E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-14-2014, 11:33 PM   #1
e46dub
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: chicago
Posts: 271
My Ride: 2000 328i
Question more power out of e46 328i

Hey guys just did a bunch of maintenance on my e46 so now it's time for some go fast mods haha.

I've been thinking about b30 manifold, ebay headers, auto323 diff(3.46 rear) and I hear 330 camshafts swap right in.

One question I do have is I know the computer will adapt to the b30 but what about the camshafts? Is there anything else extra I will need for the camshafts swap? I will likely have a professional do the install along with checking the lash. I'll be doing the diff, headers, and mani install tho. (I hate letting people work on my car!)

Also, for you who've installed headers my block has about 200k (super healthy) and I was wondering if you've had any problems with the studs coming out when changing the headers? I like to know ahead so I can pre-order some spare parts to have on hand.

and did you go catless or high flow cat? We don't have emissions checks where I live so either would be fine with me. I think high flow would sound better if I went straight pipe no resonators? I'm trying to get a nice sound out of the car, so I was thinking header back to borla muffler, or should i do header& cat, 1 resonator, and straight pipe? There aren't many 328i sound clips. I know they have to sound better than a 323 no offense

Any idea what this will net me in power? I plan on taking the car a few times to the track and going against my friends 2000 gtp.. which I don't think I'm far off from killing now.

mods now: Stewart Water Pump, new cooling system, Short ram intake w/heat shield, koni sport suspension, meyle hd cab's and fcabs

Last edited by e46dub; 06-14-2014 at 11:37 PM.
e46dub is online now   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:48 AM   #2
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !
 
Rob43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 4,181
My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46dub View Post
Hey guys just did a bunch of maintenance on my e46 so now it's time for some go fast mods haha.

I've been thinking about b30 manifold, ebay headers, auto323 diff(3.46 rear) and I hear 330 camshafts swap right in.

One question I do have is I know the computer will adapt to the b30 but what about the camshafts? Is there anything else extra I will need for the camshafts swap? I will likely have a professional do the install along with checking the lash. I'll be doing the diff, headers, and mani install tho. (I hate letting people work on my car!)

Also, for you who've installed headers my block has about 200k (super healthy) and I was wondering if you've had any problems with the studs coming out when changing the headers? I like to know ahead so I can pre-order some spare parts to have on hand.

and did you go catless or high flow cat? We don't have emissions checks where I live so either would be fine with me. I think high flow would sound better if I went straight pipe no resonators? I'm trying to get a nice sound out of the car, so I was thinking header back to borla muffler, or should i do header& cat, 1 resonator, and straight pipe? There aren't many 328i sound clips. I know they have to sound better than a 323 no offense

Any idea what this will net me in power? I plan on taking the car a few times to the track and going against my friends 2000 gtp.. which I don't think I'm far off from killing now.

mods now: Stewart Water Pump, new cooling system, Short ram intake w/heat shield, koni sport suspension, meyle hd cab's and fcabs

Well at least you didn't sign up yesterday & have 3 total posts,.....been seeing a lot of those lately.

Let's see:

1) B30 Manifold, Yes
2) Ebay Headers, Yes
3) 3.46 Diff, Yes
4) 330 Cams, No not worth it. You want bigger 264/248 or the ones you see below
5) ECU will adapt to bigger cams, but I'd get a Shark Injector or a custom tune if you can
6) Studs will be fine
7) Leave your stock cat-back alone until you get the headers installed
8) Steel brake cooling ducts with upgraded pads & fluid
9) And if you actually do cams,....install Supertech Valve Springs with Titanium Retainers



Good luck,
Rob43
__________________



Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:16 AM   #3
e46dub
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: chicago
Posts: 271
My Ride: 2000 328i
Haha, I've been here a while. Even you have helped me in repair threads

Why are the 330 cams "not worth it"? What gains will they net vs the 264/248 setup?
If it's not too much of a difference the 330 would likely be the cheap alternativE?

Do you know any custom tuners in chicagoland? or a place in which I can send off my ecu.

Last edited by e46dub; 06-15-2014 at 01:16 AM.
e46dub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:51 AM   #4
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !
 
Rob43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 4,181
My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46dub View Post
Haha, I've been here a while. Even you have helped me in repair threads

Why are the 330 cams "not worth it"? What gains will they net vs the 264/248 setup?
If it's not too much of a difference the 330 would likely be the cheap alternativE?

Do you know any custom tuners in chicagoland? or a place in which I can send off my ecu.
330 cams are only 240/244, the Schrick are 264/248. IMO, sending your ECU off is a joke as too a "custom" tune. Either your Bimmer is on a dyno or it's not, so sending it off to some company won't necessarily gain you any WHP. Several years back AA had a Group Buy for their N/A tune, everyone that bought in Lost WHP when compared to the Shark Injector.

So if you can get a Real custom tune while on a dyno,...great. If not, buy a Shark. My Shark has been running my 264/252 cams just fine for several years now.


Rob43
__________________



Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:58 AM   #5
e46dub
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: chicago
Posts: 271
My Ride: 2000 328i
that's what I figured. I just don't know anyone that tunes bmw's in chicago. Did a search and came up empty. So you think i'll have decent power from the manifold, headers, and shark? Trying to get more power without a supercharger. I'd really like to be low 14's

Last edited by e46dub; 06-15-2014 at 01:58 AM.
e46dub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:21 AM   #6
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !
 
Rob43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 4,181
My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
I'm a big fan of the cams, just get the right ones.


And there's always Nitrous........roughly $1200 to $1500 will buy a good working Wet system with 35 to 75 WHP & all the needed safety features, including a digital nitrous progressive controller.



Rob43
__________________



Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!

Last edited by Rob43; 06-17-2014 at 04:08 PM.
Rob43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:04 PM   #7
BartenderPlease
OEM ///Member
 
BartenderPlease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 9,358
My Ride: 328i Sport
You would be better off with an S50 or S52 intake cams (which can be set up for exhaust side as well if I'm not mistaken) if you are looking for cost-effective cams. Oher wise, the ones Rob said would be great, preferably the 252 exhaust ones in his sig if you want to flow the most air between all of these cam options.
__________________
Genuine New Parts FS
CCV valve

image
AERA Hi-Perf Engine Builder
| BBS | FK | Rogue Eng | K&N | Exhaust | 330i Brakes |
| b30 manifold | ported head | FX-R/Orion V4 | LEDs |
| Alcantara | Khoalty Knob | JL Audio |



Last edited by BartenderPlease; 06-15-2014 at 05:05 PM.
BartenderPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:26 AM   #8
e46dub
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: chicago
Posts: 271
My Ride: 2000 328i
iwas told in another thread s50 and s52 wouldnt work. can you elaborate on this?
e46dub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:37 PM   #9
BartenderPlease
OEM ///Member
 
BartenderPlease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 9,358
My Ride: 328i Sport
If I recall correctly, you take m54 helix gears and install them on the s52 cams. set up intake side as normal. for exhaust side, the letter that usually faces up should be turned 90 clockwise.
__________________
Genuine New Parts FS
CCV valve

image
AERA Hi-Perf Engine Builder
| BBS | FK | Rogue Eng | K&N | Exhaust | 330i Brakes |
| b30 manifold | ported head | FX-R/Orion V4 | LEDs |
| Alcantara | Khoalty Knob | JL Audio |


BartenderPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:13 PM   #10
watches chrono
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: lbk
Posts: 96
My Ride: 2000 328i
That was fo sho good info.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
watches chrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:36 PM   #11
e46dub
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: chicago
Posts: 271
My Ride: 2000 328i
just trying to get the love out there for the 328's.

Rob I'd much rather have the power on tap instead of the nitrous route. I enjoy this car as a DD
e46dub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:24 PM   #12
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !
 
Rob43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 4,181
My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46dub View Post
just trying to get the love out there for the 328's.

Rob I'd much rather have the power on tap instead of the nitrous route. I enjoy this car as a DD

That's fine, maybe there's a $4500 to $7000 dollar Supercharger in your future.

Just so we're clear, my nitrous is "always on tap" whenever I drive my Bimmer. I turn my bottle heaters on when I start it up & within minutes of that I'm at my desired bottle pressure,.....thus it's always on tap. While driving in mexico tonight,....there's a Vette driving around that now feels bad about itself.


Good luck,
Rob43
__________________



Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!

Last edited by Rob43; 06-28-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Rob43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is OFF





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use