E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-23-2010, 10:16 AM   #1
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Artists, need some critiquing on a drawing

I think I'm done with a sketch that I made from a picture I took of my nephew. I'm working on it as a gift for my sister & bro-in-law. Is there anything that stands out that needs attention? I usually have a hard time spotting flaws until weeks after I'm done with a drawing so I figured I'd get a second opinion.

edit: The mouth bothers me some; it's too flat, but I don't want to risk screwing up the shading around it to fix something small like that because the proportions still look ok.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Last edited by cowmoo32; 11-23-2010 at 10:21 AM.
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:17 AM   #2
cowmoo32
drunken science

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0709 (Large).jpg
Views:	639
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	384769  

flickher

Last edited by cowmoo32; 11-23-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:21 AM   #3
Dcha

My Ride: Mkodama's sister
Send a message via AIM to Dcha
Who dat bebe?
Old 11-23-2010, 10:46 AM   #4
Studdly_Studright

My Ride: 135i
Looks good! I have a really hard time drawing people. The only thing I can think of is making the background darker like the picture so the face pops out more and adds darker values.

Last edited by Studdly_Studright; 11-23-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Studdly_Studright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:51 AM   #5
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
Instead of trying to make an exact replica of the photo I would take some artistic liberty in straightening out the inside of the upper lip and opening up the eyes a little more. Perhaps even give a hint of a smile..?
Just my 2

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
cowmoo32
drunken science

See, that's another reason why I didn't want to change the mouth because it looks a little more like a smile than in the picture, just slightly.

flickher

Old 11-23-2010, 12:40 PM   #7
ride365

Looks a little flat. Shading needs to be more graduated and darker to show more depth and shape.

(see attached for a quick PS edit)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0709 (Large)2.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	384791  
Old 11-23-2010, 01:00 PM   #8
Penguin Koolaid
Banned

My Ride: Inline Six
In before Tenchi

But on a more serious note, the symmetry looks good. However, as mentioned above the image is a little flat. Some more contrasts needs to be made via shading. Otherwise, looks great.
Penguin Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:15 PM   #9
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride365 View Post
Looks a little flat. Shading needs to be more graduated and darker to show more depth and shape.

(see attached for a quick PS edit)
you're right, that looks a lot better, especially the area around the hand/shoulder and under the chin. Thanks for the PS, that gives me a good idea of what to shoot for.

flickher

Old 11-23-2010, 01:31 PM   #10
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you

My Ride: A car.
head is too round, angles are all off, lips are too flat.
Better to redo.

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies

Last edited by Fisch330ciTopasBlau; 11-23-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:34 PM   #11
6-speed

My Ride: E21 > E46
6-speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:36 PM   #12
Cowspoo

My Ride: 328Ci
Don't be afraid to go dark man. Use those B pencils on the face
Old 11-23-2010, 04:58 PM   #13
SW222
Banned User

My Ride: is silver and slow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisch330ciTopasBlau View Post
Better to redo.
+1

It's a decent sketch but it's far from being perfect. I.e., nose is smaller, mouth is smaller, right eye is smaller, left eye is wider ( you extended the shadow too far), distance from upper eyelid to bottom of eyebrow on right eye is unproportional..etc. You get the idea, everything is unproportional and you are also missing out on a lot of details especially small refined details. Most noticeable is you left out all the details from the eyes up and your shading is off.

Don't get discouraged, you have skills but like you said you lack the "eye". Overall, it's a decent sketch but if you want to get it perfect then you'd have to redo it and consider every details as much as possible.
SW222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:17 PM   #14
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisch330ciTopasBlau View Post
Better to redo.
Damn, not what I wanted to hear. I actually rounded the head out a little because the forehead looked too big at first and he looked like he had downs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW222 View Post
+1

It's a decent sketch but it's far from being perfect. I.e., nose is smaller, mouth is smaller, right eye is smaller, left eye is wider ( you extended the shadow too far), distance from upper eyelid to bottom of eyebrow on right eye is unproportional..etc. You get the idea, everything is unproportional and you are also missing out on a lot of details especially small refined details. Most noticeable is you left out all the details from the eyes up and your shading is off.

Don't get discouraged, you have skills but like you said you lack the "eye". Overall, it's a decent sketch but if you want to get it perfect then you'd have to redo it and consider every details as much as possible.
I know it's far from perfect. I have literally zero formal training and might finish a sketch once every 3-4 months. I'll have a lot of free time in the next few weeks, I might give it another go.

flickher

Old 11-23-2010, 06:20 PM   #15
Hedges

My Ride: C63 AMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6-speed View Post
Thats actually what came to mind hahah!
Old 11-23-2010, 08:09 PM   #16
cowmoo32
drunken science

Exactly what fine details am I missing out on? I can see a fine shadow here or there, but nothing really sticks out.

flickher

Old 11-23-2010, 09:12 PM   #17
deadpass

My Ride: 01 330i
for me the thing that seems missing is any detail on the forehead. but in some of those creases and lines and it'll help give it more depth.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:40 AM   #18
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you

My Ride: A car.
Instead of drawing flat on a table where perspective and proportions can mess you up as you shift around, get a board and prop it up so you're drawing the rough composition vertically. That should help.
You can then put it flat on the table again for the final rendering.

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:40 AM   #19
ride365

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Exactly what fine details am I missing out on? I can see a fine shadow here or there, but nothing really sticks out.
First get the shapes and proportions right, otherwise no amount of perfect shading will look right. In your first attempt, things like the outline of the head and the negative space around the neck are not quite right. Your eyes are almost the same size/length, but if you look at the photograph they are different because of the curvature of the head.

Then in your shading, think in terms of volume. For instance on the nose, it looks like you've identified some shadows and dark spots. But without a sense of volume, that's all they are -- dark spots -- rather than a nose. Your shadows don't give shape to the tip of the nose, how it angles up the sides, etc.

If you think in terms of volume, the details will follow. For instance you might be thinking, what lines or shadows am I missing from the forehead? But if you truly saw the shape of the forehead, the fatty brow rising from the eye sockets, how it meets the forehead in a crease, then what you put on paper would be more than an incomplete representation of obvious dark and light blotches.

For me it's a constant back and forth check between the details and how those details fit into the overall image. OK, you have a line here and a line there... which should be darker, which should be softer, which should be longer, which should be broader, are they the proper angle in relation to one another? The comparisons go on and on, and your ability to juggle all of that will determine the quality of your drawing.

/non-art-school rant
Old 11-24-2010, 06:58 AM   #20
kai-

My Ride: three two slow
http://alexhays.com/loomis/ <--- if you're serious about learning to REALLY draw.

in a 2d medium, you are constantly fighting to create the illusion of a 3d image. in order to do so you need to properly understand the forms you're trying to replicate, otherwise the 'finish' of your drawings will fluctuate depending on whether you're holding your mouth right .

aside from that, it's all practice practice practice. drawing is a highly perishable skill, and if don't keep at it, you will lose your 'talent'.

i would suggest smashing out a whole lot of quicker drawings in order to get an appreciation of the form, once you have the gesture and feel right, everything else is a bonus!

GLWI.
kai- is offline   Reply With Quote