E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 89 votes, 4.70 average. Display Modes
Old 12-30-2009, 02:31 AM   #281
miiikey31

My Ride: 00 BMW 323CI Coupe
why is it impossible to dye the interior imola red?
miiikey31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:37 AM   #282
neil1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by miiikey31 View Post
why is it impossible to dye the interior imola red?
If you read on leatherique's site, they go into some detail about the EPA regulating an ingredient that makes red dye legit I guess and that affects nearly everything from food coloring to clothing dye and even leather dye. Since the EPA has banned this ingredient from red dye, imola dye is now a weak dye and not strong like it used to be. Thus it can only be used to touch up already existing imola red leather and not for a color change. I guess it just isn't potent enough and if you try a color change to it, you will still be able to see your color underneath

I posted a little explanation in my OP, I was going to do imola red but I called them and that's what they told me so I did cinnamon instead. Cheers my friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1138 View Post
Some of you guys thought I would be doing imola red but apparently doing a color change to imola is near impossible to do. They explained to me how red dye isn't as strong of a dye as it used to be and how it would never turn out well because imola is just straight weak red dye, nothing else. But they said cinnamon would work because it was a potent dye with whites, yellows, reds and oranges in the dye. So I ordered 48 oz of cinnamon... this is gonna be tons of prep work, lol
neil1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:09 AM   #283
razahyde

My Ride: bmw m5 w/ boost!
threads getting stupid long, but what do you plan on doing for the tan pieces on the side of the seat? ordering new trim pieces? and is the leather on your seats the same as M cars? i know there's a few variations of the leather and iirc the M cars have nappa leather. i have spare interior for my m5 and ive been craving the caramel. the fact my car has the leather dash and door panels would make it even more epic....

legit project though

Last edited by razahyde; 12-30-2009 at 03:14 AM.
razahyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:23 AM   #284
neil1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by razahyde View Post
threads getting stupid long, but what do you plan on doing for the tan pieces on the side of the seat? ordering new trim pieces? and is the leather on your seats the same as M cars? i know there's a few variations of the leather and iirc the M cars have nappa leather. i have spare interior for my m5 and ive been craving the caramel. the fact my car has the leather dash and door panels would make it even more epic....

legit project though
Yeah hopefully I wrap this thread up quickly, it is damn long. But all of the tan pieces are being painted currently, if they ever even fail and nick/scratch in the future, I will just buy new pieces but for now the paint is turning out really well. I posted some pictures of the footrest a couple pages back, iliek

It's just normal e46 leather I guess, the back seats and door panel inserts are. But the front seats that you see dyed cinnamon are leatherette. So that's what makes this project legit/sketch, whichever way you see it

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2009, 03:32 AM   #285
derek0606

My Ride: 01 330CI Orient
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_n9ne View Post
what do you think he lied? you see the effort neil is putting into doing this project right, so why do you post such a dumb response like that?
I answered a question of his.... So I'm going to consider my source on this.
derek0606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:40 AM   #286
neil1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek0606 View Post
I'm confused, what was this supposed to mean?
Old 12-30-2009, 03:41 AM   #287
Titan 3

My Ride: E46 325ci ~ E92 328i
Send a message via AIM to Titan 3
Quote:
I really hope so my friend, I can't wait to just get everything done. Thank you for helping me

Calm yourself my friend, you think I'm lying to you guys? I scratched it really hard with my finger nail and jabbed it with a pen, no color came off. If it had, I would not have dyed the seats and I would have called the project off. Keep in mind, these are leatherette seats so prep took twice as long and I worked twice as hard. If the dye holds up on leatherette, it will definitely hold up on leather.

I just dyed these seats, they need to cure. If you are looking for some kind of reassurance that dyeing is a good option, I am not the person to talk to, Alec is. I'm sure his seats have been time tested and he would be glad to answer your questions regarding durability and longevity.
The E36 crowd has been doing this for awhile, most people have had trouble with their high traffic areas.. Driver seat specifically. From what I've read, 6-8 months in, the crack repair kit starts to break down and/or the dye starts to crack. The good news is, I doubt you're using much, if any of the crack repair. GL with the project, it looks great so far!!
Old 12-30-2009, 03:44 AM   #288
neil1138

good thing i haven't touched the crack filler bottle they gave me
Old 12-30-2009, 04:21 AM   #289
DragonStyle

My Ride: E46 M3
nice work so far
Old 12-30-2009, 08:28 AM   #290
razahyde

My Ride: bmw m5 w/ boost!
Quote:
Yeah hopefully I wrap this thread up quickly, it is damn long. But all of the tan pieces are being painted currently, if they ever even fail and nick/scratch in the future, I will just buy new pieces but for now the paint is turning out really well. I posted some pictures of the footrest a couple pages back, iliek

It's just normal e46 leather I guess, the back seats and door panel inserts are. But the front seats that you see dyed cinnamon are leatherette. So that's what makes this project legit/sketch, whichever way you see it

Thanks!
i see, so could you do this with the real leather i have in my m5? i want a mix of cinnamon and black. i have a spare center console in leather if you want to try it. or i can swing by sometime, either is fine if ur up for it.

-R
Old 12-30-2009, 05:34 PM   #291
derek0606

Quote:
Someone was Eavesdropping, saying I had a irrelevant post and that I should not post..... I am perfectly calm and sorry you took my questions hostile but I'm not a person to read something on the internet and immediately believe it's true. Anyways, thanks for the response and it was exactly what I was looking for. This is definitely something I am considering but I would hate to redo all of it in a year, that's all.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:30 PM   #292
neil1138

Quote:
Someone was Eavesdropping, saying I had a irrelevant post and that I should not post..... I am perfectly calm and sorry you took my questions hostile but I'm not a person to read something on the internet and immediately believe it's true. Anyways, thanks for the response and it was exactly what I was looking for. This is definitely something I am considering but I would hate to redo all of it in a year, that's all.
If with all of the pictures and information I have posted, you think I'm lying to people somehow in "reading something on the internet and believing it's true" then maybe this isn't the project for you. I did not make this thread to convince people to dye their leather and mindlessly argue with people, if you think I am taking my time and doing this job to the best of my ability, then great. But if not, there is no way I can convince you otherwise.

And shame to the members who for some reason give me 1 star ratings on this thread of all threads. What a joke, show me some support my friends. The car will be done by the end of the week, cheers
Old 12-30-2009, 11:17 PM   #293
mkodama

This thread is taking too long and therefore I will give you a one star rating. Take that!

In doing so, I will have somehow fixed the problem of not seeing the finished result. I am awesome.

(lulz, jk neil, I gave you a 5 to make up for the douchebags)

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:23 PM   #294
derek0606

Quote:
Can you do a scratch test for us to explain the durability of this stuff? I dont want my jean rivets to scratch them or some inconsiderate passenger.
Quote:
I did a scratch test and posted a picture of where I did it. Do you want me to make a video?
Quote:
Actually I was looking for something more than just saying you scratch tested. For example, did you use the back of a knife, finger nail, penny, etc..... Also how many passes it actually takes before you noticed the mar.
Quote:
Calm yourself my friend, you think I'm lying to you guys? I scratched it really hard with my finger nail and jabbed it with a pen, no color came off. If it had, I would not have dyed the seats and I would have called the project off. Keep in mind, these are leatherette seats so prep took twice as long and I worked twice as hard. If the dye holds up on leatherette, it will definitely hold up on leather.

I just dyed these seats, they need to cure. If you are looking for some kind of reassurance that dyeing is a good option, I am not the person to talk to, Alec is. I'm sure his seats have been time tested and he would be glad to answer your questions regarding durability and longevity.
Quote:
I lol'd but then this made me feel warm and fuzzy inside
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan 3 View Post
The E36 crowd has been doing this for awhile, most people have had trouble with their high traffic areas.. Driver seat specifically. From what I've read, 6-8 months in, the crack repair kit starts to break down and/or the dye starts to crack. The good news is, I doubt you're using much, if any of the crack repair. GL with the project, it looks great so far!!
Quote:
Quote:
If with all of the pictures and information I have posted, you think I'm lying to people somehow in "reading something on the internet and believing it's true" then maybe this isn't the project for you. I did not make this thread to convince people to dye their leather and mindlessly argue with people, if you think I am taking my time and doing this job to the best of my ability, then great. But if not, there is no way I can convince you otherwise.

And shame to the members who for some reason give me 1 star ratings on this thread of all threads. What a joke, show me some support my friends. The car will be done by the end of the week, cheers
I didn't pick a fight; I asked legitimate questions..... you are jumping down my throat as if I accused (putting words in my mouth) you of lying but I was just trying to get a better idea of what your scratch test consisted of.... If that insults you then I have no idea how you've made it this far in life.... I have not argued, merely justifying my points because you keep accusing me of something different..... You must have got an A in psychology... Now keep your thread on topic instead of poking at me..... God forbid, someone asked this poor man a question!

You can keep flaming but I hope other people found my question use full...

Once again, maybe you need to consider your own advice; "Calm yourself my friend."
Old 12-31-2009, 02:52 PM   #295
668Ci

My Ride: 2.5 ASA Technik SKI
Great work so far. Dye job looks very good. knowing the work involved and seeing some of the negative feedbacks on here, I would just forget about posting updates in this thread and just be content with your new interior when it's done. Let others who complain try it on their own and use a knife, nail or whatever they want to scratch their own seats.

668Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:53 PM   #296
braymond141

My Ride: 96 M3, 98 M3, 01 M5
Quote:

It's a god damn digital gold star, SHUT UP. I hate what youtube has done to people...

Quote:
I didn't pick a fight; I asked legitimate questions..... you are jumping down my throat as if I accused (putting words in my mouth) you of lying but I was just trying to get a better idea of what your scratch test consisted of.... If that insults you then I have no idea how you've made it this far in life.... I have not argued, merely justifying my points because you keep accusing me of something different..... You must have got an A in psychology... Now keep your thread on topic instead of poking at me..... God forbid, someone asked this poor man a question!

You can keep flaming but I hope other people found my question use full...

Once again, maybe you need to consider your own advice; "Calm yourself my friend."
You asked a VERY important question and it deserved to be answered correctly and not attacked.

How many people have re-dyed seats?
How many people reported failure of that dye shortly thereafter?
How many people reported failure from Leatherique products alone?

I'm a leatherique fan (of their leather care), but the answer to ALL those questions above is A LOT.

You're probably better off asking Neil how great the seats look in a year Derek. I'm sure you'll get the same answer so many others have found out.

Central California BMW Parts Swap
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1526941747526167/

Last edited by braymond141; 12-31-2009 at 02:57 PM.
braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:10 PM   #297
330ciandr6

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to 330ciandr6 Send a message via Yahoo to 330ciandr6
oh the drama.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:14 PM   #298
Fluxe46

My Ride: is low and slow
Send a message via AIM to Fluxe46 Send a message via MSN to Fluxe46 Send a message via Yahoo to Fluxe46
Neil

Don't listen to them, if anyone is not gonna half ass something it's you.

Neils do it right modding ftw
Old 12-31-2009, 03:35 PM   #299
braymond141

My Ride: 96 M3, 98 M3, 01 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluxe46 View Post
Neil

Don't listen to them, if anyone is not gonna half ass something it's you.

Neils do it right modding ftw
No one ever said he's half assing anything. I think he's doing an amazing job... unfortunately he's using products that are known to fail quite easily.

Central California BMW Parts Swap
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1526941747526167/
braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:16 PM   #300
neil1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by braymond141 View Post
No one ever said he's half assing anything. I think he's doing an amazing job... unfortunately he's using products that are known to fail quite easily.
Well in my research and from what Mike told me, crack filler is generally the product that tends to fail over time creating cracks in the dye. I can only hope that the cases you are referring to were the result of improper prep. I know that I worked on my seats for 10+ hours before I even got to dyeing them. I can only do the best job that I can and hope that my work stands up to time. In the case that the dye does fail in a year, well that's something that I will worry about then. All I ask is that you do not pollute this thread with that talk right now. I am doing the absolute best job I can, in prepping the leather and dyeing to the best of my ability, I can guarantee everyone here that. Cheers

Tags
cinnamon, cinnamon interior, drama, dyeing, epic, is taking too long, leatherique, neil drinks yoohoo, pure sex, sexy seats, will never be like oem