full ZHP Exhaust/ UUC SSK + DSSR

Current: Eurospec imported 2003 330XI 6MT
TiAgTouring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:46 PM   #13
CHFBrian

My Ride: 2001 330i
Looks like a great find. Good luck with the build!
CHFBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:54 PM   #14
MasterC17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodyMan View Post
Thanks for the advice, I was planning on getting the support and the cowl. Also, I'm going to have a body shop line everything up correctly. I'll be calling a few junk yards to try to find parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig330Ci View Post
Good luck with the rebuild. Keep us posted on your progress. I can't believe they totaled that car. Did the air bags deploy?
Actually, the driver's airbag did deploy, but the pasenger and side airbags did not, so it was a pretty light hit.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:19 PM   #15
MasterC17

MasterC17's 2005 330Ci ZHP Project Build 11/29/09

Phase I: Breakdown: (Continued)

Step V: Remove Belly Pan:

Removing the belly pan was a breeze, but there was a lot of broken stuff on it.

Got out all the intact parts and vaccumed up the rest.

Step VI: Remove Radiator:

Removing the radiator was a pain in the arse, and we had to clip the connector to the coiling coil. The radiator still had coolant in it and it and the steering pump still had oil and both went EVERYWHERE. We cleaned it up and it's done leaking now .

Step VII: Remove Intake:

Hadn't planned on this but found out that the intake is shot. Got a big crack in it. Only good thing is I can order a Dinan one now

Step VIII: Remove Airbag:

Well, I tried to remove the airbag. I got it out, except the wires won't disconnect. On further inspection, the clips on the wires actually MELTED into the plastic (I assume from the airbag explosion on deployment). For now, the airbag will sit there.

Phase II: Inspection:

I already found out most of the problems, etc. but there were still little things to be found.

Step I: Right Door:

The right door is perfect, except for a little scrape right next to where the fender would have been.

Fortuanetly, this didn't effect the structure at all and the door lines up and open/closes perfectly.

Step II: Right Fender:

Obviously, it is gonzo. Good part is the wire for the turn signal is good and so is the turn signal itself!

Step III: Front:

Once everything else was removed, I inspected the front and there is nothing wrong . Every bit of damage here was contained in front of the engine.

Step IV: Left Fender:

The left fender is good although it was tweaked a teeny bit. Looks suspicously like someone meant to do it...

Step V: Left Door:

The left door is perfect, and the door lines up and opens/closes good

Step VI: Few Other Things:

1. The windshield is cracked although I already knew that.

(Picture makes it look worse than it is)

2. The ground wiring was cut in one spot by the fender on impact, but we bent the fender back and are going to splice the ground that was cut back together soon.

3. This thingy broke (haven't taken time to fiqure out what it is yet). And the A/C Drier line is tweaked but looks like it can be shaped back to normal.

The Good:

Ballast's for Right Xenon, Right Turn Signal, Carpets in the trunk.

Overall:

A little more than I had anticipated, but that is to be expected in a wreck. Overall it was a very light hit that was on the borderline of a total loss or not.

Will continue to post as I make progress. Calling a few Junkyards tommorow to see if they got any E46's!

Interior Picture:

Just wanted to show a picture of the interior, sorry for the bad quality.

Last edited by MasterC17; 11-29-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:33 PM   #16
MasterC17

Oh yes, I keep forgetting to mention.

The car also has near-new brakes, rotors, tires and I'm pretty sure the oil was changed as well!!!

It looks like it was done less than 500 miles ago
Old 11-29-2009, 10:30 PM   #17
BodyMan

Plug up those A.C. lines Mister! Don't want ANYTHING to get in there. You will want part number 3 and 4.I'ts very common for the plugs to the airbag to be melted.You will need the bag as well as a clock spring.The left fender being pushed out like that is an indication that the front end is pushed over,no big deal, this is why is suggested to get it measured.

If I can help answer questions for you,just ask or pm me! Happy to help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15.png
Views:	294
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	339837  
BodyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:38 PM   #18
Define ///M3

My Ride: Dream 2 B Suprchrgd
moar!

AKA Huggy1989
"I expect to pass through life but once. If, therefore, there can be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."- WP
Define ///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:42 PM   #19
Sam 330ci

My Ride: 03 530i
Send a message via AIM to Sam 330ci
If you are able to locate any Junkyards around Boston with E46's in them please let me know! Cool project, where in MA are you located?
Old 11-29-2009, 11:06 PM   #20
Countdownbmw
Account Under Review

My Ride: 330i ZHP 6 MT, 525i
Coo project car. may i ask how much did you pay?
Countdownbmw is offline   Reply With Quote