E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2009, 03:59 PM   #1
B.I.G.blue

My Ride: 325ci
New to racing

I'm looking into getting involved in my local racing club, and I was wondering if any of u guys had any tips on where to start moddifing or bassicly what should I do to hit the ground running. Currently I own a 2005 325ci. Thanks in advance to anyone who post.
B.I.G.blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.I.G.blue View Post
I'm looking into getting involved in my local racing club:
What club ? SCCA, NASA, EMRA.......tell us which one. Next don't do anything
without that clubs "rule book".

Rob
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:49 PM   #3
B.I.G.blue

Actually I dont know. I actually just got word of some people that were gattering in the weekends and just going to the track, 1/4, or just simply have a good time. But anyway if you guys could explain what are the differences of the regulations i would be glad.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:53 PM   #4
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
first thing is buy a good helmet. the new snell rating is coming out soon so you want to get the 2012 (?)

i would say your best friend is a DE and driving schools best mod you can do is teach yourself to drive and all that ****. however i would recommend some sort of race springs/shock combo, sway bars and very important - low weight wheels and wide tires ....
Old 12-13-2009, 04:57 PM   #5
B.I.G.blue

thanks mvrk10256. The one thing I allready was planing on doing was the helmet, since its a requierment to get into the track. Talking about the sway bars and shocks and all of that, what do you recommend for a sporty ride on the weekends but comfortable enough for a daily driver. If you could advice me on some wheels and tires that would be
Old 12-13-2009, 05:39 PM   #6
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
I'd start with seats and/or belts, a new set of brake pads, tires, and new brake fluid. Safety first.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:27 PM   #7
B.I.G.blue

Which makes the best, based upon personal experience, safety gear and suspention (sway bars specially).
Old 12-13-2009, 07:33 PM   #8
SpeedDemon

My Ride: 08 M3/05 ZHP/08 R32
Like someone else said. Don't start modifying the car until you know what you want to do with it. If you are going to start racing competitively then you need to look at a rule book and figure out what you are allowed to do in that league as far as modifications go.

But if you are just going to be doing recreational track days, high performance driving events/schools, lapping days, etc. then you can modify however you want as long as safety is the first thing you take care of. A good way to start though would be in this order:
  1. Make sure that your car can pass tech inspection and that all of the maintenance is up to date and that all of the suspension is 100%. Always make sure that you have high performance brake fluid like Ate Super Blue or Type 200 and that it is changed every 6-12 months if not more.
  2. I always recommend that you go out and buy the best helmet you can afford in your budget; most people start with either a Bell Mag 4 or an Arai GP-Jet open face helmet. Open face helmets are good for driving schools since it makes it easier to talk to your instructor.
  3. Next get some good gloves; the best you can afford in your budget, but I highly recommend the Alpinestars Tech 1-ZX.
  4. Make sure you have eye protection, some Smith sun glasses with swappable lenses are a good fit since they allow you to use either rose, brown, or clear lenses depending on the weather.
  5. Get some upgraded brake pads. Performance Friction "New Z-Rated" brake pads are a great place to start with full race pads coming later.
  6. Then move on to make sure you have a good set of Max or Extreme Performance Summer Tires. Light weight and wider squared wheels are a good idea if you can afford it at this point too. DOT-R and full slicks can come later.
  7. You'll want some suspension upgrades eventually but these aren't necessary to get started... dampers, springs, camber/caster plates, bushings, and sways in that order.
  8. The sky is the limit from here but there is no need to venture down this path until you get some serious experience under your belt; roll bar/cage, seats, pedals, stripping down the interior, removing unneeded components, upgrading the cooling, limited slip differential, power upgrades, etc.
Have fun!!! Just make sure to figure out what your budget it is and what you want to get out of it and you'll have a great time.

Last edited by SpeedDemon; 12-13-2009 at 07:55 PM.
SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:40 PM   #9
e46techtuner

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I'd start with seats and/or belts, a new set of brake pads, tires, and new brake fluid. Safety first.
very good advice. i wouldnt buy any modifications, suspension or power wise. just get good pads and brake fluid. learn do drive with what you have before you start modifying.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:29 PM   #10
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrk10256 View Post
first thing is buy a good helmet. the new snell rating is coming out soon so you want to get the 2012 (?)
The Snell SA 2010 standard release has been set back to October 2010.
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:41 PM   #11
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
the comment about learning with what you got before modifying is a good approach. but in reality many of us are not that smart/patient. I would say get the helmet, schlockt (?) is a safety belt company that makes these trick belts that fit into the rear seatbelt anchors so you can click em in for race day and then click them out. great 4 point harness. drove a friends car taht had it on stock sports seat, and the grip was excellent. The brakefluid is a definite, however if your pads are fine i see no reason to replace them. i autocross on stock BMW pads and have no problem overpowering my tires.

however i am currently sititng on H&R race springs, and have tokico blues sitting in my closet awaiting install. Obviously i havnt driven on them but just a hand compression check they are a lot stiffer then stock. koni adjustables are also popular. as well as bilstines. As far as sway bars i would say get the hotchkiss front and rear kit from bimmerworld.com they are about 400 bucks. i am saving up for those next for my 323i.

but some good tires and driving lessons, DEs, and just experianced ride alongs are the best mods you can do.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:56 AM   #12
SpeedDemon

My Ride: 08 M3/05 ZHP/08 R32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrk10256 View Post
he brakefluid is a definite, however if your pads are fine i see no reason to replace them.
Stock pads may work for Auto-X but they will not last more than a lap or two on a real road course.
SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:01 PM   #13
e46techtuner

My Ride: 2000 328i
I used stock pads on a track once. My silver wheels looked black and I was just about metal to metal at the end of the day.

Hawk HPS are good for autocrossing, stock pads will do just fine too. Basically anything that doesn't require heat.