E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #41
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Mine reads '----' with 2L left in the tank. Use the hidden menu to read the tank level, or know that we have a 62L tank and I put in 60L at '----'.

I agree it is not smart to run the tank to empty. It is hard on your fuel pump and you're not saving anything since you have to fill up eventually. I did it once to see how much would be left if I ever was far from a station, since stations can be hard to find in my city.

That said, I could go 100 miles on '----' ... provided it was all downhill
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #42
Shadow330xi

My Ride: 2001 Red 330xi
I was driving from Colorado to California through Utahs desert. And I was asleep with my friend driving, and he passed the last gas station for the next ~130 miles, and it got down to having 0 miles on the computer for about 30 miles. Needless to say, I was quite nervous about be stranded in the desert.
Shadow330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #43
dgknight

My Ride: 02 325xi 5sp 120k
I recently had to swap out my fuel pump, and wanted to run the car dry first for safety reasons and to pump as much crap through the old pump as possible. The car ran for 10 nervous stop and go miles on ----, then sat idling in my driveway for over half an hour before it finally coughed to a stop. There was still gas in the tank and if not for the uphill slope in the drive, it may have run longer IMO.
dgknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #44
AudiEtr

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeemerdude View Post
Why would anyone purposely try to run out of gas just to see how far they can go after a 0 miles reading?
to see how far it would go after 0 miles.... I would rather know and not need the info then need the info and not know.
AudiEtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #45
havnfun328

My Ride: 99 328i Stock
How far can you get after the fuel light comes on?

It's funny reading the people who say you will suck up junk from the bottom of the tank if you run out of gas. The pump feeds from the bottom so anything there will get sucked up first. Now stuff floating on top - that's different.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
235K and still running strong
havnfun328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #46
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by havnfun328 View Post
It's funny reading the people who say you will suck up junk from the bottom of the tank if you run out of gas. The pump feeds from the bottom so anything there will get sucked up first. Now stuff floating on top - that's different.

AND, when stuff got sucked up from the bottom of the tank, the tanks were made from sheet metal and they were prone to rusting and introducing the stuff one wants to avoid. If one is buyuing gasoline today in a Third World country like the United States of America, stuff in the gasoline that came out of the supply chain is pretty close to non-existant.

If you are driving in Mexico and getting your gas there, you _might_ get crap floating in the bottom of the tank, but the rest of North America should have a pretty sterile (clean) fuel supply chain.

Your BMW has a plastic gas tank, and it should be as clean as the day it was installed.

There is no reason to even attempt to drain the tank before doing service. You do not want the tank full, that's true. But there is no need to drain it so dry that the engine stops running. Drive to somewhere below 1/4 tank and do whatever you need to do. Do not smoke while doing it.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:23 PM   #47
JimErskine

My Ride: 2002 E46 Convertible
Send a message via Skype™ to JimErskine
Hey that's what were trying to tell you, top goes to bottom when its empty. The biggest problem is a fuel pump burning out as it strives to supply 30 PSI and has air not fuel to pump! Hey burn it out its only money.
JimErskine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #48
dgknight

My Ride: 02 325xi 5sp 120k
Yes, my tank looked pristine when I yanked the old pump, and that was with 117k miles on it, and run to the bottom more often than I care to admit. I think the main argument for not running it too low now that I can see how the pump sits in the tank, is to stop it overheating.

The way the tank is designed, I can't see anything getting the opportunity to 'settle' to the bottom of the tank due to the circulating of fuel from the left of the tank to the right by the pump.

Since I was doing the service in my driveway (gas heater in the garage) I wanted as little gas as possible in it, and burning out an already burned out pump was not really a concern I had, just minimizing the fuel on hand in case one of my neighbors came by smoking.
dgknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #49
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
You know, if you can walk, you can go as far as it takes to get more fuel.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Last edited by wildirish317; 06-21-2013 at 09:50 PM. Reason: left out a key word
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #50
2003 325i

My Ride: '03 Orient Blue 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Definitely a smart thing to do to make sure you don't get too close to E, but not something necessary. I'd say that is more important in rural areas where gas stations are more sparse.

Speaking of which, I should probably do mine at some point too since it's so simple and relatively cheap.
I think the soft fail due to running the tank low is a lie. I'm blaming it more on a clogged fuel filter. In my 110K kms of ownership of this car I would say that 96% of my fillups are with the light on. I've never seen the "----" but have been to 11 kms early in my ownership and 32 kms just last week. I routinely fill up with approx. 80 kms to E.
2003 325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #51
fishb0n3

My Ride: 323ci convertible
once i drove it till it showed 1 mile and the other time i drove it till it showed something like " ----- " but both times i was trying to see how far will it go.. i think i drove fairly 55+ miles ( that was with my 323ci ).

When it showed "----" i was in the gas station already.
1990 corvette ( C4 ) ZR1
2002 325ci vert " project car "
2000 323ci vert -totaled-
2003 z4 3.0i -sold-
fishb0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #52
beeemerdude

My Ride: Cabrio. Stick.
I truly don't understand. If you own a BMW, you can't fill it with fuel? (keep it above the 1/4 mark? ) Unless it's a "thing" to try to test things to the max?.... I just read, long ago. on these BMW forums, DON'T DO IT...you'll wreck your fuel pump, your filter will get clogeed up of crap,...but most important to me....your dash lights will light up like a Christmas tree. The 3rd thing did it for me. I used to always run dry w/ my winter beaters, etc,...but do this in a BMW..? I think not. . I take some forum threads/posts srs'ly,...I like my dash lights nice & black. I refuse to pay a dealership $500 to remove some dash lights..What a waste. (To me,..like paying for an anchor tattoo on your 4-arm. waste of $)

Last edited by beeemerdude; 06-21-2013 at 09:51 PM.
beeemerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:37 PM   #53
iRide113

My Ride: 2004 325i
You shouldn't be asking how far you can go, but rather how many gallons are left in the fuel tank. Everyone drives different and can get different MPG. I personally never let my car get below 1/4 full.
iRide113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:38 PM   #54
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: a franken-e46 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRide113 View Post
You shouldn't be asking how far you can go, but rather how many gallons are left in the fuel tank. Everyone drives different and can get different MPG. I personally never let my car get below 1/4 full.
Live a little

[bimmerapp]

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #55
AudiEtr

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
I truly don't understand. If you own a BMW, you can't fill it with fuel? (keep it above the 1/4 mark? ) Unless it's a "thing" to try to test things to the max?.... I just read, long ago. on these BMW forums, DON'T DO IT...you'll wreck your fuel pump, your filter will get clogeed up of crap,...but most important to me....your dash lights will light up like a Christmas tree. The 3rd thing did it for me. I used to always run dry w/ my winter beaters, etc,...but do this in a BMW..? I think not. . I take some forum threads/posts srs'ly,...I like my dash lights nice & black. I refuse to pay a dealership $500 to remove some dash lights..What a waste. (To me,..like paying for an anchor tattoo on your 4-arm. waste of $)
I love how some people think they have it all figured out. Sure it's nice to never see your gas light, but some of us live in the real world... I never dropped below a half tank b4 the recession. Between 2008-10 only thing I cared about was paying it off and putting food on the table. And your anchor tatoo comment makes no sense at all.... My grandpa has one on his arm from the boat he was on in the war, I'll tell him you think it's dumb...
AudiEtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #56
Leezy321

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
How far can you get after the fuel light comes on?

Quote:
And? We're talking E46 BMWs here.. Same price as a Civic Si, Toyota Corolla, RSX, Mazda 3, etc... It's not good to run ANY car out of fuel. Just because you/we drive a decade old BMW are we supposed to have higher standards in life or something? Are we supposed to have more $$$ than the guy driving his 06' Civic Si?

Anyway, I drove from Boston to my house (all highway) with my fuel light on. That's 19 miles. Then another mile the next morning to the gas station after all, it is a BMW.....

Leezy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #57
Tbone8ty

My Ride: 2003 330i
in the manual it says my 2003 330i has a 2 gallon reserve...

usually when i fill up its about 16 gallons when yellow light comes on.
Tbone8ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #58
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Well, I can take at least 2 of those worries away from you. Running your car out of gas is not an ideal situation, but it won't harm anything, and definitely not the engine. The first step to replacing the fuel pump or filter is to pull the fuse, and start the car, to depressurize the fuel system. Sure, everything will light up on the dash. It's supposed to - you just killed the fuel flow to the engine.
The second one is the urban myth of the "gunk at the bottom of your fuel tank". If you are driving a 1950 Pontiac, you may have some gunk in there. But I would be willing to bet that yours is nice and clean. So, you will not clog your fuel filter. First, because there is no gunk there. Second, and this is important, your fuel pump draws from the bottom of the tank all the time! If there was gunk, you would suck it in if the tank was full or empty. If you have ever replaced your fuel pump, you should have noticed the intake screen at the bottom of the pump.
The fuel filter clogging trash at the bottom of your tank does not exist!
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #59
2003 325i

My Ride: '03 Orient Blue 325i
Quote:
I can fill my car up whenever I want, I'm just not some paranoid fuelomaniac who thinks that if I run my tank low it's going to shorten the lifespan of my fuel pump. Like I said I run it low every tank with no adverse effects. 190K kms and counting... hey at least I know my low fuel light works
2003 325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #60
e46techtuner

My Ride: 2000 328i
Some people just don't take care of their cars. Im a technician, I have seen the insides of engines and replace fuel pumps very often. I recommend filling up at 1/4 tank, changing fuel filters yearly and use fuel treatment once or twice a year. People who neglect to do this will get poor gas mileage and performance, ruin filters, pumps, level senders, injectors, valves, pistons and cats. I would even recommend replacing the fuel pump just because its old and has lots of miles.

Tags
empty, fuel, miles