E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-02-2009, 10:58 AM   #1
pjo33us

My Ride: 03 330xi
Interior gas smell

I smell gas inside the cabin of my car before starting it up. The smell than goes away. There is no smell in thetrunk or engine bay, with the engine off or on.

What would cause fuel vapor in the cabin with the engine off? Fuel filter?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:19 PM   #2
xi_ter

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Check if your evaporative canister is saturated and leaking gas as a result. Since cabin air intake is at the base of the windshield you would pick up the gas fumes smell. The canister can become saturated by overfilling just once.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:25 PM   #3
bumere46

My Ride: E92
fuel filter
bumere46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:37 PM   #4
pjo33us

smell seems to have gone away now... I will get under the car and check the fuel filter and canister tonight as you guys have mentioned tonight.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:11 PM   #5
abrogan0319

My Ride: M3 6spd
keep me posted on what you find, im having a similiar problem with my canister.. any easy fix guys?
abrogan0319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:12 PM   #6
alwaysbored786

My Ride: Noble|M3|XJ
lift up the rear bench and remove the rubber cap dome things and look for some gas there. If there is any at all, your o ring may need replacement. cheap and easy fix, no biggie.

*NO F-BOMBS IN SIGS*
How to refinish rims
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldintake View Post
I am proposing opening up a Paypal fund for OP. The funds will directly be used in purchasing a farm so that OP can grow some balls.
alwaysbored786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:57 AM   #7
pjo33us

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrogan0319 View Post
keep me posted on what you find, im having a similiar problem with my canister.. any easy fix guys?
I noticed it again this morning... The smell is only in the cabin and only present before starting the car... as soon as I start it the smell disappears. It does not appear to be as strong as originally stated although it is friggin cold outside here today (7d). I could not figure out exactly where the cansiter is on my car but ther is no smell anywher near the engine.

I will take a look under the seat tonight and I have not ruled out the fuel filter connections either. But, what would cause vapor from the tank/lines when the system is NOT in use? I see no leak/drip under car either.

Last edited by pjo33us; 12-03-2009 at 11:41 AM.
pjo33us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:06 PM   #8
xi_ter

My Ride: 2003 325xi
This is a realoem.com diagram of the fuel ventilation

some components can be stressed by a saturated canister which is below the trunk. Also check the purge valve and fuel injection rail. There is less fuel evaporation in cold weather.

Last edited by xi_ter; 12-03-2009 at 02:12 PM.
xi_ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:04 PM   #9
Novare330

My Ride: AA s/c AMBULAMPS
im having the same issue

would anyone be kind enough to walk me through some of the steps on how to check things out? it would be greatly appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbworld View Post
Need some opinion. Stock Titanium Silver coupe without spoiler, using the 2 Fast 2 furious skyline vinyl scheme. What do you think, do it or not? plus, i think it would look better then what most car members have here.
Novare330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:09 PM   #10
pjo33us

Quote:
Originally Posted by xi_ter View Post
This is a realoem.com diagram of the fuel ventilation

some components can be stressed by a saturated canister which is below the trunk. Also check the purge valve and fuel injection rail. There is less fuel evaporation in cold weather.
If there is less evaporation in cold weather, wouldn't the smell be stronger now? Or can the canister get saturated by some one time event?

Any idea why the smell disappears once I start the car?

Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:05 PM   #11
pjo33us

UPDATE: Smell is completely gone. I have done nothing. I have not even checked the fuel filter. I am now under the assumption that the evaporative canister in the rear near the fuel tank was saturated and that excess fuel has worked its way thru.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:13 PM   #12
mattcarle21

My Ride: is Breakin My Wallet
Eat less fiber

Autozone is for wannabee's, carefull cuz most of them want to be BMW owners - but can't.- Freeflow
mattcarle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #13
Bimmer_Addict

My Ride: E46 323i
Hello Fanatics,

I know it's an old thread but i don't want to start a new one, I've noticed the smell right after refueling and sometimes without. Also my fuel gauge is not so accurate, are they related, any idea on a DIY on how to take care of this issue, Help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

00 E46 323I current
08 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo current
08 E60 535I LEASE OVER
02 E66 745LI LEMON
98 E39 528I SOLD
91 E30 316I SOLD

Last edited by Bimmer_Addict; 10-04-2012 at 08:56 AM. Reason: horrible spelling!!
Bimmer_Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #14
HyeWarrior

My Ride: '03 325i --> '13 GTI
^
Parents jag had the same issue. Popped the rear seat bench off to inspect the gas tank seals, sure enough, they were in need of replacement. I'm guessing that could very well be the cause in e46's as well

Wow
So Amaze
Much Torque Steer
Such FWDoge
HyeWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, gas, interior, smell